Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 1,703 Words
  • 99 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes.

Young and Hungry - For Life - 50. Christmas Eve

Edward was due to have his catheter removed seven days after surgery, so he made an appointment with his GP for the 27th. He arranged for Romel to pick up some incontinence pads, just in case. His consultant had advised him there was a 10% chance of some degree of incontinence and that he should consult him if it lasted more than seven days after removal of the catheter and he would be referred for physiotherapy.

While reading through the aftercare brochure he was given on discharge from hospital, he was amused by the following sentence. ‘You should discuss when to resume sexual activity with your consultant.’ ^^

“I should be so lucky” Edward said to Juanito “He is quite a spunk”

“So this incontinence thing, how long is it likely to last?”

“No idea, I might not even have it. Won’t know until the catheter is removed and then it might only be temporary. Apparently physio can help in some cases, but sometimes it is a long term condition”

“So it’s a lottery”

“Yeah, but one I don’t want to win”

“Must be awful to have a dribbly dick, good luck”

“Thanks, now I want to talk about you”

“And Raj?”

“Yes. When he comes tomorrow, I want you to listen carefully and respectfully and remain calm. Can you do that?”

“Sure, I feel a bit more settled about it now. I’m not saying I’m happy about this decision of his or that I will accept it going forward, but I am prepared to listen and try to understand why he wants this”

Edward leaned forward to hug Juanito, but “Oh fuck that still hurts”

“Can I get you anything?”

“Year a glass of wine would be great”

“I meant something more pharmaceutical”

“No, it only hurts with sudden movement, but it is getting better each day, so I guess the resting is working”

“Good” concluded Juanito.

“Now, how about that wine”

“Just one glass”

When Juanito returned, he asked “Have you ever known a trans person before?”

“Of course. Most drag queens are happy being men in daily life. Drag is just their alter ego or a job, but I did meet a few that dressed as women all the time and a few who wanted to transition fully. Of course in those days they had to go overseas, to more enlightened European counties, for surgery. Now of course one can have the surgery here”

“Were any of them in relationships before they...changed?”

“Some were...” Edward paused because he didn’t want to finish the sentence.

“Go on, what happened to their relationship?”

“Sadly, I don’t remember any that survived a full transition. That’s not what you want to hear is it?”

“Actually, it is”

“What?”

“I don’t mean that the way it sounds. What I mean is, if I can’t deal with Raj’s change, then I’m not unusual. It means....well I can’t explain it...I guess what I’m trying to say is...it won’t be my fault. No I didn’t mean it’s anyone fault...it’s just how it will be”

“That’s alright, I understand what you’re saying”

“Thanks, I know I behaved badly at first, but a man doesn’t expect that sort of thing to come out of the blue, especially on the day we are supposed start living together. I was even thinking about us getting our own place soon. If it worked out, that’s what I wanted. Now...Edward, I’m scared about this. If this is really what Raj wants, then I shouldn’t try to stop him and I probably couldn’t anyway. But it’s not what I want and I don’t know how to deal with it. I fell in love with Raj the man, not....”

“I’m pleased you’re now able to talk to me about this. That’s a brilliant start. Now you need to talk to Raj about how you feel. But can I suggest you let Raj speak first tomorrow, then tell him how you feel”

“Yes, I promise I’ll do that”

“That’s all I ask”

“You know how you said none of the people you knew who transitioned, continue their relationship. Did any of them tell you why?”

“Not specifically, there were a lot of reasons. Some just couldn’t even talk to their partner about it. At least you’re past that point now. Some said, it wasn’t the same person on the inside or out. Then some felt they stilled loved their partner but couldn’t deal with the physical change”

“I think that’s what worries me the most”

“I get that, I truly do, but what is most important is that you don’t grow to hate each other. Even if you can’t stay together as lovers, you should agree to disagree and remain friends. Even support each other. Raj is not the only one who will need support. I and your friends know you will also, and we’re here. None of us is going to take sides, we’ll support both of you and your decisions equally”

As Juanito asked “Can I hug you?” Edward was sure he heard a falter in the voice and saw a tear forming as Juanito came closer.

