Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 3,081 Words
  • 97 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes.

Young and Hungry - For Life - 48. Crystalline Christmas Drinks

Previously -

“Sounds like I missed so much, not being around in those days. Do you think we could get Jonathan to throw a party like that sometime?” asked Dante

“And encourage Justin out of retirement” suggested Virginia excitedly.

“It’s a big ask” replied Thomas

“Thomas, I’ve not known you to shy away from a challenge before”

***

“But why can’t I go to the party?” asked Caleb

“Because it’s strictly an adults only party” replied Craig

“So who will be there?”

“Some friends of the owner and his ex-wife, who gave us a start in our catering business. As a special favour to them, I will be catering and Justin will be serving”

“Wait up, I think I know what’s going down here” Caleb suggested, then went to his room. When he returned with the Catering With Benefits brochure, opened at the page with Justin wearing only a G string, he asked “Is this the sort of catering and serving you’ll be doing?”

“Yes, but it’s a one off for now. Justin doesn’t do that anymore”

“All the more reason why I should be there to see this farewell performance”

“I think not. We’ll both be very busy and not have time to supervise you”

“I don’t need supervising, I’m not a baby”

“Maybe, but you do need to be kept away from the alcohol”

“Hmmf”

***

Jonathan invited all the residents of Crystalline, including Carol and Cook, who happily surrendered her kitchen to Craig for the night. He also invited Virginia and Desmond, but did not tell Virginia, Justin would be serving. He kept this as a surprise for her, just like the first time he appeared at her fiftieth birthday. Also on the guest list were Andy and Dean.

Lachlan was in charge of planning but relied heavily on Thomas’ experience at arranging such intimate parties.

The warm summer evening started with drinks, served around the pool by two of Justin’s protégées, clad only in gold boxers and sparkling sweat. They both had pierced nipples with silver Christmas trees, made by Andy.

“Young man, could you please get me a glass of champagne” asked Virginia.

“Oh it’s coming madam. The head waiter has been assigned to serve you”

“Thank you, I hope he won’t be long”

“He’s coming now madam”

Virginia turned towards the house to see, what looked like a Christmas elf approaching with an ice bucket. The waiter was wearing a comical elf costume complete with beard and hat that made him look more like a demented leprechaun. When he arrived, he placed a coupe glass on the table beside Virginia and poured.

“Your champagne madam” he mumbled in a cartoonish voice.

“Thank you”

As the waiter walked way, Virginia noticed the waiter’s pants had no back and displayed his bare buttocks.

“Stop right there” she ordered “I’d know that butt anywhere. Come back here young man”

As he returned, she put down her glass, stood up and said “What’s with all this costume hiding your body. This will never do. Come here”

Virginia started by removing the beard and hat, then said “I knew it was you” Then she started

ripping away the costume until the waiter was left wearing only a G string, studded with small diamonds.

“I knew it was you Justin, that’s better” she said “Whose dumb idea was this?” she asked

“I’m sorry Virginia, I thought it would add a festive touch to the occasion” said Lachlan

“Maybe, but this beautiful hunk of man needs no embellishment. I like him just as he is now. Thomas, you should know that”

“Yes, Mrs P, of course I should have known”

Then looking at Carol and Cook, asked “Isn’t he better this way ladies?”

“Yes madam” replied Cook “I much prefer a man au natural, as they say in novels”

“And what about you Carol, how do you like your men?”

“Perfectly straight”

“Yes of course but no need to be so graphic”

“No, I meant, not gay”

“Do you have trouble distinguishing between the two?”

“Around here it can be a bit confusing”

‘You must tell me more, but before that...” she then turned to Jonathan and asked “Didn’t you supervise these preparations?”

“Well, I left it to the experts who....” But Jonathan couldn’t keep a straight face any longer. When he started to laugh, Lachlan, Thomas and Dante joined him.

“What’s so funny?” Virginia asked

“The look on your face when you were served by our elf” Jonathan replied.

