Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,522 Words
  • 109 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes.

Young and Hungry - For Life - 45. Edwards Christmas Party

The acceptance list for Edward’s drinks was small, so he decided to make it dinner as well as drinks.

When Edward rattled off the names to Romel, who was counting to ensure they could be accommodated for dinner, he replied “That’s thirteen, including us, an unlucky number”

“Because we have one single coming, but that’s not really a surprise”

“And it’s also too many to fit around the table”

“Then I’ll make it a buffet and people can sit around the room” replied Edward.

“How come you invited Rani and Daniel?”

“I really invited Daniel, and Rani will come with him, of course. I got to know him a bit better at the last drinks party at Dean’s. He’s an interesting guy, although Rani can be a bit prickly. I checked with Raj to make sure there’s no sibling problem between them. She was quite nasty to him, about his hair and choice of drink, that night”

“How do you know that?”

“I was listening to their conversation, albeit with my back to them”

“Eavesdropping that’s called”

“Whatever”

“Do they know it’s going to be dinner?”

“Yes, I sent an acknowledgment of their RSVPs and said it would be a dinner”

“So, you’ve only got eleven friends left now, it seems”

“Who’s counting?”

“Just saying”

***

Craig arrived early, so he could explain Justin’s absence.

“There’s no need to explain” said Edward “I know he’s still dealing with his disappointment in me”

“That may be part of it, but he really did need to work tonight. With me here and Charlie giving Snowy the night off also he has to fill in some of the gaps”

“Thanks for that. Now put your bottles in the ice tubs outside. I thought, with it being so warm and a long daylight saving evening, we could have drinks in the garden and then come in later for dinner”

<>

Craig found Romel in the garden, throwing tinsel, with gay abandon, on the bushes.

“Very Christmassy” he called out.

“Oh it’s just a token effort. Edward wanted the full scale Christmas lights extravaganza, but to be honest, I don’t have the energy for climbing ladders and such. When I told him to do it himself, strangely he suddenly lost interest”

“Are you well, why this sudden lack of energy?”

“Oh it’s more mental than physical energy, I lack. All the extra long shifts and stress of this year, and Edward’s problems, plus his upcoming surgery, are catching up with me. Also I can’t go home and recharge like I usually do. I’m really not in party mood. After tonight, I can relax a bit. Then Christmas day will be just Edward and me”

“We’re having a big Christmas day. My mum and Gran got together and decided to hand over the traditional family Christmas dinner to Justin and I, from now on. Sort of changing of the guard”

“Wow, that’s a big responsibility, and all that on top of your new fostering duties as well. How’s that going?”

“Really good. It has given Justin and I a new outlook on life. We always knew we’d never be parents, and that was fine. But this is a whole new deal and has been good for us. Caleb is a wonderful kid, we can’t fault him, his parents are missing out on so much. Then there’s my Gran, her and Caleb are almost inseparable at times”

“And how is Justin about all that?”

“Honestly...it’s hard to tell some days, whether he’s the responsible adult or a big kid. He just loves Caleb and they engage really well”

“You sound a bit surprised”

“I suppose I am, because Justin was originally not keen on the idea at all. I had to talk him around, but once he met Caleb and they found something in common, it was instant bonding”

“You mean because of his teenage years?”

“That may be part of it, but I was really referring to them working out together. But you’re probably right, while on the surface, working out is the outward shared interest, subconsciously I think it is their common coming out problem”

“I’m please to hear it’s all going so well” concluded Romel.

“Sounds like more guests are arriving. I can hear Tristan and Snowy” said Craig

Edward brought out the new arrivals and said “Let’s get this party started”

Snowy put their contribution in the ice tub while Tristan and Craig hugged. Both of them wanted to say something about Justin, but held back.

Tristan asked “Are we it, where’s Juanito and Raj tonight?”

“Oh, don’t you know. Raj is moving in here with Juanito. They’re out getting his stuff now”

“It’s about time those two made it official” commented Tristan.

“I agree, but I think the move has more to do with something between him and his parents. He’s already working some shifts at Poppy’s, so that probably didn’t go down well with his father. I think he expects total loyalty”

“So why is he not working at his parent’s restaurant?” asked Tristan.

