Open Club  ·  135 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

1 minute ago, Marty said:

Only in places like America, on Paddy's day. :P

They even poison their rivers with green dye on that day. :huh:

Hey we would not do that with our rivers! It would not be good for the river dwellers that live in them. And I love Paddy's Day, not only is one of my ancestors Irish, but my Aunt (favorite) was born on that day!

• Like 4

Never blame a writer for saying what is on their mind. We all know that all writers have a vivid imagination and they say what comes to their minds whether it is to hurt, sadden, make you cry, make you smile, or even shock you! I know cause I have a writers imagination at times! lol

Oh also, never get upset with a person with a vivid imagination cause that person might be you! lol

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

Don't dedicate it to me I don't like Bob Dylan:puke:

So how about Rod Stewart's interpretation of the song?

Personally I prefer this version of it.

Perhaps that's just because of the video accompanying it... :unsure2:

• Like 1
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, clochette said:

I'm obsessed with this song since I heard it a couple of days ago. He has a nice deep (and sexy) voice ;)

I love sea shanties. I remember we used to sing (chant?) them when I was at primary school in England.

But, whilst this one could become a bit of an earworm for me, I'm not sure whether I'd be really happy to have a sea shanty about whaling stuck in my head... :unsure2:

Here's a little backstory about the writing of the shanty, and the relevance of the word Wellerman:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soon_May_the_Wellerman_Come

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
22 minutes ago, Page Scrawler said:

I was reading a book called "Here the Whole Time", by Vitor Martin. It's an English translation of a novel originally published in... Brazilian Portuguese, I think? It was cute the first time I read it, but now that I read it a second time, I can see the cracks in the story. Felipe, an overweight young man, is forced to play host to his longtime crush, Caio, over Spring Break. There are several issues with the writing, and it's not just the shallow characters or plot. 

Brazil doesn't have "Spring Break" as we know it in the U.S.. The closest thing is Easter Vacation, which is two weeks long and ends with the holiday. In the book, the characters celebrate Carnival during this "Spring Break" period. But Carnival starts on a Friday and ends on Ash Wednesday. Ash Wednesday is seven weeks before Easter, which means, as far as the story is concerned, Spring Break  five months off-target.

Brazil also has one of the highest rates of trans homicide. Considering their environment, I'm surprised that more people wouldn't react negatively to the main characters. There are a few punks who pick on Felipe, but this seems to be more of a "fat" issue than a "gay" issue.

Aside from one use of the word "Brazil", and two instances of the word "Carnival" (as far as I can recall), there's really no indication that the story is even in Brazil. No cultural references or vibrant scenes. No mention of the music or dancing, no sign of the floats or bright, vivid costumes one usually associates with Carnival. It could be set in literally any town in the Midwestern U.S..

I'm not sure if it was like this originally, or if it was "tailored" for an English-speaking audience, but either way, I give it 2/5 stars.  :thumbdown:

Thanks for the interesting synopsis and critique, Page. :yes:

• Like 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..