Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,727 Words
  • 96 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes.

Young and Hungry - For Life - 15. Yes Dear

“Oh my, it’s so good to you” Virginia said

“I know, I feel the same. I’ve missed our lunches together” replied Thomas

“Then we must remedy that and have lunch regularly, for a catch up”

“You remember what we called it”

“Of course I do, I remember the quiet times we shared together, like mother and son and the secrets we shared, plus the odd tear of two between sips of Champagne”

“Oh speaking of which, look what I found in the cellar”

“I thought you weren’t going to do that”

“I wasn’t, but I couldn’t get any in the local liquor stores, because of the pandemic, imports are restricted. But I didn’t want to disappoint you so...I found the last case of Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial in the country, in Jonathan’s cellar. Here’s two bottles and I’ve hidden the rest for you”

“You are such a treasure, thanks. But where are my manners? I see a young man waiting patiently behind you and probably wondering about us”

“Of course” Thomas paused and stepped out of the way “Virginia meet Dante...and Dante, this is Virginia, my friend, mentor, previous employer...and...plays many other wonderful roles in my life”

“Thrilled to meet you Dante, and as for you Thomas, stop making me sound like Mother Theresa”

“Pleased to meet you also, Virginia. I know what Thomas means, he didn’t stop talking about you all the way over”

“Just don’t believe a word of it, is my advice. Now you must meet my husband. Desmond where are you?”

After further introductions, Desmond took the wine and said “I’ll chill it just as I have been previously instructed and then serve it in our new set of coupe glasses. Do you know how hard it is to find those old style champagne glasses these days?”

Thomas smiled, knowing exactly what Desmond meant and how demanding this lovely woman can be when it comes to her favourite tipple.

“Now everyone take a seat and I’ll be back soon” said Desmond.

“Now tell me what you’ve been doing Thomas and how you met this handsome young man. I’ve got to say, you still have impeccable taste in men”

Dante smiled and said “I think we’re going to get on well Virginia”

“Oh we will, just so long as you take care of my boy”

“You sound like you could be his mother”

“I would be proud to be, but alas he only came into my life after being raised by an obviously clever and caring woman”

Sensing the conversation was taking a strange turn, Dante sought to change the direction by suggesting “Thomas tells me you were in the bushfires last summer, that must have been a scary situation”

“Let me tell you, it was the most frightening experience of my life. Had it not been for Desmond I don’t know how I would have coped. Sure all the volunteers and service people were wonderful at helping us escape, but it was Desmond support that got us through those dreadful days”

Virginia paused, then called “Des, what’s keeping you?”

“Coming right away Dear” he called from the kitchen. “Just got to...” then they heard a loud ‘pop’.

“Oh that’s a sound I enjoy” said Virginia, as Desmond arrived with a tray of glasses and a bottle.

“While the Moet chills, I thought we’d kick off with this domestic number Virginia has developed a taste for recently”

“Good, now sit down Des and talk to our guests”

“Yes Dear, as soon as I pour”

“Now where were we boys?”

“You were telling us about your escape from the bushfires” replied Thomas

“Yes, well that’s all in the past now, as I hope this Covid things is also. I’m so over having to use this app thing just to go shopping. It’s bloody ridiculous. Just as I learn to shop and enjoy it I might add, they make you check in just to buy a bag of oranges. I don’t like it. But enough about me, I want to know about you two. Who’s going to start?”

Dante deferred to Thomas with an eye movement, realising the last time he started a conversation topic it became awkward.

“As I told you, I’m now working as Jonathan’s assistant, looking after the household budget and did he tell you he bought the Flinders street property where we had the political functions?”

“No, I haven’t spoken to him for a long time. I’m not on his radar anymore, as you young folk say”

“As well as managing that, I also look after his correspondence and diary, just as I did for you”

“But I’ll bet it’s not half as much fun as we had arranging my parties. It all sounds a bit too business like for me”

“I know what you mean, but I enjoy it, so good to be working again”

Dante thought he might risk it one more time and asked “What are these parties you mentioned?”

“Oh Thomas, haven’t you told him about our fabulous parties and the Diamond Musical Society?’

