Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,929 Words
  • 222 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes.

Young and Hungry - For Life - 32. Blow Up

“That was a close call” said Brenda “For a moment there, I thought he might not sign the agreement”

“Why would he not sign it, since they brought the agreement with them?”

“I don’t know really, but they both just seemed a bit suspicious when we returned from speaking to Smidmore”

“Just as well we did or we or we wouldn’t know about the possibility that Dean could take action against us”

“Yeah, the law’s a strange and complicated thing. Who would have thought, signing an agreement Dean thought was to protect him actually protects me”

“Well it doesn’t really protect us, but it does mean Dean will think he’s won and probably not think about it anymore” concluded Alma.

“He’s a smart man that Smidmore”

“Yes, it’s no wonder the company and the Prices have retained him, at great expense, for so many years”

“Who would have thought that a few grams of bodily fluid that millions of men casually throw away every day, in a condom or wiped up with a tissue, could create a new life and give us such happiness” Brenda said as she patted her stomach.

“Or create a legal nightmare”

“I know that now, I’m glad you thought of calling Smidmore. As he said, it may not stand up in court, but the main thing is Dean believes he’s protected from us making a claim, although we wouldn’t do that anyway. Our child’s health and happiness is worth more than a few dollars we might get from asking for child support”

“And as Smidmore said, so long as Dean believes that, and is happy with the outcome then he is less likely to think of accusing you of theft or even rape”

“Maybe, but as long as there’s no violence involved, what man is going to accuse a woman of rape? His mates would laugh him out of town”

“A straight man maybe, but a gay man and his friends, may not see it that way, especially if the woman is a lesbian”

“Fuck, that’s a good point. I’m glad we took Smidmore’s advice and let Dean think he’s the winner in this”

***

Edward called a meeting of friends and interested parties, to discuss staging cabaret at Divas, following his previous suggestion.

They all gathered in Divas and, at Edward’s expense, Dean set up a few ice tubs with beer and wine. When everybody had a drink, Edward started the meeting.

“Thanks for coming, everyone, I trust everyone is well and getting back to normal life. Hopefully this pandemic is now behind us”

“It’s so good to get out shopping normally” said Andy

“And having a haircut” added Tristan

“I’m just glad I can now give my clients haircuts again, if you know what I mean” Brett said with a wink”

“Tristan has already told me he has recruited the twins Isa and Duncan to give ballroom dancing lessons and he is working on an idea of his, to run contemporary ballet lessons for fun and exercise. Who knows, I may even been seen wearing Lycra one day soon”

“Looking forward to that” remarked Snowy.

“That’s enough cheek from you, young man”

“It could have been a compliment” he replied.

“Now have you all been busy putting together suggestions for cabaret acts? I’m looking forward to some exciting and innovative ideas. So let your imaginations run wild. Who would like to speak first?”

“I would” said Justin

“Good, are you and Snowy going to reprise or update your strip act from New Year’s Eve?”

“No definitely not”

“Then what have you got lined up for us?”

“I thought I might write a short play to entertain our audience”

“That’s not cabaret material”

“Oh mine will be. It’s a salacious tale of mystery, and betrayal”

“Still doesn’t sound appropriate”

“Let him tell us” said Romel.

“Thank you. My story starts with a group who have been friends for many years and always supportive of each other. But one day, one of the group betrays two very close friends by writing a story that purports to be fiction, but is actually about a very sad and difficult part of those friends lives. Sounding familiar Edward?”

“No, should it?”

“Then I will continue. The friend’s father is imprisoned for murder and then, sadly takes his own life in prison”

“I don’t think this is an appropriate forum for this discussion, Justin”

“I disagree, it’s the perfect forum to discuss betrayal. If one is seeking the support of friends for his business, but betrays the friends, then it should be exposed in front of those friends”

“Please stop NOW!” demanded Edward

“No, let him go on this is getting interesting” suggested Brett.

