Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,880 Words
  • 122 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes.

Young and Hungry - For Life - 33. A Few Statements

Romel was in two minds. He now needed the support of his closest friend more than ever before, but that friend’s partner was now estranged from him through actions over which he had no more control. He knew he would have to go through this alone.

He steeled himself, got out of his car and walked into the police station, to give a statement, as requested by the attending officer the night before.

Please take a seat Mr Campos, I’ll tell detective Vincenti you are here, he shouldn’t be too long.

As Romel waited, he went over, in his mind, the events of the night before and wondered if there was anything he could have done differently. ‘God, what did I say last night, I’ll have to say the same today, or they’ll accuse me of lying and trying to cover up. Shit, I’ve seen so many of those trashy police shows Edward used to watch, I should know what to do. But is that reality, or just over dramatised fiction. Fuck, that goddamn awful word is now haunting me’.

He looked at his phone, selected phone book, scrolled down to Craig, and paused. While his thumb hovered over the call symbol, he heard “Mr Campos?” but ignored the request, while he thought for a moment. Then again “Mr Campos... detective Vincenti... are you ready?”

“Oh yes, coming” he replied as he slipped the phone into his pocket.

***

The interview with the police was not as bad as Romel had anticipated. He explained very carefully what had happened, the detective took notes and then told Romel he would type it while he waited and provide a printed a copy for Romel to read and sign.

“Have you anything to add or any questions before I type your statement?”

“No, I think I’ve told you everything, and thank you for being so caring and easy to talk to. Not at all what I expected”

“Yes, TV police drama has a lot to answer for when it comes to portraying the real force. We’re not really all, gun-toting, divorced, with a problem child, screwed up cops on a mission to arrest the first suspect and pin a crime on them, to get another notch on their gun handle. Most of us just want to get to the facts and prove to the largely law-abiding public, we’re on their side”

“That’s reassuring”

“While you wait, the desk sergeant can get you a coffee or tea. But frankly I’d go for the tea, I’ve tasted his coffee.

“I think I’ll risk that coffee, I’m not really a tea person”

<>

While waiting, Romel availed of the coffee offer.

“Here you are mate, milk and two sugars, right”

“Oh thanks officer. Good of you”

“Our motto is, to protect and serve.” He replied with an emphasis on the word, serve. Then he gave Romel a sympathetic smile, another gesture Romel was not expecting. The desk sergeant was so heavy handed with the sugar, that it disguised the real taste of his coffee and made it actually drinkable, in a sickly sweet sort of way.

Romel decided that he needed some comfort, so he rang Craig “Are you alone?”

“Sort of, Justin’s out the back with Caleb, why”

“I need to talk to you and I don’t want Justin to know...well what I mean is, I don’t want to cause any problem between you two”

“That’s fine, but if you’re calling to try to fix this rift, I think it’s too early for that”

“I know, it’s not that, but it is about Edward. I’m at the police station making a statement about last night”

“Fuck, what happened?”

Romel explained the events of the previous night to Craig, in minute detail. Having just gone over it again for the police, it was now all very clear in his mind.

“Oh my god Romel, are you OK, do you want me to come to you?”

“I’m coping, the police are very supportive and I don’t want you needing to go behind Justin’s back, because I don’t think he will be very supportive at present”

“OK, as long as you are coping”

“I feel a bit better, just having spoken to you. I knew you’d be supportive”

“Of course and don’t hesitate to call if you need me at any time”

“What about Justin?”

“I’ll deal with him, this is more important at the moment”

“Oh, they’re calling me, I’ll have to go now”

<>

Justin had listened to the last few minutes of the conversation, from the kitchen. When Craig ended his call, Justin asked “Who are you going to deal with?”

“What?”

“You said ‘I’ll deal with him’, who?”

“Just a figure of speech. That was Romel on the phone, about Edward”

“Did you tell him grovelling won’t work. I just don’t want to hear from either of them”

“Shut up and listen to me, it’s bad news”

“Everything about Edward is bad news, unless... has he topped himself?”

“What a positively evil thing to say”

“One can only hope”

“Stop that, and listen. Edward overdosed last night”

“Couldn’t happen to a more deserving person”

<>

Romel was recalled to the detective’s office, read his statement, signed it and was given a copy to keep. As he left, Vincenti said “Oh please give my best wishes to Mr Williamson, and tell him I’ll see him tomorrow for his statement, if his doctor gives me the green light”

“Will do, and by the way, the coffee’s not too bad”

“Good to know. Chao, and stay safe”

***

Romel went directly to the hospital and straight up to the Acute Care ward. When he noticed Edward’s bed empty he weakened at the knees and leaned against the door frame.

