The Drop in Centre

1 minute ago, kbois said:

Me too. I hold an advanced degree in that subject. We got an oil diffuser and some lavender oil which is supposed to promote restful sleep and my husband drops off like a ton of bricks while I lay there thinking  "hmmm, lavender smells nice."

Hopefully the zzzzz's won't stay away too long. 

You and me both or I spend Sunday doing nothing as I'm tired 😴 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
51 minutes ago, kbois said:

Me too. I hold an advanced degree in that subject. We got an oil diffuser and some lavender oil which is supposed to promote restful sleep and my husband drops off like a ton of bricks while I lay there thinking  "hmmm, lavender smells nice."

Hopefully the zzzzz's won't stay away too long. 

I have had that degree since the 1970's which makes it a long time since I could go right to sleep and stay asleep for 8 or more hours straight through. I go to bed sleepy and I just lay there and think that I was sleepy when I came to bed so why am I awake now so I read and get sleepy again and then it happens again. I do this for a few days then I sleep straight through for 8 or more hours and no one and I mean no one can wake me up cause I am so deep in sleep that I don't hear them. 

One time I was so deep in sleep that my sister came home from work when we were both in school and asked me to wake her up early to get a shower. She said I raised up and opened my eyes and said ok. I woke up at the regular time I always got up but never knew she talked to me. So never talk to me when I am asleep cause I will talk to you in my sleep and it will fly in one ear and out the other. I also guessed at the time I talked to her in my sleep! lol

Edited by Sherye
I needed to correct some things
  • Like 5
  • Site Moderator
2 hours ago, chris191070 said:

3am in the 🇬🇧 and I'm wide awake  

I hate insomnia 😑 

I feel your pain, Chris. 12:43 a.m. and I’m in the same boat as you. *sigh*

Oh, and discovered yet another roof shingle has been ripped off by a bloody raccoon. Grrrr! 

• Wow 4
5 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Oh, and discovered yet another roof shingle has been ripped off by a bloody raccoon. Grrrr! 

Oh no! I hate that you can not sleep. I also hate that another shingle has been ripped off by those PESTY raccoons! I heard that hot pepper, onion, garlic, peppermint oil, or even epsom salt are some ways of repelling them!

• Like 5
6 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

There's times i can't sleep. i hate it too. i've changed a few things for myself. Like only decafe when Michael and i have our afternoon coffee. i've changed the light setting on my laptop to 'night light' in the evenings so i'm less bothered by blue light.  i have been sleeping a bit better unless the dicks upstairs are screaming. Then i need to take melatonin and wear ear buds to bed .. like last night.

i bought melatonin drops but use much less than the recommended amount in a bit of water. It helps. The full dose leaves me in rough shape the next day.

i hope you all have a good day!!

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 5
  • Site Moderator
7 hours ago, Sherye said:

Oh no! I hate that you can not sleep. I also hate that another shingle has been ripped off by those PESTY raccoons! I heard that hot pepper, onion, garlic, peppermint oil, or even epsom salt are some ways of repelling them!

Tried the Epsom salts, but they didn’t work. I read vinegar is a deterrent, so I’ve been buying cleaning vinegar (10% acetic acid vs. cooking vinegar which has 5%) to mark the trees they climbed to get to the roof and the large half circle of dead grass where they marked “their” territory. That works well, but it always needs redoing after it rains. Sadly, this doesn’t stop the squirrels...

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 3

Another poem inspired me today:

Roses are red

Violets are blue

Coffee with cream

I think I love you

Have a great day everyone. I'm off to decorate and cook. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

Tried the Epsom salts, but they didn’t work. I read vinegar is a deterrent, so I’ve been buying cleaning vinegar (10% acetic acid vs. cooking vinegar which has 5%) to mark the trees they climbed to get to the roof and the large half circle of dead grass where they marked “their” territory. That works well, but it always needs redoing after it rains. Sadly, this doesn’t stop the squirrels...

I just read online there is a eviction fluid for raccoons and yes that is the name of the product you can buy.

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
3 hours ago, Sherye said:

I just read online there is a eviction fluid for raccoons and yes that is the name of the product you can buy.

