Jump to content
    Parker Owens
  • Author
  • 219 Words
  • 1,961 Views
  • 10 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Disasters, Delights and Other Detours - 12. Stripes

I make my usual plea for tolerance and forbearance with my errors. Thank you for reading these many weeks.

Stripes

The road before me stretches o'er the land,
unrolled across the hill and stubbled field;
a scar which seems unlikely to be healed
until the final trumpet is at hand.
See broken stripes unnumbered like the sand,
inexorably to tires must they yield,
though round the bend, still others lie concealed,
for every foot of journey have they spanned.
They regulate the ways in which we pass,
defining roads on which we may proceed.
Yet just suppose that I, as bold as brass,
could drive outside the lines, transgress their creed:
and choose a way with verges made of grass,
to follow winding trails that leave me freed?


Wednesday

We met one sunny Wednesday afternoon
while busy crowds flowed through the muraled halls,
their conversations bouncing off the walls,
unheeding of the hug which hung the moon.
Yet there we were, our spirits all in tune
prepared to walk the streets and chance the stalls,
for lunch and friendship clamored with their calls,
as time for cheerful visits ended soon.
You introduced me, made me as your friend,
and so into your world was made a part,
but to a special place did we attend,
t'was there a sure embrace could swell the heart
and suddenly our universes bend
to set us on an ocean without chart.

I enjoy writing sonnets. If you have comments on these or on any of my other ones, please do leave your thoughts here.
Copyright © 2017 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 7
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

8 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I love "Stripes".  It brings to mind Tolkien's "The Road Goes Ever on and On".  I do a lot of driving and can really relate to this.  There's one minor typo.  I think you mean "...at hand".  

 

Wednesday is just as good.  You do this form very well, which is no surprise.  ;)  Nice job, as always. :hug: 

 And as always, my not-so-trusty iPad led to my typo. Sigh. I'm happy that you enjoyed these. My recent road trip suggested "Stripes." In fact, I am still seeing them...thank you so much for reading and responding!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Stripes makes me wonder if as a child you desired to color outside the lines.

The public intimacy of Wednesday is tenderly heartwarming.

Nicely done Parker.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I'm particularly moved by "Stripes" and the desire for freedom that is introduced at the end, creating an entirely new perspective on the poem. You're good at these unexpected turns and detours you take the reader on :P.

 

Wednesday was written well, and you are good at immersing the reader in your story. I'm fond of the way you ended in this one as well, universes without bend and ocean without chart. Pretty and heavy :).

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, dughlas said:

Stripes makes me wonder if as a child you desired to color outside the lines.

The public intimacy of Wednesday is tenderly heartwarming.

Nicely done Parker.

 

As a child, I was utterly unable to color inside the lines. And thank you for your comment on Wednesday. You captured my intent perfectly. I appreciate your thoughts so very much. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, BDANR said:

I'm particularly moved by "Stripes" and the desire for freedom that is introduced at the end, creating an entirely new perspective on the poem. You're good at these unexpected turns and detours you take the reader on :P.

 

Wednesday was written well, and you are good at immersing the reader in your story. I'm fond of the way you ended in this one as well, universes without bend and ocean without chart. Pretty and heavy :).

 

Thank you so much for your very kind comments. That you could feel immersed in the story in Wednesday makes me smile. For the flow of humanity going by, it was just an ordinary day. As for Stripes, I enjoyed doing my sonnet’s take on Robert Frost, whose ghost will probably throttle me in my sleep. I am glad you liked the sudden turn. Many thanks for your reading, and for your encouragement. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

As always, superb, in form, rhythm, and message. I related well to Stripes, and further to the metaphor I 'felt.' Wednesday gave me pause, making me remember something quite special. Thank you for that, Parker. :) Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Parker, i've never thought about lines on the road quite like that.  I'll have to get Michael to read, too ... 

 

Wednesday however was sweet and wonderful, thanks for sharing such a special moment. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

Parker, i've never thought about lines on the road quite like that.  I'll have to get Michael to read, too ... 

 

Wednesday however was sweet and wonderful, thanks for sharing such a special moment. 

 

Long road trips can provide food for thought; maybe it’s ‘road hypnosis.’ It would be madness to drive outside the lines, but there are roads where the lines aren’t needed...I am very happy you enjoyed Wednesday. I did, too. Thank you for reading and thinking these over. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Headstall said:

As always, superb, in form, rhythm, and message. I related well to Stripes, and further to the metaphor I 'felt.' Wednesday gave me pause, making me remember something quite special. Thank you for that, Parker. :) Cheers... Gary....

 

I am glad Wednesday made something nice come to mind. That makes me very happy to know. And as a cyclist, I imagined you would understand Stripes directly. Thank you for reading and letting me know your thoughts. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..