“Are you alright Sir?” asked a passing nurse.

“Oh...give me a minute please”

The nurse took him by the arm and led him to a chair. “Now sit while you recover and then tell me what’s wrong”

“Yes, yes...of course...I’m here to see my partner Edward”

“Is that Edward Williamson?”

“Yes, has he...?”

“I’m sorry, you’ve just missed him”

“Oh my god, I should have been here”

“No problem” she replied as Romel thought ‘how callous’

“He was transferred to a general ward, after his doctor saw him this morning. That’s a good sign. Just wait and I’ll check the ward number for you”

“Oh thank you, thank you. That’s such a relief. An empty bed where I last saw my partner was a bit of a shock”

“Oh, I see. Yes I can understand that. We really should put a sign on the bed in those cases. Something like ‘Gone to a better place’. Ooo no, that wouldn’t do. I’ll have to think about it more before I put up a recommendation”

“Mmm... the ward number?”

“Coming right up Sir”

<>

Romel felt in need of a strong, decent coffee, so stopped by the cafe for two coffees and also picked up a bunch of flowers in the gift shop.

As he walked into the ward he spotted Edward chatting to, or was that chatting up, a handsome young nurse.

“Oh here’s my partner” Edward said

“Then I’ll leave you two, see you in about an hour for vitals”

“Who was that?” asked Romel jealously

“Will, a good-looker isn’t he?”

“I’m more interested in his nursing qualifications”

“I’m sure he has those too” Edward smiled and continued “So you found me. It’s like musical beds around here. This is the third ward I’ve been in”

“I got quite a shock when I saw your empty bed in acute”

“Is that why you bought flowers?”

“I also bought you coffee”

“Playing it safe hey? Flowers if I was... and coffee it I wasn’t”

“Don’t be so flippant, this is a serious matter. Have they offered you counselling yet?”

“What for, stupidity?”

“Well it is a pretty stupid thing to do, but attempting to take your own life is more than just stupid”

“Who’s trying to...wait...you think this is attempted suicide?” then Edward started laughing.

“This is no laughing matter”

“It is, the way you explain it”

“So how do you explain it? And you’ll have to later in the day, a detective is coming to interview you”

“The cops! Just because I got drunk, in my own home?”

“It was more than drunkenness”

“Sure I got drunk, trying to forget my worries and what I had done to Justin. But the more I drank the worse I felt and I wanted to go to sleep, so I wasn’t going over it in my mind all the time. But that bloody vodka didn’t make me sleepy, so I thought a few Valiums might slow me down and help me sleep”

“You took more than few. You took a whole packet of tablets”

“No I didn’t”

“I found all the empty blister packs in the wash basin”

“Yeah, those little fuckers, do you know how hard it is to get the tablets out of those silver packets, especially when you’re drunk. Every time I popped one out, it dropped into the sink, spiralled round and round, then down the drain. Fucking stupid form of packaging. Whatever happened to pill bottles? I mean, I might have taken more than a few, but not a whole packet. What do you think I am, stupid? Oh yes you do.... Anyway, I wasn’t trying to remove myself from this world, well not permanently; just for a few hours, and it worked. But I would have preferred to have woken in my own bed, instead of this contraption. Just before you arrived I nearly did myself an injury fiddling with the remote control. I was trying to turn on the TV, but nearly folded myself in half”

Romel gave Edward a big hug and said “You super size clot, how dare you scare me like that”

“Oh, you do love me after all”

“Mmm, I’ll reserve judgement on that question”

“While you do that, how about the coffee”

“Oh, I forgot... here”

Edward tasted the coffee and said “So now you’re trying to kill me?”

“What?”

“It’s so bitter, tastes like poison”

As he fumbled in his pockets, Romel said “I’ve got sugar here somewhere”

“So what’s this cop coming for?”

“I had to give a statement this morning about what happened last night and I suppose they want your version of it also”

“What for, getting drunk and popping a few prescription pills in my own home”

“I guess they need to be sure, that’s all it was”

“Of course that’s bloody well all it was. Sure, I was pissed off with myself but not enough to let Justin’s bad attitude push me over the edge”

“Good, now drink up”

“When do you think they’ll let me out of this place?”