“Stay out of this Brett” replied Edward

“But... but I want to know what Justin means”

“Please Brett” asked Jeremy

Then Justin continued “I can see a lot of people around the table are confused. Now that Edward obviously, knows what I am talking about, I will explain for the others”

“Yes, please explain” asked Andy

“I will. So in the manner of our illustrious writer, whose identity we will barely disguise by calling him Edwin, I will tell my story. Edwin, name changed to protect the guilty, wrote what he called a work of fiction. However he was so bereft of original ideas, he decided to write about real events in the life of his friends. He did not ask those friends for permission or even mention that he was using their lives as material for his book. Instead he wrote the story and published it on the internet, for everyone to read”

Justin then looked around the table and asked “Does anyone know what I am talking about now?” A few nodded, then Justin continued, “Perhaps I need to tell you more”

“No you don’t” shouted Edward, “I will explain for myself”

It was then, Brett slapped his forehead and said “Now I get it”

“Yes, thank you Brett. Please allow me to continue” asked Edward, as he stood up. “Some of you may know that I have written a book, and some of you may have read part of it, as it is not fully published yet. It is true that I chose a story line that is close to real events as a starting point, but I changed the names and places to conceal identities. I didn’t seek approval of the people involved in the real event, as I thought reliving those memories may be too traumatic for them. But the true events, which I researched extensively, are only a small part of the story. The rest is purely fiction and is my attempt to give one possible explanation of a mystery referenced in the actual coroner’s report”

Edward then sat down, took a large sip of his wine, then continued. “It would seem that my actions have upset one of our number here. For that I apologise, but wish that person had come to me privately to raise his concerns, instead of involving all here”

Justin then stood up, as a gesture that showed he was taking control of the floor. “Edward may be correct in his wish for the matter to be raised privately, but I chose this somewhat public forum to air my grievance, because he chose an even more public forum to expose my family’s trauma”

Most of the group applauded Justin, then he sat, relinquishing the floor to whoever wished to speak next. He was expecting Edward to reply, but instead Romel rose to his feet and said “As partner to Edward, colleague for many years of Craig and good friend of Justin, I feel I too should make an apology. I was the first to read the beginning of the story and clearly recognised the material used. I don’t think I am betraying any confidence now, when I say I recognised the material was that of Justin’s family. I apologise to Justin, Craig and their families for not doing more to discourage Edward from writing this story. Thank you”

Romel also received a round of applause, while Edward sat in silence.

Thomas then entered the forum by saying “While this was never intended to be a debate, nonetheless, it seems to have been such. May I suggest that, unless the principals wish to add more, then we should adjourn the meeting and allow those parties to discuss the matter in private, if they wish to do so. Is that OK guys?”

Both Justin and Edward nodded their acceptance of the suggestion, then Thomas continued “Gentlemen, lets adjourn for a quiet drink. Dean, the next shout is on me”

<>

During the break, Edward approached Justin, and asked “Can we talk?”

“I don’t have any more to say to you”

“Then would you please listen to me?”

“Go ahead, if you must”

“I’ve apologised publicly, now I’d like to apologise privately. I am so sorry this has caused such pain to you. I really did not think this through properly before I wrote the story. Furthermore, I will take down the story immediately and not publish any more, even though the second half is purely fiction”

Justin just stared at Edward, so Craig stepped in, “Thank you Edward, that will be acceptable. OK with you Justin?”

“No it’s too fuckin’ late for apologies. The damage has already been done”

“I’m sorry you feel that way Justin, but there is nothing more I can do. I can unpublish the story, but I can’t wind back time”

“Edward, you’ve let your tongue loose before and we’ve all forgiven you, but when it’s in writing for the whole world to see, that’s the end as far as I’m concerned. This is the last time I will ever speak to you, or even acknowledge your existence. Now fuck off out of my life”

As Justin walked away, Edward said to Craig “I don’t know what else I can do to fix this”

“Edward, some things are unfixable”

“Then go and support your man, he needs you now more than ever” Edward concluded.

