What's your favourite Salad Dressing?

Mmmmmm it is like asking for a sparkling wine vs. Champagne. All Champagnes are sparkling wines, not all sparkling wines are Champagne. Ditto for Bourbon and whiskey.

You're right, and you said it much more nicely than I did. It just pisses me off when people are pretentious assholes.

Guest JamieScot

I am amazed that you are all so conservative,

There are hundreds if not thousands of dressings out there and each one will be perfect with a particular salad. Like all condiments it must complement the food it is enhacing, which is why there are so many oils, vinegars and juices to choose from.

For instance there are something over four hundred different types of Tomato and each can react differently to the same dressing.

A salad of little yellow "sweeties" would only require the lightest of lemon and light oliveoil or grapeseed, whereas a plate of slices of "Mamade" or any other big flavoured giants can take the full Balsamic and Robusto oil and still come through.

Edited by JamieScot

I am amazed that you are all so conservative,

There are hundreds if not thousands of dressings out there and each one will be perfect with a particular salad. Like all condiments it must complement the food it is enhacing, which is why there are so many oils, vinegars and juices to choose from.

Welcome Jamie. Another 'golden oldie' into food! You wouldn't live in Colorado by chance? I love my time spent in the kitchen doing meals. :boy:

• Site Administrator

Depends. If I'm eating a basic boring green salad with tasteless lettuce I like something with a bit of flavor like Green Goddes dressing. I love the light licorice flavor from the tarragon and chervil. If I'm eating something with better flavor, like a spinach or meat salad I usually go for something lighter like a raspberry vinagrette though I'm picky as to the brand. I really like Marie's. It's all natural and goes really well with my favorite salad, Mango chicken.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it depends on the salad doesn't it?

A lettuce wedge just screams for chunky bleu cheese, you can't call it a Caesar Salad without Caesar dressing (with raw egg & anchovie), a caprese has to have a vinaigrette and so on.

• 1 month later...

For a bit of an asian, healthy touch, I like some kind of toasted sesame seed dressing, some crunchy things, some tangerine slices, chicken or roast pork (the red kind...in chinese it is known as "char-siu").

For a more western touch, I prefer a Ranch or Caesar dressing.

euh... uhm... how come i missed this thread? :blink: though... I'm sort of dressing-illiterate... :*) my family is very dressing-conservative in the meaning we used a really basic one that even hasn't got a name I guess... just water, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper... used for both lettuce or cucumber salad...

Dont worry baby.... im gonna make it my mission to have us try all the salad dressings of the world...