The Drop in Centre

3 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

Just had a peek outside. The snow is so light, I can’t see it coming down, but there is a blanket of it covering the ground, so I guess the snow is real. *sigh* 

Boooooo.  I am so grumpy when it comes to snow. But I can't imagine leaving my brother or my job so I guess I'm never moving down south again 

• Like 4

Because I just can't leave things alone...

Yesterday my son got called into work for 3 (he was scheduled for 5). After I dropped him off, got home, settled in and was thinking about a nice shot or two of whiskey, he texted me and asked if I  could get him some Subway. *sigh*

Me, being the good Mom that I am 🤭, said sure and told him to text me what he wanted. 

A foot long. He wanted a foot long..........

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Site Moderator
38 minutes ago, kbois said:

Yesterday my son got called into work for 3 (he was scheduled for 5). After I dropped him off, got home, settled in and was thinking about a nice shot or two of whiskey, he texted me and asked if I  could get him some Subway. *sigh*

Me, being the good Mom that I am 🤭, said sure and told him to text me what he wanted. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

:facepalm:

• Haha 5
  • Site Moderator
44 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

Excuse me Good Sirs and DiC friends.

Just wanting to say good afternoon.

things going good for everyone?

How has your day been?

Good evening, rick. How was your day? I hope it was a good one. 

As for me? I just got back from my walk. I stopped at the hardware store and picked up some cleaning vinegar (10% acetic a acid) to deter - yes, it does work, but you need to replenish the scent after awhile - the raccoons from climbing on the roof and pulling up shingles in an attempt to get in the attic. A couple of weeks ago, I found a fairly large piece of a single on the ground. The roofer came, and found three spots where the little devils had torn off a shingle and/or a piece of a single. All repaired now, and I’m hoping it stays that way. 

The first dose of vinegar worked for about a week as they returned last night. I went outside at 12:44 a.m. - yep, they woke me up - to chase them away by flashing the outside lights on and off, because, apparently, they don’t like strobe lights. Thankfully, it worked, and I’m hoping tonight’s dose of vinegar will work a little longer being it’s twice the strength as the first time.

Oh, and I saw the fox again. :D 

okay, that’s it for me rambling. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Reader, it’s cold outside and the raccoons are cold.... never heard of the vinegar - we live next door to the CAT lady she feeds stray cats - (9) of them and they run the neighborhood. The sad thing is we have a pair of husky’s that don’t like cats. So we have to watch before we let the dogs out they have chased and caught a cat or 2 . The sad thing we have to have our dogs registered but cats nope nothing. we have asked nicely to maybe stop but it works for a couple of days.  so good luck on the raccoons 

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

Reader, it’s cold outside and the raccoons are cold.... never heard of the vinegar - we live next door to the CAT lady she feeds stray cats - (9) of them and they run the neighborhood. The sad thing is we have a pair of husky’s that don’t like cats. So we have to watch before we let the dogs out they have chased and caught a cat or 2 . The sad thing we have to have our dogs registered but cats nope nothing. we have asked nicely to maybe stop but it works for a couple of days.  so good luck on the raccoons 

I'm with you on the "crazy lady feeding all the cats in the neighborhood". We have a few of those in the community I work at. No matter how many notices you give them they keep feeding the feral cats. Although ever since the coyotes moved into the neighborhood,  there doesn't seem to be as many cats around. 🤫

My older son wants to get a dog next summer after they move. He told me that he needed a dog because he was starting to actually like his girlfriend's cat and he's afraid he'll become a 'cat person. 😄

I've never heard of vinegar to repel trash bandits 🦝 either. It's worth a shot!

Have a good night!

• Like 4
3 hours ago, kbois said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nothing wrong with a foot long if you can handle 12 inches!!!

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Reader1810 said:

Good evening, rick. How was your day? I hope it was a good one. 

As for me? I just got back from my walk. I stopped at the hardware store and picked up some cleaning vinegar (10% acetic a acid) to deter - yes, it does work, but you need to replenish the scent after awhile - the raccoons from climbing on the roof and pulling up shingles in an attempt to get in the attic. A couple of weeks ago, I found a fairly large piece of a single on the ground. The roofer came, and found three spots where the little devils had torn off a shingle and/or a piece of a single. All repaired now, and I’m hoping it stays that way. 

The first dose of vinegar worked for about a week as they returned last night. I went outside at 12:44 a.m. - yep, they woke me up - to chase them away by flashing the outside lights on and off, because, apparently, they don’t like strobe lights. Thankfully, it worked, and I’m hoping tonight’s dose of vinegar will work a little longer being it’s twice the strength as the first time.

Oh, and I saw the fox again. :D 

okay, that’s it for me rambling. 

