Message added by Myr,

Carlos passed away on Jun 16, 2023:

Your readers plead with you to write more stories because of the quality of your writing. I've been reading for many years (since I was about five or six and discovered Dick and Jane readers in my uncle's library (he was a teacher early in his career). So, I can safely say I have been exposed to a wide variety of stories genres, the content of which was good, bad and some that were so bad they should never made it to print. 

I used to write stories when I was a kid. Thinking back to what I wrote and what I read today, I can say with certainty, that I would not be able to produce a body of work as remotely engrossing.  It takes an enormous amount of talent to produce a story that can grab a readers attention and produce thought provoking reviews. 

Side note. I did notice your story has popped on the another site. I'm actually reading a story on that site about two strong 20 something men that have come together as a couple to create a family unit comprised of non-blood relations. 

As as for your being long winded and no longer making sense?  Nah, not even close. 

:thumbup:

What's the story. There are a couple I follow there so I tend to check every morning. To be honest, Mann has a lot to do with the quality of my story, I can't sing his praises often enough. He's sharing his experience here on GA and in real life publishing and that's priceless. He has however spoiled for reading on line stories. every time I encounter something I used to--or sometimes still-do, it makes me cringe. One of the first things he cured me of was using actual height/weight/penis size when describing a character. By the second chapter of Summer I was no longer doing it. Yet I find myself reading stories by people who've been writing much longer and still do it!

I shall strive to live up to your praise and provide an interesting, well written read. Honestly!

• Like 1

The story is Family Matters under the Beginnings category in Nifty and I believe in your very earnest 'honestly' - totally!

Read the first chapter of that one a couple of weeks ago and bookmarked it already. I think I need a break from my current accounting work, let me go read chapter 2!

:rofl:

Sadly, I'm in the same boat. It'll post in less than 12 hours and around this time every week I start getting nervous.. Will people like it? Will they understand what I was trying to say? Did I screw up anything real badly? All the insecurities which weren't there when I wrote the chapter, all of a sudden show up.

I did some work on Chapter 11 this morning but then had to put it aside, all I kept thinking about is the one going live tomorrow!

Looking forward to hearing what you think!

There.s a small, loyal core of readers but not many more hit the like button. Hell, some people leave reviews but don't hit the silly button. I use those likes as a guide. I'm stingy on how I use mine, I tend to save them for stories I really like, so I have to assume others are the same way.

You know what they say about assuming? :P

I don't think I have ever "liked" a story or a chapter, I tend to save the few precious likes for use in the forums

Before I started joining in, I loved reading the stories but never commented, reviewed or liked. I popped in, read some good stories and left. I know authors love the feedback but I don't think you can presume that people don't appreciate the writing if they don't leave a comment.

Edit: Did I just call you an ass?  :rolleyes: If the shoe fits...  :P

Edited by Bucket1
  • Site Moderator

Tick, tick, tick...  Counting the time to the next chapter. How bad is that?

Not bad at all. I liken waiting for Wednesday morning to come as being in the same category as waiting for Santa to come on Christmas morning. Because, like Christmas morning (or more correctly, the night before) I have a hard time falling asleep as the anticipation is so great. 

• Like 1

You know what they say about assuming? :P

I don't think I have ever "liked" a story or a chapter, I tend to save the few precious likes for use in the forums

Before I started joining in, I loved reading the stories but never commented, reviewed or liked. I popped in, read some good stories and left. I know authors love the feedback but I don't think you can presume that people don't appreciate the writing if they don't leave a comment.

Edit: Did I just call you an ass?  :rolleyes: If the shoe fits...  :P

I've had that discussion with Tim before. He treasures the likes he gets for comments in the forum while I value the ones given to the stories the most. I think it all comes down to what we're focused on when we come to GA. Had THAT chat with Drew the other day. Many people come here for the social aspects while others come for the literary one. Neither is entirely right or wrong and neither lives in solitude. I come for the later but end up with a lot of the former in the process.

Being from Oz I'd expect you to call me an arse! :D

Not bad at all. I liken waiting for Wednesday morning to come as being in the same category as waiting for Santa to come on Christmas morning. Because, like Christmas morning (or more correctly, the night before) I have a hard time falling asleep as the anticipation is so great. 

If the stars properly align: Autumn 4 will post tomorrow, Summer 5 will be updated with a couple of minute changes on Thursday (most visible change will be CJ's t-shirt in the chapter so there'll be a corresponding change in the gallery) and then I hope a new Trooper Tale will post on Friday.

Fair warning, I had a couple of beers with dinner and I'm having a cocktail as dessert, my timing may be all screwy :P

• Like 1

I've had that discussion with Tim before. He treasures the likes he gets for comments in the forum while I value the ones given to the stories the most. I think it all comes down to what we're focused on when we come to GA. Had THAT chat with Drew the other day. Many people come here for the social aspects while others come for the literary one. Neither is entirely right or wrong and neither lives in solitude. I come for the later but end up with a lot of the former in the process.

Being from Oz I'd expect you to call me an arse! :D

Of course I was calling you an arse but I was translating because you Americans can't spell :P

Given your preference for us poor embattled readers "liking" your story, I will do my best to remember :)

• Like 1

Of course I was calling you an arse but I was translating because you Americans can't spell :P

Given your preference for us poor embattled readers "liking" your story, I will do my best to remember :)

I've got a major character from Oz and an entire band from Down Under, I can spell Oztrayan. Speaking of bands, I have to write the chapter of Autumn featuring the Furballs from scratch, they weren't around when I wrote the original.

