[Jack Scribe] DESERT FANTASIES

Silly boy. I didn't know there was a new chapter until I came to this thread! :P:)

I wish GA offered a subscription service so we can be informed when an author has posted something new. If there is something like there here please direct me to it. Thanks.

Right now MikeL is my subscription service to Jack's stories so I sort of have to come here first! :worship:

;) .......... :whistle: ........Alls good!! :P

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now MikeL is my subscription service to Jack's stories so I sort of have to come here first! :worship:

Moi? Subscription service? I've been called lots of things but this is a first.

There is an announcement service at https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/Hosted-Au...-Annou-f53.html. I've never used it but it might be worth investigating.

Happy reading!

:off: Hey! Just noticed that this is my 300th post. Not bad for quiet, unassuming little ole me.

Edited by MikeL

Benji, I owe you a huge apology.

I wasn't aware there was a subscription service for new stories, and that I should have stayed away from this thread until after I had read the latest chapter. I hope you'll accept my apology for chastising you without a good reason for doing so.

Both Tim and Steve made me aware of the subscription service and I intend to sign up ASAP.

:wub:

Benji, I owe you a huge apology.

I wasn't aware there was a subscription service for new stories, and that I should have stayed away from this thread until after I had read the latest chapter. I hope you'll accept my apology for chastising you without a good reason for doing so.

Both Tim and Steve made me aware of the subscription service and I intend to sign up ASAP.

:wub:

B) ......You owe me no apology!! As I said earlier "all's good" ;)

• Site Moderator

While reading the part about Brunch the next day, a thought came to mind that the Professor was Cray's dad, but that got blown out of the water totally.

You can subscribe to the Hosted Authors Story Announcement forum by clicking on the Forums Options button and clicking on Subscribe to this Forum. The only drawback is, you'll receive notification whenever anyone posts an announcement.

Great chapter Jack.

Jan

I am so confused. As if that's not the norm for me. Perhaps it's because I'm reading so many stories at the same time. Or maybe it's the lack of sleep.

I don't remember Jack being Cray's real father. I knew Cray had an abusive step-father but nothing else. The background on what happened was helpful, but left me even more confused.

How is it that Jack knows Cray is in Las Vegas? And why hasn't he made contact with Cray already?

I'll admit to it being a long, stressful day. Much like yesterday. I know I need sleep and I'm headed for bed.

Maybe someone will bring me up to speed so tomorrow won't be so confusing.

Thanks.

Wow Jack. :worship:

Always an amazing story with a great ending and openings on the horizon. I can't wait for part 3. I know we are in for some SERIOUS roller coaster ups and downs with the prelude you ended with. Get Part 3 out soon.

Sorry about this but, your title for part 3 just made me think of something funny:

"Like the sands through the hour glass, these are the days of our Las Vegas lives" :wub:

I never did put two and two together when I started reading this that It Stays in Vegas was part one, I'm glad I went back and re-read it.

I am so confused. As if that's not the norm for me. Perhaps it's because I'm reading so many stories at the same time. Or maybe it's the lack of sleep.

I don't remember Jack being Cray's real father. I knew Cray had an abusive step-father but nothing else. The background on what happened was helpful, but left me even more confused.

How is it that Jack knows Cray is in Las Vegas? And why hasn't he made contact with Cray already?

I'll admit to it being a long, stressful day. Much like yesterday. I know I need sleep and I'm headed for bed.

Thanks.

I don't think they mentioned Jack before that. I could be mistaken, though.

Thanks.

Gary, I just went back and re-read the first part of chapter one. It's not mentioned Jack as being Cray's dad by name, just that his real father 'abandoned' them. Now we know the truth and I for one am so look forward to whats going to happen. Jack doesn't know Cray is there just a lucky happenstance that he's being transfered. Who knows, maybe his great skills will come on the radar of Bob and Drew to lure him to the Barcelona.

Edited by Puppster

I don't think Jack knows that Cray is in Vegas. He thinks he is still in Provo with his mother and stepfather. He basically signed away his rights to have any contact with Cray. Cray thinks his father deserted them. They will no doubt have a difficult reunion.

I don't think Jack knows that Cray is in Vegas. He thinks he is still in Provo with his mother and stepfather. He basically signed away his rights to have any contact with Cray. Cray thinks his father deserted them. They will no doubt have a difficult reunion.

I wonder how long we will have to wait. :P

Wow Jack. :worship:

Always an amazing story with a great ending and openings on the horizon. I can't wait for part 3. I know we are in for some SERIOUS roller coaster ups and downs with the prelude you ended with. Get Part 3 out soon.

