Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,459 Words
  • 89 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes.

Young and Hungry - For Life - 36. I Want a Real Family

“Now while we wait for Jack to call, you two need to tell me what this is all about. Who’s going to talk first?” asked Hannah

There was silence from both boys, so Hannah prompted James.

“OK Mum, Francesco doesn’t want to stay with the circus anymore, he wants to stay with me and I want him here also”

“Francesco, I need to hear from you, that this is entirely a personal decision, that you were not coerced by James or anyone else”

“What does she mean?” Francesco asked James.

“She means that you have to tell her you want to do this, and that I did not talk you into it”

“Yes, I want to stay here with James, he is my boyfriend” Then looking at James, asked “is that what I have to say?”

“James, I think you need to leave us to talk to Francesco alone. I sense that you have some influence over him”

“But...”

“No buts, just go to your room for a while. I’ll call you soon”

James went off dragging his feet and mumbling something unintelligible under his breath, but he was ignored by his mothers.

“Now Francesco, please tell me in your own words why you left the circus. Not just why you want to be here”

“Um...I used to be happy at the circus because that’s all I knew”

He paused, looked around the room nervously, while collecting his thoughts, then continued “But since meeting James and visiting you... that is, this family... I’m no longer happy at the circus”

He paused again, but only briefly, “I want a real family that loves me and treats me as person, not just a circus act”

“That’s a pretty comprehensive explanation. Thanks Francesco”

“I agree” replied Julia

Then Hannah continued “If we accept your reasoning and agree to let you stay with us, for now, we need to make sure Candy and Jack know and understand why you want this”

“You won’t make me go back will you?”

“Not if you don’t want to go back”

“Can Jack make me go back?”

“No, not without a court order and that’s unlikely”

“I don’t understand court order”

“I’ll explain for you, but before that, can you call James to come back?” she asked Julia

As Julia rose, James said “I’m here”

“Have you been listening all the time?”

“Yes and I think Francesco is right”

“Yes, there’s no disputing that, but when I ask you to go to your room, I don’t mean hang about in the hall eavesdropping”

“Sorry”

“However, the desired result was achieved. Now I’ll explain the legal situation here. Firstly, Jack and Candy are not your legal parents, they are only fosters carers so you are still a ward of the state and as such, Child Services have jurisdiction here. That means, if you don’t want to go back they can’t force you and Child Services are unlikely to order it, under the circumstances. They always consider what’s best for the child. Their main concerns will be that you are in a safe environment, cared for and have food and shelter”

Julia then asked “How long before you are eighteen?”

“Three months”

“Then that will also work to your advantage. There is no minimum age by law in this state as to when a minor can leave home. But the law is clear that parents are responsible for children until they reach eighteen, so there is a bit of wriggle room there, depending on the circumstances. But as you are a ward of the state for the next three months, it will be their decision”

“Is that good?” asked Francesco

“Yes, that is good, so long as you want to stay with us, we are willing to and capable of caring for you. We can make application to Child Services to have your foster arrangements changed”

“So I can stay?”

“Yes, but we’ll have to make it official with the department”

James then reassured Francesco “You can stay here and Mum will fix it all up legally, that’s her job”

Francesco then hugged James, looked over his shoulder and said “Thank you ladies and I promise not to be any trouble for you”

“Hannah” said Julia “We will need to look at Francesco’s employment status with the circus, but knowing what we already know, I don’t believe Francesco has any contractual arrangements that would prevent him from ceasing to perform there”

“I agree, but we’ll see what Jack has to say. He won’t be happy about losing a headline act without notice”

“Why hasn’t he called us back? Maybe I should check with Alex”

<>

Alex was busy unloading the truck when his phone rang and one look from Smudge meant, you don’t have time to answer phones, so he let it go to voicemail. Julia left a message and then texted as well. When Alex had a moment unobserved, he quickly checked the text and decided at the next opportunity, he would tell Jack.

The pace of unloading and erecting was frantic but at the same time running like clockwork. There was not a wasted moment, a misplaced tent peg or a moment of hesitation by any of the staff. Everybody, regardless of their position in the circus was on deck to help with the set up.