Try putting a threeway motion detector where you are putting the vinegar. They hate light so if the motion detector light comes on when it detects them then maybe they will stay away as well as the vinegar will too! They will eventually stop coming around. The reason I had raccoons was cause I was feeding stray cats outside and they kept coming up on my porch to get the food. When I stopped feeding them, plus my female border collie has killed some, then they stay away.

Edited by Sherye
  • Like 5
  • Site Moderator
3 minutes ago, Sherye said:

Try putting a threeway motion detector where you are putting the vinegar. They hate light so if the motion detector light comes on when it detects them then maybe they will stay away as well as the vinegar will too! They will eventually stop coming around. The reason I had raccoons was cause I was feeding stray cats outside and they kept coming up on my porch to get the food. When I stopped feeding them, plus my female border collie has killed some, then they stay away.

The light in the backyard is being left on all night, and that seems to help. Will keep your idea in reserve if the vinegar stops being an effective deterrent. Fox urine is supposed to deter them - there’s places that actually sell it :o - so I’m leaving the gate open for our resident fox to leave his scent in the yard if he so chooses. *fingers crossed* 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

The light in the backyard is being left on all night, and that seems to help. Will keep your idea in reserve if the vinegar stops being an effective deterrent. Fox urine is supposed to deter them - there’s places that actually sell it :o - so I’m leaving the gate open for our resident fox to leave his scent in the yard if he so chooses. *fingers crossed* 

I heard a nice meal or treat might help .. 

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator
5 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

I heard a nice meal or treat might help .. 

I thought of that l, but then I thought “what if that encourages the raccoons?”

Just going to have to leave it to him venturing in out of curiosity. 

• Love 2

Foxes share the same ecological niche as raccoons....both are predators and scavengers....foxes will devour small, young raccoons if given a chance. Foxes are high-level predators that hunt a wide variety of animals, including raccoons, rabbits and snakes.

I got this from google

• Love 2
  • Site Moderator
32 minutes ago, Sherye said:

Foxes share the same ecological niche as raccoons....both are predators and scavengers....foxes will devour small, young raccoons if given a chance. Foxes are high-level predators that hunt a wide variety of animals, including raccoons, rabbits and snakes.

I got this from google

My neighbours have spotted the fox catching squirrels, but nothing else so far. I’ve seen squirrels, raccoons, rabbits, and now foxes. I wonder what I’ll see next? 🤔

• Wow 4
8 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Have a good day all of you.

Today the paper is full of news about younger people suffering mentally due to COVID.  It's  not easy, I know.  I've had days of depression due to it, but we need to adapt and to fight it. Find a way around these feelings.  For me, writing is not part of that. i may never write again, but i don't know. Wanting to write and then not caring if i do, hurt for a long time and the weight of that dragging me down, is why i took up a new craft, at least for now.

COVID is going to test us in many ways. We cannot sit and wait for it. We need to find our way and we need to stay strong, in spite of it.

Thank you for this encouragement. It's true. Almost everyone I know is on the verge of a mental collapse due to the stress of this pandemic. Friends. Family. No one is exempted. But I saw it in a slightly harsher way. COVID really exposed our inner discontentment because we have depended too much on the things of the outside world. Don't get me wrong. We all need the affections from our friends. Being forced to stay indoors for our safety isn't a joke. I just wanted to point out that when we have lost almost everything that we've been used to, who are we really? What are the small valuable things we have overlooked for so long? Have we been entitled all this time? *cries in existential crisis*

Edited by Solus Magus
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
  • Site Moderator
11 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Have a good day all of you.

Today the paper is full of news about younger people suffering mentally due to COVID.  It's  not easy, I know.  I've had days of depression due to it, but we need to adapt and to fight it. Find a way around these feelings.  For me, writing is not part of that. i may never write again, but i don't know. Wanting to write and then not caring if i do, hurt for a long time and the weight of that dragging me down, is why i took up a new craft, at least for now.

COVID is going to test us in many ways. We cannot sit and wait for it. We need to find our way and we need to stay strong, in spite of it.

Finding something new you like to do is a good way to fill the hours - and hone a new skill.

Without COVID, I probably wouldn’t have discovered how much satisfaction I derive from taking care of the garden and yard. Then again, getting to play with new toys - the leaf blower/mulcher has been fun. 

PS: tim, I really like your new craft, and that you’re making something for your nephew makes it that more special. Oh, and  those Christmas balls are really cool, too. :) 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Site Moderator
4 minutes ago, Sherye said:

Maybe this will help if you can not see them in the flesh!

th.jpg

I admit to being one of just 1000s - from all over the world - who subscribes to the YouTube channel “Chunk the Groundhog”. His table manners may be atrocious, but he sure is cute. During the night camera scenes an opussum visits to partake in the feast set out by ‘Farmer Jeff’. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..