Roads You Hate To Drive On

TetRefine

Are there any roads, highways, or interstates that you hate to drive on for whatever reason? Say for heavy traffic, poor maintenance, aggressive drivers, etc?

For me, the Cross Bronx Express (stretch of I-95) in New York City is my most hated stretch of road. No matter what day or time of day, its always packed with cars. And if you are planning on driving through during the day, plan on spending an hour and a half just to go a couple miles to the George Washington. Unfortunately for me, I constantly have to drive through New York to get from school in Philadelphia to home back in New England. It sucks and I dread it every time. 

Edited by TetRefine

Your fav expressway sounds like the 405 in socal. I hate that road. It's always busy (a nightmare during the rush hours) and people drive like maniacs on it. There's almost daily wrecks on the 405 during the morning traffic reports.

Personally I simply hate any road where I have to slow down and tolerate being stuck behind some snail. Whats the point in driving if yu cant speed (within reasonable limits of course)?:P

• Like 2

M6 (in the UK)! the M6 toll is an extortionate alternative to be avoided at all costs. Unfortunately that means i get to contend with heavy traffic flow, aggressive drivers with little regard for others and near constant roadworks meaning variable speed limits which a limited amount of the traffic actually follow. I enjoy it when they display delightful signs such as '48 drivers killed in 3 years' by the side of the road as well... makes me feel so much more able to take on the challenge. Of course, its likely that i will have crashed whilst reading this sign and the resulting inevitable contemplatiin of my own mortality.

GREAT!

Almost any highway in Saskatchewan. We are not known for good roads. The #7 is a particular pain in the a$$. Narrow(shoulda been twinned years ago) heavy traffic, lots of potholes. I hate driving it.You can tell immediately when you get onto Alberta highways....way way better.

B) ............................The road to Yosemite from Lee Vining always has me nervous, going up you have a 3000 foot sheer cliff on the right side with periodic rock slides, on the left you have a 2500-300 drop into the canyon and although the road is two lane. It still grips my stomach to drive it.

Driving anywhere in China is a complete nightmare.  The driving laws are different and since I don't drive in China, it makes it even harder to allow someone to take my safety in their hands and trust them to get me to point A to point B.  Almost all stereotypes about Chinese drivers are totally true.  It's actually legal for you to cut someone off.  And if you cut someone off and the other person hits you, it's THEIR fault.  Driving laws are different and it's truly terrifying sometimes.  Especially when you get in that taxi and the driver has just gotten a divorce and is now facing foreclosure on his apartment and it has nothing to do with you, but he's still driving about 80mph down a busy road, weaving in and out of traffic like his brakes are out.

Anything with more than one lane going in each direction. I no NOT like to be stuck in traffic, i don't like interstates, I don;t like being on a road with a lot of other drivers. Give me quiet country midwest roads and I love to drive. I don;t like driving in cities, i avoid them at all costs.

About every damn back road between here and my mother's house... and driving in the city where I live is hell.. probably one of the worst disasters in the state. lol

I try to avoid any heavily traveled roads at peak times and during rush hour, but I also hate driving on roads that are filled with potholes or in a state of disrepair. 

I-25 from Colorado Springs, Colorado to Santa Fe, New Mexico. Boring, boring, boring. Straight, hardly any traffic, six hours of snore.

Other than that, busy freeways where people hog the 'fast' lane and refuse to get over to let faster traffic pass.

The approach to and crossing the river on the Tappanzee Bridge over the Hudson River. Poorly maintained, low railings, they can shift the center divider so they can have more lanes for rush hour, and the whole thing is a logistic nightmare, not to mention the cost of the toll. 

Are there any roads, highways, or interstates that you hate to drive on for whatever reason? Say for heavy traffic, poor maintenance, aggressive drivers, etc?

The Pennsylvania Turnpike for all the above reasons.  My first experience with it was on our honeymoon and I have avoided it since with few exceptions.

B) ............................The road to Yosemite from Lee Vining always has me nervous, going up you have a 3000 foot sheer cliff on the right side with periodic rock slides, on the left you have a 2500-300 drop into the canyon and although the road is two lane. It still grips my stomach to drive it.

But what a view!

I-25 from Colorado Springs, Colorado to Santa Fe, New Mexico. Boring, boring, boring. Straight, hardly any traffic, six hours of snore.

Other than that, busy freeways where people hog the 'fast' lane and refuse to get over to let faster traffic pass.

Can you speed on that one? Are there many speed checks?

The approach to and crossing the river on the Tappanzee Bridge over the Hudson River. Poorly maintained, low railings, they can shift the center divider so they can have more lanes for rush hour, and the whole thing is a logistic nightmare, not to mention the cost of the toll. 

But at least you get a good (if not far away) view of Manhattan. :P

The Pennsylvania Turnpike for all the above reasons.  My first experience with it was on our honeymoon and I have avoided it since with few exceptions.

I read somewhere that PA has some of the most poorly maintained roads in the country. 

I wouldn't want to drive in any city.... no matter the size, Montana's cities are small but.... hectic...however...

I hear there are roads in India and/or pakistan that are pretty bad... dirt and mud one way cliff roads

and then there is Alaska's Ice Roads....(not icey roads... roads made of ice :o )

the coastal road from brighton to seaford, so many damn speed camera's. and yes, i live in England.

also, i hare being suck behind anything going slow, unless it;s a tractor in the countryside. that i can totally deal with

In Norcal, Eastshore freeway I-80 east between E'ville and Richmond, it's a car park on both sides during commute and people constantly abuse the carpool lanes.  I-880 between Oakland and San Jose is not much better and you have the added thrill of aggressive big rigs and potholes galore. :unsure:

Delaware traffic is rountinely awful.

This is what happens when you're a suburban state who builds strip mall shopping centers for out-of-staters while not having the taxes or the room to build sufficent roads.

The worst though is summer beach traffic on Route 1:

Route 1 is my most-hated route, as they are always crowded, and the interchange between Route 1 and I-95 by Christiana Mall is going through construction as they add fly-over lanes and the like.

Edited by methodwriter85

and the interchange between Route 1 and I-95 by Christiana Mall is going through construction as they add fly-over lanes and the like.

Yeah, the way they routed the Christiana Mall exit off I-95 around the construction zone is just plain bizarre. Not to mention confusing and very cramped. I have made numerous wrong turns at the mall, especially leaving to go back north. 

Yeah, the way they routed the Christiana Mall exit off I-95 around the construction zone is just plain bizarre. Not to mention confusing and very cramped. I have made numerous wrong turns at the mall, especially leaving to go back north. 

On the other hand, the fact that you can buy a Apple products without having to pay any taxes on them makes it worth it, right?

The Christiana Mall area is trying to turn itself into a mega-shopping area on the order of King of Prussia- hence them adding a new anchor, a new movie theater, and a new sister shopping center. Hence all the road contruction to try and handle it.

Edited by methodwriter85