The truck driver who towed Francesco’s van parked it in an appropriate place, lowered the stabilisers then went into the van to ensure nothing had moved or been damaged during the tow. Satisfied all was well, he turned to leave, when noticed a note on the floor. He read it and was about to place it on the table, when he realised the importance of the message.

“Fucking hell, Jack’s not going to take this well”

As he stepped out of the van, a mate was passing by, so he stopped him and showed him the note.

“What do you think I should do?”

“You’ll have to give Jack the message”

“Easy for you to say, you know how he likes to shoot the messenger. Maybe I could just leave it in his van, for him or the missus to find”

“He may not go in there for hours, you know how he is on set up day. Has to have a finger in every pie”

Then noticing who was passing by, he said “Hey, he’s an opportunity....Ah Wanda, I wonder if you could do me a favour and give this note to Jack for me. I’ve got to park a few more vans”

“Sure, no problem”

He handed over the folded note and disappeared before Wanda could read it.

Normally Wanda would not read her father’s mail, but as this was not in an envelope and seemed to be from one of the staff, she took a look.

“Bloody hell” she said audibly and went looking for Alex.

She took him aside and as she handed the note over, she asked “Do you know anything about this?”

“The note, no...but...”

“Yes, what do you know?”

“My mum told me. That was the call I got in the car”

“Why didn’t you tell Dad then?”

“Because my mum told me not to and besides she asked to speak to Jack and he refused”

“I’ll have to tell him immediately, we have a performance tomorrow and Francesco needs to be back by then”

“As may be, but don’t tell him I knew before this. Just give him the note and let him take it from there. And while you do that, I call Mum and tell her not to say she told me before”

“Then you better give me your mum’s number, and I’ll give it to Dad so you don’t get involved”

When Alex looked at his phone he noticed a missed call from his mother as well as the text. He called her immediately. “Hi Mum, what’s up?”

“I’m waiting for Jack to call me so I can tell him about Francesco”

“I think that’s happening about now”

“Why, did you tell him?”

“No, but we found a note Francesco left in his van and Wanda is giving to Jack right now, so he’ll probably explode any moment”

“Oh, I wanted to tell him myself. Anyway, make sure you don’t get involved”

“That’s what I want to ask you, if Jack does call then don’t tell him I already knew”

“Of course not, but I need to assure him, Francesco is safe with us”

“I don’t think Francesco’s welfare is at the top of Jack’s list. It’s all about him missing performances, especially without any notice”

“You’re probably right”

“So what do we do now?”

“You do nothing, except give Jack my number and....”

“Already done that, Wanda’s giving him the number with the note”

“OK, then I’ll wait for Jack to call...I’ve got another call coming in, probably Jack, I’ll you back”

“Bye Mum”

As Julia switched calls she heard “Are you the woman who kidnapped my act?”

“I assume this is Jack calling?”

“You bet it is, and if you don’t get my act back before nightfall, there will be consequences”

“Well, Jack let me tell you a few facts. Firstly, do not threaten me, I don’t take it well. Secondly, I did not kidnap anyone. It is true that Francesco is with us, but he is only here of his own efforts, and I didn’t even know he left the circus until he showed up here”

“Regardless, you have to bring him back”

“I also must inform you that Francesco does not want to go back and neither you nor I can force him to do that”

“But he’s my son, he does what I tell him”

“You are only his foster carer, so he is a ward of the state and DOCS will have the final say about his return or otherwise”

“Regardless of that he has an obligation to be here and perform tomorrow”

“If you can send me a copy of his work contract, then I may be able to help you”

“You know, we don’t work that way, so don’t get all smart lawyer-like with me”

“Jack, I am telling you now, that Francesco will not be returning to the circus immediately and furthermore I will be contacting DOCS first thing in the morning to have them not only look in Francesco’s current wishes but also the way you have treated him over recent years”

“You will be sorry woman”

“I’ve already told you, I don’t take kindly to threats Jack, and be advised that I am turning on record at this very moment. Therefore anything you say from now will be recorded and presented to the police if I deem it necessary. Have I made myself clear and do you have any more to add?”

Jack did not answer and the line went dead.

***

Jack slammed down the phone and called for Wanda. “Where’s that boy of yours?”

“He’s probably working with Smudge, as he’s supposed to be”

“Not any longer he’s not. He’s fired as of this moment”

“Why, what has he done?”

