Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Disasters, Delights and Other Detours - 67. Distancing Hikes

In my retreat from the world, I've been able to go on long lone walks. Here are a few images to share.

In the woods,

carcasses of old trees

lie strewn upon a thousand autumns,

ancient oaks’ bones mixed up with newly downed beeches,

their hymns to the west wind forgotten

by new buds and the deep,

silent moss.

 

From the hill,

the world’s frantic frenzy

appears but a minor commotion;

the maples’ first hot blush at bold spring’s advances

sets scandalized robins atwitter,

yet they yield to grassy

temptation.

 

Mergansers

appear unannounced,

like some avian rock stars on tour,

resting between cities with fan-packed stadiums,

happy to grace the creek’s obscure waters

for a day before they

bus northward.


I wish you could join me as I ramble. But at least you can see where I've been. Thanks for reading.
Copyright © 2017 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Lovely :) I was right there with you.  I love all of them but the scandalized robins and rock star mergansers particularly stood out.  :) 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

Thanks for this look into your world. It doesn't seem so lonely. xo

Not so lonely now that you’ve let me share it with you. Thanks for joining me. I’m so glad you came along. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

Lovely :) I was right there with you.  I love all of them but the scandalized robins and rock star mergansers particularly stood out.  :) 

Funny to think that those robins still have hundreds of miles more to fly to the north. Mergansers are my favorite duck, perhaps because of their coif, but also because their visitation means spring is arriving at last. Thanks so much for reading these! 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

The first flocks of robins passed through here nearly a month ago about the same time a pair of mergansers visited the pond out back and the bluebirds returned.

While there are no woods for hiking here your words brought lovely remembrances of past Spring tramps back home. Thank you.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Poetic perfection, Parker. These poems are my kind of poems... the imagery speaks to me on a deep and rewarding level. Well done, sir. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, dughlas said:

The first flocks of robins passed through here nearly a month ago about the same time a pair of mergansers visited the pond out back and the bluebirds returned.

While there are no woods for hiking here your words brought lovely remembrances of past Spring tramps back home. Thank you.

How wonderful these birds visited you too! We seem to share a delight in their arrival, which gladdens me. I’m also happy you came along on my hikes. Thank you. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Headstall said:

Poetic perfection, Parker. These poems are my kind of poems... the imagery speaks to me on a deep and rewarding level. Well done, sir. 

I’m very glad these spoke to you. If you enjoy these scenes and visits too, then I am doubly happy. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

OK... mergansers was a completely new word. Or even a completely new species.  ;)  And your robins aren't our robins. Thank you for allowing me on your walks. I have a feeling such virtual walks will be important over the next few months.  

  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, northie said:

OK... mergansers was a completely new word. Or even a completely new species.  ;)  And your robins aren't our robins. Thank you for allowing me on your walks. I have a feeling such virtual walks will be important over the next few months.  

I’m glad you enjoyed this ramble, and seeing new birds and woods. Our robins aren’t the same, but both bring us cheer. Can’t wait for for the small green shoots in the forest to bud and bloom. Thanks for reading and for your reactions. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..