Where Are Your Ancestors From?

Live in CA.

Father's family is pure Scots, even if some of them came from Scotland via Canada.

Mother's family is more complicated, of her great grandparents 5 of the 8 were German/Austrian/Swiss ancestry but parts of the countries they were from are now Danish and French, so like I said it is complicated. The other three were mostly English with the earliest ancestors getting here in 1640 as indentured servants. The English part married into the German part in the 1870's in Iowa, but parts of the family (the English) still live within 30 miles of West Hartford where they settled in the 1670's. Their progeny pushed west though leaving family in NY, PA, OH, IL, MI, WI, IA & MN. A lot of them still live in those states.

Similarly the German side of the family that arrived in Philadelphia in 1707 still has branches in Lancaster Co (PA Dutch) and other parts of PA & OH and one of my umpteenth cousins lives in the town where my great great great great great great great great great great grandfather who was on that ship in 1707 is buried. But they had itchy feet too and a bunch moved on to IA, NE, TX, ND, SD and just about anyplace else they could find rich farmland. A few even found their way to California during the Gold Rush days. A few stayed, but most made their fortune, promptly lost it and moved back east to go back to farming.

My dad is Polish/German and my mum is half German/half Hungarian (seriously, which Hungarian in their right mind would have immigrated to Germany in 1943? Just wondering...but the answer is, my grandma...that's where I must have gotten my crazy from).

I've been living in Iowa for a good 7 years now and people keep telling me they're "German"... it's funny how people here have such a strong sense of ancestry and back in Europe we didn't really care.... I don't consider myself German or half this, quarter that, but just European. Turning into a somewhat weird version of an Iowan (I absolutely hate corn...).

Ok! Now that's family pride! I like it. However...

I belong to the Scottish Robertson Clan and can trace my ancestry to the Royal House of Duncan the first, King of Scotland. A King trumps a Lord, sorry, mate.

Hey, I'm related to John Wilkes Boothe, so watch out! :devil:

Well I'm in North Midwest

Dads side is Finnish/Swedish & Czech/English/Mix- Supposedly the English part of the family came over really early, like mayflower era.

Ma side is Swiss/German and Swedish - And supposedly I was related to the royal family of Sweden, but no records exhist... so either it isn't true, or my family was disowned

I live in Southern Alberta.

I spent ten years of my life living in a city called Lethbridge. It was there that I realized that i had became a Lethbian :blink:

I don't live there anymore.

Now let's see, my Mom was born in the lower mainland of BC to parents that were Russian Jew (father) and Irish (mother). My father was born in Ottawa to parents that were Scottish (Father) and English (mother).

Just to make it confusing, my parents were Canadian and I was born in Germany in a British hospital.

Figure that all out :P

You have my sympathies over your speech impediment.:lmao:

But then it would appear that you are blessed with the best of BOTH worlds!0:)

Just to make it confusing, my parents were Canadian and I was born in Germany in a British hospital.

Figure that all out :P

The odds are that your father was in the Canadian armed forces serving in Germany and you were born in a British Forces Hospital in Germany or if complications was expected in a UK hospital, Probably Queen Charlotte's. Yes?

Swedish, Scotch-Irish and... alcoholic.

You meant alcoholic, alcoholic-alcoholic and... alcoholic? :P

I live in the Czech Republic, though my ancestors came here from Germany, sometimes in the Medieval Ages when the borderlands were being settled. That's my Dad's side. My Mum's side is Hungarian, but from Southern Slovakia (huge minority there) and whatever streaks they had in their blood, IDK :)

See - not only the US are a melting pot, the Central Europe is too! :D (I have a friend who is Czech but has roots in Slovenia, Slovakia, Poland and Germany or Austria, not sure now... )

Nice to meet someone from Canada :)

I thought it would be fun to find out what everyone's ancestry was. I guess its geared more towards Americans, but if your from another country and your ancestors are not natives you can tell us too. :) Please state what country you live in now (if you live in the US, what region or state) and your family ancestry.

- I'm from New England in the United States. Currently go to college right outside Philadelphia.

- I'm French-Canadian (which is very common in Northern New England) and German. The French-Canadian side of my family settled in Vermont and New Hampshire, and the German side of my family settled in New York City and Long Island.

-My French-Canadian ancestors came to America sometime in the 1840s and the German side of my family came to the US in 1901 via Ellis Island.

Mother from Shanghai but lived most of her life in Japan ... then NY and then Florida

Father from Main land china ... then NY then Florida

- - -

My question for any one - how much one's family beliefs or history survived the long years?

My parents can't tell us children or my nieces or nephews about family history before their own parents

It does spell a break in the family line and in some families out there .. there is a reason why

But then there are some families just adopt a modern view of their family and lose contact with their ancestry

Hence that is why we have genology.com or ancestry.com but really those can be just another form of social networking.

I have no idea about my mom's heritage, there's no info that she can give. And her parents are dead :( Lucky that you can find stuff.

Mother from Shanghai but lived most of her life in Japan ... then NY and then Florida

Father from Main land china ... then NY then Florida

- - -

My question for any one - how much one's family beliefs or history survived the long years?