“His mother is holding Francesco against his will and has the gall to threaten me with the police”

“But that note was written by Francesco, so it seems he left of his own choice”

“What do you know about this?”

“Sorry, but I read the note”

“Probably written by that kid who hangs around the animal tent. Alex’s brother isn’t he and a queer to boot.”

“I doubt that anyone other than Francesco wrote the note. He’s always been bad at spelling, take another look at the note”

“I can barely read it, but what does that prove?”

“Don’t forget both Francesco and I were home schooled together, of course I know his bad handwriting and spelling”

“Regardless he has to be back by show time tomorrow”

“Well that’s between you and Francesco and the family he’s with. BUT you can’t punish Alex for this. He has nothing to do with it and didn’t even know until I read the note and told him. If you fire Alex, I’ll never speak to you again and might even follow Francesco”

“Does this towner mean that much to you?”

“Of course I like him a lot, but it’s really about fairness and how you treat people when you don’t get our own way”

“How dare you speak to me like that. I’ll hire and fire people as I please”

“See that’s exactly what I mean”

“Are you telling me I can’t fire anyone in this circus?”

“Not without a good reason and Alex has not given you any reason to dismiss him. He’s only been with us for one day and as far as I can see, has done exactly as he was told. Check with Smudge, if you don’t believe me”

“OK, Alex can stay, for now, but we have to get Francesco back or we’ll be in breach of our advertising. He’s all over our posters and in the local newspaper ads, ‘Bendy Boy, the most flexible human in Australia’.”

“Dad, are you calm enough to listen to a suggestion from me, without yelling or jumping to conclusion?”

“Yes, what are you getting at?”

“If there was some way of getting Francesco back, for a short time only, until you can find a replacement act, would you agree not to punish Alex or Francesco, in any way, but let Francesco go as soon as he can be replaced?”

“But he can’t be replaced, he’s the best”

“I agree he’s very good and probably the best contortionist in Australia, but future audiences aren’t going to notice the difference once you work your showman magic with the advertising and whipping the audience into anticipation with your ringmaster hype”

“My girl, you’ve definitely inherited the circus gene. I’m proud of you. Get your mother in here and we’ll see what we can do about getting a replacement”

***

“No one was very hungry in the Haynes/Wilson household, due to the day’s upset, so Hannah made sandwiches and called everyone to the table for a talk, as much as to eat.

She opened a bottle of wine and when prompted by James allowed he and Francesco to have a half glass each. Francesco didn’t like the taste, so James volunteered to drink that as well.

When Julia’s phone rang, she looked at the caller ID and said to everyone, “It’s the number Jack called me from earlier, so I saved it under his name”

As Julia said “Hello, this is Julia Haynes” Hannah commented “I hope he’s not going to make more threats”

Julia listened to Jack, then replied “Yes Jack, so how can I help?”

*****

Next Chapter - Tea and Sympathy.
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I look forward to seeing how this is resolved.  What did Wanda suggest?  Enquiring minds want to know!

I foresee at least another chapter, probably two or three, before this is resolved.  

The teaser:  It could be relating to the situation with Francesco and Jack, or it could be relating to Craig and Romel or Craig and Edward, or even (though very unlikely) with Dante and Cook and/or Carol!   Or even -- Gran and Justin!  The teaser is incredibly open ended.

It will be interesting which possibilities you go with, @Wombat Bill.  There are several other possibilities I have not listed -- just some of the most likely.

I am sure that @chris191070 or @Summerabbacat or @quttzik or @haines87 or someone else will have some interesting commentary.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Jack revealed more of his traits in this chapter, none of which any reasonable person could consider attractive. I did not comment in a prior chapter when Davo, the roustabout, suddenly quit. If Jack's behaviour in this chapter is at all typical, it is a wonder he has any employees left to help run his sorry excuse for entertainment. His threat to fire Alex breaches any number of industrial laws, laws which Jack likely thinks his "business" above because it is a "family business". Well guess what arsehole, you have two formidable lesbians up against you now so best you shut the fuck up and play nice. Seemingly, Candy and Wanda, are the only staff who are able to get Jack to see sense.