“I’m not sure” answered Craig “But he was dropping hints for a few weeks and finally asked outright last week, so we put him on casual for now. I didn’t push him on why, I guess he’ll tell us when he’s ready. But it’s clear there’s a problem between him and his parents”

“Well I’m sure Juanito will be pleased”

“I’m sure he’ll be happy to have him here” replied Edward “But I don’t think he knows why he wants to get away from his parents”

“Maybe it’s just time to leave the nest” concluded Tristan.

***

Raj and Juanito packed his car with all his personal belongings and Raj said to Juanito “I’ll just go and say a final goodbye to Mum”

“Good idea, I’ll wait here, don’t think I could cope with weeping and wailing of a mother hen when her chick leaves the nest”

<>

“Raj please don’t go, can’t we talk about this some more and work out a compromise?”

“Talk to him, he’s the problem”

Raj’s father just sat in silence and didn’t even acknowledge what Raj said.

“We have spoken and Pita is adamant, you can’t do that in the restaurant. I might be able to bring him around to allowing it at home, but that’s all I could probably manage. Wouldn’t that be a suitable compromise?”

“NO! I am what I am on the inside all the time so I can’t be part-time on the outside. You have to understand that Mum”

“Oh just let him go Krisha, he’s no son of mine anymore”

“But he’s still our flesh and blood, you can’t just cast him out”

“This is all of his own making. I’m not casting him out, he has chosen to do that. If he lives under my roof, it’s under the rules of nature and this is not natural”

“That is just exactly where you are wrong” said Raj “This is my true nature, I wish you would accept that”

“Never! I should have known all this immoral gay stuff would eventually lead you down some stranger path of perversion”

Raj hugged his mother, said goodbye to her and returned to the car.

Noticing Raj has upset, Juanito asked “Are you alright?”

“Not really”

“Did your mother take your leaving, badly?”

“It’s...yes that’s it, my mother”

“OK, hop in and we’ll go join the party”

“I’m not really in a party mood”

“Fair enough, I didn’t think your mother would upset you so much. How about a drink and a quick bite to eat at a pub?”

“Yeah, that would be nice, just us two, and we can talk”

<>

Eventually the rest of the guests arrived. Brett and Jeremy, Rani and Daniel, then bringing up the rear, Max and Charles. Edward and not seen his good friends, Max and Charles, for almost a year and hugged each of them tightly and long, hoping to make up for some of the lost hugs. “It is so good to see you both again” Edward enthused.

“Same here” said Charles “And sorry for being so late luvvy, but Max insisted on making his special caviar canapés. It’s a secret recipe he invented to honour some friends of ours, Roger and Conrad”

“I don’t think I’ve met them” said Edward

“No, but Craig has, he knows about their reputation”

“Reputation? Tell me more”

“Oh it’s a long story, I’ll definitely need a drink before that”

“No sooner said than done” replied Edward

“Then you might like to try the canapés before you hear the story” added Craig

Max and Charles both laughed and Edward looked confused, then said “Now that almost everyone is here, I’ll offer your canapés around and then you absolutely MUST tell me about Roger and Conrad”

<>

Later in the evening, after all the canapés had been eaten, Max told the story and had the group in fits of laughter. ^^

When the laughter settled down, Edward announced “Now dear guests, if you haven’t entirely lost your appetite, please make your way inside for dinner”

“Are we having any more hundred year old eggs?” asked Brett.

“Definitely, any eggs are guaranteed fresh from the supermarket shelves”

<>

During dinner, Juanito and Raj came home. “Hi guys, have you eaten?” asked Edward “There’s plenty left”

“Yes, we ate on the way home. We won’t interrupt your dinner”

“No problem, grab a drink at least”

“I’ll just put my stuff in the bedroom” said Raj

Juanito poured a glass each for Raj and him and joined the party. After a while he asked “I wonder what’s taking Raj so long?”

“Oh leave him be, he’s settling in, stop being the nagging wife already, he’ll come when he’s ready” replied Edward

“Is that what I sound like?”

“You’re getting there”

“Ok, point taken”

It was a further twenty minutes before Raj appeared, but the party was not really sure if it was Raj.