My parents can't tell us children or my nieces or nephews about family history before their own parents

It does spell a break in the family line and in some families out there .. there is a reason why

But then there are some families just adopt a modern view of their family and lose contact with their ancestry

Hence that is why we have genology.com or ancestry.com but really those can be just another form of social networking.

I have no idea about my mom's heritage, there's no info that she can give. And her parents are dead :( Lucky that you can find stuff.

Yes you can be lucky and then there are those you can't be so lucky

ie: Ancestry that doesn't keep records well and people that tell it in verbally are no longer around ... worst if the village no longer exists

I am pretty sure in your case records are there for you to find and can trace back ... all the way back into Europe

But when ones anscestory is tribal or village ... there is no way to be certain without a professional and plenty of money

Roots the mini-series ... is such an interesting account of how hard it was to discover .... I bet here are those who aren't go lucky

Imagine if one was Hispanic\native american that can trace back to the aztec and then trace that back to somewhere in south America

Wouldn't that be interesting ... but the problem would be ... small pox or something like that killed off 2/3 of the populations in north and south America during the 1400s

only hispanic mix one in here so far >_<' someone bettter make me feel part of the group :,(

For Shame For Shame child, You did not remember momma.

I've been in the US since 1981 Via Puerto Rico... On my mom's side they came from The Canary Islands

On my dad's side, his mom's ancestors came from England and his father (may he be enjoying the devil's lap even though i don't believe in the devil) are from Africa. I don't know when they all (or who) settled in PR but I'm pretty sure there's gotta be at least a smidge of Taino Indian in me, maybe.

So, in other words, I'm Heinz 57

So you see Lacey... You're not alone chico. ;)

Ireland both North & South.

My Ma's family come from Belfast mostly & surrounding areas, my Dad's from Waterford in Southern Ireland. We do have some distant relations who came from Scotland though.

Although I was born in Belfast, have been brought up in the UK since I was 2, so consider myself English... sorta. lol

My driver's license etc. states Native American.

My bloodline does have a couple of mixes in it, as I had a gr-gr parents who was Welsh and another who was mixed English & African.

Otherwise, my native ancestors come from Russia originally, but more latterly from regional lands which include northern Mexico and Arizona, my Chiricahua Apache cousins, and then Tennessee and northern Alabama for my Cherokee & Creek.

Just the same, I was born in Germany and have spent at least half of my life there on and off, and feel as comfortable with my German culture and society as I do among the People.

The rare, exotic mix of Polish/Hebrew :great: , with a heaping helping of German somewhere in the mix. No wonder I hate myself!

Just because one is Polish and Hebrew doesn't mean inherent hatred. Lots of German Jews as well.

Imagine if one was Hispanic\native american that can trace back to the aztec and then trace that back to somewhere in south America

Wouldn't that be interesting ... but the problem would be ... small pox or something like that killed off 2/3 of the populations in north and south America during the 1400s

Actually it is not as difficult to find out anymore, and not as expense either. One of the services we provide at our Native American education classes is the direction to blood testing to determine ancestry.

Although it doesn't provide names or dates of course it can very closely match you to ethnic groups and locations where that same or similar blood line is. It's a very good service for many mixed bloods in some areas of the US where they were misused, taken, split up and lost track with any others like themselves.

Many of my ancestors did not speak English and did not read or write it, orally history was passed down which I am aware of back 5 generations. However, in the late 1800s our main family branch was taken and divided. The 13 children were given or taken away to be placed with other families depending on their looks. If you looked more white, you were sent to someone like that...and so on.

Although the children later took steps to reach each other again, the service was invaluable to help us regain others. Even if no names were found or known, it can give some sense of connection as you can discover those whose blood, as I said, is similar to your own.

P.S. Yes, direct introduction of a deadly disease to hopefully completely declimate the indigenous peoples.

Ireland both North & South.

My Ma's family come from Belfast mostly & surrounding areas, my Dad's from Waterford in Southern Ireland. We do have some distant relations who came from Scotland though.

Although I was born in Belfast, have been brought up in the UK since I was 2, so consider myself English... sorta. lol

I consider you Gorgeous!!! :wub:

only hispanic mix one in here so far >_<' someone bettter make me feel part of the group :,(

Right then.

Native Californian, and I mean that in both senses of the phrase. My dad's side is from Mexico, and my mom's techinically is as well. California was Mexico before becoming part of the US, and we more or less came with the state.

There's actually a minority group in Mexico that still speaks Nahuatl, the native Aztec language. But your point is well taken.

I now live in Texas. I was born in Missouri with some ancestors being from Kansas and others being from Missouri. All have been in the US since at least the 1800's and likely even before.

I don't know for sure. What I know for sure is English and Irish, though English is definitely dominant. My paternal grandmother as well as my maternal grandfather were both of English descent. Whether there are other sources I'm not sure, but all the surnames from either of those two are English. My paternal grandfather, who I know the least about, is at least part either of Northern English or Southern Scottish descent as the surname Walker can come from either one. And no, that is not my surname, because I was half-adopted. My maternal grandmother was a mixed English and Irish ancestry. There are likely others, but I have not done any research.

Edited by Tiger