[dkstories] Get well soon, Dan!

Sorry - got a PM about this too which was very appreciated. Hope the author of it doesn't mind, but easier to paste what I replied back:

Tomorrow's post of DOH will happen on schedule - DK talked me through how to prep and send the file to Myr... but as Dan is in the hospital for the next five days (and the next 2-3 of them in ICU), not sure if there will be a change in the above schedule.

You can't drop a bombshell like that without details and not expect at least someone to show concern about Dan's health. So: Best wishes for Dan's speedy and complete recovery. Passing along whatever good vibes I can send his way.

Sorry and thanks... Part of it, was I was exhausted when I posted - and part is they now finally know what is going on, but Dan doesn't remember the exact name. But they were happy that he came in early (most people wait for a day or two), and they started treatment.

Basically, he had a illness a week ago - just normal bug. But his antibodies fought that off, and then started attacking his nerve endings so he woke up Thurs morn, and couldn't feel his feet. So he's getting some kind of blood treatment and after the first one last night, he said he's already feeling more tingling in his feet.

I'll pass along your thoughts - and thank you again.

So now - update for everyone with a timeline now that I'm finally able to think myself.

About a two weeks ago, Dan had a minor stomach ailment - no big deal. Wednesday night, he had a bit of insomnia and was sitting up in the front room - and around 3am noticed his feet feeling like they had fallen asleep. Tried walking it off, gave up, went to bed and did get some sleep until the alarm went off around 7:30. At that point, he noticed his feet were totally numb (no feeling) and the bottom of his legs as well. Got up, had some tea and called the doctor (Kaiser) to make an appointment. The advice nurse went through a lot of questions then told him to go into the emergency room, rather than trying to wait for an appointment. So I took him to the hospital (he couldn't drive with his leg numbness, though he could slowly walk to/from the car).

The emergency room was slammed, but about an hour later (we got there at 10, so about 11) - he went back and saw a doctor. After 15 minutes, they sent him back out to wait for a bed to open up so they could run more tests. So about 11:45 he went back and started that. I waited around (emergency waiting rooms are SO fun :thumbdown: ) then finally was able to go back to see him at 4PM. He had just finished seeing his third doctor of the day, a neurologist. The initial diagnosis was Guillain-Barre but they needed to do a spinal tap to be sure. They did one later that night, and confirmed it is Guillain-Barre and admitted him.

The good news (and there is quite a bit) is that the neurologist said that usually people wait a day or two before seeing a doctor - so it is very good that Dan came in within 12 hours of it starting to be noticed. They started him with the immunoglobin treatment last night, and he had a second one this morning. When I saw him today, he was in a much better mood (though bored) and his signs are all good. He even said his feet were tingling this morning.

He'll be in the hospital a total of five days, so I'm guessing he'll be out Tuesday, or Wed morn at latest. He said they did talk about him maybe being out sooner if he responds well to the treatments. I told him as well about the good wishes and he said to thank everyone...

PS - Weird thing is I've heard of this syndrom, and when he started describing what the neurologist thought, even though Dan didn't remember the name, I thought I knew what it was. Checked this morning and was right... So anyone recognize the gay fiction connection?

Hey Dan and Trebs,

You did fine, quick reaction and following the best advise of your "home doctor". I know by experience how things go on slowly in emergency rooms, but the sooner you get there the better it is. The diagnosis of Guillain-Barre is not so easy and you were lucky that they could begin the treatement quickly.The strong nature of Dan will certainly help.

My best wishes for the success of it and keep strong, we are all with you both.

And let us know how he feels !

Get well quick, Dan. I'm glad you got treatment so quickly.

It sounds like they are more on top of things now than they were 20 years ago when a couple of women I knew came down with this syndrome about the same time. Both of them made fairly complete recoveries, but spent months in the hospital and in rehab.

Andy Griffith had it some time between the show about Mayberry and "Matlock," if I recall correctly.

Treatments are still going well (he had his third today). I just got back from the hospital a little bit ago. Visited him this evening along with Manuel, his best-friend/ex.

Dan's mood has been good, but I think in part that is because everyone (doctors/nurses/social worker) keep saying how remarkable it was that he came in quickly and started the treatment before things got too bad. They see too many cases (of this rare syndrome) where people wait a day or two, and the damage is much more severe and hard to combat. Dan is feeling more in his feet, and hardly any numbness in his lower leg (it was up to his knee by the time he was admitted).

He does still have weakness in his legs, and some control issues (he took a couple steps to the MRI machine and when he got to the machine, kept going rather than stopping...). But overall, everyone is very hopeful. And I have to say, EVERY single person at the hospital has been great - VERY friendly, very encouraging, joking and laughing at times with us. Plus - one of his day nurses is very cute, though he keeps talking more about his x-ray technician who was gorgeous - of course, Dan chatted him up. He plays baseball and track.

He will be kept at the hospital for the full five days of treatment, but they are talking about transfering him from ICU tomorrow to a regular hospital room. So - if everything keeps up well, I'm thinking he'll come home Tuesday morning.

BTW - I printed this thread earlier for him and took it into the hospital - he read it all and says to send everyone his thanks.

It sounds hopeful; especially because it was caught so early, and damage limited to the lowermost extremities. and if Dan reports his feet are tingling, nerve function may already be in the process of being restored. It sounds from your link about GBS that most long-term problems come in trying to regain muscle tone after paralysis and inaction of the muscles for long periods of time. If the immunoglobulin can quickly halt further deterioration of myelin, then it's just a matter of making sure that Dan hasn't lost any functioning of muscles in his legs and feet; if it's only a few days off of his feet, Dan shouldn't have any long-term problems. (I just had this weird vision that his rehabilitation therapy could consist of having his feet tickled; the resulting thrashing restoring his muscles to health. But then, I'm not a doctor, just someone capable of entertaining occasional foot-fetish fantasies. :*) )

Thanks for posting the response you sent to me for everyone. Although I saw it when I got home from work on Friday I wasn't able to get back on-line to GA for any substantial time until this evening.

--Rigel

Oooh --oh migawd! :( I can't believe it. I just found out....Dan please get well soon. I've read the thread & am happy that you will recover soon. My good wishes & prayers go to you & Trebs. :hug: Get well!

Rad