I think Jack is also planning another book in the "Splash" series. Don't know if it will be before or after Shifting Sands. I do know that I look forward to both.

That was a great ending, Jack! I'd been wondering what happened to Cray's real father. Now, it looks like they will meet!

And yes, I do hereby declare a CLIFFHANGER! :2thumbs:

Seriously, thank you for this story, it's been one hell of a ride!

That was a great ending, Jack! I'd been wondering what happened to Cray's real father. Now, it looks like they will meet!

And yes, I do hereby declare a CLIFFHANGER! :2thumbs:

Seriously, thank you for this story, it's been one hell of a ride!

I was the first to declare the cliffhanger on this one. Wow, we already have a nominee for 2008. :worship:

• Site Administrator

Jack,

Absolutely loved this installment :worship: .

When I first read It Stays In Vegas, I was hoping to get more of Drew and Bob in the future. You didn't disappoint when you came out with Desert Fantasies. Funny thing is, as much as I wanted more of Drew and Bob, I now want more of them, Cray and Michael, Spike and Leo, and Mario :D . Your new characters have added so much more to the original story.

I think the thing I particularly like about Desert Fantasies was seeing Cray going from a scared, doubtful kid to a stable, responsible one. The ones that helped him get there, Mario, Spike, Drew and Bob, and the assortment of other characters were a bonus.

I too for some reason thought that Cray's real Dad's name was Jack from earlier on. I'm not sure if it was back when I was wondering if Ben (the guy who beat up Brad and Mario exacted revenge) or his friend Jack, that I thought what if one of them was the real Mr.Gamble? I went back and sure enough, I couldn't find any real reference to his dad's name other than the name stenciled on the army duffel bag that Cray took when fleeing Provo.

Now as far as any accusations of this being a cliffhanger, I have been accused of suffering from CDSS, so I want to show that I do not see cliffhangers everywhere :P . If anything, this final chapter was kind of like a "coming soon" announcement. Nobody was in dire straits, nothing could change the outcome of the lives of our main characters. All I think is that you gave us a brief glimpse in to what is in store.

Add my vote though on continuing the posting of the next installment.

Thanks for the story Jack :D .

Steve B)

Jack,

...I think the thing I particularly like about Desert Fantasies was seeing Cray going from a scared, doubtful kid to a stable, responsible one. The ones that helped him get there, Mario, Spike, Drew and Bob, and the assortment of other characters were a bonus.

...I couldn't find any real reference to his dad's name other than the name stenciled on the army duffel bag that Cray took when fleeing Provo.

...this final chapter was kind of like a "coming soon" announcement. Nobody was in dire straits, nothing could change the outcome of the lives of our main characters. All I think is that you gave us a brief glimpse in to what is in store.

Thanks, guys, for your support and comments. You're right, Steve; the dad was only mentioned at the beginning when Cray packs for his hasty departure. I should slap my hand, however, for giving a minor character in the middle of the story the name of Jack. For the Nifty edition I'll change the name of the guy who's the friend of the leather bad guy. Perhaps Quentin? Hows that for a B/S dude? 0:) I see how it can be confusing when I introduced the Jack Gamble character at the end of the story.

Shifting Sands (I liked the play on words from the old soap intro that was pointed out) will bring most of the characters together, one way or another. However, I can assure you that it will take time as several things are going to happen in the new story line. And Las Vegas is a community that is approaching two million citizens with 17 million visiting each year.

As MikeL pointed out, the next story coming will be the third volume of the Splash series. I'm not sure when Splash on the Web be ready to roll out...but not for a while. The original characters will be support players. This story that will be a thriller of sorts. :ph34r:

I do know that Cray will be a year older when we re-visit all the guys in Vegas. A couple years ago I took the advice of a terrific author, Tim Mead, and now finish the story before it is posted. In addition to having the luxury to go back and modify points in earlier chapters to mesh with the final product, this process gives me the opportunity to do a final edit before posting. Not seeing a chapter for three months is almost reading it with a "fresh pair of eyes".

I do think of this ultimate cliffhanger - ending the story with Jack Gamble - as a "coming soon announcement" (at some point). Stay tuned.

Jack B)

Thanks, guys, for your support and comments. You're right, Steve; the dad was only mentioned at the beginning when Cray packs for his hasty departure. I should slap my hand, however, for giving a minor character in the middle of the story the name of Jack. For the Nifty edition I'll change the name of the guy who's the friend of the leather bad guy. Perhaps Quentin? Hows that for a B/S dude? 0:) I see how it can be confusing when I introduced the Jack Gamble character at the end of the story.

