Where Are Your Ancestors From?

I thought it would be fun to find out what everyone's ancestry was. I guess its geared more towards Americans, but if your from another country and your ancestors are not natives you can tell us too. :) Please state what country you live in now (if you live in the US, what region or state) and your family ancestry.

- I'm from New England in the United States. Currently go to college right outside Philadelphia.

- I'm French-Canadian (which is very common in Northern New England) and German. The French-Canadian side of my family settled in Vermont and New Hampshire, and the German side of my family settled in New York City and Long Island.

-My French-Canadian ancestors came to America sometime in the 1840s and the German side of my family came to the US in 1901 via Ellis Island.

Edited by TetRefine

Oh fun. XD

I'm not exactly sure about everything, but I know for certain (as of recently) that my real father was Hispanic, and his mother was from Chile, and his father from Mexico. My mom's side is probably Italian mxed with a whole bunch of stuff, and have been in the US for a long time, I'm guessing. :P

I don't know a lot about either side of my family to say for sure. :lol:

Edited by Arpeggio

Hi everybody! :P

I am Swenglish - my moms acestors was from Halmstad in Swe and when their farms failed in the middle ages they turned to piracy for a while. Then eventually came to Americain the early 18th C settling first in Boston then WV where we are now Hillbillys up in Appalachia :P

My Daddy is from TX by way of NY by way of OH by way of UK and Germany. When they got to NY there was a big fite and a division of the family after a few decades and the principal line headed south/west to the deep South TX Borderlands and are now Rancher stock.

Was born in Ky, raised in WV mountains till 10 and then to TX since then :)

Love from Joey~

My Dad's father is from Vancouver, British Columbia. So that makes me 1/4 Canadian. My Mom's family has been in the USA for quite some time though. I guess I should trace her family tree sometime. Oh yeah, I am from the Southwest in the USA.

From back in the 16th century, that part of the Netherlands which is now part of Germany - my surname is Dutch. From a bit later, through the Puritans, English. From a lot later, the late 1800's/early 1900's, a good soaking in Ireland, and finally, to round things off, a mild bit of more Irish.

Charles Darwin would agree that my ancestors are monkeys..

Wait. That doesn't sound right.

The first life forms on earth are single-cell eukaryotes.

Wait. That doesn't sound right.

I should keep my mouth shut, or someone would be mad at me for opposing the theory of Adam and Eve. :P

• Like 2

The first life forms on earth are single-cell eukaryotes.

Eukaryotes are multicellular organisms. The first life forms were prokaryotes.

I am American -- Californian (for now -- 6 months and counting, baby!) :2thumbs:

Anyways, my dad's grandfather was the first on that side of the family to be born in the U.S. They were Polish. My dad's father married a woman from a very German family. Those were interesting family reunions. lol.

My mom's side of the family we know has some Native American, because there's notes in old family records about "Wild Man Bill" who ran off with an "Indian" and was disowned. We think this is one of the guys who helped settle Washington State, but we're not sure. We also know that there's a big chunk of Irish from my mom's side. My sister is the only one in 3 generations to get the red hair, but we've definitely got the tempers, fair skin, and freckles! lol. Yep, pretty much we're mutts on my mom's side.

Right now, I live in Midwest America.

I descend from one of the first families to settle Canada, (Ouellette) having emigrated from France about 1630. As they moved into the US, I acquired Algonquin blood.

One of my great grandfathers came from Italy with his Norwegian wife.

A great, great grandfather came from Newburgh, Scotland.

My other great, great grandfather came from Bohemia (Czechoslovakia). His son, my great grandfather, married a woman from Ireland.

Seven nationalities, so I guess I'm part of that great American melting pot.

I've traced three of my four grandparent's genealogical lines back to the 1500s. The stories and information one collects while hunting down their ancestors is amazing.

Edited by Tipdin
  • Like 1

I live in California, but I was born and raised in Wyoming.

