Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,724 Words
  • 136 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes.

Young and Hungry - For Life - 43. My Mate Tristan

In a moment of idleness, Justin looked at his phone and realised he hadn’t changed the wallpaper picture for some time. He looked at the group photo with Edward in the background, in a photo bomber pose, and thought ‘that’s right, always where he isn’t wanted’.

His dislike of Edward had not softened, but Craig’s words started going around his mind.

‘I’m more concerned about your emotional health. I know you say you’re fine, but you are not’

This reminded him that his partner really cared about him and could he be right. Then he remembered ‘talk it out with someone, I don’t give a fuck who, just do it!’

Justin didn’t like being bullied but believed the words had come from love rather than anger.

He pulled up his phone number list and scrolled up and down. ‘Should I call Mum, no don’t want to bother her. Maybe...no not him, he’ll just lecture me. Then as the screen lost its scrolling momentum, the name of the perfect listener was there, centre screen.

He paused, thumb hovering over the name, then tapped the screen, which advised ‘other number ringing’. He moved the phone to his ear and soon heard “Hello Justin, so good to hear from you, how’s things?”

“Not too good, that’s why I’m calling, hope I’m not interrupting anything”

“No, I’m all alone just listening to music”

“What’s on your mind, you sound a bit down”

“I am and was wondering if I could come over and talk”

“Sure, when?”

“Would now be OK?”

“Sure, so long as you don’t mind me in trackies”

“I’ve seen you in less”

He laughed and added “That’s true. I remember those early days when you started dance lessons and used to come over for a smoothie afterwards. They were fun times, how come we don’t do that anymore?”

“Could we do it now?”

“How long will you take to get here?”

“About twenty minutes”

“Great, just enough time to duck down to the veggie stall, when I was on my run this morning, I noticed they’ve got fresh raspberries in today”

<>

“I’m going out Craig” he called but got no answer. Assuming he might have been down the back at Gran’s, he sent a text and left.

“That’s a good sign” Craig said to his grandmother “Justin’s going over to see Tristan”

“Is that the dancer chap?”

“Yes, they’ve been very good friends in the past, but not seen much of each other in recent times, except at social functions”

“Life moves on hey”

“I guess so Gran, but I’ve been trying to get Justin to talk to someone for weeks. He won’t let go of this Edward thing, but if he’s going to see Tristan, that sounds like he’s making a start”

“Why do you say that?”

“They used to have a weekly get-together when Justin was taking dance lessons for fitness. I’m pretty sure they talked about more than dancing, because he always came home happy”

“You don’t mean they were...you know?”

“No Gran, nothing like that. I mean Tristan seems to be a friend that Justin can talk to easily. He doesn’t open up to everyone, especially not me at times”

“So why didn’t you tell him to talk to Tristan earlier”

“Because if I suggested it, he would do just the opposite. He has to think it’s his idea”

“Smart move.... Come to think of it, your Gramps was a bit like that”

“Well no matter whose idea, I hope it works”

“It is sad when old friends fall out, but give him time and I’m sure he’ll come around. I have to say, this is the first time I’ve seen Justin so upset since that other incident”

“Exactly Gran, I think Edward’s writing has raised all that again for Justin and he does not know how to process it. Hopefully, talking through it might help”

“Does he not talk to his mother about his problems?”

“As a mum yourself, you should know the answer to that”

“I suppose you’re right, but some mothers and sons have a close connection and I would have thought that would be the case for Justin and Jessica, especially given how his father was”

“That’s just it Gran, this concerns his father and all the terrible things he did and how he died. I’m sure he didn’t want his mother to relive all that”

“So from that point of view, it makes sense she would be the last person he would talk to about it.”

***

Tristan returned home and pulled off his shirt, to cool down from his run back from the fruit stall. He also removed his track pants, leaving him wearing just his boxers. He threw all the ingredients into the blender, just as Justin knocked.

