Sci-fi makes for poor reading!

It might feature such thought-stretching concepts as time travel and warp drives, but reading science fiction actually makes you read more “stupidly”, according to new research.

In a paper published in the journal Scientific Study of Literature, Washington and Lee University professors Chris Gavaler and Dan Johnson set out to measure how identifying a text as science fiction makes readers automatically assume it is less worthwhile, in a literary sense, and thus devote less effort to reading it.

This is an interesting article and you can read it in full here: 

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/nov/23/science-fiction-triggers-poorer-reading-study-finds

• Wow 2
  • Angry 1

Thank you for sparking this discussion. The article poses thought-provoking questions on readers' thoughts when reading sc-fi. And it makes sense! If the reader is focused on the world the author is creating, they're missing out the on the "internal" world of the characters involved (thoughts and motives etc.).

Two sc-fi author that comes to mind is Octavia Butler and N.K. Jemisin. While they're both intentional about creating these well-developed settings, the characters they create and how they interact with each other is arguably one of their greatest strengths and are prominent themes in their work. To ignore these would make you lose out on in so much that is packed in their stories. For other sci-fi authors, this could be somewhat discouraging.

Edited by BDANR
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, BDANR said:

Octavia Butler

I love her work! My best friend recommended one of her books to me. It’s so sad she’s no longer with us to create new stories.

One problem I have with the overall field is the wild imbalance of gender – many stories seem to have been written in a world devoid of women. Others seem to lack ethnic diversity – as if the Nazis managed to conquer all of space! And there is a definite tendency towards heterocentrism – look at how many decades passed before Star Trek had its first explicitly Gay couple in it, but Star Wars fans have to acknowledge that their franchise still hasn’t managed that feat yet!

I know there are science fiction and fantasy writers who are women, People of Color, LBGTQ, and various combinations too. Andre Norton was a favorite of mine when I was in my twenties, although I thought she was a man due to her intentionally masculine nom de plume. Ursula LeGuin was also a favorite in my twenties. I’ve mentioned Samuel R Delany elsewhere. There are others I can't recall off the top of my head.

Many of the first science fiction/fantasy books I read were pretty sexist. I now have problems with the Robert Heinlein books I read – he’s much too much of a Libertarian for me! My very religious parents were happy to supply me with CS Lewis books, but as an Agnostic I have issues with the blatant religious content in his work (although I was much less aware of that when I was reading the books). Nearly all of the books were nearly or completely filled with white characters which made it difficult for this Person of Color to identify with some of them.

15 hours ago, William King said:

In a paper published in the journal Scientific Study of Literature, Washington and Lee University professors Chris Gavaler and Dan Johnson set out to measure how identifying a text as science fiction makes readers automatically assume it is less worthwhile, in a literary sense, and thus devote less effort to reading it.

It seems as though the participants were not all regular readers of genre fiction. As someone who has never read any of the books normally shelved in the Romance section, I would almost certainly be predisposed to make exactly those assumptions that the study participants did about science fiction stories! I’m not sure their methodology can accurately lead to the conclusions they came to.

My junior year in high school two of the books on the English Honors class reading list were 1984 and Brave New World. We were required to read both and write about the differing views of a future society. Georgetown University required some reading over the summer preceding my freshman year, one of the books on the list was Childhood's End. Three science fiction books by three different authors hooked me. Authors like Robert Heinlein, Orson Scott Card, and our own @Myr have successfully promoted/advanced their views using the genre to provide social commentary while entertaining. Childhood's End exposed me to Clarke and afterward, I couldn't read enough of him. Finding at least one reference to same-sex relationships in his stories cemented my love for his work. I believe were he still alive today, his sexuality would have played a larger role in his writing. He saturated his later works with people-of-color and female characters.

I find reading his books always makes me think. His is hard science fiction and my non-scientific mind struggles at times to grasp the concepts, but I love the way he uses the settings and science to deal with our humanity. Most of my work in the CJ series attempts to emulate this, using politics as the background for character development. Now, if I could do so even a hundredth as well as he did...

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Site Administrator

I think between @Cia and @jamessavik this topic is well answered.  @Carlos Hazday also touched on it as well.  Didn't Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land help kick off the Hippy 60's?

(and isn't fascinating how VERY different Stranger in a Strange Land is from Starship Troopers?)  Yet both are Sci-Fi.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I think it worth pointing out that a single study means nothing. It merely shows that one group reached certain conclusions based on their research.  It takes many others repeating the experiment, as well as checking the process used to actually verify a study as anything other than a curious anomaly. Now show me dozens of independent, quality controlled studies which bear out the same conclusion and I might take it seriously.  But as Cia pointed out, this study alone is seriously flawed, and is not likely to be corroborated in peer review.

Edited by Hermetically Sealed
  • Like 5

I'm not what you'd call a sci fi fan, i dont seek it out on purpose. Things with oddly weird names put me off, mostly because for me i cant pronounce them in my head, or remember them easily.

I am however a fan of a good story, no matter what planet it takes place on, or in what year. So in that sense, i can and have been a fan of some sci-fi. works. I have to agree with @Cia and @jamessavik.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

In 1933 Nazi's burned books in the street if they 'Thought' they went against their beliefs. This is not an isolated incident in 213bc the Chinese also burnt books,   here is a good link.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_burning       Maybe the (cough, cough ) author wants to add 2017 to the list and burn all Sci-fi and non fiction books as well.............How far has mankind come???? somehow I think people like this 'writer' have not even reached chapter 2 of the Book of life. I would have thought that non fiction escapism such as sci-fi and other non fiction be better than the 'real world' of destruction, sadness mind numbing boredom and misery that we read and see EVERY day in the media be it paper, internet ,tv or involved in our daily lives. I thought in the civilised world that all country's liberty and freedom of speech  was what wars were fought for and laws created, but in doing so you give a numpty like this author the same freedom. Sad world........................ 

