It`s your story...Right? 

You just rate it mature if there`s explicit content, and that`s all your responsibility. :2thumbs:

Maybe give a warning at the beginning of the chapter.

It all feels a bit...confusing though...Are you responsible to satisfy readers, or write a story. So...Since you`re writing, and already have positive feedback, you`re probably doing a great job with the content, so...I think just go ahead with writing it the way you feel like. :) :yes:

So it seems that people mostly think it's story/character driven - which I can understand, and am minded to agree with.

But...

There's a reader who is (presumably) genuinely feeling affronted.  Yes, there's positive feedback too, and apparently much more than the negative (although there's presumably an inherent bias in that, as people are less likely to make the effort to leave negative feedback, they just stop reading and move on).  I'm not suggestion that we should aim to please every reader every time, that's obviously crazy talk.  But isn't there any sense of balance between responsibility towards the story/characters and to the reader?  Ideologically, I think the answer I prefer is 'no'.  But is that good enough?

• Like 5

I still think a warning in the preface to the chapter (or in the story description) is advisable. As I said earlier in the Comments you referred to above, I don’t think people will necessarily agree with me. I feel my suggestion is a middle path where characters do as the authors feel they should, but a suggestion is made to the readers that their actions might not be advisable. A reference to safe sex behavior is all that I think is necessary, further details should be apparent to most readers.

Note: I was not the reader who was “appalled.”

14 minutes ago, Puppilull said:

I've had a few readers get well and truly angry and upset with me for writing my characters like I do. It did surprise me at first and I even thought about apologising, but instead decided to try and explain. I lost a reader, but we parted on good terms. 

If it's the person I think. He has left 4 other authors stories. Very narrow idea on what world is.

Edited by BlindAmbition
  • Like 3
  • 4 months later...

People have dangerous, unprotected sex all the time in real life, and more then a lot of people think. You are writing a fiction story I presume, so you really have no obligation to portray the “ideal” or give warning. Your only obligation is to tell a story the way you want to. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 8/31/2017 at 5:32 PM, droughtquake said:

I still think a warning in the preface to the chapter (or in the story description) is advisable. As I said earlier in the Comments you referred to above, I don’t think people will necessarily agree with me. I feel my suggestion is a middle path where characters do as the authors feel they should, but a suggestion is made to the readers that their actions might not be advisable. A reference to safe sex behavior is all that I think is necessary, further details should be apparent to most readers.

Note: I was not the reader who was “appalled.”

Warnings suck. This is just more liberal political correctness. If anyone finds something they don't like in a story, they should stop reading. And if as an author I don't like comments by readers I should stop publishing. What the hell happened to personal responsibility and thinking for ourselves?

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1