“Come in Justin”

They hugged for just a little longer than Tristan was expecting, but he let Justin set the pace as he knew it must be serious for Justin come around on such short notice. He suspected it was probably the Edward issue but was hoping that had not caused any problems between him and Craig. Rather than ask ‘what’s wrong’ he let Justin raise the matter in his own time.

“You’re just gonna love this new smoothie recipe I’ve got for raspberries”

“Sounds good, so where’s Snowy today?”

“At TAFE, this is his last week before summer break”

“Of course, he seems to be doing very well with his studies and Charlie is certainly impressed with him”

“Good to hear. Now give me a moment” Tristan then pressed high on the blender and all other sound was drowned out.

Whirring stopped, Tristan poured two long glasses of raspberry smoothie and handed one to Justin. “Come and sit on the sofa”

As they sat, opposite each other, Justin said “Just like the old days, us sitting here drinking, you wearing next to nothing and me fully clothed”

“It did seem to be like that, because you always arrived just as I was out of the shower. Somewhat different today, I’m still sweaty from running”

“You’re keeping in good shape”

“One of the side benefits of lockdown was plenty of time to work out. Some days there was not much else to do”

“Oh I don’t know that’s true, I’m sure you and Snowy did plenty of ‘working out’ together”

“Yep, that was another benefit. It would have been a lonely time if we had not been together”

“Sort of forced into being...what did you call it... a soloist?”

Tristan laughed and added “Yeah, that was me, but being half of a duo, I now know is much better”

“Good to hear”

Justin was then quiet for almost a minute and Tristan let him process his thoughts.

“Tris...I need...that is...I want to...if you’ll listen...fuck! I need to talk something through with you. There I finally got it out”

Tristan got up and moved to the sofa. He then held Justin’s hand and said “You know you can talk to me about anything and whatever it is, it goes no further than this room, if that’s what you want”

“I know and it’s always been easy to talk to you, more than anyone else I now”

“So chew my ear as much as you like”

Justin then jokingly, lightly bit Tristan’s ear and they both rolled around the sofa laughing.

“Relaxed now?” asked Tristan

“Yes, thanks”

“So what’s this about?”

Without hesitation, Justin said “I think I fucked up big time about Edward’s stupid book. I hate him for what he did and I’m glad I told him so, but I can’t back down and make friends with him”

“You don’t have to back down, you can maintain your stance on the matter, but stop the hating, it only hurts you on the inside”

“That’s what Craig said, but I’m certainly not ready to be his friend again”

“OK, that will probably take time, but what you need to do is think about yourself. Hating does not heal the hurt. While you put all this effort into hating Edward you’re putting no effort into healing the hurt you feel. Don’t you think you deserve that?”

“Yes , and I get that, but you know, sometimes I hate myself and that stops me from healing. I don’t like feeling like this”

“Is it because of your actions towards Edward?”

“Not really, I think it’s been there for a long time and this has brought it to the surface”

“Is it because of your childhood and what your father did to you? Did his actions make you hate yourself? You shouldn’t blame yourself for that, it’s not your fault you are gay, I thought you would know that”

“No...yes of course I know that. It doesn’t go back that far, it’s more recent I think”

After a pause Tristan said “Go on”

“It’s...Tris, I did something bad...well not bad really...maybe a bit naughty, but at the time it seemed alright, it seemed natural. I’m sure all brothers do it growing up. That’s what he said anyway, and I believed him it was good for us. But then there was the other thing he did and I felt guilty about that, even though I didn’t do it, but I knew about it, so I was complicit and then he goes and leaves me to deal with it on my own. I fuckin hate him for leaving me like that”

“Is this about Jared?”

“Yes, the bastard”

“You do know that hating the dead is even more fruitless than hating the living”

“Yes, I guess so, it’s just that I always wanted a brother, but never had one, then as you know we found each other and became very close very quickly”

“That’s natural”

“Yeah, but we became a bit too close”

“Can brothers be too close?”

“Have you got a brother?”

“No, only a sister”

“I won’t go there, that would definitely be wrong, but with brothers it seems different, not so bad. However brothers should probably not be so close they are in each other’s body”

“I take it you’re not talking about understanding each other’s thoughts”

“No Tris, I’m talking about...well you know”

“So you felt OK at the time but now it bothers you?”

