O. Henry Short Story Prompt 1 – The Green Door

I agree with Val, I immediately was put in mind of a Christmas Carol! I wonder why we often offer 3 choices? Why not 5 or 2, sorry just thought it was interesting: top 3, 3 ghosts, 3 doors (even on game shows), ABCs.

Anyway great job Def. I liked your take on this. I find it interesting they are all prompt responses are diff, yet also similar in a number of ways! I hope you'll keep on writing!

tim xo

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 3

Welcome to the red, Defiance!  At least I hope you'll be changing to red soon ;)  I enjoyed your take on the prompt.  It reminded me a bit of "A Christmas Carol", even though he didn't get a glimpse into the future, but rather encouragement from mom.  I liked how Stan also experienced the green door.  Great job! 

I was thinking about your story on the drive to work and realized that it was Stan's voice directing Rudi, wasn't it? I probably should have read it when I was more awake.  :facepalm: lol

Thank you Val.. I had an idea got it done and I sent it to AC before I could change my mind, so I'm glad it works. I can see how you thought A Christmas Carol too, though I admit I had no idea how it would play out.. I don't even know if Stan's voice was directing Rudi, but I like that's it's how you interpreted it.. Hopefully I get better enough to try on the red yeah... 

I agree with Val, I immediately was put in mind of a Christmas Carol! I wonder why we often offer 3 choices? Why not 5 or 2, sorry just thought it was interesting: top 3, 3 ghosts, 3 doors (even on game shows), ABCs.

Anyway great job Def. I liked your take on this. I find it interesting they are all diff, yet also similar in a number of ways! I hope you'll keep on writing!

tim xo

Thank you Tim.. Honestly, I don't know why 3 either. It didn't start that way. I went to a thing where they lock you in an elevator like room in the dark, and you have to work out these puzzles for the door to open. That was what I was going for but that's not what came out.. Go figure.. 

I havent read the other prompts yet.. busy weekend. I have all day today though.. 

• Like 4

Thank you Val.. I had an idea got it done and I sent it to AC before I could change my mind, so I'm glad it works. I can see how you thought A Christmas Carol too, though I admit I had no idea how it would play out.. I don't even know if Stan's voice was directing Rudi, but I like that's it's how you interpreted it.. Hopefully I get better enough to try on the red yeah... 

Thank you Tim.. Honestly, I don't know why 3 either. It didn't start that way. I went to a thing where they lock you in an elevator like room in the dark, and you have to work out these puzzles for the door to open. That was what I was going for but that's not what came out.. Go figure.. 

I havent read the other prompts yet.. busy weekend. I have all day today though..

When you write be prepared for the Outer Limits opening...we have taken control of ... you planned for one thing, but it's like something takes control and writes something else.
  • Like 3

Defiance19!!!

It's a great story, and it's nice to see you posting!

I liked the moment when the voice started. It was like – we were just walking to a table, and now.… That level of discombobulation for the reader is fun, and keeps us on our toes.

And then the memories started, and you touched my heart.

Very well done!  

• Like 3

Defiance19!!!

It's a great story, and it's nice to see you posting!

I liked the moment when the voice started. It was like – we were just walking to a table, and now.… That level of discombobulation for the reader is fun, and keeps us on our toes.

And then the memories started, and you touched my heart.

Very well done!  

Thank you kindly AC....For your support and encouragement too.  I'm glad I tried it and even happier it worked! Dare I say I'm looking forward to the next? Hehe... 

• Like 3

Def, I'm so glad you decided to write more! Your poems made me want to see more and here you are! I agree with the others. You should go red and collect your work so it's easier to find and enjoy by others.

Writing is a drug though, so be prepared...

• Like 3

Def, I'm so glad you decided to write more! Your poems made me want to see more and here you are! I agree with the others. You should go red and collect your work so it's easier to find and enjoy by others.

Writing is a drug though, so be prepared...

Thanks Puppi... I know what you mean about it being a drug though. I read the prompt on Friday, and all through a busy weekend I was thinking about it. I finally settled down on Sunday and gave in.. You're right and like tim said I can post when inspiration strikes. 

