Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,511 Words
  • 86 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes.

Young and Hungry - For Life - 49. Francesco's and Caleb's Christmas

Because of the hectic events of the past few months with Alex, James and Francesco, Hannah and Julia had forgotten to make their regular booking for the holiday house at Forster. By the time they remembered, everything in the area was fully booked. Then they received an invitation from Craig and Justin, for Christmas at their place.

They were happy about this, but there was one problem, Alex would not be home for Christmas, because the circus had performances booked right through the holiday period, except Christmas day.

This was the circus’ big opportunity to make up for the lost earnings during lockdown and limited audience density after that.

<>

Julia was in the office, opening Christmas cards from clients and displaying them on the reception desk. One she opened was a DVD from the theatrical agency that supplied the new act for the circus. Julia put it into her computer and called Hannah to came and watch with her.

“Seems we have a Christmas card in DVD format”

“Who’s it from?” asked Hannah

“It could only be from one client”

“Ruby from, Jumping Through Hoops?”

“Yes, who else?”

“Let’s watch”

The presentation started with short clips of Ruby’s clients, cut from their show reels. Then Ruby appeared, wearing a tinselled tiara and a big grin. Her scene was obviously shot in front of a green screen, as the acts continued to appear behind her. “Hello dear friends. I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your custom and your services over the past year. Whether you are a client or a supplier, I know you have all found the year difficult, but by working together we have kept the show on the road and made it through to the happiest season of the year. Now I know you don’t want to see my ugly old mug for much longer, so I’ll wish you all a happy Christmas and a prosperous new year. Please play safe over the holidays”

As Ruby waved, the camera pulled back to reveal her sitting on the shoulders of two bronzed hunks, and holding a long cool drink. The scene behind changed to a beach and she said to one of the hunks “Where did you say the Morrison’s were staying?

He whispered inaudibly to her, and she replied “Oh that’s disappointing. I thought he might have learnt from last year and be holidaying at home on Bondi Beach this year.” Then she looked straight to camera and said “Wherever you are, whoever you’re with this holiday season, have a bloody great time”

Then said to her escorts “Let’s go back to my room boys, I think it’s time to exchange gifts. Happy Christmas all”

“Well only Ruby de la Tour could produce a Christmas card like that” concluded Julia.

“Hey, that reminds me, we should talk to her in the new year about getting some gigs for Francesco”

“She’ll need a show reel”

“I’m sure we’ve got just the man for the job”

***

Preparations were made for the boys’ first Christmas at their house. Various members of the family volunteered to bring contributions for the meals and all accepted the offer to stay over for one or two nights. All their guest rooms would be pressed into service, with extra stretchers and folding beds to be set up. Gran offered to give up her room for Julia and Hannah, and opted to sleep on a rollaway bed in her living room.

***

“What do you usually do at Christmas?” James asked Francesco

“We don’t have performances on Christmas day, but have a big lunch in the catering tent. Candy and Jack always make it a big event. They have a Christmas tree and all children under fifteen get presents from Santa. Usually the fattest member of staff is Santa, and sometimes that’s Jack. He doesn’t really like doing it, he’s not very good, and everyone knows who he is because he can only do his ringmaster’s voice. That’s a giveaway, but all the kids pretend they don’t know who he is so they get presents”

“That sounds like a pretty normal Christmas, except with a very big family” replied James.

“What will we be doing?”

“This year will be the first time we won’t be going to Forster, but we’ll have Christmas at Craig and Justin’s house, so you’ll meet the rest of my family”

“How many will there be?”

“There’s Justin and Craig, of course. They run a restaurant and have an outside catering business, so the food should be great. Then there’s Craig’s parents, Cathy and Harry. I don’t know them very well, sort of only met them at funerals and such, but I think they’re nice people. But you’ll really like Gran, she’s Craig’s grandmother and lives in a granny-flat. My Aunt Jessica will also be there, that’s Justin’s mum. She’s alright for a school teacher”

“What about Justin’s dad?”

“Oh yes him... um... no, he won’t be there, he’s dead”

“That’s sad, did he have cancer or something?”

“No, he died in prison a few years ago. I think it was suicide, but mum doesn’t talk much about him. I don’t think she liked him very much”

“Why was Justin’s father in prison, did he murder someone?” Francesco asked with a grin.

“How did you know?”

“I didn’t know. I meant it as a joke. You mean it’s true?”

“Yes, but the family does not like to talk about it, so best not mention it again”

‘Sure, so that’s all your family?”

“There’s someone new, Mum told me, who’s sort of family. I haven’t met him yet but his name’s Caleb and he’s Craig and Justin’s foster kid, like you were”

“So two gay guys can have a foster kid?”

“I guess so. He’s been living with them for a few months now, so it must be OK”

“Do you think the rest of your family will like me?”

“Why wouldn’t they?”

“Because I’m from a circus family and outsiders don’t like us, other than as entertainment”

“Why do you say that?”