“It was only after he died that I started to feel guilty about it. Don’t know why, but it just kept getting worse the more I thought about it. And I couldn’t talk to him about it when he’d gone. I think I hid it well, but I lost it when Edward did his thing. I can’t really see a connection between the two, but I now feel worse than ever before”

“Maybe you over reacted to the book because you were in a weakened state from your other bothers”

“That might be it, but how do I get out of this mess, I don’t want to hate anyone, but at the moment that seems to be the easiest thing to do”

“The guilt you feel about what you did with Jared should fade with time if you are otherwise happy with your life. As far as Edward is concerned, you can fix that. It is within your power to forgive. But if you can’t forgive just yet, you can stop hating Edward and yourself. I’m not an expert on the subject, by any means, and maybe you could seek professional help. So, I’m not sure how the two things work together, but I am sure that baby steps are the way to go. Fix one thing at a time”

“You mean forgive Edward?”

“Forgive or forget, whichever works for you”

“Thanks Tris, I feel better already”

“Can I ask you a very personal question, and tell me to butt out if you want, but I need to ask. Does Craig know about you and Jared?”

Justin thought for a moment, then gave Tristan an answer that was only partly true “No, that is I haven’t told him everything, maybe he suspects but hasn’t said anything”

“Then do you think that might be where the guilt and self-hate really comes from. Maybe it’s not so much what you did but that you have kept the secret from your partner”

Justin suddenly hugged Tristan, who asked “What’s that for mate?”

As he let go of Tristan, Justin said “You’re brilliant, it was fuckin staring me in the face all the time, why couldn’t I see it. I’ve been blaming anyone I could when it’s not them that is the problem, but me. I just thought of something. Craig said hate eats you up inside and you said much the same thing. Fuckin guilt does the same thing”

Tristan then hugged Justin, but he didn’t ask why, he just enjoyed the feeling.

As they parted, Justin said “Tris, for a bloke that earns his living with his feet, you sure have a good head on your shoulders”

“I didn’t do much, you just needed to talk it through and found the answer yourself”

“You’re a good mate”

“Then don’t leave it so long next time you have a problem. Come talk anytime”

“Thank you”

“You said there was something Jared did and you felt bad about it, even though you didn’t do it”

Again, Justin only told Tristan half the truth.

“When we were in the outback...Jared raped me”

“You mean he fucked you, when you weren’t keen on doing it?”

“No, it was worse than that, it was violent and he even tied me up”

“I can’t believe it, are you sure?”

“Tris, of course I’m fuckin’ sure he died me up and fucked me in the dessert dirt”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to doubt you. It’s just hard to believe he would do such a thing”

“Yep, I can see that from your position, but it really happened”

“I believe you, but you shouldn’t feel guilty about it. You must know it’s never the victim’s fault”

“Of course, but I don’t think it matters now. I can put it into perspective and maybe bury it. At the very least I don’t want to speak badly of Jared. It’s not good for me to do that. I want to think of the good things he did and the fun times we had together as pleasant memories”

“Now the leading question...are you going to talk to Craig about Jared?”

Justin thought for a while, then asked “Do you think I should?”

“It’s not for me to say, it’s your decision. You have to weigh up how it will affect your relationship, if you do and if you don’t. But I will ask you another question. Will the guilt go away if you don’t?”

“You bugger! You tell me what to do, by asking a question”

Tristan just shrugged his shoulders and Justin gave him a mock punch to the abs.

“Oh, want to resort to physical violence, do you?”

That started a wrestle on the sofa. They soon fell onto the floor and continued wrestling until Snowy opened the door and said “What have I stumbled into here?” As he pulled off his shirt and dropped his jeans he exclaimed “Bloody hot out there and the bus broke down at the top of George street, so I hoofed it the rest of the way”

Feeling he needed to explain, Tristan replied to Snowy “Justin came over for a catch up and words lead to push and shove”

“Well whatever the argument was it’s a dry one as far as I can see. Beer guys?”