‘What are you doing with my dress?” asked Juanito, but before Raj could answer, Edward said, “Wow you drag up well. I didn’t know you were a closet drag queen”

“Excuse me, but I’m not a drag queen”

“Sure looks like that” replied Juanito

“I’m a woman and dressing accordingly, although I admit your clothes are a bit over the top for everyday wear”

“Where is this coming from?”

“From my heart, my true inner self. It’s who I am”

“Oh really, tell me another one, Princess”

Raj looked hurt, but it was only Edward who noticed and understood. He said “Quiet Juanito! Raj, come and sit next to mother... Where’s the lady’s drink?” he demanded of Juanito.

Everyone at the table was shocked into silence by this revelation and let Edward take the lead. “Do you want to discuss this in private” he asked

“No, I’m among friends, I want you all to know. I feel safe here”

“Of course. Now take a good gulp of wine and let it all out”

Raj took a ladylike sip and continued “I’ve wrestled with this much of my life and even tried to suppress it. When I was younger I used to dress up in my mum’s saris, and dance around the room when no one was looking. It made me feel very good, but I didn’t know why. Then when Mum caught me one day, I told her I was just doing Bollywood dancing and she thought it was good that I was embracing my cultural heritage. She even asked me to do my dance for Dad and Rani”
“Yes, I remember that, you were actually quite good at it”

“But you thought it was funny and just laughed, but didn’t take me seriously”

“What were we to take seriously Raj?”

“Me, I knew it felt good and kept doing the dancing because it meant I could wear Mum’s clothes and they didn’t ask why. It was just my party trick to them.”

Raj took another sip of wine and looked at Juanito for support.

“Why didn’t you tell me this before?” Juanito asked

“Because of how I thought you would react”

“And you didn’t take it well” Edward added.

“I’m sorry about that, but you didn’t give me any warning” replied Juanito “We just spent an hour at the pub and not even a mention”

Craig then said “Raj, may I ask you a question?”

“Of course, what is it?”

“You said before you are a woman, so does that mean you want to dress as a woman all the time”

“When I can, but obviously I couldn’t do that at work or at home. My parents don’t understand. Dad made me stop dressing in the saris when I was twelve, he said that was enough of that nonsense, it was time I acted like a man. But he did not know how close to the truth he was, when he said, act like a man”

Rani opened her mouth to speak, but Daniel noticed, grabbed her hand and shook his head. Then he said “That’s so sad...well I mean, I feel sad for you having to pretend all those years”

“I think that’s why my dad didn’t say anything when he worked out I was gay. He must have thought that was better than me being a woman”

“Well you can jolly well dress any way you like around here” declared Edward

“Thank you and I hope I didn’t shock you all too much tonight. It’s just that when I saw you all here, my close friends, it gave me the confidence to come out to you all. I feel safe here”

“And so you should” replied Edward as he leaned over to give Raj a hug. “You’re very brave Raj”

“Not really, I could only do it in front of you”

“That’s the first step on your journey and I think I can speak for everyone here when I say, we’re here to support you all the way” Edward then looked at Rani and added “Aren’t we Rani?”

“It’s none of my business, if you want to encourage this nonsense”

“Please Rani” said Daniel “Everyone here supports Raj, the very least you could do is not criticise”

“Yes, of course” added Craig, before Rani could reply “Anything we can do to help, just ask Raj”

“Thank you all so much, it means a lot. And Craig there is something you can do. May I dress as a woman at Poppy’s?”

“Of course, you don’t even need to ask. Have a chat to Jennifer, she’ll tell you where to get the appropriate black and whites”

“Now if someone can organise the clearing of the dishes, I’ll get dessert” said Edward “You two going to join us?”

“Yes, I feel much better now and a little hungry” answered Raj

“For dessert or a new life?” asked Edward

“Both”

“Then you shall have both, if this dizzy old queen has anything to say about it”

While Edward was in the kitchen, Raj asked Romel and Craig for medical advice about making the change.

Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 5
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I knew Raj was hiding something in a previous chapter. I thought it was he was hiding being gay from his parents. 
it really is sad for someone that’s trapped in the wrong body to have to worry what their family is going to think well even for gays as well but I am assuming this worry is even greater. No one should have to do that with family it’s supposed to be unconditional love but we see it’s not so often. I’m glad Raj has his friends support and his mother doesn’t seem to overly upset just his father.