<>

As Justin and Craig were leaving, Raj rushed up to them and asked “Are you leaving already?”

“Yes Raj, Justin’s a bit upset so best we go home” replied Craig

“Oh, I’m sorry about that”

“Thanks Raj, but we’ll deal with it”

“No, I meant I’m sorry you are leaving, wanted to talk to you both”

“Probably not the best time now Raj”

“It will only take a few minutes”

“I’ll wait for you in the car” said Justin.

“OK Justin....Now what is it that’s so important Raj?”

“I was wondering if you had any vacancies at Poppy’s. I’m looking for a new job”

“Um...I don’t know...that is, now is not the right time to talk about this. Can it wait till next week?”

“I suppose so, if it must”

“Yes Raj, it must” Craig concluded, curtly.

<>

Edward joined the group in Divas and made a brief announcement “Friends, I asked you here tonight to plan our cabaret, but the course of the evening was taken out of my hands, even though I may have been the cause. I thank you all for coming, but under the circumstances, we should abandon the meeting for tonight. Please adjourn to Dean’s Bar and the drinks are on me for the rest of the evening. I won’t be joining you as I need to go home and have a long hard think about losing two very good friends. Good night all”

<>

Two couples took to their vehicles. Romel and Craig drove while Edward and Justin sat in silence.

After ten minutes, Edward said “What do you think I should do, I don’t want to lose my best friends?”

“It may be too late for that. Maybe the best thing you can do for now is, nothing” Romel replied.

“I know you’re hurting” said Craig “But don’t let this ruin a long term friendship, and especially don’t let it eat away at you”

“But I just hate him with such intensity”

“Do you know hate doesn’t hurt the other party, it only hurts the one doing the hating?

“You fuckin’ well know that’s not me” replied Edward. I can’t just do nothing. I don’t want to just ignore this and especially don’t want them to think I am ignoring them”

“I’m sure that’s exactly what they want now. If you go meddling in their lives anymore, it won’t help”

“It might hurt if I make it more public” suggested Justin.

“What do you mean by that?”

“There’s social media. I could put some statements out there. Tell the whole world what a low life he is”

“That’s called trolling and the social media operators are trying to stop it”

“Oh yes, as if Zuckerberg gives a flying fuck about that, as long as it makes him another million today”

“As may be” replied Edward “But it will eat away at me if I don’t do something”

“I really believe it’s too late to do anything. He said he never wants to hear from you again”

“But...”

“But nothing, just fucking leave it will you”

“Romel, I don’t think I’ve ever heard you use that word before”

“And I don’t think you’ve ever been such an arsehole before, although you have come very close at times”

“There’s another word I’ve not heard pass your lips before”

“And I’ve got a few more that I might use if you don’t shut up about this”

“I know what I’ll do” said Justin “I’ll join that website where he published his work of betrayal. You know the only fictional part of it was calling it fiction”

“And what will that achieve”

“You can make comments on the writer’s work. I can think of a few suitable comments”

“But he’s going to take down the story”

“Then I have to get onto the site before he does”

“Why are you so pissed off with me?” asked Edward

“You’re not the only one who lost a friend. Craig was a friend and colleague of mine even before I met you. We went through training together, worked in A & E together, with junkies throwing up all over us and having to drag groping drunks off the female nurses. We always had each other’s backs. Craig is the most caring person I have ever met. When racist remarks were made about me, he was the only one who stood up for me. I really love that man. I’d do anything for him”

“Bloody hell!” exclaimed Edward.

Justin opened the browser on his phone and said “What was the name of that site...um...amateur something. He then did a search with the words amateur, writing, fiction, and soon found Amateur Authors. “That sounds like it, now I’ll join up”

“And then do what?”

“Just you wait and see”

Edward opened the house, then headed straight for the liquor cabinet and a bottle of his favourite Merlot, while Romel locked the garage.

‘No fuck it’ he said to himself as he slipped it back into the rack ‘I need something stronger than that’

When Romel arrived, Edward was rattling around the pantry and muttering ‘Where’s that bottle of Vodka that was left over from a party?’