“It was our little surprise for you” Thomas added.

“OK, you got me, but thanks. It’s so good to see you working again Justin”

“And a pleasure to serve you again Mrs Pr...oh what do I call you now?”

“How about Virginia”

“Of course Virginia” Justin replied as he topped up her glass.

Virginia then turned to Carol and said “Carol, come walk with me”

“Yes, Mrs P, oops sorry Mrs....”

“Everyone listen” said Virginia “I’m no longer the lady of this house, so everybody, please call me Virginia” Then she put her arm around Carol and said. “Now tell me, how is your mother?”

As they walked away, Carol replied “She’s fine, thanks for asking”

“I really should catch up with her and Margaret. I’ve been so caught up with my new life and this damn pandemic thing, I’ve neglected my old friends”

“I’m sure Mum would be pleased to see you again”

“Now tell me, is there a man in your life?”

“Not now”

“So does that mean there was, what happened?”

“I thought I had something going, but it turned out he’s not so much into women. You know what I mean?”

“Oh you mean he bats for both sides”

“Yes, but seems to have opted for the opposite team”

“Oh, did he tell you that?”

“He didn’t need to tell me, I saw them together, in bed”

“That’s awful, anyone I know?”

“Yes, Dante and Thomas. Didn’t you know that?”

“Of course I know about them being together, I just didn’t know about Dante and you”

“Yes, it was disappointing. I put so much effort into attracting him and thought he was into me for a while. You know he didn’t even tell me it was over. He virtually pushed me out of his bed and invited Thomas to take my place”

“Well my girl, we must fix that. Don’t let it bother you, men can be fickle. Just learn from the experience and move on. You never know where you’ll find the man of your dreams. Sometimes he can be right under your nose”

“Or in the flat above the garage?”

“Now don’t be cheeky, but I know what you mean”

<>

When they returned to the party, Virginia approached Cook and asked “How are you Cook, things going well?” But before Cook could answer, Virginia added “Oh I’m sorry, I forgot, you and your husband are separated. I am so sorry to hear that, I really thought you were a wonderfully matched couple”

“So did I, but it seems he had eyes for younger chicken and cast aside the old boiler”

“You mean he left you for someone younger”

“Yes, your personal maid, you left behind when you left the house”

“Oh, I am sad to hear that. Jenny was always a wonderful maid and so honest. Who would have thought she would steal another woman’s husband”

“I’m not sure really, who did the stealing”

“So do you have anyone else in your life?” asked Virginia

“There was some fresh meat in the kitchen for a while, but that’s over now”

“Sorry to hear that, but you are being a bit mysterious. When you say for a while, was it a visiting tradesman or someone like that?”

“Tradesman yes, but not visiting... resident”

Virginia looked confused, so Cook added “A gardener”

“Oh was he before Dante?”

“No”

“Oh my god, he does spread it around doesn’t he? I wonder if Thomas knows about this”

“Oh he knows everything. We had to call our bet a tie”

“Do I want to know about this bet?”

“Probably not, Mrs Pr...Virginia”

“Good. Now tell me what else has been happening around here. Any other gossip I need to catch up on?”

“Not really and would I gossip, even if I knew?”

“Cook, this is Virginia you’re talking to. Anyway, tell me how it’s going with Jon and Lachlan, running the house. Are they good to you?”

“I have no complaints, but Thomas is in charge of the household budget and such”

“That’s a good choice. So what does Lachlan do besides entertain Jon?”

“He does a bit of gardening and spends a lot of time in the neighbour’s property”

“You mean visiting the neighbours?”

“So it seems”

“Interesting, I’ll have to find out more”

Virginia then signalled Justin for a top up and when he arrived she said “Can you sit and talk to me, it’s been so long since we’ve seen each other”

“I’m suppose to serve the lunch shortly”

“Till then, you’re all mine” Then looking at his diamond studded G string, said “Business must be good if you can afford to wear diamonds on your almost-wear” and patted it.