“Probably today or tomorrow, unless your doctor recommends a psych assessment”

“No way, I’m not doing that. Not talking to a shrink. That would drive me to drink, or worse”

“Well if you can convince the police maybe you can convince your doctor”

***

“Mr Edward Williamson?”

“Yes, and do you want my date of birth, the day of the week and the Prime Minister’s name?”

“Why would I need to know that?”

“That’s what every doctor and nurse asks me, every hour or so”

The visitor laughed and said “No, I’m not medical staff. I am detective Vincenti, here to take a statement from you”

“Oh I was expecting you. My partner says you’re not a bad bloke, for a cop”

“Thanks” Then as he opened his note book, said “Now on second thought I will need your date of birth for ID purposes”

“I knew it, but you won’t get me to utter his name, no matter what”

“Who?”

“The Prime Minister”

"I'm right with you there, Mr Williamson"

<>

After Edward gave his full name, address and date of birth, he asked “Why are we having this interview. Drinking in my own home and taking prescribed medicine, surely does not constitute a crime”

“Not in themselves, but the combination can have consequences, intended or not, so we need to be sure about how this happened”

“But even if I was doing what everyone seems to think I was doing, surely that is not a crime”

“Suicide has not been a crime in this state since the crimes act was amended in 1983”

“You mean it was once a crime”

“Yes”

“So how would you charge and try a successful suicide?”

“I don’t think that was done, but attempted suicide was prosecuted and still is in some countries, mostly in Asian and Middle Eastern countries. The western world mostly treats attempted suicide as a mental health issue, not a criminal matter. Anyway, that’s not the point of my visit. I just need to be sure there was no foul play, you acted entirely of your own volition and were not assisted in any way”

“Firstly, I was not attempting to take my own life and I did not take as many pills as was assumed. Most of them fell down the drain. And all I was trying to do was get to sleep after such a difficult day. As far as foul play, if you’re referring to my partner, hear this. He’s a registered practicing nurse and has Catholicism in his DNA”

“Rather than summarise, why don’t you tell me step by step what happened from the time you arrived home”

<>

At the conclusion of the interview, Vincenti thanked Edward for his co-operation and added “I’ll prepare your statement for you to sign, when you are released from hospital. I’ll also seek advice from the doctors and if they have no issues that will be the end of the matter from my point of view”

“Thanks, it’s been an interesting experience. And Romel was right, you’re not a bad bloke”

“I thank you for your honesty and the compliment. I’ll leave you now and wish you a speedy recovery”

***

Edward was released the following day and given a referral to a urologist, which puzzled him, until he showed the referral and accompanying blood test results to Romel.

“How come I go into hospital as a suspected suicide and come out with a referral to a urologist? Were they examining the wrong end?”

“It seems when your doctor ordered a full blood workup, someone at the lab thought it included a PSA test as well”

“Which means?”

“The test measures the amount of prostate-specific antigen in your blood. That’s a protein produced by tissue in the prostate. As you know the prostate enlarges in all men as you age, hence your need to urinate sometimes during the night. But if the enlargement is more than normal it could mean you have a growth in the prostate that could be cancerous or benign”

“You mean I’ve got cancer?”

“Not necessarily, but a reading above ten is suspicious and yours is 14. That is definitely of concern”

“Fuck, I don’t want to have to deal with this. I don’t have time to get on the testing and consulting merry-go-round”

“Is that your opinion of medical practitioners?”

“Entrepreneurial medicine, I call it. One referral leads to another and another and ever more invasive and expensive tests”

“Well it’s your life and your body if you want to live, or die, not knowing”

“So you think I should follow up this”

“Absolutely so”

“OK, if it stops you nagging me about it”

***

As soon as they arrived home, Romel called Craig to let him know Edward was home and reasonably well.

“What do you mean reasonably. Does he have some brain damage?”

“No more than usual for Edward. He’s been cleared of benzodiazepine damage. As it turned out he didn’t take as many tablets as I suspected”

“That’s a relief, so he’s going to be fine?”

“From that incident yes, but he has a PSA level of 14 and that’s a worry”

“I’ll say it is, so is he going to see a urologist?”

