Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,703 Words
  • 113 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes.

Young and Hungry - For Life - 29. Mixed News

Wanda said “Mum, you know how Francesco never used to go off lot until recently, since he became friends with Alex’s brother”

“Yes, but why your interest now?”

“Alex says he doesn’t have any money to pay for things when he goes out with James. Do you know why that is? Everyone else, even me, gets some pay for their work, why not Francesco?”

Candy was quiet and thoughtful for a few moments, then said “Wanda, there’s a lot you don’t know about this, but I suppose you’re old enough to know now”

“You’re sounding very mysterious Mum”

“It’s not really a mystery, just a circus family arrangement that has not been discussed”

“Even with Francesco?”

“No, not even he knows about the arrangement”

“So are you going to tell me?”

“Yes, I’ll tell you now, but until I discuss it with your father, I don’t want you to tell anyone else”

“OK Mum”

“As you know, Francesco started performing when he was only a child. He first performed when he was only seven years old. At the time his father did not ask for extra payment because Francesco was part of their act. He used to do his contortion while being held by his father. He balanced on his head and shoulders, even in his hand. Then they climbed the ladder to the trapeze and Francesco sat on your father’s shoulders to watch his parents.

Eventually he became so popular and so expert at his art, he got separate billing. He was about nine years old when your father was negotiating with Francesco’s father and they came up with a plan to put Francesco’s salary in a trust account for him. His father saw no need for him to get extra money and he wanted Francesco to have a nest egg when he turned eighteen. He could then decide for himself what to do with it”

“So where is this money now?”

“Still invested on his behalf and the terms were there is no access to the funds, except for educational purposes while he is under age”

“So who decides if he can get the money?”

“When the trust was set up it was his parents. Then after the death of his father, the management was transferred to the Public Trustee, because the court saw a conflict of interest arising if we, that is your father and I were Francesco’s foster parents, his employer and trustees”

“So was any of the money spent on his education?”

“No, as you know he was home schooled with you so there were no outside expenses. All his money plus earnings is still invested”

“That means he has...what...about ten years wages in his account”

“Yes, your father has always been diligent in paying it each month and has never taken a cent from it. From that point of view, we treated him as our son, just like you”

“But he’s never had pocket money or anything like that and not had a normal life”

“What do you see as a normal life in a circus, Wanda?”

“I know we are different to other people in the way we live, but we do go shopping and even sometimes to the cinema, but Francesco doesn’t do that. And now I have a boyfriend, I go out more often”

“And from what I hear, Francesco also has a friend now and has even visited his family home”

“Yes, about that. Why has Dad stopped Francesco from visiting James’ family?”

“He didn’t tell me that”

“That’s what Alex said”

“OK, leave that with me. Don’t ask your father yourself, I’ll sort it”

“Thanks Mum, and thanks for confiding in me. But I really want to tell Alex, because he and his family are worried about Francesco”

“Please be patient and let me clear it with your father first”

“Alright”

***

Candy’s talk with her husband did not start well.

“Is that fucking family interfering again, I thought I put an end to that”

“An end to what?”

“One of those women had the nerve to send me a solicitor’s letter, demanding I tell her why Francesco doesn’t get paid. But I put her in her place and told her she had no right to ask about stuff that’s not her business”

“When was this Jack?”

“Last week, but I’ve put an end to this interfering”

“By telling her Francesco can’t visit the family again?”

“How do you know that?”

“Wanda asked me, because it seems Alex told her”

“I knew it was a mistake letting those towners get close and allowing one to date our daughter. We should have been more careful about that, since we’ve been in one location for so long. I’m over these travel restrictions. See what’s happened now. Circuses should always be on the move. That way, outsiders can’t get their tentacles onto you”

“That’s a bit extreme Jack. Did you think Wanda wouldn’t grow up and start dating boys?”

“Of course not, but she should date a circus boy”

“There’s not much to choose from at the moment. Francesco’s the only boy around her age and they don’t seem to be compatible. Don’t you want more for Wanda?”

“It was good enough for us”

“Things were different then, when the circus was made up of families who stayed with the circus their entire life. There were members of all ages. Now performers come and go and the young ones don’t stay long enough to have families. They have other opportunities, like TV and clubs and can easily travel overseas to join other circuses?”

Jack took his wife’s hands in his and they both sat on the sofa. After a thoughtful silence, he said “Candy, are we the last of that generation. Will we preside over the end of an era? Has the traditional circus come to the end of its useful life?”

“Jack, I’ve never heard you speak like this before. Have you been brooding about this for a long time?”

