When was the last time you got a handwritten letter?

Does a short note intended for a receptionist clipped to business correspondence count?  If yes I have both received and sent one within the last week and do it regularly. If not - probably about a year ago for sending one. Darned if i can remember the last one i received. 

Hmmm....just last week I re-read a letter that my Dad sent to me when I was about 27. It was an amend letter and I thought I'd thrown it away and so very glad to find out I hadn't.

The last letter I wrote by hand was a cover letter for a job I applied to.

Other than cards with personal messages written inside or thank you notes for wedding or Christmas gifts, it has been a couple of years.  I've had plenty of personal messages that were composed on a computer and then printed out, but few were the person actually took time to write it out himself.  Since most have such bad handwritting, that may be a blessing. 

Like a real letter? Because I get little notes and post-it notes all the time.. lol. 

I used to write letters all the time, now I just text.. and my friends get annoyed with me when I write and write and write in the text message and they get like three or so in a row from me.. they respond with a.. "why in the hell didn't you just call me?" lol.. and I'm like.. "I don't have time damnit.." which doesn't make any sense, since I can talk faster than I can text - still. :P

But eh.. I guess the last real letter I got was a small one from Aaron when we were dating... and I think it was just about three or so sentences.

Like a real letter? Because I get little notes and post-it notes all the time.. lol. 

I used to write letters all the time, now I just text.. and my friends get annoyed with me when I write and write and write in the text message and they get like three or so in a row from me.. they respond with a.. "why in the hell didn't you just call me?" lol.. and I'm like.. "I don't have time damnit.." which doesn't make any sense, since I can talk faster than I can text - still. :P

But eh.. I guess the last real letter I got was a small one from Aaron when we were dating... and I think it was just about three or so sentences.

Oh it makes sense !  If you text even a huge three ringer, you tend to stay on topic. I get on the phone with a friend and once business is taken care of the conversation digresses. I can end up on the phone for an hour easily! Thank god for blue tooth! I fold more laundry using one than i'll ever drive with it!

Edited by Kitt

Cris's great uncle wrote us a lovely little letter to accept coming to our wedding.

I last wrote a handwritten letter in... 2010? I think. I used to write them all the time at uni, my friends and i used to use "boyfriend mail" to send each other things in the days when we used to have limited text messages.

If you don't count cards, not in years.

I don't want to get one either.

B) ....................On my windshield by a coward that hit my parked car and wrote he didn't have the insurance or money but wrote out this peice to prevent others from identifying him...........and ran away like crazy!

I always hand write thankyou letters, but the rest is typed oremail. the last time I sent a thank you letter was 2 weeks ago.

The laast time I received a hand written letter was last christmas from our godson, and he had used a brush to make the characters, I could not read it but it was beautiful and even better when my partner translated it.

Anyone who got a handwritten letter from me wouldn't be able to read it anyways.  My cursive handwriting is unreadable and my print isn't that much better. :D  That being said, I received a handwritten thank you card from a friend a few months ago.  It was very sweet. :)

You write in cursive too, AJ?  :D I thought I was the only one who still did!  It's a dying art sadly.  I still handwrite all my thank you card and things, but it takes me forever because I have to concentrate on writing in print.  My print has gotten much better since I started teaching, but damn, it's still so freakin' SLOW.

I get one every week from my best friend. I send one every week back to her. We work together and sit about six feet from each other, it is nice to send a letter. I also send post cards and other random cards to friends a few times a month. USPS loves me.

If you want added to my list of random things received in the mail, shoot me your name/address via PM. I promise I'm much too lazy to stalk.

I sent a twitter buddy a beaver  via postcard, he assembled it and sent me a pic via twitter.

Edited by Andrea
  • Site Administrator

Hmmm, I have an aunt that writes about a two page cursive letter and adds it into the Christmas card every year. She says it would be easier to just write one and photocopy it or type it and print multiple copies but she enjoys making it personal and taking the time to relax and write.

The last letter I wrote was to a boyfriend that I was totally in love with and figured it was easier to write down my feelings for him instead of bumbling them up in speech. He read it, and I still have it :( Need I say more :(