Jump to content
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Disasters, Delights and Other Detours - 56. Temptation and Ignorance

Two more sonnets for an October week. Let the leaves fall where they may.

Temptation

 

Sad poison did I take, though it looked sweet,

a serpents rod the eye and heart beguiled;

and fool enough was I to heed the cheat

for when I bit the apple, oh, it smiled.

Its evil on my soul and body worked

dispersing through each organ, bone and limb,

so absence of its flavor ever irked,

yet no amount would fill me to the brim.

And though its rancid taste appalls the tongue,

no toxic pleasure soothing to my soul,

yet in my banishment a kind man sprung

to offer kindest words to make me whole.

If ever I return to Edens grace,

my friend across the miles will I embrace.

 

 

Ignorance

 

Long, long ago when ignorance I knew,

and fiction flowed unfiltered into fact,

constructed worlds and fairytales then grew

conforming to the ways one ought to act,

compatible with laws passed who knows when

which nurtured deep in simple, pliant brains

obedience to the point of loud amen

to one idea of ever afters strains.

Too early was I born the truth to hear,

a story which reality reflects,

yet ever will the mind hold brothers dear

who showed me how to love in all respects.

Though much too old to build my world once more

yet maybe present life we could explore.

I remain deeply indebted to @AC Benus for his help in making these intelligible and coherent. His advice and support have been invaluable. As always, I'm grateful for any response you may choose to leave.
Copyright © 2017 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Sad 2
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Two thoughtful and beautifully composed Sonnets! They show slightly different moods, and because of it, I'm drawn to the looking-forward (not backward) nature the first one. 

Both are great! :) 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

☹ hoping you are ok.

I’m okay; and very sorry to have caused you any worry.  I’ve been reflecting on what’s past, and on difficulties grappled with - and on dear friends like you who held out hands in support. Thank you - xxoo

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, AC Benus said:

Two thoughtful and beautifully composed Sonnets! They show slightly different moods, and because of it, I'm drawn to the looking-forward (not backward) nature the first one. 

Both are great! :) 

Thank you, my friend, for helping me turn these into readable sonnets. I struggled much more with Ignorance than with Temptation. Perhaps that still shows - that, or how easily I can be tempted. I’m very, very grateful for your help with these. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

There was a time we dwelt in ignorance of ourselves then some brave souls spoke truth and we stepped forth into the light of day. Sadly, there are those, bless their shriveled little hearts, happier wallowing in their ignorance who fear and despise us.

Thank you for the gift of your words.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, dughlas said:

There was a time we dwelt in ignorance of ourselves then some brave souls spoke truth and we stepped forth into the light of day. Sadly, there are those, bless their shriveled little hearts, happier wallowing in their ignorance who fear and despise us.

Thank you for the gift of your words.

You are immensely kind in reading these, and in your response. Ignorance is not bliss, as you so artfully point out. Thank you for your words, too. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Very interesting stuff. Lots of things going on inside those lines. But the end of each sounds positive. Good! :)

 

 

 

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Geron Kees said:

Very interesting stuff. Lots of things going on inside those lines. But the end of each sounds positive. Good! :)

 

 

 

 

I’m very glad these interested you. You’re right, there’s a lot going on in these, and I can only hope that wasn’t too distracting. Thanks so much for reading, and for your responses. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..