Jay & Miles by ColumbusGuy

CG update...

I talked to Marlin for over an hour... shorter than last time lol, and he's at home now, and slowly getting used to moving around in it. Some things have been moved because of some work he had done. He had a small issue with his blood sugar but that is being sorted... he took my lecture very well, and he promises to stay on top of things... I told him it was just important to him, but to all of us who want him back here... he thanks us all for caring so much... he did see a colleague of his doctor's before he returned home on Friday, and his distance vision has improved a wee bit... pressure is up in his eyeball, but the doc says that's okay. If he gets really close to the tv screen, he can make out the guide which is awesome, and when he watches the tv he can make out figures if it is in color... all in all, he's doing well. He wants to try the computer just to find out, but he agrees with me that he should be patient, and wait till his friend Derrick gets there next Saturday to set it up for him. They are going to shop for a new computer for him, and set him up with some non-sighted programs next week... That's all for now... I told him we all care very much and send our love and he did the same to us... he is very appreciative that we care.... cheers... I'll talk to him next week and keep everyone posted...

Hey, tim, sorry I didn't see this... above is the answer to your questions :boy:

Glad he's doing better!  He's a fighter and that's a good thing. Sending him positive thoughts and best wishes. 

• Like 1

From the CotT forum

That sounds like brilliant progress for him. Thanks for the update Gary and please pass on my best wishes for more improvement to come and of course a :hug: and  :kiss:

I have and I will again... he really is blown away by hoe we all care... I could hear the emotion in his voice... it means so much to him that he has a family here... he didn't say those exact words, but it was very apparent that we are like a lifeline for the man... I've said it before... he is such a sweet guy...

Just wait until he's back on here, then he'll really hear how much he's been missed. :)

Happy to hear CG is doing better and staying positive. Can't be easy. Sending all positive thoughts... 

I'm so happy for CG that he is having some positive things come his way and I am wishing for more on his behalf. :)

It's always great to hear good news about CG.. Thanks Gary.. 

• Like 1

Have a terrific Birthday CG. 

:wizard:  :great:  :wizard: 

We are all missing you something awful but Gary gives us updates on how you are, regularly. Keep you chin up, keep working hard at getting well. Can't wait to see you back here again. 

Love and best wishes, 

tim xo

• Like 2

CG Update...

I talked to CG tonight for over an hour and he is doing pretty well. He is all set up with a new computer, with programs to help him write. His vision is about the same but there is a haziness that they are trying to correct by putting him back on more frequent drops. He has Narrator software that allows him to read, but he won't be logging on to GA for a while yet... he has a lot to get used to with the new programs... he may have something next weekend for me to edit... we're going to try a few different things to see how it will work. We are getting closer to having one of our own back... that's all for now... just remember that he may be slow to respond when he does finally log on... Gary....

It's great that he could be back here soon.  Tell him I'm sending him a big :hug: and :kiss: 

And also with him a happy belated birthday for me.  Apparently I missed it when I wasn't around   :blushing:

• Site Moderator

CG Update...

I talked to CG tonight for over an hour and he is doing pretty well. He is all set up with a new computer, with programs to help him write. His vision is about the same but there is a haziness that they are trying to correct by putting him back on more frequent drops. He has Narrator software that allows him to read, but he won't be logging on to GA for a while yet... he has a lot to get used to with the new programs... he may have something next weekend for me to edit... we're going to try a few different things to see how it will work. We are getting closer to having one of our own back... that's all for now... just remember that he may be slow to respond when he does finally log on... Gary....

Thanks for the update Gary. I hope everything goes well with the new computer programs as I am sure CG misses writing very much. He must be chomping at the bit to get back to it...reclaiming his life and all that. :hug: and :kiss: for CG :)

Edited by Reader1810

CG Update...

Great and encouraging news! I'm happy that he will be able to find a way to do what he loves.  It will be beyond exciting when he is finally able to log on. All my love CG and my continued well wishes..  :kiss:  :hug:

CG Update...