“That’s what my dad used to say and so does Jack. It’s just how it is”

“That’s not true at all Francesco. My mums and Alex, and especially me, we all love you and you’re now part of my family, so you’re also part of our wider family”

“Are you sure they won’t treat me as freak?”

“I don’t know where this is coming from. Our family is not like that. Just so long as you don’t show up in circus tights...” James smiled, then continued “...they’ll treat you like any other boyfriend of a family member”

“But shouldn’t I wear my tights to do my act for them?”

Hannah then called the boys for dinner. “You two wash up before you come to the table”

“Sure Mum, but can you assure Francesco that our family will accept him for who he is, not what he is or where he grew up”

“Why do you think that Francesco?” asked Hannah.

“Because I’m Circus”

“Not any more, you’re now a talented young man who is able to entertain audiences, but that is just your job, not your personality”

“Then should I do a performance for them?”

“Maybe not at Christmas, that is, not on the first meeting. I don’t want you to be defined as that. Just be Francesco”

James then added “I want you to be my boyfriend and to be welcomed into the family as such. Isn’t that right Mum?”

“Yes, excellent suggestion. Now, wash hands please”

<>

During dinner, Francesco asked “Can we go shopping soon, I have all this plastic money to use and I want to buy presents for you all”

“Sure we can go shopping, I just love shopping” replied James.

“But you shouldn’t spend your gift cards on present” said Julia “That is for you and should best be spent on buying clothes for yourself”

“Mum’s right, you can’t keep wearing Alex’s old clothes. It’s time we bought you a new wardrobe. It will be exciting, trying on new clothes. You can pick what you like, then go to the fitting room and come out in each new outfit to parade for me, and I will give you an honest assessment”

“I don’t know what you mean”

“You’ll see when we get to the shops. How about tomorrow? It will be busy with Christmas shoppers, but that makes it all the more fun. And there will be lots of decorations and Christmas music playing. Also, because it’s so hot, there’ll be lots of yummy boys in muscle singlets or even with their T shirts off and hanging from their waists. We can even hang out at the body builders’ shop, there’s always lots of hot guys there buying protein powder and exercise equipment. You’re gunna love it”

“Yes, James” said his mother “But remember the purpose of the trip is to shop for Francesco’s clothes, not ogle muscle men”

“Of course Mum. Now Francesco, you’ll need to get an absolutely fabulous outfit for Christmas day. I’m thinking something body-hugging on the top, maybe even sleeveless, to show off your shoulders and biceps. Then I recommend something short, but loose for the bottom. I’m a bit undecided about footwear. We’ll have to see what’s in this summer”

“Can’t I just wear jeans and T shirt?”

“Absolutely not. Firstly, we’re not going to a barbecue, secondly, it’s Christmas and most importantly, I’ll be showing you off to my family. I want them to see you at your best”

“Now you’re making me scared. If I have to go to that much trouble then I know they will be judging me”

“I don’t mean it like that. I just want you to have a fun time dressing up for the occasion”

“James, stop putting on so much pressure. Francesco, just be yourself and enjoy the experience. Our family won’t judge you, but they will be excited to meet you. That’s all James means, don’t you James?”

“Yes Mum, it’s all about having fun Francesco”

“OK, I’ve always trusted you before, so I’ll trust you again” said Francesco, then kissed James.

***

The following morning James and Francesco were off early to Westfield Hurstville, and visited almost every menswear shop in the mall.

“No, it’s not really you”

“Try a smaller size, that’s too loose”

“While we’re here try these”

“Yes super, you’ll look stunning on the beach”

“Oh yes, those show off your legs to perfection”

“I want to see a bit more muscle, try this one with no sleeves”

“Turn around...yes they’re butt perfect”

“Are you sure you want last year’s look”

“Oh my god, we almost forgot underwear”

“This is the shop I’m looking for. They’ve got a great range of Aussiebum stuff. It’s the sexiest underwear in town”

“OK, that’s you from head to ankles, so we’ll have to shop wisely to find you the best runners for the last hundred dollar card”

“OK, if you really like them that much, I’ll throw in the extra nine dollars”

<>

The boys paused shopping for lunch and put down their many bags, bearing the labels of all James’ favourite shops in the mall. Each retailer seemed to only have one size bag, the ultra mega hyper super size, no matter how small the purchase. James suspected this was the stores way of getting maximum mobile advertising space for little outlay.

Francesco offered to pay for lunch as a thank you for all James’ fashion advice.

“Is that cash in your wallet?”

“Yes, can’t I use it here? I’ve run out of cards”

“Of course you can use cash, I’m just a bit surprised you have so much”

“I saved some from our day at the beach and Candy paid me each week after I went back to the circus”

“Well that’s a pleasant surprise. In that case, what’s the dearest burger on the menu?”