“Oh these are not mine. That is, the G string is mine but the diamonds are on loan from Prices. They go back tomorrow. This was just put together for you”

“Very thoughtful of you Justin”

“It was really Thomas’ idea and he arranged it all”

“Both my boys, always thinking about my interests. Where is he, I haven’t had a chance to catch up with him today”

“I’ll fetch him for you and then I must get back to serving”

“OK, but you and Craig must both come and chat with me when lunch is over”

<>

“Hi Virginia, sorry I’ve been so busy this morning. Lachlan and I were talking about a new project”

“It’s Lachlan that I want to talk about actually”

“Oh really?”

“I hear he spends a lot of time off the property”

“He goes shopping and to some business meetings lately. Is there a problem”

“These business meetings, do they take place on the neighbouring property?”

“Sometimes, why?”

“I’m curious as to why he spends so much time with the neighbour. He wouldn’t be involved with him, would he? Cutting another man’s grass as they say”

“Oh, now I see what you’re getting at. No, nothing like that. It’s a special project that I can’t talk about yet. Jonathan wants to make an announcement”

“Thomas...hello...it’s me, Virginia”

“Mmm, well I’ll tell you some of it, but don’t breathe a word to anyone else”

“Ok, go on”

“We’ve been looking at the neighbouring property because......

<>

When Jonathan saw Justin and his waiters coming down the path with platters of food he announced “Looks like lunch is here, let’s move into the Wisteria Pergola” then as Justin passed him, he continued “Just follow the cutest butt in the catering business”

<>

Desmond took Virginia’s hand to escort her to the pergola and on the way asked “Why all this interest in that kid’s arse? Everybody’s got one”

“Yes, but how many of them look like his. Probably nobody else here, except maybe Dante’s but I haven’t seen his bared”

“And neither will you”

“Of course Des, but I still think yours is cute” she said as she gave it a slap.

“Stop that, it’s embarrassing in public”

“Desmond, you old prude, this is hardly in public. It was your home for nearly twenty years and mine also”

“But we had different positions then and most of these people didn’t live here. I just don’t feel comfortable here anymore; the place has been taken over by poofs”

“Why should that surprise you, it was always owned by one”

As they reached the table, Lachlan pulled out a chair for Virginia. “Thank you kind sir” she said.

“All part of the service, my lady”

“Oh I think you’ve been watching too many reruns of Downton Abbey”

“Maybe, I’ve got the whole boxed set and the movie. I just love it, don’t you?”

“I’ve seen a few episodes, but was scared off by the Maggie Smith character”

As Lachlan sat opposite Virginia he asked “Why was that?”

“If I had stayed here any longer, I could see myself turning into The Dowager”

“You are such a character Virginia, yes I could just see you putting down anyone who displeased you with an acerbic one-liner”

“Is that the reputation I have around here?”

“No, not at all, the thought just struck me when you mentioned The Dowager”

“I’ll take that as a compliment for now and get back to you if I come to a different conclusion after further deliberation on the matter”

“Desmond, you’re such a lucky man, she must have you in stiches of laughter all the time”

“Me...oh yes...she surprises me all the time” He replied as he sat next to his wife, who then waved at Thomas and called “Come and sit next to me, we’ve a lot of catching up to do”

He took a bottle of champagne from a waiter as he went around the table to Virginia.

“Oh good man, always anticipating my needs”

Virginia put a few slices of ham, a couple of prawns and some green salad on her plate, then turned to Desmond and said “Pass me the tomatoes, will you”

“Anything you desire my dear. I should have anticipated your need for more fruits in your life”

Virginia ignored the comment and turned back to Thomas. “Now have you and Dante set a date to go to my place at Mallacoota?”