“No he hasn’t” said Dante

“Then I take it you haven’t introduced him to Justin either”

“Who’s Justin?”

“If I could get a word in between you two, I might explain”

“Then the floor’s all yours” replied Virginia “However if you leave out anything I reserve the right to cut in. But before you start let’s toast to good times ahead”

<>

Dante was totally fascinated by the stories of Virginia’s parties. At the end he asked “Where can we see Justin perform?”

“He doesn’t do it anymore. Since he and his partner bought a restaurant he has become more of a manager and less of a performer. He does however, still train new waiters in his art because he and Craig have franchised that part of their business”

“So does that mean there are Catering With Benefits shows around the city?”

“All over the state. At one point, before this pandemic I was asked to manage that for them, but life got in the way and priorities changed”

“That would have been more fun than, collecting rent from tenants”

“My job is more than that, but you’re right it would have been fun”

“Do you have some regrets?” asked Virginia.

“No not at all. I like working for Jonathan and living at Crystalline again”

“You know Dante, they catered for more than just my parties. I remember an Australia Day party for a charitable foundation run by Cynthia Broderick. You remember that Desmond, you came with me?”

“Yes, my Dear. There was that lovely girl floating in the pool and they carried her on a surfboard and turned her into dessert”

Dante looked puzzled and asked “Dessert?”

“Yes” replied Virginia “There was something for everyone’s taste” she said with a wink. “The young lady, Des refers to, was covered by peaches, ice cream and raspberry sauce to become a Peach Melba for the men”

“And for the ladies?” asked Dante.

“Oh, let me tell you, I have never eaten so much Pavlova in my life. Scooping whipped cream, meringue and fresh fruit from Justin’s chest and abs is a memory second only to his human candelabra”

“Sounds like I missed so much, not being around in those days. Do you think we could get Jonathan to throw a party like that sometime?” asked Dante

“And encourage Justin out of retirement” suggested Virginia excitedly.

“It’s a big ask” replied Thomas

“Thomas, I’ve not known you to shy away from a challenge before”

“I seem to be outnumbered here”

“So you’ll take the challenge?” asked Dante

“No promises, but I’ll see what I can do”

“That’s my boy” concluded Virginia. “Now Des, these drinks are looking decidedly stale. I think fresh glasses and a new bottle is what we need”

“Yes my Dear”

As Desmond took the glasses and walked away, Thomas lowered his eyebrows while glaring at Virginia. “Don’t give me that look” she said.

“But...” then in a whisper, Thomas continued “What have you done with the real Desmond? When did he become your servant?”

“Actually he always was, remember he used to be my driver”

“But now he’s your husband. Do you two still play your old roles?”

“From anyone else I would take offence at that remark, but as I love you so much Thomas, I’ll forgive you this once”

“I just meant, he seems to have no spark. I thought marrying you would make him more assertive, being an equal”

“He doesn’t make friends easily, and probably finds it difficult to join in the conversation”

“OK he hasn’t met Dante before, and he was always on the quiet side, but he and I are old mates. He used to make tea in his flat and we’d sit and talk for ages”

“Maybe he’s just giving us space to talk about old times”

“Then draw him into the conversation when he returns. I’m worried about him”

When they heard another ‘pop’, the conversation was changed by Virginia asking “I hear you’re a gardener Dante”

“Yes, been there about three months now and I like working for Jonathan, he doesn’t interfere and lets me do the garden as I think best”

“You call him Jonathan?”

“Sometimes I call him Sir, but that’s only in the...well anyway he said to call him Jonathan, so I do”

“I’d like to meet this new and improved Jonathan”

“But aren’t you his ex....oh I see what you mean”

“Here we are folks, the Moet is at the perfect temperature, shall I pour?”

“No Des, sit down and join the party, I’m sure Thomas still remembers how to pour the perfect the glass”

While Thomas poured, Dante asked “So tell me Desmond, what’s your trade?”

“I’m a qualified plumber and gasfitter, but don’t do much of that anymore. Just the occasional job around here and at the soup kitchen”

“I’ve told you before Des, don’t call it a soup kitchen, that downgrades what we do there”

“Yes Dear”

“So what do you do at the ‘not soup kitchen’?” Dante chided.