Was glad to see at least there was 11 people to turn up at Edwards party even Craig was there. I think I would have been a bit upset if he wasn’t.  
 

Q

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Well well well. I think this is the most beautifully written chapter you have ever graced us with @Wombat Bill. I feel as if I have been rewarded for a kind and/or good deed.

I shall try to remain calm and rational as I compile my comments, but the tears are flowing freely. Some of the cast I will try to refrain from waxing lyrical about, others it will be easy to comment upon with but a few words, starting with:

Rani - BITCH.

Daniel - a revelation. “That’s so sad...well I mean, I feel sad for you having to pretend all those years” demonstrated his desire to understand and empathise with Raj for what he is going through. A genuine heartfelt comment. He may well wish he was dating Raj instead of Rani. He can do much better than uptight little Miss Mumbai.

Romel - was being a little Miss Snit in his conversation with Edward "So, you’ve only got eleven friends left now, it seems”. I immediately thought of Rani.

Craig - never have I admired him so much for his calm and accepting demeanour "Of course, you don’t even need to ask. Have a chat to Jennifer, she’ll tell you where to get the appropriate black and whites”. For all his aloofness and lack of emotional warmth at times, he is underneath a true and supportive friend. He shone, almost as brightly as:

Edward - OMG the tears started with the expression of his fondness for Max and Charles, but they reached volcanic proportion with "Raj looked hurt, but it was only Edward who noticed and understood. He said “Quiet Juanito! Raj, come and sit next to mother... Where’s the lady’s drink?” he demanded of Juanito." The sensitivity with which you wrote this scene astonished me @Wombat Bill. I knew you were capable of doing it, but this exceeded all my expectations. I don't think even Armistead could have written it with any more empathy, beauty and authenticity. A truly wonderful achievement which you should be very, very, very proud of. 

 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 3
Link to comment

What worries me about Raj and Juanito's relationship is the last sentence of the chapter.  Will Juanito still feel as much love for Raj when she has a vagina?

I have a friend who went to Canada and became a woman.  She said that the hardest part of her transition was when her prostate gland was removed, as part of the process of making room for a vagina.  She also said of the 150 people at the facility where we both worked, only two of us treated her as the same person with different clothing and different hair style.  Even though she had a legal name change, one female insisted on calling her by her previous male first name.

I predict Edward, Romel, and Craig will have the easiest time of accepting Raj if she decides to have surgery to become female.   Of the friends, Rani will probably have the worst time of it.

I will be interested in the comments of @Summerabbacat, @chris191070,  and @haines87  on the idea of Raj transitioning fully to a woman. 

Good chapter, @Wombat Bill.

Edit: I see @Summerabbacat has already replied.  Well said!

Edited by ReaderPaul
  • Love 3
Link to comment
39 minutes ago, ReaderPaul said:

What worries me about Raj and Juanito's relationship is the last sentence of the chapter.  Will Juanito still feel love for Raj when she has a vagina?

I have a friend who went to Canada and became a woman.  She said that the hardest part of her transition was when her prostate gland was removed, as part of the process of making room for a vagina.  She also said of the 150 people at the facility where we both worked, only two of us treated her as the same person with different clothing and different hair style.  Even though she had a legal name change, one female insisted on calling her by her previous male first name.

I predict Edward, Romel, and Craig will have the easiest time of accepting Raj if she decides to have surgery to become female.   Of the friends, Rani will probably have the worst time of it.

I will be interested in the comments of @Summerabbacat, @chris191070,  and @haines87  on the idea of Raj transitioning fully to a woman. 

Good chapter, @Wombat Bill.

Raj may not fully transition @ReaderPaul, but if she does, I foreshadow trouble for the relationship, which one cannot really hold against Juanito in all fairness I don't think.

Your former transphobic female work colleague sounds a lot like the former Australian, now British (and they can keep the fucking cow) feminist Germaine Greer. She has made many horrible and insensitive comments about transgender women. She is an expert on everything. I once saw an interview where she railed against gay male pornography, stating that it was misogynistic as one of the men "always takes the woman's submissive role". She makes my blood boil. 

Edward and Craig have already demonstrated their acceptance. I am not so sure about Romel. Although he is a nurse, he is also a strong Catholic (did Edward refer to him previously as a "professional Catholic" or something similar?).