• Love 1

Things are usually more subtle than book burning these days. Usually, in the cause of ‘protecting children’s innocent minds’ (they haven’t met the same kids I have!), they just restrict access or remove books from reading lists, one library or school at a time. If you do it quietly enough, no one notices what you’ve done and ‘controversial’ subjects like LGBTQ, non-christian religions, uncomfortable topics (like genocides committed by your country, civil wars that your side lost, leaders who have done things that are now illegal, etc), and other disruptive things just disappear!

Librarians and booksellers are typically very opposed to censorship. They maintain lists of banned books and the last week in September is devoted to highlighting the issue. This is a list of the most commonly challenged books in the US – note how often LGBTQ is the reason for the challenge (and be aware that LGBTQ is the unstated reason for others). I was required to read at least four of the books on the challenged list for English classes (that was more than four decades ago!).

• Site Administrator

I stopped counting at 20, the number of books on that list I read.  At least 5 of them were for school in English or History classes.

1 hour ago, droughtquake said:

Things are usually more subtle than book burning these days. Usually, in the cause of ‘protecting children’s innocent minds’ (they haven’t met the same kids I have!), they just restrict access or remove books from reading lists, one library or school at a time. If you do it quietly enough, no one notices what you’ve done and ‘controversial’ subjects like LGBTQ, non-christian religions, uncomfortable topics (like genocides committed by your country, civil wars that your side lost, leaders who have done things that are now illegal, etc), and other disruptive things just disappear!

Please do not devolve further into political content here.  If you want to shoot it out in the Pit, go ahead.  But this statement is not something that can be properly replied to without causing a back and forth that is best suited to The Pit.

• Like 1

I have a theory about banned books list. I think if a book is put on it, that is probably good for another million readers.

If I ever heard that a book was "banned", I had to read it to see what all the noise was about.

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...

The limitations of this study is by far monumental. Statistical variances are attributed to sample size, the demographic scale of the readers, the mental scope of the readers, and the quality of the book per se that was used to conduct the research. 

I'd doubt it if you'd let anyone read George Orwell's 1984 or H.G. Well's The Time Machine, that if the reader doesn't have the emotional maturity nor the mental providence to decipher the tight-fisted themes of those books, then it's safe to say that the reader will only capitalize on the glits and glamour of the 'Sciency' aspect of the read, without delving deeper on the thought provoking elements of what the novel wished to inculcate to its readers.

• Like 2
On 11/24/2017 at 5:14 AM, droughtquake said:

I love her work! My best friend recommended one of her books to me. It’s so sad she’s no longer with us to create new stories.

One problem I have with the overall field is the wild imbalance of gender – many stories seem to have been written in a world devoid of women. Others seem to lack ethnic diversity – as if the Nazis managed to conquer all of space! And there is a definite tendency towards heterocentrism – look at how many decades passed before Star Trek had its first explicitly Gay couple in it, but Star Wars fans have to acknowledge that their franchise still hasn’t managed that feat yet!

I know there are science fiction and fantasy writers who are women, People of Color, LBGTQ, and various combinations too. Andre Norton was a favorite of mine when I was in my twenties, although I thought she was a man due to her intentionally masculine nom de plume. Ursula LeGuin was also a favorite in my twenties. I’ve mentioned Samuel R Delany elsewhere. There are others I can't recall off the top of my head.

Many of the first science fiction/fantasy books I read were pretty sexist. I now have problems with the Robert Heinlein books I read – he’s much too much of a Libertarian for me! My very religious parents were happy to supply me with CS Lewis books, but as an Agnostic I have issues with the blatant religious content in his work (although I was much less aware of that when I was reading the books). Nearly all of the books were nearly or completely filled with white characters which made it difficult for this Person of Color to identify with some of them.

I like the writers who use strong female characters, or writers where equality is made obvious.  The late Anne McCaffrey wrote many strong female characters.  Alan E. Nourse had some back in the 1960s.  Addym Kehris (not yet well known) is now writing some sophisticated science fiction where women are equal and so is the LGBT community.  Alice Mary Norton legally changed her name to Andre Alice Norton to write as Andre Norton, a name most would assume was male, so editors would read and publish her work.  Would like to say more, but out of time.

• Love 1

While the study is interesting, I think it misses out on something: how does it categorize Science Fiction.

There are several sub-genres of science fiction, while space setting science fiction is most famous, the other settings like alternate universe Earth, a future or even non-human styled stories are just as important.

Point taken on the lack of strong female characters (I fixed that in book 2 of my story), but on the flip side popular movie franchises like Star Wars has flipped the script to compensate. The focus now is strongly aligned to the female characters, but it sacrifices the story in the process like Star Wars The Last Jedi's Admiral Holder, Rey, Rose, or even Leia's superman inspired scene.

Science fiction at its heart should not be about just the science or the crazy adventure, but the human condition of its characters. Classic sci-fi from its masters like Heinlein (he did more than Starship troopers), Frank Herbert (Dune is still a relevant social commentary on middle east as it was in 1970's), and Philip K. Dick (Artificial intelligence and government surveillance are now a reality, but he foretold it as a sci-fi writer and to me is a master of my subgenre).

While I started out as a Sci-Fi writer, I am more specialized now in the realm of Speculative fiction, the same kind that other writers like Dan Brown specializes. We're still considered Sci-Fi writers, but it's 70% modern fiction- 30% science fiction.

• Like 1