Before Desmond could answer, Virginia said “I prefer to call it the meal centre. It makes our clients feel better about the place and themselves”

“Yes, at the meal centre, I do maintenance and some cooking, while Virginia cooks, serves and generally jollies the clients along”

“That must keep you both busy”

“Yes some, but recently we have started a new service for the homeless and deprived. Many of them fail to keep medical appointments because they either don’t have the bus fare or lack the will do look after their own health. So, I not only drive them to their appointments but make sure they have appointments in the first place and generally try to encourage them to look after their health”

“That’s a much needed contribution you do there Desmond. I’m quite impressed”

“Thank you, it’s also good to be driving again for service”

“He’s a very valuable man around the centre, my Des. Now we had better get into the kitchen and finish off the dinner, before our guests phone for home delivery”

“Yes my Dear”

<>

When they left, Thomas said “Maybe I was wrong about Desmond. He’s still doing the ‘yes dear’ thing, but he seemed quite proud of his work at the centre”

“I know it sounds a bit subservient, but it’s probably just his pet name or term of endearment towards his wife”

“I hope so, I’d hate to think otherwise. I love her like a mother, but she can be directive, just the same”

“Yeah, what’s with this mother and son thing between you two?”

“We just became very close when I worked as her PA She has no children and once called me the son she wish she had. Don’t read anymore than that into it, OK?”

“Sorry, I just asking”

Dante was interested in the many objects decorating the living room and asked “Is it alright if I snoop around the shelves?”

“Sure, they would be on display if they weren’t mean to be admired”

He carefully inspected a few Lladro pieces than said to Thomas “Either they have a naughty dog, which I don’t see, or one of them is very clumsy”

“What do you mean?”

“All these, what look like very expensive pieces, have been repaired”

“Show me”

As Thomas inspected a few pieces he was puzzled by so many being damaged and repaired. Then it struck him, when he delved into his memories of a few years back.

“I haven’t been here before, but I think know what happened” he said as he turned one of the pieces over to check the maker’s mark.

“Do they fight a lot?”

“No, not that. This apartment used to be Jonathan’s when they were married but he was having men over and keeping that side of his life away from the family home. My friend Andy, used to live here also with Jonathan”

“Were they an item”

“Sort of, but that’s a long and complicated story. What I’m remembering is a night when Andy and Jonathan had a big fight. Jonathan threw Andy out and he came over to me for support. When he calmed down he told me about the fight, which got quite violent. I remember him saying Jonathan threw Lladro pieces at him. This must be the result of that”

“Shit that sounds awful. I wonder why they kept them?”

“Curious isn’t it, given how rich Jonathan is and could have easily replaced them”

Their investigation was interrupted by Virginia calling “Come to the table boys, I’ve made salmon mousse for our entree”

“Sounds delicious, still a salmon fancier?” Thomas asked as he took his seat.

“Yes, but I’ve found a new way to serve it and Desmond just loves it”

<>

“Have you been back to Mallacoota since the fire” asked Thomas

“Des went to collect our car in January, but other than that, no we haven’t been back”

“We really should go down there now that we can travel again. There must be a lot of cleaning up to do” Desmond suggested.

“You’re right Des, and when we get it cleaned up, Thomas and Dante might like to go down for a holiday. It really was a beautiful place before the fire. Not sure what it looks like now”

“The house is right by the lake and wasn’t burned but there must be a lot of smoke and ash damage to clean up” added Desmond.

“Would you like to go?” Thomas asked Dante

“Sure sounds great”

“But not until we get it cleaned and the garden must be in a mess” said Virginia.

“What if we did that for you?” asked Thomas

“Yes, and I could sort out your garden, as well” suggested Dante

“I couldn’t ask you to do that. I want you two to just have a relaxing visit”

“You’re not asking, we’re offering”

“What do you think Des?”

“It’s a big job, but if the boys are willing and keen...”