“You don’t drink Vodka”

“I do now, I don’t think Merlot’s going to kill the pain tonight”

“Well, you can drink alone, I’m going to bed”

By the time Justin had signed up, Craig pulled into their driveway, stopped the engine and got out of the car. “Are you getting out, so I can lock the car?”

“I won’t be long”

“No, get out now. I’m not standing here waiting, while you fuck around with your phone”

***

Edward poured himself a large glass of vodka and sat sipping it, with only Peggy for company. When he realised it wasn’t working he downed the rest of the glass and refilled. He took it to his study, powered up his laptop and logged in to remove his story from his account. He noticed he had two notifications. The first one was a complimentary comment about his latest chapter. The second, from a previously unknown member named TrulyPissedOff. As he read it, a chill came over him, so he took another warming mouthful of vodka. There was no mistaking who had written it and why. Edward broke down crying and wondered how he had let things get so bad between him and his friends.

Then his enlarged prostate reminded him it was time for a trip to the bathroom.

***

“Do you feel better now” asked Craig

“Not until I’m sure he’s read it and his fans have read it also”

“How will you know?”

“They’ll make comments, probably call me a... what is it...a troll, and then I’ll feel better about it”

<>

Romel woke during the night and noticed Edward was not beside him. He assumed he had fallen asleep in the lounge after some heavy drinking. Before he went looking for Edward he thought, as long as he was up anyway, he might as well visit the bathroom to relieve himself. There he found five empty blister packs lying in the wash basin. He picked up one, labelled Valium and yelled “NO!” Then he went running down the hall screaming “Edward, Edward...”

When he saw Edward lying on the lounge, empty vodka bottle still in his hand, and Peggy clearly distressed, he switched to nursing mode, called 000 and tried to revive his partner.

*****

Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Wow 5
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

OMG Stupid fight Justin you big dumb arsehole you over reacted and now you will have something to haunt you for the rest of your life if Edward dies. 

Some one needs to grow the F up.  Revenge is never the way to go.  And Craig is absolutely correct Hate only causes grief for the person Hating.

Edited by quttzik
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, quttzik said:

OMG Stupid fight Justin you big dumb arsehole you over reacted and now you will have something to haunt you for the rest of your life if Edward dies. 

Some one needs to grow the F up.  Revenge is never the way to go.  And Craig is absolutely correct Hate only causes grief for the person Hating.

Well said @quttzik

I was very disappointed in Edward's behaviour in the last chapter, but softened in this chapter when he was clearly remorseful that he had caused such distress to Justin. In hindsight, I believe Edward was genuinely surprised Justin was so upset; he was, I believe, naive at worst not to have contemplated Justin may be distressed. Another aspect I had not considered until this chapter is that circulation of Edward's novel is to a small and select audience (presumably), most of whom would be unfamiliar with the "inspiration" for the story, and perhaps most importantly, Edward makes no profit from the story. If Edward lives (and I sincerely hope he does), Justin should re-examine his response.

I do not envy Romel, he is caught between a rock and a hard place. If Edward dies, he will be inconsolable, as will Peggy. Cats are so intuitive, Peggy knows exactly what is going on. I suspect Edward will live, but will he ever be the same, will he lose some of his joie de vivre.

OMG @Wombat Bill this is THE most upsetting chapter you have ever written. Of all the story lines, this was the one which has saddened me the most. Edward cannot die, he is the glue that holds the CWB group together, even if that glue seems to have come unstuck for the moment (hopefully not permanently).

As for those two bitches, Alma and Brenda, I quote Justin "Now fuck off out of my life”. Their behaviour was selfish, calculating and sinister. They have thought of no one but themselves. For the sake of Dean, Andy and the unborn child, I hope Brenda has a miscarriage. She is a see you next Tuesday, and Alma in apparent complicity, is not much better. With these two bitches as friends, Dean and Andy don't need enemies.