“Yes, but only the upper bits and I’m not reaching out, not yet anyway”

***

Hannah noticed that Julia was very quiet on Christmas eve, and realised it was probably because, for the first time, she would not be having Christmas with her son. She had an idea that might cheer her up a bit, so she went to talk to James.

“Brilliant Mum, give me a few minutes to find something appropriate and I’ll be out”

He logged onto a music downloading site and soon found what he wanted, an instrumental version of ‘All I want for Christmas is You’. When the download was complete he checked if Francesco knew the words. He wasn’t sure so James then downloaded the written words onto his laptop and all was ready.

The family gathered around Hannah’s phone, James’ laptop and his phone. Then she called Alex.

Hi this is Alex, what a bummer that I’ve missed your call. I’m no doubt attending to something as vitally important as your call, so you know what to do to get my attention

The quartet of carollers then sang ‘All I want for Christmas is You’. At the end they chorused “Happy Christmas Alex” and hung up.

***

It was such a warm evening that Caleb suggested they all go walking to look at the Christmas lights in the neighbourhood. Poppy’s was closed, so all four were home and went strolling the streets. While they were out they heard carol singing and at first assumed they were getting closer to a house that had a group of singers. But when Justin turned around he saw a mini bus approaching and the singing getting louder.

“What a clever idea” said Gran.

Then as the bus passed they joined briefly with the carol singers, who were leaning out the windows of the bus.

When all was quiet, Gran said “I suppose that’s the modern equivalent of what our girl guides group used to do when I was young”

“Did you walk around the streets singing?” asked Caleb

“No, we had a truck and the scouts put a piano on the truck, then we all piled on and sang carols while the truck drove around town. It was so exciting and most people loved us”

“Most, you mean some didn’t”

“Oh, there was always the odd humbug who said we were disturbing the peace or interrupting their TV program”

“That’s not nice”

“You never told me that Gran” said Craig “But you wouldn’t get away with it these days, with all the driving regulations and safety rules. Did you ever have any accidents?”

“Well nearly, on the first year we did it. They didn’t bother to tie the piano to the truck, because pianos are so heavy anyway. But when we were going up Rainbow street, which you know is very steep, the piano started to roll on its wheels”

“What happened, did anyone get hurt?”

“Only Johnny Brent, one of the scouts. The piano wheel ran over his foot, so he couldn’t move and that slowed the piano. Let me tell you, when a truckload of girl guides scream, everyone takes notice. The truck stopped, we managed to stop the piano and someone ran out of a nearby house with some rope and tied the piano to the truck cabin”

“So was that the end of the carolling?”

“No way! We all had a good laugh, consoled Johnny with kisses, and he became the hero of the night. Then we carried on singing, all the way to the hospital. The patients and nurses thought we were great”

“So a happy ending after all?”

“Yes”

“Gran, you have such funny stories”

“Johnny didn’t think so at the time, but he did get a new nickname ‘Johnny nine toes’.”

“Did he lose a toe?” asked Caleb

“No, just the nail, but the name stuck”

***

When the finale was over, Alex checked all the animals were secured for the night, before returning to his van. His phone was blinking to indicate a missed call, but he was distracted by Wanda, who was already waiting for him.

“Hi, you got finished up early”

“I was keen to come over and show you my Christmas present from Mum”

“Where is it?”

“Just give me a minute” Then Wanda went into the bedroom and closed the folding door.

A minute later she called “You can come in now”

“Wow! is that what your mother gave you”

“Yes, but I think it’s as much for you as me”

“As may be, but I’ll bet your mother wasn’t thinking that when she bought it”

“Don’t be too sure. She did wink when she gave it to me and said, thought you might like your present early, so you can show it off”

“Well, should I thank her?”

“Maybe not, that might be too obvious. Us girls like to have some secrets”

“So do I get a present?”

