Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 3,000 Words
  • 146 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes.

Young and Hungry - For Life - 39. Part Drink Mixer, Part Psychologist

Toward the end of lunch, Gran excused herself, saying she was going to the toilet.

“I might as well go also” said Caleb.

“Then we’ll meet back here at the table” suggested Gran.

Caleb returned first and while waiting for Gran, took in the view of the passing young men. When he recognised a boy from school, he waved and the fellow student stopped and said “You’re the newbie at school, aren’t you. I’ve seen you around the school yard, but we haven’t met have we?”

“No, I’m Caleb”

“Lucas... pleased to meet you Caleb. What are you doing here on your own?”

“Waiting for my date”

“Oh, you’re on a date” Lucas replied disappointedly “Someone from school?”

“No, it’s Gran”

“What’s that short for?”

“Grandmother, I suppose”

“Your grandmother is your date?”

“Oh it’s just a joke between us, she’s just the most uber cool old lady ever”

“That’s nice, so you don’t really have a girlfriend?” Lucas asked by way of a bait.

“Oh please, I’m not into girls”

“That’s good... I mean really, so you’re...”

“Yes and you?”

“I think I am”

“You think?”

“Well, yes I’m pretty sure, just never had the chance to road test my feelings”

“That’s an interesting way of putting it”

“What about you?”

“Oh there’s my Gran. I’ll go and meet her. See you at school, on Monday”

Feeling he had been dismissed, Lucas replied half heartedly “Yes, see you then, I suppose”

<>

As they walked away, Caleb asked “Does it always take you so long at the toilet”

“Cheeky boy, it not as easy for older ladies, not like you, just peeing against the wall”

Caleb laughed and said “Got me good. Now let’s go find the sports store”

“I saw it on my way back from the toilet, I’ll show you”

“Great”

When they reached the store, Caleb started looking around for the footrests and Gran said “Let’s not waste time looking, I’ll ask” When an assistant approached them she said “Young man, would you get the store manager please?”

“Is there a problem Madam?”

“No, I just want to talk to the manager”

“Very well Madam”

When he walked away, Caleb asked “What’s wrong with asking him to help?”

“I always like to deal with the person in charge, that way you get things done properly”

“You sound a bit snobbish, if you don’t mind me saying”

“Not at all, I just expect top service”

“How can I help you Madam?” asked a middle aged man.

Gran pushed Caleb forward, stepped behind him, then winked at the manager and shook her head side to side. “Go ahead Caleb, what is it we need?”

“Oh...um...do you have any passenger footrests for a bicycle?”

“I’m sorry young man, we don’t stock those. It’s not considered safe to carry a passenger on a bicycle on a public road and even if you do then you must both wear a securely fitted and fastened helmet.”

“Oh well, that’s too bad” commented Gran “Thanks for your help anyway”

“No problem Madam, do come again” Then in a sterner voice, added “Maybe we can help you with something next time”

As they left the store, Gran noticed Caleb looking dejected and said “What a sad face, do you think if we fed it with ice cream it might smile again?”

“I so wanted to take you cycling, it would have been fun”

“I think it might have been a bit dangerous for someone my age, but I’m sure there are lots of other things we can do together”

“OK, let’s get ice cream and talk about it”

“Alright” Gran said cautiously.

***

Justin avoided Edward at work, but was not outwardly hostile towards him. Poppy’s still catered for Divas functions but Justin kept clear of all arrangements and serving. Craig only had minimal contact with Edward and usually referred him to Charlie regarding menu planning.

Craig had to tread a fine line between maintaining his friendship with Romel and not appear to Justin, as consorting with the enemy. Craig and Justin avoided any discussion about Edward and concentrated on their work and Caleb. It was Caleb’s welfare that became the new glue keeping them so close. They didn’t outwardly reveal to one another, their feelings about Caleb, but each knew this boy was as important to them as a real son would be. Perhaps in Craig’s case, is was his natural inclination to caring and maybe to Justin it was a way of giving a troubled teenager a second chance, as he was given by his aunts.

***

Edward consulted the urologist, who sent him off for a biopsy, then another consultation, then an MRI and a third consultation.

“Mr Williamson, I’m afraid the results of your tests confirm my suspicions that the growth in your prostate is malignant”

“Does that mean I have cancer?”

“Yes, it does, but don’t panic, there are a few options you have now”

The specialist explained the various options of radiotherapy, chemotherapy or a prostatectomy. He explained clearly to Edward the procedures for all and the possible outcomes.