James read the menu and said “I’ll have the triple whopper with cheese and double bacon, upsized meal pack, and you owe me nine bucks”

Francesco opened his wallet and said “Here take what you want”

“Stop flashing it around like that. You don’t know who’s watching. This mall is next to Chinatown, you know”

***

On Caleb’s suggestion, Gran was invited to dinner, so they could discuss arrangements for Christmas and decorate the tree.

When Gran arrived, she was toting a large tattered box and struggled to fit through the door with it.

“Let me help” said Caleb. As he took the box he said “If this is my Christmas present, you could have at least wrapped it”

“Cheeky boy, what does it say on the side?”

Caleb read from the box, in childish upper case writing “GRAMPS AND GANS GRANS CRISMAS STUF”

“Can you guess who wrote that?”

“Maybe...Craig?”

“Yes, he was only seven years old”

“Wow that must have been a long time ago. Are these decorations that old?”

“Some of them are, but we’ve added over the years and thrown out the broken ones. But I never threw out any of those made by Craig at school craft class”

“Oh Gran you don’t still have all those ugly old things” said Craig

“Old maybe, but never did I consider any of them ugly. They were all made with love”

“And a lot of paddle-pop sticks and glue and glitter and chocolate foil wrappers, even toilet roll centres”

“I’ve just got see those” exclaimed Caleb as he opened the box.

“Oh this is sad, the poor angel has lost a wing” he lamented, as he examined a toilet roll centre with

a face painted with crayon, tinsel for a halo, two pipe cleaner legs and one wing cut from a paper doily.

“Dinner’s ready” called Justin.

“And just when I was having so much fun. Gran this is great stuff”

“It’s my treasure chest of memories of Craig’s growing up. As you get further down the box, you’ll find he progressed from toilet roll centres to bits of wood and even melted plastic, when he discovered how to use an oven. But the best part is, I get to share it with the whole family every year”

<>

During dinner they discussed the other family members that would be attending and Caleb was overjoyed to find out he would be meeting one of Justin’s cousin and his boyfriend.

“So we’re all about the same age?”

“Yes, and I have another cousin, James’ brother Alex, but he won’t be here, as he’s working in a circus”

“A circus performer, that sounds exciting”

“I don’t think he performs, he’s more like a general helper and his girlfriend works in the circus also”

<>

At the end of the meal, Justin offered to do the dishes because he could see Caleb could wait no longer to start decorating the tree and he wanted Craig to be with him and Gran while they unpacked the decorations that seemed to hold so many memories.

There will be a short chapter tomorrow, as I know you will be busy shopping for my Christmas gift.     :thankyou:  
 
 
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great :) I have been waiting for another chapter with Francesco and James.  I am sure the shopping trip had Francesco all out of his comfort zone but he seemed to handle it well.  Hmm a thought just now popped into my head. Francesco would make a great waiter for Craig and Justin's catering business even possibly at the new resort Jonathon and Lachlan are opening. 

I wasn't allowed to do holiday crafts in school the religion I was brought up in didn't do holidays the only thing celebrated as I grew up was my parents Anniversary.  I feel I missed out on a lot as a child.  But I did get gifts and things year round.  My sisters children however had all the decorations and such and most of them still find there way on to the tree.  My sister is 20 years older then I am so was married the year I was born. So seeing the things gran had in the box brought back the memories of times I would spend with my sister and see those items my niece and nephew made being put on the tree or around the house. Caleb seems quite the young man/teen.  Yes he is cheeky but he is also kind it seems. 

Hmm no teaser on the next chapter bummer. HEHE  I like making assumptions. 

Q

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Another of those feel good chapters you do sooooooo well @Wombat Bill. Heartwarming without being sappy, syrupy, saccharine or super sentimental. 

Francesco is so child-like and innocent when exposed to new things. James is the perfect introduction for him into society, encouraging and non-judgmental, although at times he may be a little too excitable for Francesco, but Hannah and Julia seem to be successful in "reigning him in". 

Gran is the ultimate GODDESS. Another chapter and another delve into the delights of her past. Her reminiscences of Christmas with Craig as a child had the bloody tears flowing AGAIN @Wombat Bill, but they were tears of joy (mostly). She and Caleb have such an easy-going, joyful friendship. Caleb could not have found himself in a better home than the Simpson-Haynes-Simpson household. 

I look forward to the Christmas party, particularly the introduction of Caleb, James and Francesco. All three seem well-adjusted teenagers, so hopefully a friendship will develop that will be mutually beneficial for all three.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 3
Link to comment

@chris191070, I hope you are recovering well.

@Wombat Bill, good chapter.  James needs to let up somewhat on trying to make Francesco into an "ideal" look.

Caleb has an advantage over Francesco in dealing with the non-circus world.  He has been in it. and Gran has been very good to him.  I think he has also been good for Gran.

I have had friends and acquaintances in religions which do not celebrate holidays.  @quttzik, you did miss a lot growing up.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..