Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,634 Words
  • 103 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes.

Young and Hungry - For Life - 42. Speechless

After such a late night, they all slept late the next day, although James’ sleep was interrupted by pain and the discomfort of trying to sleep with a plastered arm.

Over breakfast, James asked “What’s on today?”

“I think you need to have a quiet morning, then we have a lunch invitation at the circus. After that Francesco should pack his things and then it’s a final goodbye to the circus folk. Then you should rest again, James”

“Mum, I’ve only got a broken arm”

“Even so, the shock will catch up with you. Don’t want you having another accident, due to tiredness”

“I agree with your mum” said Francisco “I’ll rest with you, OK?”

“Outnumbered! But I’ll take the offer”

“Good decision” said Hannah.

“Our further plans were to have a few days at a beach on the way back, but given your condition James, I don’t think that’s wise”

“I’m not so stupid that I would go swimming with a plastered arm. We can still have a good time at the beach without swimming”

“Tell you what, how about we stay here for a few more days, explore this city and Ballina beach is only thirty minutes away”

“And I can wave goodbye to the circus when it leaves in two days” added Francesco.

“OK with you James?” asked his mother.

“Sounds good, as long as Francesco is with me”

***

The women were expecting Candy to cook for them and wondered what her cooking style would be. “Probably hearty country food” suggested Julia, then added “But how will we all fit into the van for a meal?”

“I guess Candy has that worked out”

Upon arrival, Francesco led them to the van, where Jack was setting up a table and bales of hay outside. “Oh this looks delightfully country” commented Hannah “Are we eating here?”

“No” replied Jack “This is just for drinks”

“Drinks as well?” said Julia

“Of course, do you think we are some kind of ignorant folk? I know towners have a low opinion of circus people but we do know how to entertain friends”

“I’m sorry Jack, I didn’t mean any offence. I guess we didn’t know what to expect, I’ve never been invited to a circus, socially before”

Before Jack could respond, Candy stepped out of the van with glasses and two bottles of wine on a tray. She was followed by Wanda with soft drinks and bowls of snacks.

“Please sit down folks” Candy offered “But don’t break the seats” she joked.

“Very imaginative” said Hannah “But also very practical, and a fun idea”

“Thank you Hannah. See I told you they’d like it Jack. They’re fun people, aren’t you luvvy?” Hannah just smiled and nodded.

“How’s the arm” asked Wanda

“Not too bad, still a bit sore, but the doctor said that should settle down in a few days”

“That’s good, I’m pleased it’s not too serious” said Candy

“Just as bloody well” added Jack “Don’t know how the insurance company would feel about an unauthorised person participating in our performance, if we made a claim”

Hannah and Julia looked at Jack, prompting him to ask “You’re not going to try making a claim are you missus?”

“I don’t see any reason why, since James’ injury is not permanent” replied Hannah.

“And, of course we will cover any medical expenses not covered by Medicare or your health insurance” added Candy.

“While on that subject” said Julia “I assume you do have workers’ compensation and public risk insurance coverage?”

“Of course, why do you ask?”

“Just making sure, since my son now works here. That reminds me Alex, before we leave you must show me your pay slips for the past month”

Before Alex could answer, Candy said “Oh I can show you all those records if necessary”

“Do you mean you don’t issue pay slips?”

“Not formally, we pay our people the same amount each week according to the individual agreements”

“As may be, but they are still entitled to know how much you deduct for tax, any other deductions and their superannuation entitlements”

“Oh, they know all that, no need to bother about all those details” said Jack

“Just the same, I want to make sure Alex is receiving all his entitlements”

“I’ll sort it Jack; Mother to mother. Now let me top up your glasses” Candy said, by way of redirecting the conversation.

Jack caught on also and said “Alex, why don’t you tell your mother what you’ve been doing and the skills you have learned?”

“I work with Smidge, he’s great fun and knows a lot about the animals”

“Does he know how much they suffer by being locked up?” asked James.

“James, this is not the time” replied Hannah “We are guests here, so please show our hosts some respect”

“Like they show respect for wild animals”

“Please James” his mother begged.

“C’mon Francesco, I can see nobody here cares, so I’m out of here”

Francesco grabbed a bowl of chips and the boys left. Hannah apologised to Candy and Jack, then Candy replied “It’s OK, he’s probably still in shock and some pain. Let’s give him some time to recover. And just between you me and the gatepost, they were probably looking for an opportunity to go off together”

“Thanks Candy. Now you were saying Alex?”

