Searching for a couple of stories

I haven't gotten any better at remembering to bookmark stories as soon as I start reading, so I am looking for two, the titles of which I have completely forgotten.  I'm not even sure where I read them.

The first is a story about a youngster who gets a job as a roadie, but soon becomes a singer with the band, replacing the unreliable lead singer.  He also falls in love with one of the other band members.  One or both of the other band members are the brother or brothers of the main character's boyfriend, and the father of the fired singer is a silent investor in the band and (possibly) the uncle of the brothers.  Can't remember why I stopped reading, but I'd like to revisit the story and see if it's worth reading further.

The other story is about a doctor whose straight best friend suddenly dies, leaving him with custody of the friend's son, the doctor's godson.  As I recall, the story opens with the doctor finding out about his friend's death while on the way to work at the hospital.  I don't remember reading much further than this, and again don't remember why I stopped.  It possible that both stories are in progress, and I read all there was.

Searching here on GA hasn't turned up either of these stories, nor has searching on Nifty, though I had fun looking at some of the stories that the searches turned up.  The boy band story isn't fanfic, so far as I remember—nor were any of the characters named Justin or Lance—not that my memory is as reliable as I'd always like, lol!  

Edited by BigBen
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator
On 2/13/2021 at 11:15 PM, BigBen said:

I haven't gotten any better at remembering to bookmark stories as soon as I start reading, so I am looking for two, the titles of which I have completely forgotten.  I'm not even sure where I read them.

The first is a story about a youngster who gets a job as a roadie, but soon becomes a singer with the band, replacing the unreliable lead singer.  He also falls in love with one of the other band members.  One or both of the other band members are the brother or brothers of the main character's boyfriend, and the father of the fired singer is a silent investor in the band and (possibly) the uncle of the brothers.  Can't remember why I stopped reading, but I'd like to revisit the story and see if it's worth reading further.

The other story is about a doctor whose straight best friend suddenly dies, leaving him with custody of the friend's son, the doctor's godson.  As I recall, the story opens with the doctor finding out about his friend's death while on the way to work at the hospital.  I don't remember reading much further than this, and again don't remember why I stopped.  It possible that both stories are in progress, and I read all there was.

Searching here on GA hasn't turned up either of these stories, nor has searching on Nifty, though I had fun looking at some of the stories that the searches turned up.  The boy band story isn't fanfic, so far as I remember—nor were any of the characters named Justin or Lance—not that my memory is as reliable as I'd always like, lol!  

The first one sounds like "Let the Music Play" by CJames.  I have no idea on the second one.  

• Like 3
On 2/13/2021 at 11:15 PM, BigBen said:

Pretty sure I read the second one ages ago, Ben, and I think it's a well known author. Does the ex come into the picture shortly after? Or a planned new date gets put on hold? I remember the timing was not the greatest for a romantic interest, and I seem to remember a female character being important to the story. If it's the same one, it would have been on GA. I'll think on it some more. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Pretty sure I read the second one ages ago, Ben, and I think it's a well known author. Does the ex come into the picture shortly after? Or a planned new date gets put on hold? I remember the timing was not the greatest for a romantic interest, and I seem to remember a female character being important to the story. If it's the same one, it would have been on GA. I'll think on it some more. 

Okay. I think I might have been thinking of @Cias, No Flash.  It is in Premium now. Not completely sure, but it's the one that slowly came to mind as I thought about a doctor and a kid. I still remember parts of what you describe, though, and it's driving me crazy. :)  

• Like 1
On 2/13/2021 at 10:15 PM, BigBen said:

The first is a story about a youngster who gets a job as a roadie, but soon becomes a singer with the band, replacing the unreliable lead singer....

The second sounds like a story by Quokka here on GA.  He has a story in which a doctor becomes guardian of two boys, and the younger has been severely handicapped as a result of an accident.  The sequel to the story I mentioned is posting now on GA, titled "Doctor of Dundee."  The original story was titled "Top End Doctor,"  and the boys are his nephews.

