Open Club  ·  135 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

1 hour ago, Marty said:

Thanks guys! :thumbup:

It was a really enjoyable day.

Spent several hours discussing the state of the world over tea, cookies and cake.

I then called in on an ex-colleague of mine, and had to drink more tea, and admire and praise his garden. He's high risk as far as covid-19 is concerned as, although he's only in his mid-fifties he suffered a massive heart attack about ten years ago, which he was lucky to survive, and has lung problems. So we met in his garden, and never came closer than four metres from each other.

I then called out to another friend, whose son came out as gay a few months ago. Although he's 21, he still lives with his parents, and his mum had contacted me asking if I could have a chat with him. She is supportive, as is dad, but is concerned about the fact he may be meeting lads through the Grindr app. She's not opposed to that per se,  just concerned about the current covid-19 and social distancing. I was actually surprised she knows about Grindr, as she is no spring chicken! Their children were adopted when they were unable to have any of their own after years of trying. So, as she lives close to the friends I was visiting, I rang her and arranged to call to the house after the picnic at my friends. I've known the family for about fifteen years, so the son has known me since he was around six years old. He is aware (as are his parents) that I am also gay, so he was more than happy to have a chat with me about gay issues. Mum left us alone at a picnic table in the garden, and the chat just flowed. He has met one lad since the lockdown, but all he did was take a walk with him and refused to even hold hands, as he would be worried about bringing the virus into the house and possibly infect his older parents, especially his mum who has a few health issues of her own. That 'relationship' died a death as a result. He told me he's currently chatting to another lad online who lives about 40 kilometres (25 miles) from him, but they've both agreed that, until the pandemic is over, they won't even think about meeting. I dropped into the conversation the usual observation that not everybody online is necessarily who they say they are. He said he's already realised that.

I didn't tell him his mum had asked me to chat to him, which I think made the conversation a lot easier and more natural. We chatted for over two hours, and the only reason I cut it short was because it was starting to get dark and the midges were getting active as the day cooled slightly. And I had not brought a top out with me, so my arms were starting to be attacked by them. When I said I should head home he told me how grateful he was for me chatting to him. The family lives in quite a rural area, so he said I'm the first person in the near locality he has found to talk to who properly understands gay issues. I think he'll be fine. I did tell him about an LGBT youth group that meets weekly in a larger town about 30 kilometers (19 miles) away, and said I would find out when they plan to start the meetings again.

So an eventful day, but rewarding in more ways than one. But it was close on 11:00 pm before I finally got home. :yes:

happy-tuesday-friends-52650-15162.jpg

And a Happy Tuesday to you Marty. It seems you had a very good day. The young man seems to be well grounded but sure to benefit from thoughts from an older more experienced friend.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Marty said:

The family lives in quite a rural area, so he said I'm the first person in the near locality he has found to talk to who properly understands gay issues. I think he'll be fine. I did tell him about an LGBT youth group that meets weekly in a larger town about 30 kilometers (19 miles) away, and said I would find out when they plan to start the meetings again.

Hey, Marty.  :hug:  He sounds like a smart young man. He's lucky to have someone older and wiser like yourself to learn from.  :)

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Page Scrawler said:

Hey, Marty.  :hug:  He sounds like a smart young man. He's lucky to have someone older and wiser like yourself to learn from.  :)

Hi, Page. :hug:

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Ugh... it's going to be a long night.  We had severe thunderstorms just roll through with heavy downpours.  Apparently there's lots of tree limbs down and flooding.  My sump pump is going off constantly.  Unfortunately, it's because of my foundation issues. Water is pouring in at the corner by the sump pump.  I went outside to check the line, and everything's working properly.  The side of the house is flooded, so that water is going to just keep pouring in.  There's nothing I can do about it.  So tomorrow I'll have to call the engineer and get the repairs scheduled.  I don't think it can wait any longer.  Sigh. 

:hug: 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 6/2/2020 at 7:46 PM, dughlas said:

Glad he's doing better. I do not understand why some of these places seem to think they need to make changes when someone is doing well. I think it's mostly driven by economics. Your dad's med was probably more expensive or needed to be adminstered in a manner that was inconvenient.

Sometimes I think it’s so they are seen to be doing something

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

And now round two is here.  :unsure:  The sky just went from lightening for dawn to pitch black Armageddon.  :unsure:  I really don't need a repeat of last night.  Not sure the basement can handle it.  Ugh.  

Isn’t the weather supposed to be getting better for you? Summer and all that???

Keeping fingers crossed for you

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..