<>

Snowy stood at the fridge, letting the cool air flow over his body. When Tristan noticed, he said “They won’t jump out of the fridge on their own”

“Oh very clever, I’m just trying to cool my balls a bit” he replied as he stretched forward the band of his boxers.

“Pity they’re not detachable, then you could pop ‘em in the freezer”

“I’ll make you pay for that remark”

“And how will you do that big boy”

As he said “Pleased you noticed” Snowy then walked towards Tristan, with three beers in hand, pulled the band of Tristan’s shorts, dropped in a bottle, then asked “Where would you like yours Justin?”

*****

Next chapter - Something tasty.
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 4
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A great chapter. It's great that Justin has finally decided to talk to Tristan about his problems. Hopefully this talk will help Justin realise that he needs to forgive and forget, also talk to Craig about Jared.

  • Like 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

I will air the "complaint" first @Wombat Bill, before the "praise the lord" moments. Bloody Tristan started the visit from Justin with “You’re just gonna love this new smoothie recipe I’ve got for raspberries”, but he did not disclose the recipe. I frequently make myself fresh or frozen raspberry smoothies and was looking forward to any new ideas Tristan might share. Greedy bastard.

Now for the "praise the lord" moments. Tristan is a good friend to Justin. “So chew my ear as much as you like” Justin then jokingly, lightly bit Tristan’s ear and they both rolled around the sofa laughing" had me laughing and shedding a tear at the same time (must be the bloody hormones). Their friendship appears to be one of those rare friendships where neither party expects anything from the other, where the friendship is seamlessly renewed even after an extended period of limited or no contact, and where the affection is genuine and freely given.

Justin's compliment “Tris, for a bloke that earns his living with his feet, you sure have a good head on your shoulders” offered us a glimpse of the "old Justin", the more innocent man before Jared "broadened his horizons". Justin is still in there, he just needs to find his way back. He acknowledged he did not want to hate anyone; he seemingly does not know how to undo what has already been done.

CWB groupies, we will have to wait patiently for our resident wombat to further develop this storyline, to a point where it is clear the friendship between Justin and Edward is either repaired or is beyond repair (I hope for the former, but fear the latter).

I loved this chapter @Wombat Bill. You reminded us that Justin is a good man, he has just lost his way (only temporarily I hope). I am happy (for now) to wait patiently for the outcome of the friendship. I am however, losing patience regarding the appearance of CWB's first known transgender character (unless you have tricked us and he or she has already appeared). I am particularly interested in the appearance of this character as I am curious to witness how the cast will react, but perhaps even moreso, to observe how you will write such a character. I have said it before, but I think you will write such a character with a minimum of fuss, which to me equates with respect and empathy.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Okay so I mentioned it before about whether or not Craig knew about Justin and Jared. @Wombat Bill referred me back to another book but I forgot to go re-read it but this chapter summed that up Craig may have an inkling about it but Justin never came fully clean about it. I was thinking that could be part of his issue guilt and hating especially yourself can go hand in hand. He needs to firstly open up to Craig and then come to terms with Jared’s rape of him. Then perhaps he will be in the right mind to deal with Edward.

Again I realize Ed made a mistake but there is no one alive that is perfect we all make mistakes. But there really is no reason for the way Justin over reacted to it except for the way Justin has been feeling about other things and he took it out on Edward. I mean look at the mistake Justin made and continued to make with Jared. We don’t know how Craig is gonna react to that but sure they may break up over it or they may work thru it however I don’t see such a big deal coming out of it as the Edward Justin thing.

Another thing Justin needs to realize is that Jared was a master mind manipulator and in the end he was a victim.

Q

Edited by quttzik
  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, quttzik said:

Okay so I mentioned it before about whether or not Craig knew about Justin and Jared. @Wombat Bill referred me back to another book but I forgot to go re-read it but this chapter summed that up Craig may have an inkling about it but Justin never came fully clean about it. I was thinking that could be part of his issue guilt and hating especially yourself can go hand in hand. He needs to firstly open up to Craig and then come to terms with Jared’s rape of him. Then perhaps he will be in the right mind to deal with Edward.