This forum I'll spend as much time as I have to chatting with my readers and hopefully providing some additional insights to the story and the characters. Other forums I've sort of drifted away from for a variety of reasons. I kinda like the majority of my likes come from the stories, Myr said the system can't summarize the likes a story gets but I really wish we could see that number at a glancethe way we see the number of reviews.

• Site Moderator

Okay, so I'm confused about how likes really work.

One of the reasons I became a registered user, is so that I could show my appreciation for a story I liked.  I was under the impression that there was a maximum (ridiculously small max in my opinion) number of likes allowed during a certain frame (not based on 24 hour clock best I can determine) while in the story section.

I'm making this distinction between the Forum and the Story section for a reason. From your comments Carlos, you seem to indicate (if I interpret your words correctly) that there aren't a set of user likes for each section. 

What I'm trying to say in my verbose way is that I recently used a lot of likes in a very short period of time when I was in the Forum.

So, if that was a fluke (or worse, a delusion) does anyone know what the max for likes is?

Oh, and Carlos?

Just so you know, I reserve a Like for your weekly contribution to the GA library and..... Drum roll please 

July 29 marks my 4th month anniversary for posting reviews on GA -- Melvyn Ford being number 1 :D

• Like 1

I don't know what the number is but we do have a limit on the number of likes we're allowed to spread around. Pretty sure it's based on 24 hours but I could be wrong. There's no distinction made for likes given in different settings. We have a set number to use for stories, forums, gallery, blogs, etc. the number is constant.

My comment about preferences was based on a conversation with someone who tries to make as many comments as possible and leave reviews everywhere because he keeps track of those personal statistics and likes to be amongst the 'leaders'. He also stated back the he didn't care if people gave his story likes or not, he liked to get them for forum posts instead.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, I love feedback on my stories, I know not everyone will leave a comment, but by hitting the like button, it tells me they read and enjoyed. Is that about as clear as mud now?

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

Getting there. 

As an aside, I think the fact that you worry so much about your readers opinions of your stories is a good thing. It means you care.  You are concerned that your readers enjoy reading the story they have chosen to pass the time.  :) 

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

Thanks, Rex--

Yeah, still dealing with loose ends. The cops are waiting on the sidelines. The new wrinkle was Tom's parents which may lead to some interesting events in the future. Like for example,  :X

What's up with the reference re "future events"? Shouldn't those two just hop on a plane and go home? I don't want to think about the grief they could inflict on a recovering Tommy. Though it might be funny to see them try something when he has the Eight (CJ being number 8 at this point) covering his six.

And, about CJ's being a "devious little shit", I beg to differ. By bringing extra toiletries beyond what he needed, it's quite clear he was being thoughtful in considering the need of another - namely his Uncle JP who was to distraught to think about anything else. but Tommy.

• Like 1

Thanks, Rex--

Yeah, still dealing with loose ends. The cops are waiting on the sidelines. The new wrinkle was Tom's parents which may lead to some interesting events in the future. Like for example,  :X

What's up with the reference re "future events"? Shouldn't those two just hop on a plane and go home? I don't want to think about the grief they could inflict on a recovering Tommy. Though it might be funny to see them try something when he has the Eight (CJ being number 8 at this point) covering his six.

And, about CJ's being a "devious little shit", I beg to differ. By bringing extra toiletries beyond what he needed, it's quite clear he was being thoughtful in considering the need of another - namely his Uncle JP who was to distraught to think about anything else. but Tommy.

I'll be honest and say the Kennedys are not out of the picture. I loved writing that scene and I think they have much potential for mischief in them.

Oh come on, the kid's a little manipulative imp. He might be good and honest but i think he's the type who'll go the extra mile to get his way, but he'll be prepared for the journey :D

Three likes on stories and I've reached my max of positive votes?  Arggh

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Give it a little time and you'll recharge. You probably handed them out a lot in the forums, it's easy to lose track of them.

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

I'll be honest and say the Kennedys are not out of the picture. I loved writing that scene and I think they have much potential for mischief in them.

Oh come on, the kid's a little manipulative imp. He might be good and honest but i think he's the type who'll go the extra mile to get his way, but he'll be prepared for the journey :D

Give it a little time and you'll recharge. You probably handed them out a lot in the forums, it's easy to lose track of them.

Not buying what you're selling. CJ may frequently be a manipulative little imp, but I stand by my original assessment. He was wearing his big boy pants and being selfless in his preparations for his vigil that night.

• Like 3

Happy birthday, Potus! Tom Kennedy turns 41 today.

Gotta keep track of these things, you never know if the series will go on long enough I'll have to write about today's events! :D

Of course you keep track of it all  :rolleyes:

Happy birthday to all the fictional characters celebrating today :P

• Like 1

Of course you keep track of it all  :rolleyes:

Happy birthday to all the fictional characters celebrating today :P

You want to see my 'Timeline' Excel spreadsheet?

I start with birthdays for all the major characters. It has first and last day of classes around each vacation. I've started adding weather conditions for some events -- you never know when there's a need to get the PP out on the water! I've included a couple of significant events from the news which could play a part in the story if I end up writing that far into the future :D

• Like 2