I don't know if that is the story you refer to, or not.  I am offering it as a possibility.  Regarding the first story, I have no idea.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

The first one sounds like "Let the Music Play" by CJames.  I have no idea on the second one.  

That's the story.  I don't remember yet why I didn't finish it.  Perhaps because of that sinister person in Chapter 3?   (I think it was Ch. 3.)  Anyway, it's good to be able to start it again.  I don't know why it never showed up when I searched here on GA.  Several of the different keywords I tried are right there in Chapter 1.

Many, many thanks, Valkyrie.  I appreciate your help.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, Headstall said:

Okay. I think I might have been thinking of @Cias, No Flash.  It is in Premium now. Not completely sure, but it's the one that slowly came to mind as I thought about a doctor and a kid. I still remember parts of what you describe, though, and it's driving me crazy. :)  

I see from Cia's post that it's definitely not No Flash.  I was going to say that if there were an ex-lover of the doctor's involved, he didn't make an appearance until some point after I apparently stopped reading.  Thanks so much for trying, though, Gary. 👍

18 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

The second sounds like a story by Quokka here on GA.  He has a story in which a doctor becomes guardian of two boys, and the younger has been severely handicapped as a result of an accident.  The sequel to the story I mentioned is posting now on GA, titled "Doctor of Dundee."  The original story was titled "Top End Doctor,"  and the boys are his nephews.

I don't know if that is the story you refer to, or not.  I am offering it as a possibility.  Regarding the first story, I have no idea.

I remember Top End Doctor well and enjoyed it quite a bit.  It's not the story I'm seeking, since Top End Doctor is set in coastal northern Australia, whereas the story I'm seeking was set in the western U.S., as I recall, possibly California.  I seem to remember that either the wealthy friend was raising his son on his own, or else the boy's parents were killed simultaneously in the same accident.  Also, if memory serves, one of the conditions of the will was that the doctor had to move onto the friend's estate and adopt the boy, his godson.  The estate was a fancy horse farm, perhaps?  I wish it weren't quite so vague in my mind.

Thanks to everyone for their help.  We're batting .500, at least, which is not too bad. 😄

• Like 4

I've been really enjoying Let the Music Play and its sequels.  Lots of fun!  C. James really seems to know how to write scary villains, huh?  Thanks to everyone for helping to track that story down.  I'm still perplexed about why it never showed up in my GA searches.  Oh, well.

Now, if only I could dredge up some better memory traces of that second story . . . (doesn't help that I can't even remember the site I read it on).

• Like 2

Navigator is a great story, and I loved it.  Fortunately I remembered to bookmark it, so I can reread at will.  I've also made sure to bookmark Let the Music Play.

Edited by BigBen
  • Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Well, I still haven't turned up the story about the gay doctor who adopts his godson, and since some of the details I posted earlier in this thread no longer ring a bell, it seems the story is gone for good.  Let the Music Play, however, gives a lot of pleasure on every re-reading, so thanks to Valkyrie for pointing me to it.

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd simply append a new query to the existing thread:  There is a collection of stories about some gay couples (at least three that I can recall) who meet in or move to Key West—and one of the guys ends up working at the Key West public library.  The story I'd really like to re-read was about two young orphaned brothers who make it to the island, travelling and living in their mother's old van (the elder brother is big enough to drive, though not old enough to hold a license).  To support themselves, they offer to care for the lawns and garden of the house of one of the couples, and they end up protecting and preserving said house through a hurricane, after the owners are called off-island by a family emergency.  At the end of the story, if memory serves, one of the couples involved in the collection (the homeowners? the librarian and his husband?) becomes their foster dads.  Searches on "Key West" yield plenty of hits on GA and Nifty, but none of them are any of these stories, while a search on AwesomeDude/Codey's World fails to turn up anything at all.  They don't appear to be on any of the other sites I frequent, either.  " 'Tis a puzzlement!"

Edited by BigBen
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator
On 2/16/2021 at 6:32 PM, BigBen said:

That's the story.  I don't remember yet why I didn't finish it.  Perhaps because of that sinister person in Chapter 3?   (I think it was Ch. 3.)  Anyway, it's good to be able to start it again.  I don't know why it never showed up when I searched here on GA.  Several of the different keywords I tried are right there in Chapter 1.