I sense though Alma may not be as impressed with Brenda's "initiative" as what Brenda herself is. Brenda did not seem at all concerned when Smidmore indicated what she had done could be considered rape, however, I am not so sure that this was how Alma felt. I wonder if the method of conception of the child may ultimately sour their relationship to the point of collapse. If so, Dean, Andy and Alma, will all need to get "lawyered" up; I do not trust Brenda one iota.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 1
  • Wow 3
Link to comment
39 minutes ago, Summerabbacat said:

Another aspect I had not considered until this chapter is that circulation of Edward's novel is to a small and select audience (presumably), most of whom would be unfamiliar with the "inspiration" for the story,

Yup I had mentioned this myself in the last chapter comments. That I assumed this was going to a gay author website for publication and not many aside from the CWB group would know the whole story behind it. 

So sad to see Justin losing his temper over something so trivial.  And so so sad to see how it has led to Edwards distress. Romel probably didn't help the way he went off on Edward in the car either. 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment

I've not much cared for Justin ever since he met Jared anyway and now I just about very highly dislike him.  His cheating on Craig which pretty much made Justin successful turning around and cheating on him with his own brother....  

I've mentioned it before but a lot of these guys need to learn to keep it in their pants unless its with their own partner.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, quttzik said:

I've not much cared for Justin ever since he met Jared anyway and now I just about very highly dislike him.  His cheating on Craig which pretty much made Justin successful turning around and cheating on him with his own brother....  

I've mentioned it before but a lot of these guys need to learn to keep it in their pants unless its with their own partner.

I have to say @quttzikI was less concerned than you with the infidelity; what concerned me was the effort Jared and by default Justin, went to to conceal the infidelity and the blatant lies they told when questioned about it by their respective partners. In similar circumstances, I believe I would find it very difficult to trust my partner, which would lead to suspicions, perhaps not justified, and jealousy. I am surprised Craig did not press the issue further. I have wondered if his response was perhaps diluted by the fact Justin strayed with his own brother rather than a complete stranger. I suspect Craig may have seen through Jared's act too, and recognised him for the manipulative bastard he proved to be.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

@Summerabbacat Yes thats pretty much what I meant as well not so much the infidelity but the whole cover up lies and schemes to get away with it. 

Also was thinking I bet Justin his just burned a lot of bridges when people find out that the blow up from Justin's public confrontation and his comment on Edwards story is the reason for Edward to have attempted to take his life he is going to lose a lot of friends. For his sake if anything he better hope Edward was not successful.  Edward means a lot to the group and they love him like a father/mother figure over the group.  I for one would be dropping Justin as a friend. 

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Justin's behaviour towards Edward in public was shameful, he should of spoken to him in private.

I think Justin was a more angry about the book because it reminded him of his brief relationship he had with Jared.

I think it's far to late for the friendships to be repaired, especially after Justin commenting on the story.

Hopefully Romel has found Edward in time.

If Edward dies, Justin will find himself removed from the group of friends at Divas as they all treated Edward as a father figure.

Edited by chris191070
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment

Wow.  Just -- wow.  I hope Romel and the emergency crews can save Edward, but I don't know if it will happen or not.

Justin is overreacting, but I can only blame him just a little.  What Edward did was quite wrong.  At the same time, Craig and Romel will be the real losers if Edward dies.

What @quttzik said is so true -- "Some one needs to grow the F up.  Revenge is never the way to go.  And Craig is absolutely correct.  Hate only causes grief for the person Hating."

Looking forward to answers to whether Edward lives in the next chapter, @Wombat Bill

 

  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, quttzik said:

@Summerabbacat Yes thats pretty much what I meant as well not so much the infidelity but the whole cover up lies and schemes to get away with it. 

Also was thinking I bet Justin his just burned a lot of bridges when people find out that the blow up from Justin's public confrontation and his comment on Edwards story is the reason for Edward to have attempted to take his life he is going to lose a lot of friends. For his sake if anything he better hope Edward was not successful.  Edward means a lot to the group and they love him like a father/mother figure over the group.  I for one would be dropping Justin as a friend. 