Shifting Sands (I liked the play on words from the old soap intro that was pointed out) will bring most of the characters together, one way or another. However, I can assure you that it will take time as several things are going to happen in the new story line. And Las Vegas is a community that is approaching two million citizens with 17 million visiting each year.

As MikeL pointed out, the next story coming will be the third volume of the Splash series. I'm not sure when Splash on the Web be ready to roll out...but not for a while. The original characters will be support players. This story that will be a thriller of sorts. :ph34r:

I do know that Cray will be a year older when we re-visit all the guys in Vegas. A couple years ago I took the advice of a terrific author, Tim Mead, and now finish the story before it is posted. In addition to having the luxury to go back and modify points in earlier chapters to mesh with the final product, this process gives me the opportunity to do a final edit before posting. Not seeing a chapter for three months is almost reading it with a "fresh pair of eyes".

I do think of this ultimate cliffhanger - ending the story with Jack Gamble - as a "coming soon announcement" (at some point). Stay tuned.

Jack B)

Jack, thanks for the update on your plans. I hope that you will keep your fans up-to-date especially if your next release is "not for a while" (months? :,( ). We are enjoying all your stories and will try to be patient.

Edited by MikeL

Good, well-written stories are almost always better waiting for than hastily written, sub-par stories. You're a fantastic example of a great writer Jack. So take all the time you need to give us the kind of quality product we're used to seeing from you. I won't deny anxiously awaiting everything you so thoughtfully give us to read. But I do try to keep my first sentence in mind.

Jack B)

I will have to check out that series and get caught up with it. As for the advice, I may have to institute the same idea in the future. Thanks for the good advice, even if it was unintentional. B)

I will have to check out that series and get caught up with it.

Splash in the Pool was my first story - appearing on Nifty - three years ago. It holds up but I've grown as an author. It was written in first person and initially released without an editor. I didn't know any better. A seasoned author contacted me and tactfully suggested I needed help clean up the story of typos and grammatical errors. At the same time, Brad from Denver offered his assistance. :worship: He was very patient and edited the first 12 chapters in the summer of 2005. I changed the format to HTML and re-posted each chapter on Nifty.

I thought there had to be a hawt scene in every chapter. :blink: But at some point I got a little tired of trying to figure out how to creatively describe 'it' (all of the 'its'. 0:) I now have more fun developing an intimate scene and allowing the reader to complete it...in his imagination, that is. :funny:

The second volume, Splash on the Screen, was the last story written in first person (Other Avenues was developed between the two Splash volumes). U.K. author, Drew Hunt, encouraged me to change to third person limited style in 2006. I'm most comfortable telling stories in this style.

Jan is certainly correct in his assessment of the ending. My goal was to allow the reader a peak at the direction of the next Vegas volume.

Jack B)

Splash in the Pool was my first story - appearing on Nifty - three years ago. It holds up but I've grown as an author. It was written in first person and initially released without an editor. I didn't know any better. A seasoned author contacted me and tactfully suggested I needed help clean up the story of typos and grammatical errors. At the same time, Brad from Denver offered his assistance. :worship: He was very patient and edited the first 12 chapters in the summer of 2005. I changed the format to HTML and re-posted each chapter on Nifty.

I thought there had to be a hawt scene in every chapter. :blink: But at some point I got a little tired of trying to figure out how to creatively describe 'it' (all of the 'its'. 0:) I now have more fun developing an intimate scene and allowing the reader to complete it...in his imagination, that is. :funny:

The second volume, Splash on the Screen, was the last story written in first person (Other Avenues was developed between the two Splash volumes). U.K. author, Drew Hunt, encouraged me to change to third person limited style in 2006. I'm most comfortable telling stories in this style.

Jan is certainly correct in his assessment of the ending. My goal was to allow the reader a peak at the direction of the next Vegas volume.

Jack B)

Editing and beta reading are definitely important. As for first person, it's simply easier for some us. Anyway, I am still working on improving my 3rd person stories.

As for the intention of the ending, it's still an evil cliffhanger even if you intended it not to be. :P

Jack B)

What? Not a cliffhanger? Awww, but I was so enjoying declaring one! :P It's my hobby, you know. 0:)

BTW, another of Jack's stories that I particularly enjoyed was Domes and Teaposts. I love politics, and this was very well done!