“Oh...yes” said a distracted Alex, who was watching James and Francesco walk away while in an animated discussion. “Um, Smidge has taught me a lot about animal care and I think I am finally making friends with Coco”

“Is Coco a clown?” asked Julia

“No” replied Alex and laughed “Coco’s the elder monkey of the group. Sort of matriarch of the group and likes everyone to know it, especially me. But with Smidge’s advice I’m making headway, and expect soon to be one of the group”

“The monkey group?”

“Yes, if she accepts me then the others will also”

“Well that is interesting” commented Julia “But last night you said you now work with the horses”

“Thanks to Candy’s confidence in me, I’m now learning about horses too. You know, she has them so well trained, they do most of their performance with hardly any intervention from her, just the most subtle of signals, most people wouldn’t even notice”

“Your circus seems to have won over my son Candy, I haven’t heard him so enthusiastic about anything for a long time”

“Circus can have an almost intoxicating effect on people. That’s why we troupers never want to leave a circus. It gets into your blood”

“No offence, but I hope it does not have a long term effect on Alex”

“I understand that Luv. Just as we want our children to stay with the circus, so I imagine you want yours to follow your aspirations for them. We know this is just a summer job for Alex”

“And an excuse to be with our daughter” added Jack.

“Yes Jack, that too. But I might add, Alex has proved himself to be a quick learner and a hard worker, so although he will no doubt, go home at the end of the year, he would also be welcome to stay”

“Even I have to agree with you there luv. I must admit he has surprised, even me” admitted Jack.

<>

After drinks, the party moved to the catering tent for lunch. Candy had a table put aside and already set with cutlery and glasses. Each served themselves from the bain-marie then returned to their table.

The food was good and the conversation pleasant. Towards the end of the meal, Jack said “Francesco...” and all eyes turned to him “...You have been a part of this circus for almost all your life and always been a most professional and expert performer. Your departure will mean we will all miss you. We don’t want to see you go, but accept it is your decision. Candy and Wanda have made sure I understand that. I often get so involved in keeping this show running that I lose sight of the personal side of running a circus and.....” Jack stopped mid-sentence, then asked “Candy...will you go on?”

“What Jack is trying to say Francesco, is we wish you well, wherever you go and whatever you do. You will soon be an adult and then responsible for your own life, so....Oh bugger I can’t do this either” then she turned to the rest of the diners in the tent, and said “Come everyone and join us to farewell a long time member of our circus family”

The crowd, who had already filled their glasses, in anticipation, gathered round and Gunther spoke on behalf of all the performers and staff.

“I’m not a man of words, which is probably why I was chosen to make this farewell speech”

When the laughter stopped he continued “On behalf of all your circus family I want to wish you all happiness. You leave here as Bendy Boy and now go out into the world as Francesco. Shit, that’s all I can manage” he then raised his glass and said “Good luck Francesco”

Everyone echoed his wishes, then Wanda said “Your circus family have all pitched in and have a small gift for you” She then handed Francesco an envelope and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

James looked at the card size envelope and said “She wasn’t wrong when she said small gift”

“Shoosh, James” said Hannah

Knowing what was in the envelope, Alex added “Good things, come in small packages”

Francesco, with eyes down, took the envelope and asked “Can I open it now?”

“After you make a speech” called someone from the back of the crowd.

Francesco looked shocked, took James’ hand and whispered to him “What should I say?”

“Start with thank you, say how much you will miss them all and stuff like that”

“Th..th..thank you” he stammered, then whispered to James “But I won’t miss them, can’t wait to get away”

James took over on behalf of his boyfriend “Folks, Francesco is so overcome by your good wishes he is speechless, and has asked me to tell you he thanks you for your support over the years and will miss you all immensely, but he will always remember those that befriended him”

The crowd then applauded and started to disperse.

When it was just the two families again, Candy said “We also have something for you Francesco. Here is a special gift from Wanda, Jack and I. Jack handed over a large flat parcel, wrapped in plain brown paper. Then added “Yes, you can open it now”

Francesco reached out with trembling hands to receive the parcel and placed it on the table. He then attempted to remove the adhesive tape by scratching at the edges, with little success.

“This is how you do it” said James as he reached out with his good arm and ripped a hole in the paper “Now you finish it”

Francesco removed all the wrapping to reveal a plain wooden board with a frame around it and looked blankly at it.

“I think you need to turn it over” suggested James.