Thanks again for being supportive and kind.. 

• Like 3

Hi All,

I attempted the O. Henry prompt, and AC tidied it up enough to make it presentable.. For that he has my unending thanks and gratitude. 

So let me me know if I did okay, where I faulted, you know... 

Rudolf lumbered, lost in thought on his way to the restaurant. For so long he had been content to just move along with his life without being a part of it. Never doing more than he had to. 

Today he had awakened with a feeling he couldn't shake. All he knew was there was this inexplicable need to do something, change his life around somehow. 

But what. Nothing exciting happened to him. For years he had worked the same job, ate the same dinner at the same restaurant. His home life was nothing special either.

As he followed the host to be seated he passed a laughing couple holding hands. He didn't even have love. Who would want him anyway? 

Absentmindedly, he looked down at the card in his hand. The Green Door it read. He had barely paid attention when the big African American man had given it to him. Now, it seemed all-important. His brow furrowed, but with determination he climbed the stairs of the dilapidated building. There was a single light in the distance that cast an eerie glow. Rudolf was reminded of the horror movies he so hated. He hesitated for a brief minute. His thoughts running over each other. 

“What am I thinking? When I said I wanted excitement I wasn't thinking I'd be murdered. Who would miss me anyway? What have I got to lose?”

Without quite knowing it, his feet had brought him closer to the light source. There it was. The Green Door. Expelling a deep breath, he turned the knob and stepped inside before he changed his mind. The room was dimly lit. There was nothing in it except for a table. He moved slowly toward it. 

"Welcome, Rudolf."  The voice out of the dark startled him and he squeaked, reaching out to the table for support. 

“Who are you; how do you know my name?”

“I know a lot about you, Rudolf. You don't need to be frightened. I'm here to help.”

The voice moved closer bringing with it a shadow figure of a man. Rudolf could see no features, and just as he opened his mouth to ask another question, the voice spoke again.

“Come, Rudolf. There are three rooms you must visit if you are to ever leave this place. If you do so, your life will never be the same.”

“What do you mean? What happens if I can’t?”

“You want love, excitement, adventure, don't you Rudolf?”

“Yes, but…”

“Then, you must.”

He followed the man just closely enough to pick up a scent of...woods. That was the best he could do to describe it. 

They entered a room and immediately Rudolf was reminded of his childhood. It was as if he entered his father's study. Everything was the same, even the stale smell of tobacco. There was the huge chessboard in the center. Rudolf sat. As he moved the pieces his mind absently wandered to his father, who had taught him to play. His father also had hopes for his future. He believed in Rudolf. Believed that he was capable of great things. There was a lot of advice given in that room to a young Rudolf. He closed his eyes and felt the warmth of his father's pride. It was quickly replaced by shame, as he thought how his father would now be disappointed. He moved the chess pieces around, easily winning the game. Eager to get away from the memories, he pushed the chair back. 

“What's next?” he asked hoarsely. 

“Come.”

He followed into the next room, which opened to an outdoor garden of sorts. A maze, which if he understood the explanation correctly, would take him to the next and final door. Looking around him, he realised this too was familiar. It was the scene from his last family holiday. Why would anyone want him to revisit the most painful time of his life? Swallowing around the lump in his throat, he hurried his steps to navigate the maze. As he rounded the corner, he was met with the laughter of a child. One that he recognized. Lida, his little sister. He followed the laughter, his eyes brimming with tears. How was that possible? His sister had been gone a very long time, along with his parents, but she was an unending source of joy. It was as if she'd always known she wasn't going to be around for very long. Every waking moment she spent following her brother who pretended to mind. She got him to play games and chase her for hours in the garden. He would read to her and she asked him questions like he knew the answer to it all, and he never failed her by way of explanation. She deferred to him in everything. Her hero worship and implicit trust in her brother made him believe he could do anything. He had vowed to be the best person he could be, if only to make her proud. Her laughter once lifted his spirits, but now …. Hearing it now made him sad. He ran through the maze, letting Li's laughter lead him. 

