Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Disasters, Delights and Other Detours - 52. Summer Sense

More short pieces from the waning days of summer.

Summer tastes

like warm, blue afternoons

and ghost stories told by campfirelight;

it’s flavored by peach colored clouds before sunrise,

by tangy rainbow clad thunderstorms

or meteors sprinkled

in the stars.

 

July’s song

is the crunch of fresh beans,

and the sultry alto tanager

blending with a chorus of mournful cicadas

sounding over the food processor

as it transforms basil

to sunlight.

 

In August

the last warm breezes tease,

caressing the uneasy spirit

with soothing southwest airs which trail lover’s fingers

over sweat-soaked harvest time bodies

yearning at sun’s setting

for embrace.

Leave a comment if you like. I'm happy to learn what you think.
Copyright © 2017 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, Parker Owens said:

Thank you, tim. All sorts of strains make up the music of these days. I'm sweeping cicadas off my front steps, too - though soon they will be supplanted by katydids announcing the end of summer. You're very kind to comment on these.

 

1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

Wonderful poems.  Cicadas are ugly and i am tired of finding them at the bottom of the staircase in the morning.  ugh

💖

That aren't many cicada here as years past. Which somewhat desappoints the pup. He consumes them in great delight.

  • Like 3
  • Wow 2
Link to comment

What lovely portraits of summer. They fill the senses and make one appreciate the simple pleasures of the season. These are the things we long for on those cold drear days to come.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

"as it transforms basil

 

to sunlight."

 

I love this... and in the end it all comes down to sharing these delights with someone. You are a poet to your core, Parker. :heart: 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, dughlas said:

 

That aren't many cicada here as years past. Which somewhat desappoints the pup. He consumes them in great delight.

The pup might have his work cut out for him here.  Thank you for reading these and for responding to them. My hope is that you and I can read them in January and feel the warmth and the sunshine.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Headstall said:

"as it transforms basil

 

to sunlight."

 

I love this... and in the end it all comes down to sharing these delights with someone. You are a poet to your core, Parker. :heart: 

 

 

 

Thank you for reading these. You are right in saying that the sensual pleasures of summer are best enjoyed when they are shared. Perhaps these lines will help the warmth linger into the autumn.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Geron Kees said:

Ah! Wonderful, visual verse about my favorite season! Thanks for sharing! :)

 

I’m glad these lines made you smile. Perhaps they’ll help us savor the season a bit longer. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I love these, Parker. Lovely glimpses of a summer that is going by way to quickly. 

On 8/8/2019 at 2:52 PM, dughlas said:

 

That aren't many cicada here as years past. Which somewhat desappoints the pup. He consumes them in great delight.

We haven’t had as many cicadas here either, I noticed. I kind of miss the sounds. Not the sweeping up.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Defiance19 said:

I love these, Parker. Lovely glimpses of a summer that is going by way to quickly. 

We haven’t had as many cicadas here either, I noticed. I kind of miss the sounds. Not the sweeping up.  

Already the cicadas are being replaced by katydids, proclaiming the end of summer. But maybe these lines will make the glow last a little longer. You’re very kind to read these, and to comment. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..