“Yes, but he took some convincing. You know how Edward is about his health, she’ll be right, is his motto”

“Give him my best wishes”

“Thank you, I think that will mean a lot to him”

“I mean it, but can’t say the same for Justin”

“That’s OK, I understand and I’m pretty sure Edward does also”

“OK, keep me updated on his consult”

“Sure”

<>

When Craig hung up and turned around, Justin was standing behind him. “Shit! You startled me, standing there so quietly. Listening to my phone calls again?”

“Yes, I heard my name mentioned, who was that?”

“Romel, if you must know. Edward’s home and has no ongoing issues from the drug and alcohol combination. Apparently he didn’t take as much as first thought. But he does have a very high PSA reading that is of concern”

“What’s PSA?”

<>

After Craig explained, Justin said “Oh well that’s his problem, I don’t need to know anymore”

“How long are you going to keep up this vendetta?”

“I don’t know what that word means, but if it means not caring about Edward, then the answer is a very long time”

*****

Next Chapter - What I’ve always wanted to do.
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Wow 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Okay now I am so over Justin he is being such a dick and a baby about the whole damn thing.  I can’t believe none of the others have come down on him for his childish behavior and over reaction. I’m sorry but no matter how mad you are at someone you don’t wish death on them. 
I am glad to see Edward still alive and not contemplating suicide I had to chuckle when Edward explained what happened don’t know how many pills I have lost down a drain when they come in those packets due to long term diabetes i have developed neuropathy in my hands and they are so not good with those types of med packets.

Edited by quttzik
  • Like 4
Link to comment

Well, I'm certainly glad Edward is alive.  I am also glad he wasn't trying to commit suicide.

Justin's attitude does not surprise me.  It is regrettable, but not surprising.  Edward did make a major error in his writing.

A PSA of 14?  The medical community where I live started watching mine closely when my PSA hit 6, let alone 10.  (Prostate cancer runs in my family; dad died from it.  He waited nine years between his last two DRE events (DRE = Digital Rectal Exam, if you are not familiar with the term).  Al because he did not like a finger up the butt.  By the time they found it, it had spread to his bones, blood, and back.  All they could do was try to help him be comfortable.

My prostate cancer was found early; I did not skip exams.  It was totally treatable with radiation, and I only had four side effects: tired very easily, had to pee more, my pubic hair acquired a reddish tinge  (red hair runs on BOTH side of my family), and the hair on my legs stropped growing until a couple of weeks after treatment ended.

Edward needs to pay attention to Romel and see a urologist as quickly as possible.  He will probably have to have a prostate biopsy (THAT was undignified, in my opinion, but necessary).  My biopsy became very painful because the doctor was delayed almost an hour before my biopsy started, and the anesthetic was wearing off by the time for the last five punches of the machine.  Romel MUST get Edward to the doctor as quickly as possible.

My initial impression of Detective Vincenti is very good.

Very good chapter, @Wombat Bill.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
Link to comment

A mixed bag this chapter @Wombat Bill. A very good mix of amusement, seriousness, and a little political and business ethics criticism (entrepreneurial medicine, a suitably scathing comment from Edward). 

There were some very amusing quips courtesy of Edward in his discussion with Detective Vincenti, particularly his refusal to utter the Prime Minister's name and his comment that Romel has "Catholicism in his DNA". I also found Edward's reference to his frustration with the valium packaging amusing; I have on more than one occasion made similar remarks (usually with a few additional expletives) regarding the packaging my blood pressure medication comes in.

Speaking of DNA, it appears Justin has more of his father's DNA in him than he would care to acknowledge, if he were to ever recognise it. He seems totally oblivious to the fact he has a most unpleasant nasty streak in him, as evidenced by his callous comment about Edward "topping himself". The comment was certainly made "off the cuff", but later comments only cemented his hostility to Edward. His behaviour is putting both Craig and Romel in a difficult situation. I also found his comment he did not want to "hear from either of them" very petty and childish. Romel has done nothing to Justin; Justin has however, "tarred Romel with the same brush" merely because he is Edward's partner.

Edward's PSA is cause for concern. He should not take this lightly. I think the highest mine has reached is 10.4, however, a biopsy indicated no cancer. 