“Li! Li!” he called out. “Wait for me. I want to come with,” he cried.

The laughter faded and he stopped short. There was a bench so he sat, his head on his knees his body shaking with sobs. 

“Why do you cry, Rudolf?” the voice asked.

“I miss her so much. I...I failed both my father and her. Look at me.” He spread his arms wide and looked up miserably. 

A gasp escaped him as he realised how large the shadowed man really was looming over him. 

Chuckling, the man merely placed his hand on Rudolf’s shoulder. His touch was really light in spite of the huge size. As he urged Rudolf to stand, he was again hit with that strong woodsy scent. It didn't seem to come from the man, but it was there. It made Rudolf feel unsettled. He inhaled deeply, but the scent lingered, coiling in his stomach, awakening a feeling in him so long put to rest. He shifted uncomfortably. 

“Look, Rudolf.” The voice cut into his thoughts. “The last door. Go.” 

With a slight push forward, Rudolf moved to the door wondering what memory awaited him. Heaving a heavy sigh, he opened and stepped inside. 

It was his childhood bedroom. The single bed was made with the same cover, untouched, frozen in time. The last time he had been in here…. He walked to the bed and sat with his eyes closed, running his hand over the starched fabric. 

He smelt her before he heard her voice next to him. 

“Rudi."

“Mother.” He felt her arms wrap around him. Her fingers smoothing his hair as she did. Her voice whispered comforting words in his ear as he sobbed. She held him until the storm passed. 

“What happened to my Rudi?” she asked, pulling him away from her to stare into his face. 

He looked sadly at her expecting to find disgust and disappointment. Instead, he was met with tenderness. Her eyes filled with love. Always love. His mother, as he remembered, had always loved him. When he sat in this very room and cried his heart out to her because Antonin hadn't wanted to be his friend anymore. When he realised that he wanted Antonin to be more than just his friend, and when Lukas had broken his heart irreparably. She was always there, loving him through it, assuring him he would love again. That his somebody was out there, just waiting.

“I lost my way, Mother. I don't know who I am anymore. Why did you all leave me?”

Hot tears ran down his face. But now that the gates were opened, he couldn't stop. 

“I should have been with you. I was selfish and wanted a day to myself, and I paid for it with your lives. I should have been there too.... It should have....”

Her arms caught him again, stopping the pounding on the bed. 

“Hush, Rudi. You are not at fault. No one is to blame; it was an accident. Tragic, but it was an accident. I was happy you weren't there. That way you could go on and live. Live for us. But you're not living, Rudi. You can't go on like this. There's no love, no adventure no excitement or meaning in your life because you're not living.”

“How did you know?” Rudolf asked, shaking his head in confusion. 

“I know when my son is not happy. Promise me Rudolf, promise me you'll live.”

She called him Rudolf. He smiled because she only did that when she was serious about something. 

“I promise, Mother,” he said softly. 

She hugged him to her one more time. Then slowly disappeared, but he was left with the overwhelming feeling of love. 

Suddenly, the large shadow was back. 

“You did it, Rudolf. Are you ready to go out there and live?”

Rudolf sniffed, and nodded.

“Good. I promised your life would never be the same and it won't. Be happy, Rudolf.”

The large shadow man ushered him through yet another door. 

“Sir, are you ready to order?”

Rudolf looked up blankly into the waiter’s face. He was still in the restaurant. Shaking his head to clear it, he wondered how all of that had felt so real. He looked down at his hand and the card was there still, though crumpled. 

“I, I'll have the usual…. No, wait…. Can I have a minute more? I'd like to try something new.”

“Sure, I'll be back soon.”

Sliding out of his seat, Rudolf ran to the bathroom to clean his face. After making sure he was once again presentable, he walked back to his table. 

“Rudolf? Is that you?” 

Rudolf turned sharply, and stumbled into the man who had called out to him. Immediately, a familiar woodsy smell travelled up his nose and settled warmly over his heart. 

“Stan. Hi.” He steadied himself on the man’s arm, fingers bunching on his biceps. The warmth spread to his entire body.