“Do you have a preferred recommendation?” asked Edward

“A radical prostatectomy, would be my preferred course of action”

“Radical?” asked Edward

“Sorry, that means a complete removal of the prostate”

“Wow, that is radical. I’ll have to think about that”

“Of course and you should discuss it with your partner as well. This affects both of you”

“I’m lucky there, my partner is a nurse, so will understand some of the terms I may not”

“Good, if either of you have any questions, call my office and I’ll be happy to talk you through it”

“If I decide to go ahead with any of these procedures, could it be delayed till the new year?”

“I presume you want to get through Christmas before starting any course of action?”

“Yes, it is always a joyous time in our household and my partner always goes to see his family for Christmas festivities. I wouldn’t want to go through this without him with me”

“Is his family far away?”

“In the Philippines...wait...he can’t travel at present, can he? So that means he will be with me for Christmas, that’s good”

“I’m not concerned if you want to wait till the new year. Given it is already late November, I may not be able to get you booked in immediately anyway. Fortunately, prostate cancer is a very slow growing form of cancer. So although you are at an advanced stage, it will not progress much further in two months. So enjoy your Christmas by all means, but let me know as soon as you can what course of action you prefer and I can get dates locked in before Christmas”

“I will and thank you”

***

Edward planned to talk to Romel about the options he was given, but foremost on his mind while he was driving home was his annual pre-Christmas party. He started compiling a guest list in his mind and soon realised it had now outgrown their home. Then an idea hit him, ‘Brilliant’ he said to himself as he pulled into his driveway.

***

When Romel arrived home Edward said “Do you realise you won’t be able to go to your family for Christmas this year?”

“Yes, of course. The international border’s still closed. I’ve spoken to Mum and she’s disappointed but understands why”

“So that means you’ll be here for my party and Christmas day. The party’s going to be just spectacular this year. The best ever”

“OK, but I’d rather you tell me what the specialist said”

“Oh we’ll talk about that later, the party’s more important now”

“More important than your health?”

“Yes...that is no, but whatever I decide to do it won’t be till the new year. So from that angle the party comes first”

“I’d still prefer you told me what he said”

“Oh later, I’ve got this most amazing idea for our party this year and I’m just bursting to tell someone”

“OK, go ahead, but after dinner you have to tell me about your consult”

“Yes yes, whatever. Now listen, I’ve got a preliminary guest list and I think there will be too many for here. Our friends’ numbers have grown considerably this year”

“Not the impression I got”

“Oh they’ll come ‘round and forgive me. They never miss my party”

“There’s always a first time for everything”

“Yeah, but when they hear how spectacular it’s going to be, they won’t want to miss it”

“Then I suppose you had better tell me before you burst”

“Well, as I said this place is not big enough now so, wait for it. We’re going to have it at Divas and.... it just occurred to me, that way I can make it tax deductable if the expenses are mixed up with legitimate business expenses”

“That’s it?”

“No no, that’s just a fringe benefit. You know how we were planning to have cabaret, but it got sidetracked by other events, that I won’t mention. Well I’m thinking that if we have the party at Divas, then we can have a trial cabaret as party entertainment. If that goes well then we go live in January as part of the Sydney Festival and that runs us into February, which is Mardi Gras time”

“Sounds good, but how much will it cost?”

“Maybe a bit more than usual with an enlarge guest list, but everyone contributes something”

“What about the cabaret, you’ll have to pay artists”

“I’ll ask the artists to perform for free. It will be a rehearsal for the real thing, and besides they’ll all be friends and party guests as well”

“How do you see that?”

“There’s me and Juanito, plus Tristan, Snowy and Justin, just for starters. I’ll have to check on some of the others. Maybe the twins could do another double act and we’ll see who else I can round up. It’s going to be fabulous”

“Mmm” was all Romel could manage without raining on Edward’s parade.

***

Dean noticed Justin’s coolness towards Edward and assumed it must be about the book, so he decided he needed to read it and also suggested that to Andy. Quickly the word spread and soon most of their friends were reading the book also. Because of his drunken incident, stay in hospital and his prostate diagnosis, Edward had forgotten to remove his story from the website.

***

Rather than arrange another meeting regarding the cabaret, Edward emailed all interested parties to confirm they were up for the challenge and to tell them about his plans for a trial run at his Christmas party, and further plans for the Sydney Festival and Mardi Gras.

Juanito was on board of course, as were Snowy and Tristan. The twins agreed to perform for free at the party, provided it led to paid gigs.