“We thought a few days after Christmas might be nice. We’re having Christmas with Dante’s family, so he thinks I’ll need some quiet time to recover from my first big fat Italian Christmas”

Virginia laughed and said, without turning to direct her question, “Did you hear that Des, Thomas is still so funny”

“Yes my dear, I hear everything”

<>

Towards the end of the main course, Jonathan said to the gathering “While I have you all gathered here I would like to make an announcement”

Virginia winked at Thomas and then suggested “You and Lachlan are getting married”

“No, been there done that. Once is enough”

“Well that puts me in my place” Virginia replied.

“Sorry Nia, but it does mean Lachlan and I will be taking our relationship one step further”

“One of you is pregnant?” suggested Andy.

“OK, that’s enough guessing. As this idea was Lachlan’s, then I shall let him make the announcement”

Virginia gave Thomas another knowing wink.

“Thanks Jonathan”. Lachlan then looked around the group, and the look of pure excitement on his face was just like a child with a secret he is bursting to tell.

“Jonathan, Thomas and I have been working on the plans for this project for five months now and we want you, our friends to be the first to know”

He then paused again, prompting Dean to suggest “Nobody will know if you don’t bloody well get on with it”

“OK. I’m getting there. Firstly I want to thank Jonathan for buying the neighbouring property to make this plan possible”

“A generous Christmas present” Virginia suggested.

“No, it’s purely a business venture. The property has assets that will compliment this property, such as a large manor house, stables, tennis court, spa and sauna, as well as staff accommodation. Combined with the facilities here, the two properties have excellent potential to be developed into an upmarket resort. As well as all those attractions, we have something no other resort has”

He paused for dramatic effect, and unwittingly gave Desmond the opportunity to say “A full complement of queers?”

Lachlan was on a roll and wasn’t going to let anyone distract him from his mission.

“Yes that, but more importantly, our proximity to Sydney. We are only a little over an hour’s drive from the city. This means guests can come for even a short stay and not spend most of their first day travelling”

<>

The rest of the dinner conversation was about the resort. There were many questions and suggestions as to a name and the various services that could be offered. Thomas and Lachlan made mental notes of some of the more interesting suggestions.

When the food service was over, Virginia insisted Craig and Justin join her and Desmond for an after lunch liqueur.

“Justin, would you be a dear and ask Dante what is the name if the Italian liqueur that starts with S and then ask one of your waiters if they can find some in Jon’s bar?”

While Justin was away, she said “I haven’t seen you since my wedding and didn’t get a chance to thank you for the wonderful catering”

“That’s fine you were very busy that night”

“Truth is, I hadn’t been so inebriated since....well let me think...Oh I know the night of Jon’s political demise” and she giggled.

“Anyway, it was an honour to be asked and be involved in your wedding”

“Enough about me, what’s happening on your life?”

“Really big news. Justin and I have fostered a teenager”

“How wonderful, so you’re parents” asked Desmond.

“Sort of like that. It’s a big responsibility, just like parenting, but he’s a wonderful boy”

“And?”

“And what?”

“His name”

“Oh, Caleb and Justin and my Gran.....

<>

Craig told them all about Caleb. When Justin finally returned with a bottle of yellow liqueur he asked

“Is this what you are thinking of?”

“Yes, that’s it Strega, it is absolute liquid gold. Now pour four glasses and I promise that’s the last waitery thing I’ll ask you to do today”

As they all sipped the smooth golden liquid, distilled from herbs, including saffron, Justin said “Wow, that is pure gold as it goes down”

Desmond turned up the side of his lip, to show his disinterest but Craig was more enthusiastic in his response.

Virginia then asked “So how about this announcement of Jon’s, are you two involved in it?”

“No, that’s the first we’ve heard’ replied Craig.

“Then I think you should be talking to them about getting your finger in the pie”

“Resorts aren’t really our thing”

“You surprise me Craig. An entrepreneur like you should be able to see the potential for food and drink” Then winking at Justin, added “And service”

*****

Next Chapter - Everyone is talking about Christmas
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 5
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter. Good to see everyone back together again. A great party had by all, with Virginia catching up on all the gossip.