There’s a local Outdoors store that sells fox urine, which raccoons really don’t like, but I thought living the gate open would be cheaper. I’m hoping the resident fox is curious enough to come in and leave his scent behind. So far, he’s playing coy...

• Haha 3
41 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

There’s a local Outdoors store that sells fox urine, which raccoons really don’t like, but I thought living the gate open would be cheaper. I’m hoping the resident fox is curious enough to come in and leave his scent behind. So far, he’s playing coy...

If you know where they're climbing you could try laying down a few scat mats on the ground. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SDCK7WJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_nkaXFbDP4HF55?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, kbois said:

If you know where they're climbing you could try laying down a few scat mats on the ground. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SDCK7WJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_nkaXFbDP4HF55?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

What I need is something like that I can wrap around the trunks of the trees - there are two of them - they use to get up to the roof. 

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

What I need is something like that I can wrap around the trunks of the trees - there are two of them - they use to get up to the roof. 

They're flexible,  I'm sure there's a way to secure them to a tree. Several sturdy bolts would probably work. 

It might look a little weird. 

Edited by kbois
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Reader1810 said:

A friend had good luck wrapping several foot of the tree trunk in stretched kitchen plastic wrap. I thought they would just shred it but starting about 2 ft off the ground and wrapping far enough  they can't reach over seemed to work.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Reader1810 said:

I just remembered something....

When I was a kid there was a massive gypsy moth invasion one summer. Everyone slathered the bottoms of the trees with Vaseline. The caterpillars got stuck and died. I'd suggest Vaseline on top of foil around the trees. Our oak trees had rings around them forever, although by the time I moved out they were 4 or 5 feet higher from where they started.

• Like 5

Excuse me Good Sirs and DiC friends.

Just wanting to say Good Evening

spent the day doing nothing. 

part of the day was just listening to silence. 

was tired of all the noise. 

everything is fine just needed some quiet time.

So how has your day been?

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

Excuse me Good Sirs and DiC friends.

Just wanting to say Good Evening

spent the day doing nothing. 

part of the day was just listening to silence. 

was tired of all the noise. 

everything is fine just needed some quiet time.

So how has your day been?

I had so many hopes and ambitions for today.....aaaaannnddd I ran out of steam somewhere between cooking chicken and the run to Walmart. Didn't get around to decorating..... that'll be next weekend.  But, I do have a huge batch of chicken I'm hoping will jump into individual containers all by itself. Two loaves of banana nut bread and a clean little dog. Don't ask. Let's just say its most definitely time to shave him down again. 🤦‍♀️

I'm glad you had a chance to enjoy the quiet. We all need it every now and again. Enjoy your evening!

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, kbois said:

I had so many hopes and ambitions for today.....aaaaannnddd I ran out of steam somewhere between cooking chicken and the run to Walmart. Didn't get around to decorating..... that'll be next weekend.  But, I do have a huge batch of chicken I'm hoping will jump into individual containers all by itself. Two loaves of banana nut bread and a clean little dog. Don't ask. Let's just say its most definitely time to shave him down again. 🤦‍♀️

I'm glad you had a chance to enjoy the quiet. We all need it every now and again. Enjoy your evening!

About the jumping into containers? Have some of the chicken and banana nut bread to jump into a container for me! lol

• Haha 5
  • Site Moderator
2 hours ago, Kitt said:

A friend had good luck wrapping several foot of the tree trunk in stretched kitchen plastic wrap. I thought they would just shred it but starting about 2 ft off the ground and wrapping far enough  they can't reach over seemed to work.

I wondered about that as an option, so thanks for the tip on how to do it. I do believe we have enough that I could try this. Will have to be Wednesday, though because we’re supposed to get two days of rain/snow, which I’m hoping will keep the squirrels from scampering around on the roof. It’s amazing how loud those little critters can get just running around. 

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, rickproehl said:

@Reader1810 idea for Raccoons have you tried Moth Balls? they also hate anything hot spices have you tried jalapeño peppers? Just a couple of ideas.

Moth Balls we don’t have, and we tried cayenne pepper, but they scoffed at that. This particular pair must like spicy food. 😒

• Like 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..