Jump to content
    Parker Owens
  • Author
  • 199 Words
  • 2,059 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Disasters, Delights and Other Detours - 17. Splintered Science

All errors of theory are mine. But the lab work was a great deal of fun.

Diffusion

Diffusion helps the lowly cell
to feed itself and launder well
so many of its inmost parts
which students all find hard to spell.

So this is how nutrition starts
with microscopic a la cartes
just passing through the membrane wall
to fuel the mitochondric hearts.

It's concentration makes the call
if molecules will speed or crawl
across the permeable divide,
till equalized, their movements stall.

Tonight, when we lie side by side,
please concentrate, and in me hide,
that with our movements we might swell
and sense diffusion at flood tide.

 

 

Boyle's Law

No student slogs in mirthless toil
without the laws of Robert Boyle
infringing on his precious day,
his thoughts to muddy, churn and roil.

When gasses are contained some way,
the chemist heats them with dismay;
he knows that pressure is inverse
to volume in the pot of clay.

To cook a molecule's a curse,
for volume tries to grow, or worse,
it can't expand, so pressure's built,
with consequences none reverse.

It feels the same to hear your lilt,
and later, when beneath the quilt
with luscious heat you thrill and spoil,
so pressure's raised and I am spilt.

You need not have actually registered for the course to leave comments. I appreciate any that you leave.
Copyright © 2017 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, Headstall said:

Oh my, take me to school will ya? You get a gold star, Parker... especially for the final verse of Boyle's Law. :D 

 I'll take you to school and carry your books, too. Thanks for your very kind comments - and I am happy that the final stanza of Boyle's Law made you smile. It would have scandalized my teacher back in the old days...

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
43 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

Thank you very much, Moggy. The strong stomach might have been needed for a tussle with the digestive habits of the cell...and chemistry was not my strongest subject, either. I am glad you like these.

i guess i didn't need a strong stomach as i was a bio-chem major a MSU :P 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Why do I feel I'd pass any course you're involved in?  ;) As Val said, these are quintessentially you - witty, word-spinning verses which both return to love. Wonderful.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, knotme said:

These are great fun! One quibble: you don’t need Robert Boyle for mirthless toil.  I remember posting over the door to my highschool English class, “Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.” We meant it. But, had I the wit and guts, I would rather have posted such poems as yours over the door to Physics. (I didn’t take Biology.) My motorcycling History teacher could have embraced these, but the rest of them, including Physics, were too afraid of school board and parents. Still, I love the idea. Sex sells! Nice work.

 

I agree:  Robert Boyle is hardly necessary for mirthless toil, merely sufficient. I laugh about your post over the English classroom door. Better that than nailing 99 theses to the door, and far less tedious. I remember my English teacher holding the class completely captivated by explaining the raciest bits of Shakespeare to us...

 

Thanks very much for your reaction and commentary. I am glad you liked these.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, dughlas said:

Lust in a test-tube ... it's a scientific breakthrough.

 

Oh, the lusty scientists. If my chem teacher has used poetry like this to reach us, I think the class average would have been much higher. Thanks for reading!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, northie said:

Why do I feel I'd pass any course you're involved in?  ;) As Val said, these are quintessentially you - witty, word-spinning verses which both return to love. Wonderful.

 

Thank you so much. Your generous words make me blush. I am very glad these appeal to you more than the dry-as-toast texts we had to negotiate as students. I wonder whether my next exam paper should require responses in poetic form. Now that would be interesting.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

 

We would not be at all without the cell,

without a thought nor even sense of smell;

and even more, I think it very true

my words would not exist, if not for you.

 

Thanks for reading these, and for your encouragement.

i'll always be here .. maybe late...erm tardy?  LOL 

 

your words existed.. i just nagged you until you posted them.. :heart:   love you my friend xo

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
16 hours ago, Defiance19 said:

I wonder what the collateral would be if we taught like this today. Hmm. 

Brilliant, Parker.. 

 

Perhaps we’d have a student population that saw more connections, and fewer divisions between the humanities and the sciences. Just wishful thinking, I suppose. Thank you very much for reading and responding. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
16 hours ago, mollyhousemouse said:

Parker, you have a wonderful way with words!

these were delightful!
 

 

 

I am glad these tickled your fancy. Why shouldn’t science be sexy, too?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..