• Site Moderator

Back in the 80’s there was a hamburger/hot dog restaurant I used to go to on my lunch break (from my summer job) that sold foot long hot dogs. I have loved hot dogs with mustard and onions (the more the merrier, and to heck with what my breath smelled like lol) 

The cool thing about this family run operation that opened in 1930 and is still in business is that my dad (as I found out later) used to go there on his lunch break when he worked nearby in the 50s - how cool is that? 

It’s been spruced up since I went there (they no longer have paper plates on the wall as a menu board) but it looks like the graffiti-laden benches in the booths have survived. 

photo3jpg.jpg

easterbrooks-hotdog-stand.jpg

A smple of what hat you can have for lunch. :D 

our-tasty-lunch.jpg

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Back in the 80’s there was a hamburger/hot dog restaurant I used to go to on my lunch break (from my summer job) that sold foot long hot dogs. I have loved hot dogs with mustard and onions (the more the merrier, and to heck with what my breath smelled like lol) 

The cool thing about this family run operation that opened in 1930 and is still in business is that my dad (as I found out later) used to go there on his lunch break when he worked nearby in the 50s - how cool is that? 

It’s been spruced up since I went there (they no longer have paper plates on the wall as a menu board) but it looks like the graffiti-laden benches in the booths have survived. 

photo3jpg.jpg

easterbrooks-hotdog-stand.jpg

A smple of what hat you can have for lunch. :D 

our-tasty-lunch.jpg

yummola... yes please ...

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
27 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

No idea what that is.

A burger and shake place that's a national chain here in the states. Has a 1950's diner feel to it, and mostly in shopping malls.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

A burger and shake place that's a national chain here in the states. Has a 1950's diner feel to it, and mostly in shopping malls.

i see, thanks.  nope we dont have em here... Johnny's is the only one...

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator

Ch 3

I was just getting out of the van with my precious drink in hand, but to get the ramp out, I placed the cup on the ground.

"I'll hold it for you, Lous."

"Um, yeah no. You'll drink it."

Don just blinked at me. "Nice!"

"Don't give me the big innocent eyes, everyone knows the truth!"

:gikkle:   ... 🤗

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Site Moderator

I raised my eyes to his. He was nodding, his hand on my cheek. I wasn’t yet finished. “So yes, we may not be able to just hop into bed anytime we feel like it when Max is here. But, that will make these moments we share mean more, right? We will have to make the time to talk and be alone. Yeah, it will be different, but we will be richer in the end.”

Love this conversation...so, so real and it’s such a good way to showcase the goodness that is overflowing in Louis’s heart and mind. 

PS: What Louis says at the end? Absolutely true. 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Site Moderator

tim, you used a word in chapter three that I had never heard of, so natch, I felt the need to investigate said word. Oh yea, the word is...

Definition

ADJECTIVE

informal 
  • Silent; non-communicative.

Cool word...

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Site Moderator

So sorry...so not sorry for quoting so much, but I called this one, so I’m happy Tena Rena (overshooting again on the tablet :rolleyes:)  really is thinking this way... :D 

Rena reached for her son’s hand. “You two will be great. I’m happy with your choice, whatever it is, as long as I get to be foster grandmother.”

Robert was smiling. “Yeah, foster whatever I’d be works for me too.”

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

Ch 3

:gikkle:   ... 🤗

I don't know if people recall...that Don finished Louis' drinks on more than one occasion in the first book.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Site Moderator
14 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

I don't know if people recall...that Don finished Louis' drinks on more than one occasion in the first book.

Nope forgot that bit. Louis has his number than, so no hope for Don pulling off the innocent angel look. 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Haha 4
6 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Nope forgot that bit. Louis has his number than, so no hope for Don pulling off the innocent angel look. 

Yep. First on their date at the quarry. ...then again when they eat lunch at the mall...perogies I think...or cabbage rolls...I forget.

Night.. and hugs for you Reader. ..take care..snowing here.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Site Moderator

Don eyes were full of love. “You’re human. It’s just how you cope, don’t worry so much. You’ve had to change a lot; we both have. You do the brunt of the work around here. The horses, the garden, housework, plus your job. You forget, however, Lous, that you did the same when I could walk. You did it all so I could train or write. So, stop thinking you’re selfish. You are supportive and I am a very lucky man.”

It’s come to me now, that yes, Louis did do all those things before, but he did them because he wanted to. The component he has to has come into play. It’s much easier to do things and want to do things when they’re done without conscious thought, isn’t it? It was just as natural as breathing. Once Louis thought about it, though it was as easy as breathing. Course, if he’s not a morning person.... :P 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Companionable silence, no doubt. Each one lost in his own thoughts as to what today’s visit might bring to their world. 

i like those quiet times ... we do not always need to talk.  i can sit on the sofa next to Michael and there is no need to say anything. it is nice just being together.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
56 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Companionable silence, no doubt. Each one lost in his own thoughts as to what today’s visit might bring to their world. 

lots of car rides have been this way

50 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

i like those quiet times ... we do not always need to talk.  i can sit on the sofa next to Michael and there is no need to say anything. it is nice just being together.

and lots of evenings like this, doing our own things, reading or whatever, but still together

• Like 4
  • Love 1

i just re-read the chapter, i do that a lot

this stood out

I did and he slipped onto the sofa beside me. I snuggled into his shoulder, loving the scent of him. He held me tight, like he always had. He kissed the top of my head.

there's been a lot of talk about scent recently....

• Like 3
  • Love 2
Just now, Kitt said:

Humans often dont realize how important scent is in our daily interactions.  We process and react, but often never connect it to scent.

there are times that i swear i can smell my grandmothers hand lotion

she's been gone 24 years now

smell, scent, can trigger strong memories for me

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

i just re-read the chapter, i do that a lot

this stood out

I did and he slipped onto the sofa beside me. I snuggled into his shoulder, loving the scent of him. He held me tight, like he always had. He kissed the top of my head.

there's been a lot of talk about scent recently....

mmm... yes, scent i love Michael's ...  with or without His cologne ... i just love it and if i'm in a bad place. His scent is like home, it is safety.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
Just now, Mikiesboy said:

mmm... yes, scent i love Michael's ...  with or without His cologne ... i just love it and if i'm in a bad place. His scent is like home, it is safety.

when i get to Phil's drop off point in the afternoon, He gives me a big hug and smelling Him is part of that

it's the best way to get all of what happens at work or with traffic on the way home out of my brain

• Like 2
  • Love 3