Many, many thanks, Valkyrie.  I appreciate your help.

You will like the sequel too :P Changing Lanes

For your second story about a doctor and godson and horses, it was a while back, but could it have been one of the many characters sets that made up @Andrew Todd's stories? His Riding Lessons Series has 3 stories I think as well as several interludes. Just not sure if their was a doctor/godson combination in there.

Your new story, I'm drawing a blank :( 

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion.  Riding Lessons and its sequels are great stories and are always fun to re-read from time to time.  But not the one I'm looking for, alas!  Guess I'll just have to hope to run across it by accident someday.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, BigBen said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  Riding Lessons and its sequels are great stories and are always fun to re-read from time to time.  But not the one I'm looking for, alas!  Guess I'll just have to hope to run across it by accident someday.

@BigBen, if you liked Riding Lessons and its sequels -- Lessons Learned and Second Chances -- and interludes, you would probably enjoy Empath's Kiss and its sequel, The Chosen, also by @Andrew ToddThe Chosen becomes a sequel to Lessons Learned at the end of chapter 5.  Another good story by Andrew Todd is Three Hearts, in which both dogs and horses play a part.  While it has seven chapters and a great ending, for now, Andrew told me in an email years ago he had tentatively planned for the guys in Three Hearts to meet some of the characters from Riding Lessons, etc., a few years down the road. 

• Like 1

All good stories, and all worth a periodic re-read, too, which is my diagnostic of a really good story.  And speaking of sequels, I am hoping against hope that Me, Too will someday be continued.  Not to mention Irish Summer, (sigh).

• Like 2
On 9/15/2021 at 3:02 AM, BigBen said:

Well, I still haven't turned up the story about the gay doctor who adopts his godson, and since some of the details I posted earlier in this thread no longer ring a bell, it seems the story is gone for good.  Let the Music Play, however, gives a lot of pleasure on every re-reading, so thanks to Valkyrie for pointing me to it.

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd simply append a new query to the existing thread:  There is a collection of stories about some gay couples (at least three that I can recall) who meet in or move to Key West—and one of the guys ends up working at the Key West public library.  The story I'd really like to re-read was about two young orphaned brothers who make it to the island, travelling and living in their mother's old van (the elder brother is big enough to drive, though not old enough to hold a license).  To support themselves, they offer to care for the lawns and garden of the house of one of the couples, and they end up protecting and preserving said house through a hurricane, after the owners are called off-island by a family emergency.  At the end of the story, if memory serves, one of the couples involved in the collection (the homeowners? the librarian and his husband?) becomes their foster dads.  Searches on "Key West" yield plenty of hits on GA and Nifty, but none of them are any of these stories, while a search on AwesomeDude/Codey's World fails to turn up anything at all.  They don't appear to be on any of the other sites I frequent, either.  " 'Tis a puzzlement!"

Could that second story be 'the good doctor' by T Audette or 'the doctor gets a visitor' by E. Walk. Though probably not the second because that's his own son. The first one is removed from the net because it got published and is being sold by amazon.

The Good Doctor: A gay, romantic, comedy. - Kindle edition by Audette, Terence, Hunter, Rock. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

• Like 1

Audette finished The Good Doctor?  Cool!  Last time I checked, Eric was driving a car he had just bought and (of course) arguing with Rose, and they seemed nowhere near a conclusion.  A real fun story.

I'll be sure to check out The Doctor Gets a Visitor.  I'm sure it's worth a read, whether or not it's the story I'm looking for.  I've liked others of his stories.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Edited by BigBen
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Well, I found the story about the doctor whose best friend dies and leaves his son to be cared for by the doctor.  It is called Green Lizards, and it's by Art West.  I found it on the Storylover site.

And it turns out that the other story, about the brothers trying to survive on Key West, is also Mr. West's story, Home Is Where the Heart Is.

Two for one!  Guess this is my lucky day. 😁

Edited by BigBen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1