“Yes, but you’ll have to unwrap me first”

 

Alex’s phone continued to blink all night.

*****

^^ An actual quote from the brochure given to the writer on discharge after surgery. Written by a professor of medicine.
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a colourful chapter @Wombat Bill, a riotous mix of humour and a little "seriousness". I had a few good laughs, none more so than "While they were out they heard carol singing and at first assumed they were ......". At first I thought you had forgotten to capitalise Carol (as in horny Carol from Crystalline), before realising Christmas carols (I have had a few of these "blonde moments" of late).

I also had a good laugh after misreading “Were any of them in relationships before they...changed?”“Some were...” Edward paused because he didn’t want to finish the sentence.“Go on, what happened to their relationship?”“Sadly, I don’t remember any that survived a full transition. That’s not what you want to hear is it?”. I thought when first reading this the transitionees (yes a made up word, but I think everyone will understand its meaning given the context) had all died, but then realised the only death was the death of the relationship. The laughter which ensued was more from relief the transitionees had not died, and my realisation I had somehow, again, overlooked a crucial part of the conversation (a bit like your skilfully constructed double-entendre discussions in recent chapters @Wombat Bill). 

Edward gave wise counsel to Juanito regarding his impending discussion with Raj. A glimmer of hope, which I did not think existed after Juanito's initial reaction to Raj's "news". Juanito has undergone a transition, or perhaps transformation would be a better word, of his own in the time he has been in the lives of Edward and Romel. His transformation has been written very well @Wombat Bill, a gradual change from the selfish narcissist to the mostly kind and thoughtful person he has become.

Gran once again regaled Caleb and the boys with an historical tidbit relevant to the time. 'Johny nine toes' had me in stitches. I doubt you could call someone that nowadays, it would likely be considered offensive and demeaning.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Another fantastic chapter, serious moments with plenty of humour. 

I'm lucky I didn't have any of Edward's problems or questions to be answered after my surgery.

Edward gave great advice to Junatio, who seems to have mellowed since Raj's initial announcement.

Gran was able to regal Caleb with another piece of fascinating information as they were out for a walk as a family.

It seems Alex is loving Circus life as he had forgotten all about his Mum and family at Christmas, as her message went unnoticed as Wanda was able to keep him occupied all night. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

It seems Alex is loving Circus life as he had forgotten all about his Mum and family at Christmas, as her message went unnoticed as Wanda was able to keep him occupied all night. 

Your dry wit again @chris191070. Alex is young, heterosexual and horny. Wanda is young, heterosexual and horny. I seriously doubt there would be anything Julia might say which would dissuade Alex from his seeking his nocturnal pleasures first and foremost. Julia will just have to "wait her turn".

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Serious yet humorous. It was a great chapter. Late again and the points were covered by others. 
I am a bit saddened that Alex didn’t check his VM but being a young teen as he is I can see the allure he was facing.

Edited by quttzik
  • Like 4
Link to comment

@Summerabbacat, as you know I like writing humourus  chapters and I know you like reading them. BUT PLEASE don't go looking for laughs where they are not meant to be. I now feel like the Professor of medicine, who can't even write a pamphlet about prostate surgery, without making the reader chuckle. Perhaps you have imbibed a bit too much Christmas cheer.

@chris191070, it's good the boy has a hobby. 

@quttzik, those bloody time zone differences, hey! 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Good chapter, @Wombat Bill 

@chris191070 -- Years ago, in the 1970s I had a friend who had prostate surgery, before they had developed the good techniques they have now.  His surgeon DID NOT tell him to refrain from sex for several weeks, as was the practice then, and his wife was horny and persuaded him to have sex a week after that major surgery.  It tore some tissues which had been cut, and he had to take another week from work, and then wait a minimum of two months before intercourse.

I must go to bed.  It is almost 4 a.m. here in the Midwestern United States..  I will read the next chapter tomorrow.  Family obligations have kept me from almost all my reading and commenting.

I am glad Juanito is listening to Edward, at least.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..