“Then it’s settled. We’ll arrange some time off and do it”

“You know, I haven’t really been keen to go down there and have used lockdown as a convenient excuse not to visit” admitted Virginia “It would bring back too many unpleasant memories”

“But if we get it cleaned up before you go, would that help?”

“Maybe, if I don’t see all the damage, it might help”

“Good, that’s a plan” concluded Thomas.

“This salmon is delicious Virginia. Did you make it yourself?” asked Dante

“Yes, a recipe I got from the cook of one of my friends. Do you like it Thomas?”

“Of course, but I’m a little surprised that you have taken to cooking, with such gusto, after all those years of having staff to do it”

“I’ve got Des to thank for that. He introduced me to cooking and shopping and even washing the dishes. But I still have a cleaner come in twice a week. I don’t see any fun in that”

Dante laughed and added “I think my mum would agree with you there. She was a school cleaner for years, but always said cleaning up after two sons was a far more onerous task”

“You must tell me about your family” said Virginia.

*****

Next Chapter - The circus comes to town.
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great see Desmond and Virginia again. Virginia sounds like she has become very domesticated, Desmond seems to be a bit subservient to her.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Even before Thomas remarked “What have you done with the real Desmond? When did he become your servant?” I felt like I was witnessing a "conversation" between Hyacinth and Richard (from a British TV comedy Keeping Up Appearances, @ReaderPaul). Although Virginia is not a social climber hellbent on impressing all the "right people", she appeared to be oblivious to Desmond's apparent subservience. I thought after Thomas' remark she was making an effort, but then she utters, “I’ve told you before Des, don’t call it a soup kitchen, that downgrades what we do there”. I was ready to wring her neck after this comment. In Virginia's defence, Desmond was in her employ for a long time, but she needs to try harder to make him feel as if he is an equal. His positive responses to Dante's interest in his role at the soup kitchen demonstrated he can converse if one only takes the time to listen. I think he should go with the boys when they travel to Mallacoota as it will make him feel useful. He is clearly a man who is purpose driven, his purpose being to assist others in whatever capacity he can.

Renaming a soup kitchen a meal centre to "upgrade" its function had me laughing, until I realised I can well imagine someone making such a remark and believing it to be of such significant importance. It reminds me of an article I came across a few years ago now where the author declared it demeaning to dogs to label them as a cross breed e.g. Jack Russell/Kelpie cross. He/she demanded such dogs should be known as a blend e.g. Jack Russell/Kelpie blend. My response (internally of course) was a dog would not give a fuck what breed you called him/her, he/she was more commenced with being cared for, fed, played with and loved. I have seen a similar argument for "outlawing" the word desexed as it applies to cats and dogs. I had a similar response (again internally of course), also believing desexing should be extended compulsorily to numerous humans, starting with the language police like the pretentious twits who spouted such trite nonsense.

A very intriguing chapter @Wombat Bill. The interest for me lay as much in what was left unspoken as what was spoken. The reference to the "mother son" relationship between Virginia and Thomas left Thomas feeling decidely uncomfortable. I don't recall you have ever revealed anything of Thomas' family or his formative years. Has this been an oversight, an omission because it is not important, or has it been by design because it is essential to a yet to be revealed storyline. As @ReaderPaul has remarked on occasion, we shall have to wait for you to reveal the truth (or words to that effect).

 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

I think he should go with the boys when they travel to Mallacoota as it will make him feel useful.

Now that would, make an interesting threesome. 

@chris191070 & @ReaderPaul, you do seem to like the older characters making an appearance. It's hard to get everyone into this story, there are now so many characters. But they'll all make an appearance, even if just a cameo. The only exceptions are Max and Charles, who are the stars of a new (partly autobiographical) project.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Wombat Bill said:

Now that would, make an interesting threesome. 

@chris191070 & @ReaderPaul, you do seem to like the older characters making an appearance. It's hard to get everyone into this story, there are now so many characters. But they'll all make an appearance, even if just a cameo. The only exceptions are Max and Charles, who are the stars of a new (partly autobiographical) project.

Max and Charles deserve another story of their own, if for no reason other than they were the catalyst which started the CWB saga rolling.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..