“Are you coming or going? I’ve just had the most confusing thing happen. Can we share a table?” Stan looked stunned by the words tumbling out of his mouth, but he was saved when Rudolf readily agreed with a smile. 

“I'm glad we bumped into each other Rudolf. I've wanted to ask you out for a while now.”

“I'm glad we did too. Um…. It's early yet, do you want to take a walk?”

The two men walked outside into the cool air, both feeling that they’d always been together. Rudolf’s steps slowed, his face frowned as he looked over at the face of a large man handing out cards at the corner. There was something familiar….

“Everything okay, Rudolf!”

“Yes, yes. I thought I saw someone I knew.”

Turning away from the man, Rudolf completely missed the huge smile and wink the man directed at Stan. He smiled as Stan wrapped his own arm around Rudolf's elbow, and they headed out into the night. 

Years later, Rudi and Stan still had a hard time convincing their friends how they were brought together, each having a different experience, by a large man handing out cards inviting them to walk through a green door. But they told it at every dinner party, every anniversary party, and to anyone who would listen when they traveled. He didn’t mind that they didn’t believe, for he had all the love he could want, and more adventure than he could plan for. Whatever the mystery of The Green Door, it had brought him Stan and their life together.

I absolutely loved this, Def. You need to be RED! I was mesmerized throughout the story. Such great flow... we need more...

• Like 3

I think it's very cool that you responded to the prompt Def. I also like the story. When I reached the point walking to the table and suddenly there was the side step I went "hunh". The sense of disorientation was the perfect touch as place and time shifted. Congrats.

• Like 3

I absolutely loved this, Def. You need to be RED! I was mesmerized throughout the story. Such great flow... we need more...

Thank you Gary... I think Red might be the new Green.. Lol. 

I think it's very cool that you responded to the prompt Def. I also like the story. When I reached the point walking to the table and suddenly there was the side step I went "hunh". The sense of disorientation was the perfect touch as place and time shifted. Congrats.

Dugh! Thank you.. I have to give it to AC here. I had a line break to show the shift and he wisely suggested it would work better to leave it out. That it worked exactly as he predicted makes me happy and even more grateful for his guidance.. 

Btw, I have no more likes but I'll be back because I love that you all took the time to read and comment... 

Edited by Defiance19
  • Like 3

Very nicely done def! That both men were brought together by similar yet differing experience, each returning to seemingly the same point they left yet arriving together was an intriguing twist.

• Like 4

Very nicely done def! That both men were brought together by similar yet differing experience, each returning to seemingly the same point they left yet arriving together was an intriguing twist.

Thank you Kitt... I'm so excited that you read this and liked it... You all are making it so easy for me to believe I can take on more challenges.. I'm grateful.. 

• Like 2

I'm sorry I didn't comments on anything yet. Tim's story and Def's.  Migraine has me in its claws. I'll be back when it's better.

hope you feel better soon, adi!!

• Like 2

I'm sorry I didn't comments on anything yet. Tim's story and Def's.  Migraine has me in its claws. I'll be back when it's better.

Oh Adi, how well I understand. Hope you're better soon.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't dared to look at these short story prompts, because knowing AC's abilities I feared I would be tempted to take up the challenge. :lol: And I have enough stories crowding my life right now. :facepalm:

But I'll be back some time and perhaps I'll be inspired to write something, even if short stories are so very difficult for me. I get too attached to my characters. :*)

Oh, and I dare not read the other contributions because they might get in the way, same as the original story. But I promise I'll read them all later - and Def, congrats on taking on the challenge of red due to AC.

• Like 3
  • 2 years later...
24 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I started this last year, and just finished it a few moments ago. Now to send it off to my editing team. 🙂

YAY! I'm happy and looking forward to it :)

• Love 2
On 3/22/2019 at 9:18 AM, BHopper2 said:

Just got it back from tim. He says you'll like it. 🙂

I think it's terrific .. i can hardly wait for you to post it!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

I think it's terrific .. i can hardly wait for you to post it!!

Tomorrow, and I'm putting in in My Shorts - 2019, collection of prompts. I'll link it here when it's up.

• Like 1
  • Love 1