Ultimately I chose the "fingers crossed" emoticon for two reasons @Wombat Bill. Firstly, I hope Edward's high PSA is not indicative of prostate cancer, and secondly, I hope that the friendships can be salvaged. Justin has given me a glimmer of hope with his statement "....... but if it means not caring about Edward, then the answer is a very long time”. He has not as yet, dismissed a reconciliation, or at least a truce, out of hand.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 4
Link to comment

I'm glad Edward is alive. 

Justin is behaving like a little child, who needs a good spanking for being naughty.

Quite honestly if Justin keeps this up, it could cause problems with Craig, which isn't good when they have just had Caleb.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, chris191070 said:

I'm glad Edward is alive. 

Justin is behaving like a little child, who needs a good spanking for being naughty.

Quite honestly if Justin keeps this up, it could cause problems with Craig, which isn't good when they have just had Caleb.

Your comment re. the spanking gave me a good laugh @chris191070. I hope your concerns re. problems with Craig, which would have a flow on affect to Caleb, prove to be without foundation.

  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

@Wombat Billfirst off let me thank you for clearing that up about Edward. 
Justin needs to take a lesson on how to forgive a friend for their mistakes. Did Edward make a mistake by writing the book and not asking Justin for permission yes did Edward say he was very sorry for his lapse of judgement yes and did Edward say he would remove the story from the website and the answer to all of those is YES so now its Justin turn to forgive like a grown up would do.  not pouting like a spoiled snot nose brat. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Romeo and Craig need to get Justin and Edward together, somewhere they can't escape from each other.

Then Edward and Justin need to talk/argue with each and see if they can solve there issues.

They are both in the wrong, Edward for writing the story and Craig for publicity humiliating Edward, trash comments online.

I think if they can talk like adults, instead of children, who have thrown there toys out of the playpen, they may be able to sort there differences.

There friendship may never be what it was, but the guys need to try for there respective partners as they are friends and work colleagues, when they are nursing.

Edited by chris191070
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

With your comment @haines87 it has just struck me that all we regular critics, without exception, concluded Edward had attempted suicide. A natural conclusion to draw given the circumstances which led to his excessive alcohol consumption and Romel's response upon finding Edward passed out, but it got me wondering how many other apparent suicide attempts, particularly those which are successful, are similar to Edward's scenario.

I was appalled to read suicide was still considered a crime until the amendment of the Crimes Act in 1983. WTF is that all about? Another law based on religious superstition and nonsense no doubt. It does not surprise me it is still considered thus in many Asian and Middle Eastern countries. 

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

I think if they can talk like adults, instead of children, who have thrown there toys out of the playpen, they may be able to sort there differences.

You have been "on a roll" with your comments for the last two chapters @chris191070. Your comments on this chapter have had me in stitches. First the comment about spanking a naughty Justin, and now the boys throwing their toys out of the playpen. The funniest thing though is, I suspect you have unwittingly been funny. Your dry English sense of humour is shining through.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

With your comment @haines87 it has just struck me that all we regular critics, without exception, concluded Edward had attempted suicide. A natural conclusion to draw given the circumstances which led to his excessive alcohol consumption and Romel's response upon finding Edward passed out, but it got me wondering how many other apparent suicide attempts, particularly those which are successful, are similar to Edward's scenario.

I was appalled to read suicide was still considered a crime until the amendment of the Crimes Act in 1983. WTF is that all about? Another law based on religious superstition and nonsense no doubt. It does not surprise me it is still considered thus in many Asian and Middle Eastern countries. 

I know of one for a fact Marilyn Monroe, she took pills and then called friends to get help but no one picked up so she died. and it's still a cardinal sin in the Catholic church cause God has the only power to give and to take life. So that's why it's still a cardinal sin in Church. 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, haines87 said:

I know of one for a fact Marilyn Monroe, she took pills and then called friends to get help but no one picked up so she died. and it's still a cardinal sin in the Catholic church cause God has the only power to give and to take life. So that's why it's still a cardinal sin in Church. 

The Catholic Church's judgment on what is a sin holds absolutely NO WEIGHT with this reader @haines87. Until such time as it properly acknowledges and properly apologises for the worldwide abuse of children by pedophile priests, offers restitution for the abuse, and divests itself of some of its enormous wealth to help the poor in countries where its nonsense has "poisoned" its parishioners and contributes to overpopulation e.g. the Phillipines, its edicts on morality are at best warped. Please note I have nothing against Catholics (unless they are fundamentalists), just the hierarchy of their church.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..