Francesco did as prompted, then said “Oh my God”

“Is that you?” asked James

A choked up Francesco just manage to say “Yes, me and M..m..mummy and Daddy”

Everyone leaned forward to view a large framed photograph of a seven year old Francesco, doing the side splits, with one foot on his father’s shoulder and one on his mother’s.

No one was sure what to say, so Julia ventured forth by saying “What a lovely memory for you to have Francesco”

“I can hang it for you in our bedroom” offered James.

“Ah, in Francesco’s bedroom” corrected Hannah.

Francesco’s eyes darted around, from the picture to each of the people watching him and waited for a reaction. Each eye movement released another small tear until he felt the need to conceal this by turning to and hugging James. As the two boys melted into each other, Candy said “This is also for Francesco, but I will give it to one of you, his new mothers, for safe keeping until his birthday” Candy handed a large brown tattered envelope to Hannah, bearing the name Public Trustee and Guardian. “I’m sure you know what to do with that Hannah”

“Thank you Candy. It will be my pleasure to deal with the matter”

Noticing the need to give the boys some space, Wanda said “Mum and Dad, why don’t you give Julia and Hannah a tour of the circus and Alex, you go too and show your mothers where you work”

When Jack replied “Why don’t you and Alex do the tour, Wanda?” Candy picked up Wanda’s meaning and said “Jack, I think our friends deserve to have the Ringmaster’s tour. Don’t you agree Wanda?”

“Yes Mum, that’s what I meant”

The group headed off around the lot and Wanda prompted James by saying “James, maybe you two should head off to the van, so Francesco can pack his things”

“Sure, let’s do that Francesco”

Wanda then went behind the food serving counter, grabbed a bundle of large garbage bags and handed them to James, saying “You might need these for packing”

James lead the way, picture under one arm and bundle of black bags over his plastered arm, leaving Francesco to follow, head down and barely lifting is feet as he shuffled along.

***

Back in the van, James put down the picture and bags, then sat down, let out a sign, patted his stomach and said “I’m stuffed, that was great food”

“Hmm...yes good food...always here. I’ll miss it”

“We have good food at home”

“I meant I’ll miss the circus”

“I know, how about you open that envelope and see what’s in it. That might cheer you up”

Francesco slid out the card, signed by most people in circus and five small plastic cards fell out. “What sort of present is this?” he asked

“Show me” asked James. After looking at the cards he said “These are great, they’re gift cards for shopping” He then paused while he did some quick maths and continued “There’s five hundred bucks here. That’ll be a good day’s shopping”

“But what do I do with them?”

“Most of them are for men’s clothing or department stores and there’s one for a phone company. You go shopping and you use these cards instead of money, up to the value of the card. And the phone company one you can use to buy phone credit”

“So, is that what they call plastic money?”

“Sort of”

***

The family visited museums and galleries over the next two days, then spent one day at the beach, on the sand only.

When James told his mothers about their previous day at the beach and how Francesco accidently became a busker, Francesco said “Let’s do it again James and see how much money we can earn”

“Hold up there” said Julia “You need a permit to busk in most council areas. Don’t want you getting into trouble now we’ve gone to so much trouble to get you out of the circus”

“Oh yes, I forgot about that”

<>

Later that day James had a final check-up at the hospital. He was given, clearance to travel, his x-rays and a report for his doctor. After that they just had time to get to the circus lot to wave a final goodbye to Alex and the circus as they headed to the Queensland border.

<>

The following day they drove home and life settled into the new normal.

The next major event on the household calendar was Christmas.

*****

Next Chapter - Justin makes the call.
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Mmmmmmm, the departure went a little too smoothly to be wholly believable @Wombat Bill, or have we CWB groupies become so cynical regarding the behaviour and motives of Jack and Candy that it has tainted our objectivity. 

I did not expect under any circumstances anything Jack and/or Candy could do or say would move me to tears (murder maybe, but not tears). Reading of the gift of the framed picture of Francesco and his parents, I burst into tears. Call me old fashioned and sentimental (at your peril), but what a beautiful heartfelt gift. Francesco's reaction to the gift was almost the wonderment of a child “Yes, me and M..m..mummy and Daddy” (this also moved me tears, even writing the comment is moving me to tears).  

Maybe I am again observing things which are not happening, but I sensed Francesco's departure left him feeling a little uncertain or was it perhaps the fear of entering a world which he knows little of on a permanent basis. His voyage may not be as "smooth sailing" as he hopes.

