The Drop in Centre

Independence Day. 4th of July.

Times have changed and so have I. The older I get, the more I appreciate the freedoms I have. Many places in the world are vastly different. 

I don't delve into politics, it's too touchy a subject for many. But knowing that I can, if I chose to is something I appreciate. Every government has its flaws. The U.S. is no exception. Despite this, we still can express ourselves freely, no matter what our views. Freedom is often taken for granted. 

So, Happy 4th to all who are celebrating today. Enjoy a burger or a hot dog and don't forget the watermelon! 

Fireworks GIF

• Love 5
On 7/1/2021 at 7:12 PM, Mikiesboy said:

i hate it but when i screw something up and i have and i will again, i just go to my boss and say so. "I've made a mistake. I'm sorry."

The only response i've gotten from that is... okay, thanks for telling us, let's get this fixed.

I don't blame my shit on others.

This is the best way to handle things. i also do this with my Boss and she told me once “that is why they made erasers” so mistakes happen let’s learn from them.

• Like 5
45 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

hello @rickproehl

so good to see you here! hope you're feeling OK

take care

thanks molly 

yes feeling much better.

we are spending the day at a family cookout so looking forward to this.

i hope things are going good for you

you take care as well. 

• Love 4

Excuse me Good Sirs and DiC friends

hi and Good Afternoon 

went for a walk this AM at the Flood-wall and this wonderful buddy was just being lazy.

He look at me and his seem to say “ready for my Close Up” 

Stay Cool and Dry

5C3578DE-E9C5-4ACC-A1A9-78FA5227798E.jpeg

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

Excuse me Good Sirs and DiC friends

hi and Good Afternoon 

went for a walk this AM at the Flood-wall and this wonderful buddy was just being lazy.

He look at me and his seem to say “ready for my Close Up” 

Stay Cool and Dry

5C3578DE-E9C5-4ACC-A1A9-78FA5227798E.jpeg

He's adorable!

Unfortunately, cool and dry is going to be nonexistent in my neck of the woods for the next 2-3 days. It's hot and sunny now, but rain moving in right about when I need to drive home. 

Thanks for sharing Rick!

Hope everyone else has a good day!

• Like 3

Took the dogs for their walk tonight. Got onto the long street and thought "Wow, glad that rain is off in the distance." as I'm watching a downpour to the southeast. 

Yeah.... that was a fast moving storm. Made it 3/4 of the way home before the sky opened. Came around the last corner and saw my husband pulling out of our driveway.... then driving off in the opposite direction. He thought I did the short walk because my knees were bothering me. Nope... I stuck to the long route. 

Oh well.... I'm not gonna melt. Zeke went straight for my closet, which now smells like wet dog. Gonna have to Febreeze in there when he's dried off. 

Been quiet in here lately, hope everyone is doing okay. 

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator
37 minutes ago, kbois said:

Been quiet in here lately, hope everyone is doing okay

It’s been hot here, and when it’s not I’ve been weeding.

Oh, and we had high winds and heavy rain a couple of days ago. The storm snapped a branch - at least 3 inches in diameter - clean off the very tall Maple tree on our front lawn. It fell through the tree and is now hung up on the trunk quite high up. It’s long enough that its end branches - much smaller, thankfully - ended up crashing into the Rose of Sharon shrub/tree in front of the bay window. Good thing the branch got hung up or it might have hit the window.  I did manage to break off the smaller branches to free the Rose of Sharon, but the rest of it won’t budge, so a call has been put into the tree people to come deal with it. 

PS: My mom (who will be 88 next month) has asked more than once if we can handle it ourselves because my dad used a branch cutting thing on an extendable pole for situations like this. Given her age, and the fact she is now shorter than my 5’1”, and she’s never done anything like this before I keep telling her no, absolutely not. Never mind my brothers would have my hide if I let her try. 

*sigh* 

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

PS: My mom (who will be 88 next month) has asked more than once if we can handle it ourselves because my dad used a branch cutting thing on an extendable pole for situations like this. Given her age, and the fact she is now shorter than my 5’1”, and she’s never done anything like this before I keep telling her no, absolutely not. Never mind my brothers would have my hide if I let her try. 

*sigh* 

Your Mom sounds awesome! Almost 88 and ready to take on wayward tree branches 😆

• Like 5
  • Site Moderator
2 minutes ago, kbois said:

Your Mom sounds awesome! Almost 88 and ready to take on wayward tree branches 😆

Sadly, it’s more like living in a dream world. The branch is at least 10 to 12 feet off the ground, so there is zero chance of either of us bringing that branch down safely. Heck, we have two neighbours- one is really tall - who’d probably volunteer to do it, but my mom said no to that in case they got hurt. I mean, if she’s entertaining the idea that able bodied males might get hurt, what makes her ignore that as a possibility if one of us tried? 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Reader1810 said:

Oh, and we had high winds and heavy rain a couple of days ago. The storm snapped a branch - at least 3 inches in diameter - clean off the very tall Maple tree on our front lawn. It fell through the tree and is now hung up on the trunk quite high up. It’s long enough that its end branches - much smaller, thankfully - ended up crashing into the Rose of Sharon shrub/tree in front of the bay window. Good thing the branch got hung up or it might have hit the window.  I did manage to break off the smaller branches to free the Rose of Sharon, but the rest of it won’t budge, so a call has been put into the tree people to come deal with it. 

*sigh* 

No. Let the pros take care of it. Crazy short women! Wonderful and too dear to me, I'm glad you called for help. We enjoyed hail today!

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Reader1810 said:

*sigh* 

your mom sounds like a pistol! 

good luck holding her back until the tree people show up

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator
26 minutes ago, MichaelS36 said:

No. Let the pros take care of it. Crazy short women! Wonderful and too dear to me, I'm glad you called for help. We enjoyed hail today!

We’ve had the pros in before. They know exactly what they’re doing and they do it safely. Plus, they get rid of the debris. 

Hail we did not get, just two inches of heavy rain in a very short time. Oh, and high winds, of course. 

Edit: Wait a minute. You had hail today? It was really hot here, but sunny, but as I’m typing this I think I hear thunder…

13 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

your mom sounds like a pistol! 

good luck holding her back until the tree people show up

I’m not worried really. She’ll find out pretty quick if she tries holding the cutter thingie in the air that she’s out of her league. 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 4
9 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

but my mom said no to that in case they got hurt. I mean, if she’s entertaining the idea that able bodied males might get hurt, what makes her ignore that as a possibility if one of us tried? 

Maybe your mom is looking at this from a different perspective, and she's not ignoring anything. If your neighbor(s) get hurt they could sue the pants off of you. If one of you gets hurt, well then take a couple of aspirin and put some ice on it. Obviously, I don't know your mom or her situation, just examining a different possibility. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Kitt said:

Remind her that doing it yourselves mean you don't get to watch several no doubt well built men swinging through the trees. I have NEVER seen an overweight tree expert.

here in Ohio we have a few that have woman tree trimmers 

• Like 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..