On my father's side they were pure German although our name got Anglicized a few years after we got here in 1709. My early ancestors were from the Palatinate in Germany, but once they got here they intermarried with English, Scottish a few more Germans.

My mother's side is mostly English, with a few Danes and Swedes slipped in.

Edited by Matthew k

B)........Wow, a lot of you guys have a lot of history! I have never checked passed what I knew of, my father's dad was a 100% Irish immigrant to the US, my grandmother on his side was a French-Canadian. (Since we have never had any contact with that side of the family, that is all I know). My mothers father and family were expelled from Spain (Jewish) settled in Costa Rica, before re-settling in San Fransisco. My mother's father married my grandmother there, she died young. My father and mother met and married in Las Vegas.

Sidenote; All my relatives on my mothers side are gone, I'm not sure of my father's side, they would have nothing to do with us since they were Irish Catholics and my mother was Jewish. We last saw only of of my 'Uncles' from my fathers side at my grandmothers funeral. He refused to talk to us, and refused to give any of us old pictures of my father. May he rest in hell!!! (Not my Father)

Edited by Benji

Born in Memphis...have lived in Nashville for the last 36 years...was a fifth generation Memphian, so the family has been there quite a while.

Like many Americans, I have mixed ancestry and know little about some ancestors.

Mom's family: British and French. Don't know much about the British side, but the French arrived during the American Revolution and were early settlers in the trans-Appalachian region.

Dad's family: Irish, maybe. His ancestors came from Ireland in the mid-nineteenth century, but their origins appear to be Anglo-Saxon and German. They apparently migrated to Ireland, then to America.

Short answer when someone asks is usually "Irish".

i'm at least a quarter irish.

there's some polish in there, and then a bunch of eastern european countries who have either disappeared or shifted borders.

if a delinquent from this website says i'm jewish, he's lying and mean.

:blink:...........But what is wrong with that?????

• Site Administrator

I live in Southern Alberta.

I spent ten years of my life living in a city called Lethbridge. It was there that I realized that i had became a Lethbian :blink:

I don't live there anymore.

Now let's see, my Mom was born in the lower mainland of BC to parents that were Russian Jew (father) and Irish (mother). My father was born in Ottawa to parents that were Scottish (Father) and English (mother).

Just to make it confusing, my parents were Canadian and I was born in Germany in a British hospital.

Figure that all out :P

• Like 1

Born and Raised in Connecticut.

100% Italian and proud, and I mean real Italian, none of this Guido non-sense.

I'm also a first generation American. My family grew up in the mountains of Southern Italy (When I explain to people that I speak a dialect of Italian and not proper Italian I jokingly say I speak Italian with a Southern Accent.) My mother's immediate family still lives in Italy, half in the ancestral homeland and the other half closer to Rome. There is a cousin in the UK and I a few Uncles/Aunts/Cousins dotted across Germany and Switzerland. My Father's family almost entirely immigrated to CT, with a small concentration in Montreal, Canada.

My Father immigrated to America in 1967(ish) and my mother immigratged in 1980.

Fun Family Facts:

My mother's maiden name was Lombardi which indicates that her family was most likely at some point from the Lombardia region of Northern Italy, which explains why her family has light eyes (blue and green) even though they have dark skin and hair. Most Southern Italians, (myself included), tend to have have dark brown eyes. Even those who are lucky enough to have to blue or green eyes in the south usually have very dark blue/grey or green/hazel.

My last name can be traced back to ancient Latin where if it was used as a slang word or "nick name" for a left handed person. It was most definitely derrogatory though because in Ancient Rome they believed left hand people were evil as proven by the fact that the proper Latin word for Left is Sinister. So my last name, literally translated, means "Lefty." The best part of this fun family fact is that on my father's side no one is left handed.

Edited by Caipirinha
  • Site Moderator

Like MikeL, I don't know a lot about my family.

On my dad's side, there is French and German.

On my mom's side, English, supposedly a stowaway.

I was born and raised in Indiana and moved to the Philly suburbs in September of 1992.