The announcement about the resort wasn't really a big surprise, makes good business sense.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Ok so most of our speculation of this chapter was off lol. 
Caleb’s disappointment stemmed from not being able to attend the party. Not the cookie company or Lucas.

Jonathon’s announcement wasn’t a marriage proposal or a place for thrown away children but a posh resort. Which I do agree with Virgina Craig and Justin should be looking in to that as Justin mentioned in the last chapter he is bored of Poppy’s. I am wondering if perhaps the place will become more of a ay resort then a standard one but either way Justin’s way of serving would or could be welcoming.

Justin was the elf I think that’s the only prediction that I made that was right. 
 

Another great chapter it was good to see everyone in the Price’s circle together again. Demond seems to be a bit homophobic tho with some of the comments he made.

Q

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Virginia needs to pay more attention to Desmond, instead of making him feel like a service animal.  Even those who love each other can make the other feel very low down, sometimes without meaning to do so.  (Adapted from something a friend said recently.)

Some of what was not revealed in this chapter, @Wombat Bill, I look forward to seeing revealed in future chapters.  What did Caleb and Gran do while Justin and Craig were away?  What are the details about the upcoming resort?  

It sounds like Carol and Desmond both have some of the proverbial sour grapes in their proverbial mouths and stomach.

And the next chapter teaser -- how I look forward to that one, Wombat Bill!  This was a good chapter.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

Virginia needs to pay more attention to Desmond, instead of making him feel like a service animal.  Even those who love each other can make the other feel very low down, sometimes without meaning to do so.  (Adapted from something a friend said recently.)

Some of what was not revealed in this chapter, @Wombat Bill, I look forward to seeing revealed in future chapters.  What did Caleb and Gran do while Justin and Craig were away?  What are the details about the upcoming resort?  

It sounds like Carol and Desmond both have some of the proverbial sour grapes in their proverbial mouths and stomach.

And the next chapter teaser -- how I look forward to that one, Wombat Bill!  This was a good chapter.

@ReaderPaul it appears you can take the lady out of Crystalline, but you cannot take Crystalline out of the lady. I don't think Virginia is even aware she still treats Desmond, at times, like an employee. Is this worse or better than treating him as such with full knowledge she is doing so, I will leave this for others, like your good self, to ponder. 

I have been prepared to overlook Desmond's borderline homophobic comments in the past, but this time he, at first, appeared to be making comments he perhaps thought clever and amusing, but which some would perceive as homophobic. I certainly drew this conclusion, but then he confounded me with his apparent delight Justin and Craig are fostering Caleb. He is perhaps more complex than I have given him credit. 

I believe Gran and Caleb spent the evening preparing special C&G 'Christmas Edition' biscuits, adding alcohol (a choice of Tia Maria or Kahlua) to their traditional recipe. They also made a batch of special alcohol-laced fruit mince pies under the 'Wombat' label for select friends and customers of Poppy's. When questioned by Caleb as to the origin of the 'Wombat' label, Gran replied her favourite gin is Wild Wombat Gin, one she discovered as a younger girl with her friend, Lilac Le Circe, who coincidentally was dating a man whose nickname was Wombat.

Strega sounds interesting @Wombat Bill, but at $80.00 per bottle I don't think I will be making a purchase any time soon.

A very entertaining chapter @Wombat Bill, one which at last, I had no cause to shed any tears over. Mirth rather than melancholy was on the menu in this chapter.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

@Wombat BillThat was another great chapter.
was Desmond always a jerk towards gays in the other books. He seems like since he got married to Virginia, he has become, a jackass.
@SummerabbacatI am not surprised that Strega is 80 dollars a bottle since it has Saffron which if you're a cook/Chef will know that it's the most expensive spice in the world. for quality Saffron, it will set you back 3 thousand US dollars for 2 pounds. and the reason why it's so darn expensive is cause only one part of the Saffron flower is used to make the spice so it takes around 75 thousand Saffron flowers to make one pound of the spice.

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..