:D :D :D I am so happy that he'll be back soon! I've missed CG so much and it's so good to hear how well he's doing. Here's a big :hug: for CG. :)

from the CotT topic

That's awesome... Thank You so much for the Good News Gary. I may be don't know the guy, but I had heard all from you guys that I am happy for him being healthy and coming back. After all he is of COTT family, right!!!???

Will look forward to reading it. I edited for someone who used dictation software, the only things I found I had to keep an eye out for were like sounding words.

That's wonderful Gary. I can imagine how emotional this must be for you as you think about the circumstances behind what you see on your screen. Sometimes, technology is truly a blessing. :hug:

What Reader said. :yes:

I'm sure there's no need to bother CG with the minor edits, only the important suggestions or comments. You're just awesome for doing his for him - and us. :hug:

That's great!  It'll be nice to catch up with the boys again.  

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2

<Big sigh>  I edited the first part of CG's new chapter... because of difficulties with CG's sight, I am just going ahead and making the changes I see fit. It's a huge responsibility, but as Marlin says... he always uses my suggestions anyway. I am surprised he's able to do what he can with the software... what he sent me wasn't much different from normal... I am so freaking happy for him... I'm kind of emotional right now... we have our CG back, and soon he will post, and hopefully, soon he will visit... I am trying not to call too often because the phone charges are crazy... not that I mind... just trying to be sensible. If I do talk to him soon, I will update.... Cheers.... Gary...

This is awesome news Gary! :hug: and yeah it is pretty emotional to realie that we'll have CG back with us soon, I'm just so happy for him! :)

I've been on the phone to CG. It's been very frustrating dealing with the new software. He couldn't open the edited version I sent him... we figure it's because he uses an old version of word... 2003... his friend Derick tried a few things, but they didn't work, so there is a delay. CG is going to try to find a newer version of Word on ebay. We'll get it sorted eventually. His eyesight is still pretty much the same. He has another appointment on the 30th, and then an eyeglass appt in May. They think glasses may help. I told him you were all happy to hear his story was now progressing and that he might be visiting us soon. The narrator program reads to him so he has caught up some.... G

• Like 1

I've been on the phone to CG. It's been very frustrating dealing with the new software. He couldn't open the edited version I sent him... we figure it's because he uses an old version of word... 2003... his friend Derick tried a few things, but they didn't work, so there is a delay. CG is going to try to find a newer version of Word on ebay. We'll get it sorted eventually. His eyesight is still pretty much the same. He has another appointment on the 30th, and then an eyeglass appt in May. They think glasses may help. I told him you were all happy to hear his story was now progressing and that he might be visiting us soon. The narrator program reads to him so he has caught up some.... G

Gary, you can save down to Word2003 for Marlin. MS does not make it easy anymore, but it's doable :)

I have no idea about the technical side, but here's the discussion in the CotT forum

That's good to hear! :)

Does CG's computer perform regular updates? Because, I had Word 2013 on my laptop, but in one of the updates, it was upgraded to Word 2016. So, maybe it can happen for him too.

I hope he gets everything sorted out.  I know computers can be frustrating if they refuse to do what you need them to do.  For now could you save  your edited version differently?  There should be an option to save it as a Word 97-2003 document (its in the drop down menu below where you would put the file name)

I edit in Google docs, right out of gmail, and there is no way to save it differently... I don't use my word because of problems I had with editing "Landfall".... and remember, you're dealing with a computer idiot... anyway, Derick believes he needs to upgrade word so there are no glitches in the narrator???

I have accomplished nothing today.... :unsure:

Oh, that sucks.   :/  Yeah he may need to update his Word program then if that's the case.  I wonder if he can get funding for it through the National Institute for the Blind?  I know the Canadian equivalent (CNIB) helps offset the costs of these sorts of things.