Another thing Justin needs to realize is that Jared was a master mind manipulator and in the end he was a victim.

When writing my comments above I recalled one of the CWB groupies speculating Justin's anger towards Edward may be partially due to guilt over his infidelity with Jared, but I could not remember if it was you @quttzik or @chris191070. It would appear you too have borrowed @ReaderPaul's crystal ball, or developed astute observational skills like @chris191070

I recall both Craig and Thomas being suspicious of what their respective partners were up to, firstly when said partners went to Cairns and secondly when they went to Alice Springs/Uluru. If I recall correctly, Jared and to a lesser extent Justin, went to great lengths in Cairns to appear to be "roughing it" in the Daintree Forest, but Craig's suspicions were raised even then. I recall Thomas was not fooled either.

I have to agree with you that Jared was a master manipulator. I have often wondered if he was as manipulative before he joined the SAS and his time spent therein perfected these "skills", or if he acquired these "skills" whilst working for the SAS. I think it more likely he was manipulative before joining the SAS. He was, I think, the most complex of all the characters @Wombat Bill has introduced us to in the journey through the CWB saga. 

Jared initially appeared to be a most wonderful partner for Thomas, kind, considerate, caring and loving (with just a little touch of kink). Soon however, he revealed a much darker and less appealing side of himself, which I suspect we only saw the surface of. I remember thinking at the time, although I don't think I articulated it, that his rape of Justin was almost surreal, as if he, Jared, was only there in body, but not in mind. We shall never know, unless @Wombat Bill has a few more literary surprises for us. He does have a habit of surprising us at times, keeping us on our toes if you will. 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

Good chapter, @Wombat Bill.

I wonder if Francesco and Caleb might eventually become friends?  Perhaps they and Lucas might all form a friendship.

This book has introduced a "new generation" of gay characters in Francesco, Caleb and perhaps Lucas (he has acknowledged he is gay, but it remains to be seen if he becomes a regular "cast member" or will be limited to "guest appearances"), and raised the profile of a previously introduced character in James. I suspect @ReaderPaul that our author is adding this new "young blood" in anticipation of a "spin off series" prominently featuring the "new generation" with occasional appearances by the current regular cast. Let us hope it is a little more successful thanThe Colbys which was a spin-off of Dynasty; I cannot imagine the pen of @Wombat Bill writing such a travesty (I loved Dynasty, but The Colbys was not so great). 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

@Wombat BillI loved the ending were Snowy put the ice cold beer into Tristan's shorts. Also as always another great chapter. @quttzikYes Jared was a master manipulator but you got to remember that Jared was also dealing with his own demons he had just began his treatment for PTSD. Not giving him an excuse but in server cases of PTSD it can mess with your personality.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

@haines87 Agreed but as @Summerabbacat mentioned in a comments

On 12/16/2021 at 8:58 AM, Summerabbacat said:

I have to agree with you that Jared was a master manipulator. I have often wondered if he was as manipulative before he joined the SAS and his time spent therein perfected these "skills", or if he acquired these "skills" whilst working for the SAS. I think it more likely he was manipulative before joining the SAS.

I too feel he had these skills before SAS and they in turn strengthened them.  Perhaps the PTSD also changed and intensified the way his personality came thru. It was also a factor in his cause of death I feel as when Justin left after the rape he found this other person to go off with and who knows what was in his mind if they would have survived. 

Edited by quttzik
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, quttzik said:

@haines87 Agreed but as @Summerabbacat mentioned in a comments

I too feel he had these skills before SAS and they in turn strengthened them.  Perhaps the PTSD also changed and intensified the way his personality came thru. It was also a factor in his cause of death I feel as when Justin left after the rape he found this other person to go off with and who knows what was in his mind if they would have survived. 

I don't think that Jared would have felt any different about what he did to Justin if he had survived the crash. But I do believe that Justin will feel better when he tells Craig the whole truth about him and Jared.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..