Craig forwarded his email to Charlie with an added note, Please take care of this.

Justin did not reply immediately as he needed time to compose a suitable message. When he asked Craig if scumbag was one word or two, Craig asked why.

“I’m replying to Edward’s request for people to work at his party”

“I take it you’re answer is a firm no”

“Of course, what else?”

“In that case, it can be one or two words, but are you sure you want to call him that”

“Maybe you’re right. I’ll stick with fucking cunt”

***

When Edward read Justin’s email, he was immediately reminded of his story online. He logged on to delete the story as previously promised, but noticed an increasing number of readers. This apparent newly won popularity inflated his ego and he decided to leave the story online. He assumed Justin would not log on again so he wouldn’t know.

***

With entertainment and food lined up, Edward then issued his invitations including a note that alcohol was either BYO or purchase at Dean’s Bar.

Craig declined politely, on behalf of him and Justin, without explanation. Acceptances however, were very few.

Over the next week Edward got into the daily habit of checking his email for RSVPs and then logging on to his story to check on the number of readers. Slowly the ‘inability to attend’ replies started to arrive. By the end of the week Edward noticed that, as his readership increased, so did the number of declined invitations.

When Tristan pulled out of the cabaret performance, Edward assumed he had Dance Company commitments. However when Snowy also pulled out Edward became suspicious.

Upon arrival at Divas, he immediately went to Poppy’s kitchen to ask Snowy for an explanation.

“Um...er...I can’t do it without Tristan and he can’t perform for your party”

“Can’t or won’t?” asked Edward.

“Well...he doesn’t have the time”

“Did he get the part in the SDC show?”

“Um...that must be it”

Charlie noticed the confrontation and asked “Edward, is there something I can help you with?”

“NO! He yelled, I’m talking to Snowy”

“Then I’d appreciate it if you have your conversation out of my kitchen, but not now. Snowy, you have meals to prepare”

“Yes chef” then returning his attention to Edward, Snowy continued “You’ll have to talk to Tristan, I can’t talk now”

Edward went to his broom-closet office at Divas and called Romel at work. “Do you know anything about why so many people are not coming to my party?”

“Maybe they’re all busy”

“They’ve never been busy before, and why this year, especially as I have such big plans”

“Well I’m busy, can’t talk now, I’m on duty and there are call buttons ringing. Bye, see you when I get home”

While Edward was talking to Romel he received a text from Isa, one of the twins. ‘Sorry Edward, other commitments have come up and Duncan and I will not be available to perform or attend your party’

“That’s the last straw” he muttered and called Tristan’s number.

“Hi Tris, sorry you won’t be able to perform at the party of the year. Did you get the part in the new dance programme at SDC?”

“Not yet, they’re still deliberating”

“So why have you cancelled your commitment to me?”

“Hasn’t anyone else told you?”

“Told me what?”

“After Justin’s revelation at the meeting, some of us were curious and started reading your story. It’s not bad writing actually, but you have made no attempt to conceal the identities of the characters and we can all see you have exploited our friend’s family tragedy”

“But..but...I apologised to him”

“I don’t think that helps, you’ve already hurt him severely and by association you’ve hurt us, his friends. Can’t you see that? Also, I thought you would have removed it by now, but it’s still there for the whole world to read”

Edward was becoming agitated by Tristan’s remarks and fired back “Well, it’s you lot who are to blame for that”

“By what stretch of the imagination do you figure that?”

“I was going to delete it last week, but so many people were reading it, I assumed they liked it, so I left it. There were no adverse comments”

“Maybe we care more about your feelings than you care about Justin’s family. I for one, didn’t want to add to the damage already done”

“I didn’t see it that way. I was thrilled to have more readers and didn’t realise who they were. Thanks for telling me, I’ll take it down immediately”

“I think that’s a wise decision, even if belated”

“So will I be forgiven then?”

“Don’t push your luck Edward. It’s not so easy”

***

The story was unpublished from the website within minutes of Edward saying goodbye to Tristan. Edward then went back to Poppy’s kitchen. When Charlie saw him approaching he said “I thought I told you not to bother Snowy while he’s working”

“I’m here on business, to talk to you”

“I’m busy now”

“It’ll only take a minute. I want to cancel the catering booking for my Christmas party”

“Oh, cancelled completely?”

“Yes, full cancellation”

“OK, thanks for letting me know, any particular reason?”

