Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 523 Words
  • 82 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes.

Young and Hungry - For Life - 52. Epilogue

Posted on 26 March 2021 at 8:30AM by PETA Australia

For the first time in history, no wild animal will be forced to perform under Australia’s big top, now that Stardust Circus – the last circus in Australia that was still using wild animals – has retired the lions and monkeys it was using.

Here at PETA, we’re jumping for joy to hear it – and we’re far from alone! The overwhelming majority of Australians understand that captivity is a living hell for animals such as monkeys and lions and that a circus environment can’t possibly meet their complex needs.

In 2020, a survey conducted by YouGov and funded by PETA found that 75% of Australians wanted to see a ban on circuses using exotic animals. The survey found that 85% of Australians between the ages of 18 and 34 supported such a ban.

Interestingly, a majority of people with children under the age of 18 at home (80%) said that they support a ban, demonstrating that few families consider watching frustrated, stressed, and depressed animals being forced to perform painful tricks under the Victorian-era big top a form of family entertainment.

Lions in their natural habitat roam vast areas, claiming territory and seeking out mates, but they can’t do this while being confined to wagons or trucks for days at a time during a circus tour.

Macaque monkeys are our close relatives, and they prefer to live in large mixed groups, not inside metal cages with limited opportunities to socialise.

These days, people go to the circus to see talented human performers, not psychologically tormented animals.

Stardust must now do the right thing by the lions and monkeys in its care by retiring them to a reputable sanctuary, where they’d be able to have some semblance of the natural life that they’ve been robbed of for so long.

 

April 15, 2021 - 2:58PM - NCA NewsWire - by Melissa Iaria

 

Australia’s last circus using lions and monkeys has been forced to retire the wild animals after being unable to get insurance.

Stardust Circus has been using lions in its travelling family circus for half a century but had to retire its six lions and four monkeys earlier this month after being unable to renew its insurance.

“We tried everywhere. We couldn’t get it at all and that was the end of that,” circus matriarch Jan Lennon said.

“About half a dozen brokers tried everyone.

“The silly thing is we’ve never had a claim with the lions or anything like any risk whatsoever.”

Mrs Lennon said Pen Underwriting refused coverage for the exotic animals without explanation. Pen has been contacted for comment.

The animals are being looked after in the interim, with the circus arranging to move them to a NSW zoo.

But that could take months as special enclosures are being built for them requiring government approval.

“All the zoos have got enough lions, you can’t just throw them in with others, they’ll kill each other. So they have to have separate accommodation for them. This is why it’s taking a bit of time,” Ms Lennon said.

FROM NEWS.COM.AU

Thank you to all, for reading, reacting, commenting and joining the conversation.
Bill
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The perfect ending to part 4.

James getting what he wished for, the circus to lose the animals. Done without protests, but by lack of insurance.

There's still plenty of questions to be answered, so I hope that we'll be getting part 5 sometime in 2022.

Thanks for a truly wonderful story.

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

I vaguely remember receiving an e-mail from PETA regarding the death knell for circuses in Australia, but thought it was in 2020. I was of course, ecstatic. As is the case in most years, there were not many good news stories for animals in 2021, this was one as was the decision by Mexico to become the first country in North America to ban the testing of cosmetics on animals. Time to smarten up Canada, you have very liberal refugee policies, and yet you do not extend similar kindness to non-human animals (typical fucking speciesism). I had hopes when Justin Trudeau became Prime Minister, but he has dashed those hopes time and time again. As for the USA, well I will say no more (sorry @ReaderPaul). We in Australia cannot hold our heads up either; the barbaric live trade export, the senseless slaughter of kangaroos and sharks, shark nets which kill dolphins and other marine life, the wanton destruction of wildlife habitat (even after the 2020 bushfires), and an appalling, but not at all surprising to me, 53% increase in animal cruelty cases as reported by the NSW RSPCA since the onset of the Chinese virus. The Chinese unleashed this non-human virus onto the world, but much of the human population is little better than a virus. 

Given the "circus storyline" was one of the most featured in this book @Wombat Bill, I like my fellow CWB groupie @chris191070, felt this chapter a fitting end to this book. Thank you once again for entertaining us, challenging us, sometimes "firing us up" and at times, educating us. On the latter point, I was remiss in not commenting in the previous chapter on you naming some of the prominent summertime flora, particularly the dietes. I had of course seen them on many occasions, but did not know their name. They seem to grow prolifically and have an attractive flower.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..