“I just don’t know. In some ways I saw it coming, I suppose, but I didn’t want to see it, so I just ignored it. Now maybe it’s going to bite us on the bum”

“Jack, listen to me. We’ve had tough times before and by sticking together we get through it. These days, circuses have to be like every other business and adjust to changing times”

“That’s just my point, we are not just a business whose worth can be measured in a financial statement. Circus is a way of life, an institution with a rich history and I can’t let go of that. It’s not for me to end this, it’s in my blood and yours, for that matter. Maybe the next generation might see it differently. Maybe Wanda will marry an outsider that doesn’t want to join the circus, but will take her away from us and this life”

“Will you be happy for her if that happens?”

“Candy, please don’t make me answer that now”

“OK, but we do have to sort this Francesco issue. Do you realise he will be eighteen early next year. Then you won’t be able to tell him who he can visit or not. He can even leave the circus if he chooses”

“But he wouldn’t do that, he doesn’t know anything else. He’s circus through and through. He has it in his blood and once there, it doesn’t let you escape”

“As may be Jack, but it’s not really our decision. It’s his and his alone, when he becomes of age”

Jack said no more and hugged his wife so she couldn’t see his eyes beginning to water.

***

The following day, Wanda asked her mother if she had spoken to her father about Francesco.

“Yes, we had a long talk and he spoke to me in a way, I’ve not heard from him before”

“Oh, I’m sorry Mum, did you two have a big fight?”

“No, well yes, we did initially have a bit of a barney, but after that your Dad said lots of stuff about how circus life has changed, or not changed, with the times. He cares very deeply about the circus and its traditions. He is finding it difficult to cope with changing expectations of people and institutions”

“But what did he say about Francesco?”

“Not much, but it was that subject which made him talk about his feelings. He hasn’t done that before”

“Well that’s good if he can do that, but....”

“Yes I know, you want to know about Francesco. We didn’t really come to any conclusion but let me put it this way. Tell Alex to tell his family that Francesco can visit them or go out with James as often as he likes. I’ll see that your father doesn’t interfere in that”

“And what about his wages?”

“I can’t do anything about that while your father manages those things. But, how about I find some spare cash, don’t ask me where, and I’ll give Francesco some spending money each week. Do you think that will be OK?”

“Thanks Mum, can I tell Alex that and also about the trust fund?”

“Yes, let’s be open and honest about things. Too many secrets have been kept for too long and look at the trouble it has caused”

“What about Dad?”

“I’ll deal with him, you just worry about your own happiness”

“And Francesco’s...you know we haven’t always been the best of friends, but I still care about his happiness and I think James also has a lot to do with that. I should have been more supportive of him over the years. We should have grown up like brother and sister, but I could never find a way to communicate with him. Somehow James seems to have done that”

“Can I ask, is James more than, just a friend to Francesco?”

“I think so Mum. I’m pretty sure he and James are gay”

“Doesn’t Alex know about his own brother?”

“Probably, but I’ve never asked. I’ll do that”

***

Wanda phoned Alex to tell him about her discussion with her mother.

“Mum says it OK for Francesco to go out with James and to visit your home”

“How did you achieve that?”

“She talked to Dad and they must have worked it out, she didn’t tell me much”

“What about his wages?”

“That’s even better news. It seems Dad has been paying his wages into, something called a Trust Account and it’s all still there. He gets it when he’s eighteen, which won’t be long.”

“Why doesn’t he know about this account?”

“I don’t know, but it was started when he was young and his father set it up with Dad. But there’s more. Mum’s going to pay Francesco some spending money each week from now on, but I don’t think she’s told Dad about that, so I hope it all works out well”

“You have been a busy girl. I didn’t expect all this to happen so quickly. Thank you so much, my Mum will be relieved and thrilled”

“Maybe our families are not so different after all. They each want what’s best for us”

“I get that, but is Francesco considered part of your family?”

“I think now he is. We may be a bit late recognising that, but he’s always been part of the larger circus family”

“Mmm” was all Alex added, but Wanda did not pick up his true meaning”

“Are you coming on Sunday” Wanda asked

“How about you come to my place? You haven’t met my mums yet”

“How will I get there?”

“Ah...leave that with me, maybe I’ll pick you up. I’ll check with Mum first. I’ll also see what James wants to do”

“Glad you mentioned James, I have a sort of personal question to ask you”

“I’m an open book, ask me anything”

“It’s not about you, it’s about James”

“What you see is what you get with James and sometimes more than you wanted”

“Do you two always talk about each other like that. Not having a brother or sister, I don’t know how that works”

“Sure we rib each other all the time, that’s what brothers do but I still love him”

“That’s good to hear, but what I want to know is...is he gay”

“As they come. He’s so proud of it, I’m surprised he hasn’t told you”

“Well, we haven’t spoken much. Whenever he’s here he’s always with Francesco”

“You know, they consider each other to be boyfriends”

“I thought so, I’m happy for them both. I can now see why your family cares so much for Francesco”

“As they care for you, because you make me happy”

“That so sweet”

***

Alex told his mother about Francesco’s trust fund and about the spending money.