Hear hear @quttzik! I have oft said that Edward/Ed Wiener is @Wombat Bill's Anna Madrigal. Although not transgender, I too have viewed him as the father/mother figure for the group. He has oft displayed the qualities associated with both genders (albeit narrowly I think), nurturing, caring and protecting. Perhaps this is why Peggy chose him to be her human too.

  • Love 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

I think Justin was a more angry about the book because it reminded him of his brief relationship he had with Jared.

That is a very interesting and astute observation @chris191070, not one I would have made, but I strongly suspect you might be onto something. I have never contemplated this before, but Justin may well be embarrassed and/or ashamed of his behaviour, particularly given his relationship with Jared "went south" at the end. 

  • Love 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, ReaderPaul said:

Justin is overreacting, but I can only blame him just a little.  What Edward did was quite wrong.  At the same time, Craig and Romel will be the real losers if Edward dies.

Also a very interesting observation @ReaderPaul. I had not given any thought to Craig's reaction to Edward's death, only Romel's. You are right however, Craig may not always have agreed with Edward, nevertheless I believe there has always been a great deal of respect and affection between the two. 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 4
Link to comment

@Summerabbacat, @chris191070, and @quttzik have all pointed out  pieces of the puzzle.  I would like to thank them for that. 

Craig and Romel have gone through so much together in their nursing careers.  Sometimes their experiences give them a perspective that the rest of the group does not have.  

Justin's behavior was triggered by multiple things.  I think he worries more about the public being reminded of the events concerning his father, but is also reminded of the events involving Jared.  Often, however, the public takes less notice of individuals than individuals think they do.  BUT, to the individual, any attention to something that individual does not want mentioned or remembered seems hyper-attentive to the one most directly affected.

I also don't remember if it was stated that the Amateur Authors group was a gay group of authors or just a group of authors.  Perhaps someone here can remind us.

 

 

Edited by ReaderPaul
  • Love 4
Link to comment

@ReaderPaul I recall it was a gay website, much like GA, but I may be mistaken. I find I have often read things which are not there, but are perhaps implied or are a logical conclusion to draw. A little like the brain auto-correcting spelling or grammatical errors when reading (totally unlike the annoying auto-correct on mobile phones though).

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

@ReaderPaul It wasn't specifically mentioned that it was a gay site, however I am assuming it was since I am sure the story is dealing with multiple gay characters I could be wrong however.   

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Summerabbacat said:

@ReaderPaul I recall it was a gay website, much like GA, but I may be mistaken. I find I have often read things which are not there, but are perhaps implied or are a logical conclusion to draw. A little like the brain auto-correcting spelling or grammatical errors when reading (totally unlike the annoying auto-correct on mobile phones though).

2 minutes ago, quttzik said:

@ReaderPaul It wasn't specifically mentioned that it was a gay site, however I am assuming it was since I am sure the story is dealing with multiple gay characters I could be wrong however.   

Well, I am reminded of one story website which can be accessed at more than one web address, and ends in dot org, that does not require some of the same quality that GA has, but does have some good stories, but including one category that I don't care for -- mpreg (male pregnancy).  It is not just a gay or lesbian site; it also has straight as well as gay, and some stuff I personally just consider weird.

Fortunately, @Wombat Bill is much more reasonable in what he writes.

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, ReaderPaul said:

Well, I am reminded of one story website which can be accessed at more than one web address, and ends in dot org, that does not require some of the same quality that GA has, but does have some good stories, but including one category that I don't care for -- mpreg (male pregnancy).  It is not just a gay or lesbian site; it also has straight as well as gay, and some stuff I personally just consider weird.

Fortunately, @Wombat Bill is much more reasonable in what he writes.

Male pregnancy @ReaderPaul! WTF is that all about?