Rani is trash. Neither Raj nor Daniel need her in their lives. She can return to fucking Harris Park and stay there.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

What a beautiful chapter.

A sensitive topic handled beautifully, I had guessed Raj was hiding his truth self, little things he said.

I think Junaito will be the one that has the most trouble accepting, I don't think it will be an issue to anyone else.

Romel's comment was total Bitch, as Edwards partner, he should be helping him, not putting him down.

Otherwise a pleasant evening seemed to be had by everyone present.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

What a beautiful chapter.

A sensitive topic handled beautifully, I had guessed Raj was hiding his truth self, little things he said.

I think Junaito will be the one that has the most trouble accepting, I don't think it will be an issue to anyone else.

Romel's comment was total Bitch, as Edwards partner, he should be helping him, not putting him down.

Otherwise a pleasant evening seemed to be had by everyone present.

I doubt Rani will accept Raj as her sister instead of her brother @chris191070. She appears to me to be more her father's daughter than her mother's daughter.

It has been my observation that some of the most rabid opponents of transgender women are cisgender women. TERF's in the USA have worked closely with radical conservatives to make the lives of transgender women a misery emotionally, socially and legally. I often read the "gay press" online, and it saddens and sickens me the number of transgender women, especially transgender women of colour, who are murdered in the USA and South America especially, each year. I have no proof of this, but I suspect much of this anti-trans hysteria is rooted in religious beliefs. Of course, it does not help the plight of transgender women when you have "leaders" of the calibre of Donald Trump and Jair Bolsonaro.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Summerabbacat said:

I doubt Rani will accept Raj as her sister instead of her brother @chris191070. She appears to me to be more her father's daughter than her mother's daughter.

It has been my observation that some of the most rabid opponents of transgender women are cisgender women. TERF's in the USA have worked closely with radical conservatives to make the lives of transgender women a misery emotionally, socially and legally. I often read the "gay press" online, and it saddens and sickens me the number of transgender women, especially transgender women of colour, who are murdered in the USA and South America especially, each year. I have no proof of this, but I suspect much of this anti-trans hysteria is rooted in religious beliefs. 

I'd forgotten Rani was at the party, because she's not usually included in the core group of friends, but I totally agree she will never except it.

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Summerabbacat said:

I doubt Rani will accept Raj as her sister instead of her brother @chris191070. She appears to me to be more her father's daughter than her mother's daughter. It has been my observation that some of the most rabid opponents of transgender women have been cisgender women. TERF's in the USA have worked closely with radical conservatives to make the lives of transgender a misery emotionally, socially and legally. I often read gay press online, and it saddens and sickens me the number of transgender women, especially transgender women of colour, who are murdered in the USA and South America especially. I have no proof of this, but I suspect much of this anti-trans hysteria is rooted in religious beliefs. 

Unfortunately, @Summerabbacat and @chris191070, you are at least 95 percent correct.  Some of the most anti-gay and anti-trans persons I know are cisgender women.  Quite a few cisgender males, even some with strong religious belief, are much closer to acceptance of gay relations and transgender persons than cisgender females.  Even some women who are not religious at all are anti trans and/or anti-gay.  I wish it were not so.

I even know one -- male -- Baptist -- pastor who is anti gay, but for some reason is very accepting of transgender person.  I haven't got that figured out yet.

Edited by ReaderPaul
  • Wow 3
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, ReaderPaul said:

I even know one -- male -- Baptist -- pastor who is anti gay, but for some reason is very accepting of transgender person.  I haven't got that figured out yet.

That is incomprehensible @ReaderPaul. I guess many people have some beliefs, particularly moral or ethical beliefs, which seem totally out-of-character in comparison to their other beliefs. I read of an American politician recently, Jolene Unsoeld, who was a strong environmentalist, feminist and early supporter of gay rights. Nothing surprising there you may say (admirable I would say), but what she became best known for was her opposition to gun control. This struck me as a paradox of the highest order.

I must confess I only read about her because of her name; I thought it was a name which Dolly made up, but it was certainly around before 1974 as Ms Unsoeld was born in 1931.

  • Like 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment

Learned a new word today. I didn't even know there was word for a person whose gender identity is the same as their sex assigned at birth. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..