“That’s interesting, I wonder why Jack got so grumpy about my letter, when he could have just told me there was a trust fund for Francesco”

“Circus people are very private and don’t like outsiders asking about their business”

“You may be right, but I’d still like to know more about this trust fund”

“What do you need to know?”

“What type of trust, is it properly registered, who are the trustees, how is it administered, is it regularly audited, are the funds invested to get the maximum return and what is the current balance”

“Wow, I didn’t realise there was so much to a trust account”

“Yes, it’s not as simple as just depositing funds in a bank account, like most people think. There has to be rules written into founding documents and they must be strictly adhered to”

“I don’t think I can help you with that, Mum”

“No, of course not, you’ve already done so much, but I would like to know the conditions that govern when it will be assigned to Francesco”

“Oh, I can help there. When he’s eighteen Wanda said, and that’s soon”

“Excellent, you will make a good investigative solicitor”

“Thanks Mum, but I still haven’t decided about that”

“Yes, we must have that discussion soon, but regarding Francesco, maybe I should just leave it for now if his birthday is soon”

“I’ll find out and we can give him a big party”

“That’s really the privilege of his family”

“Mum, do you really think they will?”

“I see what you mean, so OK with me if it doesn’t conflict with any circus family plans”

“Good, but we’ll keep it a secret for now”

***

James found online groups, such as PETA, Four Paws, Voiceless and Animals Australia who ran various campaigns against animal cruelty by bringing it to the attention of government agencies, the media and the public. He originally subscribed to their mailing lists and looked for other ways he could assist their cause without directly confronting the circus management.

One of those ways was to sign online petitions, but when he told his mother about this, she suggested a more direct approach may have more effect. So James started a letter writing campaign directed at politicians and companies that service and supply circuses. Having regular access to the circus meant he could include photos of the animals and their conditions. He stressed in his letters that the animals were well cared for medically and nutritionally, as their health was related to the operator’s wealth. But the cruelty stemmed from being caged, continually on the move and being forced to perform on demand.

However, James felt he should also contribute financially to the organisations that fought on behalf of the animals, so he put aside each week, a few dollars from his pocket money and when he had saved ten dollars, asked his mother to make a credit card donation on his behalf.

When he remembered Alex had told him that, insurance was one of the reasons the circus no longer had elephants, he discussed this with his mother, who suggested that if the denial of the animal’s rights and liberty meant nothing to circus operators then they might react to a financial disincentive. He then started writing to insurance companies, asking them not to insure circuses that had wild animals.

*****

Next Chapter - You need a permit for that. - An announcement. - Gran’s baking for a special arrival.
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm not really surprised about Francesco's trust account.  It sounds like the Public Trustee is somewhat like what is called (in my state) the Public Administrator, who administers funds and estates and trusts for those who have no capable or honest relatives  to do that on behalf of someone else.  The Public Administrator may take care of funds for minors, severely handicapped persons, or those whom a court has designated.  Of course, once in a while you have an incompetent Public Administrator, and that takes a while to straighten out.

I will be interested in seeing how James does with suggesting insurance companies not insure a circus with wild animals.

I'm also glad Francesco gets to visit again with James and Alex and Hannah and Julia at their home.

Great chapter, @Wombat Bill.  I look forward to the analyses of my follow commenters.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

Well well well. Perhaps Jack is not as big a prick as I thought he was. It seems he can see times are changing and circuses are a thing of the past (I am not sure he thought of the animals at all though in drawing this conclusion). I am still somewhat suspicious though as to why he and/or Candy have never shared the information with Francesco that he has a trust fund. Apart from this, it does appear they have taken relatively good care of him over the years, but there is still the issue of the "gentlemen callers".

James is THE BEST. I am familiar with the four animal rights groups he has cited. Animals Australia campaign relentlessly for the rights of animals and have run some very effective campaigns. They have campaigned heavily against Australia's disgusting live trade exports. Voiceless are a much smaller group started by a father and daughter in the early 2000's. Four Paws I am not as familiar with, but I have signed a petition circulated by them at some stage as I get regular petitions to sign. PETA are international of course. I take issue with some of their ideologies, particularly regarding domestic pets. 

A wonderful chapter @Wombat Bill. Thank you for mentioning the local animal rights organisations. Just seeing their name in print in a "forum" such as this has made my day.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

I'm not really surprised about Francesco's trust account.  It sounds like the Public Trustee is somewhat like what is called (in my state) the Public Administrator, who administers funds and estates and trusts for those who have no capable or honest relatives  to do that on behalf of someone else.  The Public Administrator may take care of funds for minors, severely handicapped persons, or those whom a court has designated.  Of course, once in a while you have an incompetent Public Administrator, and that takes a while to straighten out.