I think this chapter has illustrated, perhaps more than any other, the writing skills and story telling prowess of our author @Wombat Bill. Dare I say, this chapter may well be his magnum opus. It has, if I am not mistaken, provoked more comment and discussion than any of the prior chapters, in any of the books he has published to date. 

I have said it before, and I apologise if I sound like a "broken record" @ReaderPaul, but I think you have hit the proverbial nail on the head with your second comment above. In all of the four books to date there has been drama (incestuous birth perhaps being the most controversial), but @Wombat Bill always maintains a strong sense of realism (no Fallon Carrington Colby being kidnapped by aliens in the Mojave Desert will ever be found in one of his works). He does not rely upon melodrama or sensationalism to get across his point. He has a skill, much like @chris191070, one which I can only yearn to possess, he says so much more by saying less.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, haines87 said:

@Wombat Bill Why did you have to end this chapter like that? YOU NEEDED A WARNING ABOUT THAT

Let me explain why I sound so mad I have a very hard time with anything to do with suicide. the reason is cause even though I have never tried to commit suicide I can honestly say that I have thought about committing suicide. It's been 3 years since the day that I thought of committing suicide. Two weeks prier I had lost my only sibling a older brother to a heart attack he was 32 years old. I had one whiskey and I was not in my right mind set and I really thought of doing it but I have never have gave up on things before so I wasn't gonna start now so I left and I found my dad and he took me home. the moral of the story is when you are depressed don't drink and either get help or talk to someone.

  • Sad 5
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Summerabbacat said:

My apologies @haines87for thinking your original comment was a light-hearted quip.

that's all right we make mistakes besides most of my comments have been light-hearted. So I can see how you would think it was light-hearted. If you want to know the answer is no I have not had a moment of thought of committing suicide since that day for a few reasons the main one is I don't drink when I am depressed. and I stay away from the hard stuff. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Dear readers, I am in multiple minds reading all these comments.

- Intrigued, by the varying views about the characters, their actions and their motivations for such actions.

- Elated, that my writing can illicit such strong feelings among my readers.

- Grateful, for the effort you put into your comments.

- Humbled, by your sharing of thoughts and feelings.

- Saddened, that the topic has caused discomfort to some.

I always strive to make my writing interesting, factual where needed, intriguing, challenging sometimes, dramatic, humourous, balanced and page turning. To achieve this there may be times when  confronting topics are dramatised. I try to avoid melodrama and, give all characters a mix of qualities. As in life, most people have some redeeming qualities.

In regard to the AA website - it was not specifically stated it was a gay website, but in chapter 31, Justin and Craig say the following-

“I hope Mum doesn’t see this”

“Unless prompted, I don’t think your mother would find a gay writer’s website”

Thanks for reading, contributing and being involved.

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Wombat Bill said:

Dear readers, I am in multiple minds reading all these comments.

- Intrigued, by the varying views about the characters, their actions and their motivations for such actions.

- Elated, that my writing can illicit such strong feelings among my readers.

- Grateful, for the effort you put into your comments.

- Humbled, by your sharing of thoughts and feelings.

- Saddened, that the topic has caused discomfort to some.

I always strive to make my writing interesting, factual where needed, intriguing, challenging sometimes, dramatic, humourous, balanced and page turning. To achieve this there may be times when  confronting topics are dramatised. I try to avoid melodrama and, give all characters a mix of qualities. As in life, most people have some redeeming qualities.

In regard to the AA website - it was not specifically stated it was a gay website, but in chapter 31, Justin and Craig say the following-

“I hope Mum doesn’t see this”

“Unless prompted, I don’t think your mother would find a gay writer’s website”

Thanks for reading, contributing and being involved.

 

If this chapter is indicative of your reader's sentiments, might I suggest you have surpassed what you endeavoured to achieve @Wombat Bill. Your statement that you "try to avoid melodrama and, give all characters a mix of qualities. As in life, most people have some redeeming qualities." is another key to your success. Most people as you have said have some redeeming qualities, even Adolf Hitler (he reportedly liked dogs, but was frightened of cats).

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..