Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Disasters, Delights and Other Detours - 50. New England Skyscrapers

Poems from my recent vacation in New England. They might even make sense. Maybe.

July the Fourth

Quite a stir

on Independence Day

that colorful African shirt caused

in the middle of all those tasteful Freeport plaids

and tees urging a renewed greatness;

certain to cause chatter

next winter.

 

In the Meadow

Do you hear

the north wind calling out,

as it whispers through a thousand trees

giving voice to brooding hemlock and pliant birch;

one reasoning, another plaintive,

yet each green branch calling:

stay with me.

 

 

Visiting Grandmother

A hemlock,

green and adolescent,

now grows in my grandmother’s kitchen

where her chair used to sit facing the window;

flames consumed her house long years ago,

but my memories are

still burning.

 

Unexpected Encounter

Just at dusk,

a wolf, strong and sinewed,

paused on its journey through my meadow,

scenting something strange on the scarcely stirring air;

it turned about and stared back at me,

each of us assessing

the danger.

 

Gazing

More stars shine

over my head tonight

than there are fireflies in the tall grass,

yet these dance as brilliant as Cassiopeia,

trajectories bright as meteors,

challenging ancient gods

to name them.

I hope you enjoyed these postcards. I'm sorry the mail was so slow.
Copyright © 2017 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

As I read each one, I thought it was my favorite, only to say the same for the next and the next.  I like them all.  Visiting Grandmother particularly spoke to me, as did the constellation-fireflies.  

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

All were interesting. New England is a place I know well. 

Visiting Grandmother was particularly arresting. Very effective, the use of memory to revive a picture.

And, of course, New England has some wonderful starry skies. I never tire of watching them, watch us in return.

Thanks for sharing these thoughts! :)

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I am pleased your encounter with the wolf made it to the page. A vividly drawn image. Might the bear feature at some later date? You always write of stars and constellations so wonderfully - this was no exception. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thank you! All very good,

of course I'm partial towards the wolf's appearance..

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

Each is wonderful,  Parker.  July the Fourth made me grin.

I’m glad that made you grin. I confess I laughed about it long after the fireworks were over. Thanks for reading and for your comments. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Geron Kees said:

All were interesting. New England is a place I know well. 

Visiting Grandmother was particularly arresting. Very effective, the use of memory to revive a picture.

And, of course, New England has some wonderful starry skies. I never tire of watching them, watch us in return.

Thanks for sharing these thoughts! :)

 

Sunrise and stars in New England seem far different from what I know here at home. There’s not much left of my Grandmother’s house now, just the barn. The place never fails to bring echoes and ghosts to my mind. You are very kind to read these, and to respond. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

As I read each one, I thought it was my favorite, only to say the same for the next and the next.  I like them all.  Visiting Grandmother particularly spoke to me, as did the constellation-fireflies.  

I’m glad each of these made you smile in turn. My Grandmother’s house always has a special place for me in memory. Thank you for taking time with these. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, aditus said:

Thank you! All very good,

of course I'm partial towards the wolf's appearance..

Why am I not surprised about the wolf being your favorite? Thanks for reading these, and for responding. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, northie said:

I am pleased your encounter with the wolf made it to the page. A vividly drawn image. Might the bear feature at some later date? You always write of stars and constellations so wonderfully - this was no exception. 

The bear will have to wait his turn. The wolf continues to stay in my mind; I could see his facial expression. I’m glad that encounter resonated with you. Thanks for reading these, and for your thoughts. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

So good, all of them, but Visiting Grandmother really hit me, in a good way. July the Fourth made me smile... very clever, Parker. :D  As always, when you speak of nature, I hear you. Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thanks, Gary, for reading these and for your response. What’s left of the old house still evokes a thousand memories. I’m glad you could maybe hear them. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

All wonderful poems. I especially loved Visiting Grandmother, and In the Meadow. 

Thank you, Parker. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Defiance19 said:

All wonderful poems. I especially loved Visiting Grandmother, and In the Meadow. 

Thank you, Parker. 

Thank you, Def, for reading these, and for your comments. Those moments of listening to the wind - and hearing nothing else - are pure gold in a busy world. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

A wonderful set of postcards indeed. Rereading the collection a second time, I realize the import of the first one totally escaped me till now. It has a subtle, dare I say, New England brand of confrontation about it; a hint is enough to drive the message home like a nail.

The personal standouts for me are the grandmother's hemlock, and the wolf. The first poem brings up a lovely notion of spirit continuing here on earth in one form or another. Neither one precludes the possible presence of the others. It's a lovely deep poem. 

The wolf is striking for how it ends. Any smart animal will avoid man's unpredictability; it's the only sane thing to do. 

Thank you for these brilliant Skyscrapers      

Edited by AC Benus
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, AC Benus said:

a hint is enough to drive the message home like a nail.

You made me grin at your recognition of the dry New England humor. 

2 hours ago, AC Benus said:

Any smart animal will avoid man's unpredictability; it's the only sane thing to do. 

You’re so right. We’re not nearly as regular and habitual as we might think. I wonder what stories about people wolves tell their cubs.

2 hours ago, AC Benus said:

spirit continuing here on earth in one form or another.

I’m convinced that there are memory spirits all around the old place. I’m sure the hemlock wants to keep track of what the neighbors are up to as much as my grandmother ever did. 

Your comments are thoughtful, generous and kind. I’m very, very grateful. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..