I believe Hannah and Julia will support Francesco if he returns to the circus for a "farewell tour" (for his sake hopefully not one similar to the Elton John and Cher farewell tours, which seem to have been going on for most of this millennium). I believe between the two of them they will have Jack well and truly "stitched up" if he fucks with Francesco. I hope they also ask him to provide proof of Francesco's alleged trust fund, which Jack alleges he has paid Francesco's wages into. I will be very pleasantly surprised if such a trust fund exists, or if it does, that Jack has been paying Francesco's wages into it. 

It is time for Jack to face facts, circuses are a relic of yesteryear, and no longer find favour with the general public. To quote Justin (not verbatim) "best you just fuck off out of our life".

A superbly written and executed chapter @Wombat Bill. It satisfied this reader on so many levels. Francesco's heartfelt statements “But since meeting James and visiting you... that is, this family... I’m no longer happy at the circus” and “I want a real family that loves me and treats me as person, not just a circus act” moved me to tears. Again you have excelled, a few simple words provoking a storm of emotions. Brilliant.

Even better though, the imminent collapse of Jack's little world. It so satisfied the "vengeful bitch" in me, it could not have happened to someone more deserving. I am having a "Justin moment", although I don't wish death on Jack (yet).

As speculated by @ReaderPaul, the teaser for the next chapter could signify a multitude of events. It could well represent some redemption of Jack's character, but unlike @quttzik, I will not feel bad for lacerating Jack (I am nowhere near as reasonable, kind or forgiving as you @quttzik).

 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Jack isn't happy if he doesn't get his own way it seems.

Julia isn't gonna take any nonsense from Jack, she will go to the relevant authorities. 

All Jack is concerned about is his circus, he's not concerned about Francesco as a person, he sees him as a act, part of the business.

Francesco has made his mind up it seems, after experiencing the love of a family and freedom from being told what to do and when to do it.

I have a suspicion that Wanda has suggested that to get Francesco back temporarily that they allow James to be with him.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I’ve been late to the party the last 2 or 3 chapters, my mom has been in the hospital since Sunday mostly for observation due to having chest pain and pressure all test came back great and she was released yesterday it’s been not a good few weeks my sister just also recently got out of rehab after having a stroke she is also now doing fairly well. But I’ve just been worn out.

Jack is an arse and I regret my slight misjudgment of slight forgiveness of him, as far as I’m concerned I hope Francesco decides not to go back for the farewell shows and Jack gets all kinds of hell because of his advertising. However we probably know that’s not going to happen and it would mean the end of livelihoods for a bunch of people that don’t deserve it.

 As James is in school I don’t think it would be possible for him to travel with the circus even for a short time but I guess we shall see, I am thinking that maybe Wanda is thinking about a monetary incentive to get him to come back until a replacement can be found and since he s the headline act it would have to be a sizable amount. At least if I was Francesco that’s the only way I would go.

I wouldn’t want to be facing Hannah and Julia Jack is threatening them but they have a legal means to shut him down I am sure that there is all kinds of legalities that circus has broken as was stated in a prior chapter Jack preferred working with cash which means bookwork would be all skewed and all else it would take is for some of the other employees at that point is to talk. Could be a big lawsuit if that happened. And Julia and Hannah are just the people to spearhead something like that.

The teaser for the next chapter is very open ended @ReaderPaul had a few suggestions as to whom that could concern another possibility is perhaps Justin had a change of heart and it’s concerning Justin and Romel or Justin and Edward.

@Summerabbacat I do sometimes tend to look for the good or redeeming qualities in people but fool me once shame on you fool me again shame on me Jack fooled me once not again and I wholeheartedly agree he’s an arse.

We knew Francesco wasn’t being given love or any type of friendship in the circus we saw it every time James visited him there to paraphrase “we again ate in the circus food tent sat at a table by ourselves people passing would nod or say hi and move on.” And James always found Francesco alone training. No wonder when he met the family he started having doubts and wanted to leave and go where the love is.

Q

Edited by quttzik
  • Love 3
Link to comment

@Wombat Bill Great chapter as always.
Trust me Jack did not see comin sense he will find a way to tie Francesco up all the three months that he is a minor in the eye of the law. once the three months are over. Jack has no control over Francesco staying in the circius or not.  I also believe that Jack will not go for having James with Francesco

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..