• Site Moderator

“Can I go in?” I asked, though there was nothing I wanted to do less at that moment.

That seems like an odd thing to think, but really, it isn’t. I totally get all the meaning behind it. 
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

"I was thinking about family as the plane landed. I do have family here. They are warm, generous people, like most from this Province. People here know life can be hard, but they are generous to strangers. They’ve rescued Tamils from the seas and certain death. They took in those in need when planes were turned away from New York during the 9/11 attacks.

And there is the land itself; it is rocky, full of green, and it’s beautiful."

that alone, that description makes me want to go there!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Site Moderator
3 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

"I was thinking about family as the plane landed. I do have family here. They are warm, generous people, like most from this Province. People here know life can be hard, but they are generous to strangers. They’ve rescued Tamils from the seas and certain death. They took in those in need when planes were turned away from New York during the 9/11 attacks.

And there is the land itself; it is rocky, full of green, and it’s beautiful."

that alone, that description makes me want to go there!

molly, over the years I’ve heard lots of stories of the welcoming and friendly nature of the locals. Add that to the breathtaking landscape, and I want to go there, too. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator

“Louis, this is goodbye. Let me say what I want ta.” He smiled at me and I saw my father there, in his eyes.

After describing him physically, this was good to read. Reminds me of not “recognizing” my grandma as she lay on her hospital bed, but she was still there. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Site Moderator

My flight is Wednesday morning. Robert’s taking me to the airport. I found a small hotel not far from Laura’s—”

“There’s room here, babe!”

“I can’t handle all the stairs there. The hotel has got wheelchair access.”

“Feck, yes. I’m sorry.”

Brilliant! Forgetting the “details” in the moment. I totally get that, because one Christmas - I being polite and mannerly, but forgetting the “details”  - offered my SiL the platter of turkey being passed around - my vegetarian SiL... 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, Reader1810 said:

Brilliant! Forgetting the “details” in the moment. I totally get that, because one Christmas - I being polite and mannerly, but forgetting the “details”  - offered my SiL the platter of turkey being passed around - my vegetarian SiL... 

it is important to add certain details...to remember state of mind when writing, because it is easy to gloss over things, but the small things are important

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Site Moderator

A few seconds later I got a text: Don’t just sit there, get upstairs to bed! Muah xoxoxxo

Two things

1. Don knows his man well. This text flooded his man with love and something else I can’t quite find the word for - safety, surety knowledge he is not now and never will be alone, no matter what - something akin to this. 

2. Don got Louis to smile in the midst of his sadness - no doubt. 

I grinned and got to my feet. I turned off the lights, and climbed the stairs. Laura had left the hall light on for me.

See? Told ya. I hadn’t read that part yet, honest! 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

it's a place i'd like to visit for real ... more than anywhere else in Canada.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

I would think that beef, especially veal, would have been a much bigger faux pas!  ;–)

3 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I would think that beef, especially veal, would have been a much bigger faux pas!  ;–)

Hmmmm is Reader's SiL a member of PETA?   LOL

• Haha 4

Am I remembering correctly that Newfoundland is populated by a very high percentage of Scots and other Celts? In my mind, pronouncing the speech as if it were spoken with a Scottish accent fit. And to me, the descriptions of the land seem similar too.

But what do I know? I grew up among surfers and military brats. This CA is far removed from your CA!  ;–)

• Site Moderator

Hello Louis. Mr. Walker told me what happened. I’m really sorry. It’s so hard. I wanted to say I understand and I hope we can meet once you feel up to it again. Take care, Max

I wondered how our young friend would deal with this (specifically, no weekend visit). Looks like he’s handling it beautifully, and I can see this be part of a turning point for him, them...
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Site Moderator
2 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

So all we need to do is pass them a plate of turkey and they defect?  ;–)

I hadn’t thought of that being the causation, but you could be on to something. Hmm...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Am I remembering correctly that Newfoundland is populated by a very high percentage of Scots and other Celts? In my mind, pronouncing the speech as if it were spoken with a Scottish accent fit. And to me, the descriptions of the land seem similar too.

But what do I know? I grew up among surfers and military brats. This CA is far removed from your CA!  ;–)

Listen..

But the accent can be different in diff parts of the province.

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Site Moderator

I sipped from the glass of water which sat on the shelf in the lectern. Replacing it, I continued. “So, he told me that he was proud of me. We often think others know how we feel but I think he was saying we need to hear it. Please, if nothing else today, when you think about Gavin Taylor, remember to tell the people you love how you feel. He did, and it’s the best gift he ever gave me. Those words will last me a lifetime. Thank you.”

:heart: 

• Like 1
  • Love 3