Your comments prompted me to research @ReaderPaul. I was familiar with the NSW Protective Commissioner who was appointed to oversee the affairs of those who could not look after their affairs themselves, generally those with mental health issues, the disabled and probably those with addiction problems. I have learned that the Office of the Protective Commissioner and the NSW Public Trustees merged in 2009 and became NSW Trustee and Guardian. 

Another bonus from your wonderful literary masterpieces @Wombat Bill, they so often present or encourage learning opportunities. Entertaining and educational, much like Donna Summer, Abba and my beautiful feline family. Priceless.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Okay,  Now I feel kinda bad with how I judged some folks in the last couple of chapters.  Candy for one especially as we really haven't seen much from her up until this chapter.  Sure they haven't seem to fully treat Francesco like true family but he has been a part of the whole circus family and even Wanda realizes that she should have been treating him more like a brother however I can see from the first time we met Francesco he is different and probably a bit hard to get to know.  And now Candy has come clean at least with Wanda about his trust fund.  I am still not so sure about Jack but I kinda get him feeling sad about being the end of an era type of thing with the circus I am not exactly sure but his eyes watered when I think he was thinking about Francesco possibly leaving does he really have a soft spot? .  I imagine its hard to face something like that when it is truly a part of them they grew up with it and it was good for them and like Francesco's biological family sounds also like they were a part of it all their lives so it is/was truly ingrained in them.  However times do change and there are many other things to keep people occupied now a days and people and time move so fast that bonds like that, that were formed do not happen quite as often nowadays.  

I guess I also get Jack about being a private person there is a whole different vibe with the Old world Circus's/Carnies.  I had a buddy once that went on the road for a couple of years with am old family Carnie boy some of the stories I heard LOL.  But they always Just like Jack calls them Townies the carnival my buddy worked with was the same way. I guess the townies are like that also possibly even looking down on those in the Circus/Carnival. Still again not sure I have completely forgiven Jack but possible don't feel as bad about him as I did.  And I think Candy can handle him well. 

Glad to see Francesco and Wanda able to freely visit Alex and family again thanks to Candy dealing with her husband. Also glad to find that Francesco has money that will be available to him when he soon turns 18.  The only problem with that, is he knows nothing, was taught nothing about money and the way it works within the real world. James has been helping him some but he is soon to need a very in depth lesson. At least he will have the means to be able to leave the Circus if he so chooses. 

Hmm the teasers sound interesting for the next chapter which I am looking forward too.  Grans baking for a special arrival does that mean that the Foster application was approved and Caleb is getting a new home?  Lets hope so.  

Great chapter @Wombat Bill Thanks for sharing your story telling talents with us. 

Q

PS Wow probably my biggest story comment ever LOL. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Don't feel too bad about judging Jack and Candy harshly @quttzik; part of the fun of being a CWB groupie is writing outrageous and sometimes scurrilous comments about the characters. I think sometimes our comments get @Wombat Bill's creative juices flowing too.

I am almost certain Jack and Candy are not as noble and squeaky clean as they have portrayed themselves in this chapter. Our beloved author @Wombat Bill has used this ploy in the past when we critics have been a little too mean about character, he has given them a redeeming storyline, only to find out the truth was often somewhere in the middle (think Jared for example). As I said in my first comment I am still sceptical; I don't think Jack and perhaps Candy have given full disclosure on Francesco's circumstances.  

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I still think Jack and Candyvare not squeaky clean.

Still a couple of questions. Why hide the trust fund, especially if they are not executors. Why did they not pay him any sort of money, even if just a weekly allowance.

I see James hasn't given up on his campaign, on circus animals. I think what he's doing is a far better way.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

I see James hasn't given up on his campaign, on circus animals. I think what he's doing is a far better way.

It is a more measured approach and ultimately more effective strategy @chris191070. I try at times to be more rational about this issue and less "hot-headed", but invariably I fail as evidenced by my comments. I am not diplomatic at the best of times, and on this issue, I have little or no patience or preparedness to compromise.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, quttzik said:

@Summerabbacat Yeah I understand that.  Like I said I haven't truly forgiven them, still no mention of the ungentlemen callers Francesco had. 

@chris191070 Perhaps thats what Francesco's parents had wanted?  We don't know yet or perhaps there was a clause that if he didn't claim it by a certain age it would fall back to Jack and Candy perhaps thats why Jack had tears in his eyes when Candy mentioned Francesco coming of age and able to make his own decision.  

I'm quite sure @Wombat Bill will answer all are questions in the upcoming chapters.

  • Like 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..