[dkstories] Get well soon, Dan!

• Site Moderator
:hug: to you both.

Dan, get better soonest, and Trebs it's important you take care too.

My thoughts are with you both,

Camy

Same thoughts from me too. Both of you take care.

Jan

EVEN better news - I'm at home right now, putting together a bag of his clothes - SO I CAN GO PICK HIM UP AND BRING HIM HOME IN ABOUT AN HOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya, I'm shouting - go figure ;-)

I was out of town and away from my computer and any Internet connection, so I missed this entirely. A few people here know that I'm a doctor and I'm not about to treat everyone's aches and pains over the Internet (believe me, I get enough of this from friends and family as is), but if there's anything I can do to help in some insignificant way, please let me know. My specialty is Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R), also known as physiatry. Most of my work is with spinal cord injuries, which is how I have the background for Love in a Chair, and this includes Guillain-Barre Syndrome. Treb is right - you are damn lucky you got treatment before the numbness and paralysis ascended further up the spine - in its most severe forms, it can paralyze the diaphragm, necessitating being placed on a ventilator. The typical patient spends weeks or even months in the hospital, so it's great news to hear you're going home so quickly.

Now even with treatment, it will probably be a while before you're feeling 100% back to normal. Don't be surprised if you need some time, but above all else, keep active. Push yourself up to but not beyond the point of fatigue. Unlike with muscle fatigue, which leads to an increase in muscle mass, nerve fatigue can actually lead to further damage of healing nerve fibers. The bottom line is to work on slow, but steady recovery. And if you haven't already been hooked up with either home therapy or an outpatient rehab program, insist in being sent to outpatient physical therapy. For one thing, your insurance should cover it, and it will help you get back on your feet faster, and with less of a residual deficit. We can talk more about this off-line.

Dan, I wish you a fast and speedy recovery! :2thumbs:

Don't hesitate to email me.

Altimexis

I want to thank everyone here for their good thoughts, best wishes, prayers, etc. I'm home, and it feels wonderful to be here. I plan to make a blog entry about everything soon, giving a few more details. One thing I'm going to say right away though is that we should all be very thankful to Trebs in this matter.

Last Thursday, I was being curmudgeonly and insisting it was 'no big deal'. I thought I could stay home, prop my feet up and it would go away. Trebs wouldn't let that happen. Wisely (he does know me pretty well by now), he didn't insist I go see the doctor. Instead he got me to call the Kaiser Permanente 24-Hour Nurse Hotline. Most insurance plans have these things where you call and talk to an RN. The RN I talked to told me I could go see the doctor, but I'd save a trip by going directly to the emergency room. She was good. During the call she made no attempt at diagnosis but made it very clear that I would be a fool not to follow her advice and go to the Emergency Room (I HATE emergency rooms).

I went to the Emergency Room, and now I'm home instead of breathing through a tube.

So, my thanks to everyone, but especially to Trebs for making me listen to good advice.

I just saw this thread, so as a new reader of Dan's writing, let me say that I hope the rest of your recovery from GBS is as swift as the prompt medical attention you got in the first place!

I haven't had to deal with a GBS patient, but my sister, who passed away from cancer this past year was also a stroke survivor, and she had problems getting EMS to take her to the emergency room as she had a series of strokes over several months before the stage 4 cancer was discovered. I would say from that experience, Dan, not only are you lucky you got into the emergency room quickly, you're equally liucky that the emergency room staff was on the ball as well!