“Let’s just say, lack of interest”

“No problem, now I’ve got to get back to work”

“Sure, sorry to have bothered you”

<>

Returning to his office, Edward reflected on his actions over the past few months and wondered how he could have allowed himself to get it so wrong. ‘I won’t be able to figure that out on my own’ he thought ‘I’ll need help’. He took his laptop, went to Dean’s Bar, ordered a drink, sat in a booth and opened his laptop. By the time his drink arrived, he had written an email to everyone, with a Divas party cancellation notice and an apology for doing so. Just as he was about to press ‘send’, he paused and added ‘A further apology, to you all. My thoughtless actions that hurt Justin’s family, I know also hurt all of you. I probably don’t deserve your friendship any longer and if that is how it is to be, then I accept my punishment. I would, however like the opportunity to make up in some way by inviting, anyone who wishes to come, to my home on December 10th, from 5pm, for pre-Christmas drinks. Thank you and warmest regards, Edward.

Message sent, laptop closed and glass emptied, Edward signaled to Dean for a refill.

“Drinking all alone tonight, or waiting for someone?” asked Dean as he delivered Edward’s drink

“Drinking all alone, I don’t have any friends”

“Don’t you know, one of our house rules prohibits that? So start warming that bar stool on the end and I’ll listen to you between serving customers”

“Thank you Dean, I’ll accept your offer. A truly professional barman”

“Thank you Edward, I always say this job is part drink mixer and part psychologist”

Edward laughed, for the first time in weeks.

*****

Next Chapter - Something’s cooking. Craig delivers a blunt message.
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Okay I get it Edward made a mistake but boy is everyone blowing this all out of proportion.  So Justin has a problem with Edward and I guess Edward made some mistakes in his writing a beta reader would have been good but he was new to writing and was told or had read to write what you know.  I still think that everyone is over reacting What happened to forgiveness I mean he has apologized and now the story is offline yes it should have happened sooner but there were some issues there with Edward’s health. 

Hmm seems Caleb missed the mark there with Lucas. Thankfully Gran won’t be riding on the back of Caleb’s cycle that could have gone very wrong. 

  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

I felt an overwhelming sadness approaching as the Edward storyline progressed @Wombat Bill, especially after the remark "Drinking all alone, I don’t have any friends”.  But with "Edward laughed, for the first time in weeks" I lost it completely. I am writing these comments through a veil of tears. How has it come to this? Was Edward's behaviour so reprehensible that he deserves this treatment? My response is an emphatic no. I understand Craig wanting to support Justin, even though Justin is behaving somewhat like a petulant child, but as for the rest of those "spineless bitches", really? I am in agreement with my fellow CWB groupie @quttzik, everyone is overreacting. I am very disappointed in all "the cast". Edward has so often offered them all support and encouragement, and in return they have erased his friendship. Justin's "replacement" for scumbag is perhaps the most apt description for all of them, other than Craig and Romel.

Caleb and Gran. Caleb and Lucas. The latter has a "nice ring to it" too @Wombat Bill. If "love is in the air" I think Gran will be the first to see it and the first to offer congratulations. She and Caleb were the only joy in an otherwise sad and melancholic chapter. 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 3
Link to comment

It certainly took Edward long enough to get the message that his actions had hurt Justin, and, by extension, Justin's close friends.  Ego can certainly get in the way of doing the right things.

Gran's actions in wanting to see the manager reminded me of when I was working for a large corporation, and we heard a story of how the President of the Company had a mother in his home town who always wanted the store manager or the manager on duty to wait on her.  However, in her case, the personnel of the store never dared to be rude in the slightest to her.

Caleb and Gran are okay, but Justin and Craig need to get back to a better relationship outside of their mutual care for Caleb.

Edward's actions reminded me of another writer who admitted to me that the first five paragraphs of a story published a couple of years ago were based on actual events.  However, after that point events diverged so much that it could not possibly be confused with real life.  There is a huge difference between five paragraphs and many chapters.

Hopefully, Caleb and Lucas can explore friendship, whether they explore more than friendship or not.  Good story, @Wombat Bill.

  • Like 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

In some ways I feel sorry for Edward, but I think he has brought his loss of friends on himself.

He should have never put the book up, without someone reading it first and removed it immediately.

Instead it has left him all alone, hopefully his apology will help because he doesn't need the added stress whilst dealing with his diagnosis.