Hannah annoyed me in this chapter, silencing James' comment regarding the welfare of the animals. Perhaps it was "disrespectful", but as James rightly pointed out, what about the respect for the animals. 

Candy was very skilful, flattering Hannah and Julia with her "luvvies" (bogan extraordinaire). She managed to derail Julia's enquiries “As may be, but they are still entitled to know how much you deduct for tax, any other deductions and their superannuation entitlements”; I would lay odds the employees are underpaid, have no tax deducted and certainly no superannuation paid. 

A great chapter again @Wombat Bill. My "voyage" in this chapter was another delight, almost as good as the "voyage" I took last night on numerous occasions with Abba (I am taking the same "voyage" with them as I write these comments). The teaser for the next chapter is, I think, the most foreboding teaser you have ever teased we readers with. It may signify hope or the end of hope, I hope it is the latter, but fear it will be the former (which will mean more bloody tears, I would not mind so much, but one NEVER loses weight no matter how many tears are shed).

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

Wow, @Wombat Bill.  Really good chapter.  Some loose ends cleared up, some possibly created.  

In a few chapters, I will be interested in seeing what Hannah finds out from the Public Trustee and Guardian.  

The next chapter teaser-- That will be interesting.  But will Justin call a psychologist, or will he call the parents of Lucas to set up a sleepover for Caleb and Lucas?

I certainly look forward to seeing what @chris191070, @haines87, @quttzik, and @Summerabbacat have to say on this chapter and the teaser.  

 

  • Like 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

Well, I see that @Summerabbacat beat me to replying, and that is certainly fine with me, as this is not a reacting-to-chapter race.  Candy's manipulation skills are far superior to Jack's.  Wanda's skills are also superior at diplomacy and manipulation.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, ReaderPaul said:

The next chapter teaser-- That will be interesting.  But will Justin call a psychologist, or will he call the parents of Lucas to set up a sleepover for Caleb and Lucas?

@ReaderPaul I hope one of the possibilities you raise regarding the teaser for the next chapter prove to be true. I had not thought of either. My immediate thoughts were Justin making a call on whether to forgive Edward and attempt to repair his relationship with him.

This is a ploy on the part of our author, with a few choice words he elicits so many different responses and viewpoints from his readers. He is a clever one that @Wombat Bill.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 4
Link to comment

Everything to do with Francesco's departure from the circus went surprisingly well. I still think and Jack and Candy are hiding secrets and manipulating the truth.

But Francesco has his trust fund and goodbye presents.

So all seems well, a fairy tame chapter in the scheme of things.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I wholeheartedly agree with @Summerabbacat in regards to Francesco’s farewell, the picture scene left tears in my eyes. Was also feeling a bit sad for him as well when he stated he would miss the circus even tho he wasn’t treated as well as he should have been it’s all he knew for 17 almost 18 years. @chris191070 Yes, I am still not taking back anything I have said about Jack and Candy tho, Alex is still with them and may uncover other things well he is with them.

@ReaderPaul I too will be looking forward to finding out about his trust fund. I’m wondering also if there was some kind of inheritance left in that fund from his parents they were apparently a part of the circus for quite awhile and didn’t have much need to spend much I would assume. My first thought about the call Justin makes in the teaser was he would be setting up an appointment to talk to a Psychologist or some one as Craig said it didn’t have to be a professional it could also be as you mentioned a call to Lucas’s family. Or even now that I have read summerabbacat’s comment him making some type of decision.

I was late to the party again and the prior comments basically summed everything I was thinking up into a tidy package just a couple other things I added.

Another mild chapter overall thanks @Wombat Bill

Q

Edited by quttzik
  • Like 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

@Wombat Bill another great chapter of the book. 
I am betting that Jack and Candy don't pay taxes and that's why they pay under the table. I don't know what it is but I do not like Jack or Candy and I don't trust them

Edited by haines87
  • Like 5
Link to comment

i gave a lot of "Fingers Crossed" because you all seem to have some hopes and good wishes for our characters. With Christmas coming up and Covid under control (in the story) it is certainly the time for some good news. 

That being so, I will share with you a little spoiler :gikkle:  -The last chapters will cover three end of year events and over the three events, ALL major characters will make an appearance. So if any of your faves have not been around for a while this will be your chance to have a drink  with them, :2thumbs:  before the last chapter :lmao: to be published on Christmas Day.  :whistle: 

 

  • Wow 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..