Is love in the air for Caleb, he and Gran are great together

  • Like 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

In addition to my critique above, did Justin bother to inform any of the others that Edward had apologised, or did he merely rage against him to their mutual friends/acquaintances? Justin has only added "fuel to the fire" by airing his grievances in such a public manner. He appears to be enjoying playing the victim, the martyr, wallowing in the alleged misery Edward's novel has brought into his life. Is Edward's ego any bigger than Justin's? I don't think so.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Edward has realised his mistake and apologised to everyone, can they all act like adults and except his apology or are they all going to behave like petulant children.

If they go down the road of petulant children, the working atmosphere at Divas will suffer and it will take customers not long to notice and business will go downhill, which they do not need after the pandemic.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

I just can’t believe everyone took Justins side… The whining sniveling baby. At this point I wish Jared would have survived and him and Justin disappeared together. Or I wish somehow Craig finds out what was going on between them. Or wait was Edward so observant that he figured out what was going on and wrote about that hence what Justin is so over worked about? That still doesn’t explain everyone else acting like arses.

  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment

Right now, it seems that Dean is the closest thing to neutral of any of the group of friends.  

But friendship has many levels.  Some friendship are mainly "surface" and suffer being rent asunder (and I'm using "rent" in the old-fashioned way of being torn or ripped apart) quickly and under many circumstances.   Some friendships are long-term, and have grown slowly and sturdily under a variety of circumstances (Craig and Romel, for example).  Some friendships are in-between, deeper than a casual friendship, but not as time-tested and firm as those which could be considered truly long-term or lifelong.  (This paragraph is adapted from something a friend observed and stated in the past.)

Edward is finding out that many of his friendships are the more casual types.  Sometimes friendship partially depends on who is pulling from what direction, and why.  Friendship can also depends on perceptions of events which may be true, or which may not be true, or may be a mixture of truth, falsehood, or perceptions of various proportions.  Usually, each person in a friendship group has only a part of the truth available.  When combined with someone's various personal personality peculiarities, problems may arise.

Dean probably does not have any magic friendship fixing formula.  But by listening, he may nudge Edward into something helpful.  Edward also needs to remember that time and continual evidence of changed behavior sometimes is the only way for things to be resolved.

Sorry, friends, for waxing so much philosophy on you.  Justin also needs to remember (or be told, bluntly, if he does know know or realize) that holding on to a grudge eats away at the person holding it.  Yes, he was hurt by Edward's actions.  Yes, Edward was wrong to write the story such such minor changes.  But -- Life moves on.  Justin needs to realize that the world has more  things to do than only scrutinize his family and him.

@quttzik and @Summerabbacat and @chris191070 have all pointed out pieces of what is happening.  Before there is any sort of final resolution, IF there is, more things will happen.  Our @Wombat Bill will have more info for us, I am certain, as chapters go on.

Edited by ReaderPaul
  • Love 3
Link to comment

@ReaderPaul I get what your saying.  But these are supposed to be adults and 2 wrongs don’t make a right.  Edward has been around longer then Justin especially where Craig is concerned so why is every against Edward and all supporting Justin? Why is it Edward needs a nudge and not Justin? I just can’t believe no one has said anything to Justin about how he is acting aside from some soft comments from Craig.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, quttzik said:

@ReaderPaul I get what your saying.  But these are supposed to be adults and 2 wrongs don’t make a right.  Edward has been around longer then Justin especially where Craig is concerned so why is every against Edward and all supporting Justin? Why is it Edward needs a nudge and not Justin? I just can’t believe no one has said anything to Justin about how he is acting aside from some soft comments from Craig.

You got to remember that Edward did all of this because he did not ask Justin if he could use his family story. even the part about him being a victim of the molestation when he was a school kid.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 12/13/2021 at 1:33 AM, quttzik said:

Or I wish somehow Craig finds out what was going on between them.

See "An Appetite for More" chapter 39. Justin's talk with Craig when he returns from Uluru

On 12/13/2021 at 8:15 AM, haines87 said:

You got to remember that Edward did all of this because he did not ask Justin if he could use his family story. even the part about him being a victim of the molestation when he was a school kid.

See "Catering With Benefits" chapter 3. Although Sam was older than Justin, was it molestation? 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Wombat Bill said:

See "An Appetite for More" chapter 39. Justin's talk with Craig when he returns from Uluru

See "Catering With Benefits" chapter 3. Although Sam was older than Justin, was it molestation? 

if you look at the definition of molestation it's any sexual assault or abuse of a women or a child. and in the eyes of the law Justin was a minor meaning child so yes it was molestation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..