The Drop in Centre

Took SP in for his thyroid treatment this afternoon.  They failed to tell us until this afternoon that he can't be in close contact w. anyone (or anything - like our dog) for the next three days.  Had to get paper plates and disposable utensils & cups for him.  Will be sleeping in different rooms.  Keeping Little Girl away from him will be the hardest.  :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
9 minutes ago, Fae Briona said:

Took SP in for his thyroid treatment this afternoon.  They failed to tell us until this afternoon that he can't be in close contact w. anyone (or anything - like our dog) for the next three days.  Had to get paper plates and disposable utensils & cups for him.  Will be sleeping in different rooms.  Keeping Little Girl away from him will be the hardest.  :(

oh.. yeah i've heard of that someone in MIchael family went thru that..

• Like 5
  • Site Moderator
12 minutes ago, Fae Briona said:

Hopefully, the time flies by for all of you. :hug: 

• Like 5

Do you have a favorite kitchen appliance or utensil?

Back 4-5 years ago or so I came across an actual Disney Frozen Ice Cream Maker in a grocery store. List price was in the neighborhood of $30, it was on sale for $10. I had never purchased one of these, always just bought my own ice cream but I remembered back as a kid how good the ice cream tasted, at least in my memory, when my grandparents used to make it using one of those hand cranked ones where you put ice and salt in.

So I bought it and it's the best thing ever. It holds a little over 3 cups (2 cream, 1 milk) plus the added ingredients. I'm a chocolate person so it's always chocolate for me. I use it sometimes twice a week, if it ever stopped working I'd have to get a new one.

I'm just getting used to my Instant Pot, it may be a good one also but nothing can outdo the ice cream maker!

Just getting ready to head down and make some now, mixed up the base last night. It does better if the base is cold before you start to churn it up. When done and solidly frozen the texture is like Haagen Daas, very hard. Not full of air like the store bought cheap stuff.

disneyicecreammaker.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Ryan Jones said:

Back 4-5 years ago or so I came across an actual Disney Frozen Ice Cream Maker in a grocery store. List price was in the neighborhood of $30, it was on sale for $10. I had never purchased one of these, always just bought my own ice cream but I remembered back as a kid how good the ice cream tasted, at least in my memory, when my grandparents used to make it using one of those hand cranked ones where you put ice and salt in.

So I bought it and it's the best thing ever. It holds a little over 3 cups (2 cream, 1 milk) plus the added ingredients. I'm a chocolate person so it's always chocolate for me. I use it sometimes twice a week, if it ever stopped working I'd have to get a new one.

I'm just getting used to my Instant Pot, it may be a good one also but nothing can outdo the ice cream maker!

Kitchen Aid stand mixer born in 1987. It has never failed and you can get a good arm workout just by lifting it. I can tell when dough is ready simply by the sound that it makes when the dough hook throws it against the metal bowl. If I move, it moves with me. 

Instant Pot is a runner up, but that's saying a lot. 

• Like 5
12 hours ago, Ryan Jones said:

I inherited my dad's kitchen knife. It's over 65 years old. The blade is about 6 inches long and so thin I'm afraid it's going to snap one day, but it's sharp as hell and can halve a chicken breast in about 2 seconds. 

Instapot and crackpot are mighty handy too. 

I do miss my old hand mixer though...

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Site Moderator
7 minutes ago, kbois said:

I inherited my dad's kitchen knife. It's over 65 years old. The blade is about 6 inches long and so thin I'm afraid it's going to snap one day, but it's sharp as hell and can halve a chicken breast in about 2 seconds. 

That’s cool you inherited an old knife from your dad.

I have an old bread knife - long blade with a serrated edge - that was a wedding gift to my mother’s parents. I just realized it will be 95 years old this year.

I have wondered sometimes about the quality of the metal - I think it’s steel, but I don’t know for sure - that was used for such things back in the day. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

They should have a smile “like” because this made me smile. :) 

Its not a gadget (oops, yes it is so say the dictionary :P ), but what came to mind is a heavy metal potato masher that I remember being around when I was younger. I hope we still have it, because it certainly got the job done. 

Need to root through a certain kitchen drawer.

Oh, and @Ryan Jones has me wanting an ice cream maker...

I have one of those heavy metal potato mashers. It was bought by my parents right after they got married so that would be 70 years ago. I don't use it for potatoes anymore, now I use my hand mixer because I like them really smooth. I use the leftovers to make potato cakes for breakfast. What I use my heavy metal potato masher for is to make sure my ground beef is in the smallest pieces possible for making tacos. It really works well to separate the meat up.

Edited by Ryan Jones
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, kbois said:

That's a cool item to have. I have my grandparent's silverware that they got in 1920 as a wedding present. Not plated, actual 925 stamped silver. It's still in the wooden case that it came in. Have never used it, maybe later this year if the pandemic cooperates we can use it at my wedding to Justin. Was supposed to be this year but his grandparents insist that we have a big wedding so hopefully later this year. 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, spyke said:

Kitchen Aid stand mixer born in 1987. It has never failed and you can get a good arm workout just by lifting it. I can tell when dough is ready simply by the sound that it makes when the dough hook throws it against the metal bowl. If I move, it moves with me. 

Instant Pot is a runner up, but that's saying a lot. 

I pretty much only use the Kitchen Aid for cookies and meringue. I used to make bread but decided that the store bought frozen uncooked loaves worked just as well for me since we are not adventurous eaters. Normal old white bread is fine. I have a bread machine, used to buy the mix from Walmart. I almost never step into a Walmart so when I'd have to go I'd buy every box on the shelf.

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
2 hours ago, Ryan Jones said:

What I use my heavy metal potato masher for is to make sure my ground beef is in the smallest pieces possible for making tacos. It really works well to separate the meat up.

This reminded me we used to have a meat grinder to make ground beef that attached to a table with a clamp. I can see myself in the basement - never clamped it to the kitchen table - watching it being used. Sadly, we stopped using it and it was sold at a garage prior to moving when I was a kid. 

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator

I pretty much only use the Kitchen Aid for cookies and meringue. I used to make bread but decided that the store bought frozen uncooked loaves worked just as well for me since we are not adventurous eaters. Normal old white bread is fine. I have a bread machine, used to buy the mix from Walmart. I almost never step into a Walmart so when I'd have to go I'd buy every box on the shelf.

We used the frozen store bought bread in place of pizza dough. Thaw it and spread it out on a cookie sheet, and there’s the pizza base done. I keep meaning to try that again, but keep forgetting about it when it’s time to shop. 

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator

That's a cool item to have. I have my grandparent's silverware that they got in 1920 as a wedding present. Not plated, actual 925 stamped silver. It's still in the wooden case that it came in. Have never used it, maybe later this year if the pandemic cooperates we can use it at my wedding to Justin. Was supposed to be this year but his grandparents insist that we have a big wedding so hopefully later this year. 

I have my paternal grandparents silverware - real silver it is. If it was a wedding gift - not sure of its origin, but in their case, that seems like.y - it’s from 1919. 

My most prized possession is a quilt my great grandmother made. It’s over 100 years old by now. It’s getting in rough shape - fabric is shredding - so until I can get my SiL to patch it again, I leave it folded up to protect it. 

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

I have my paternal grandparents silverware - real silver it is. If it was a wedding gift - not sure of its origin, but in their case, that seems like.y - it’s from 1919. 

My most prized possession is a quilt my great grandmother made. It’s over 100 years old by now. It’s getting in rough shape - fabric is shredding - so until I can get my SiL to patch it again, I leave it folded up to protect it. 

That's so cool!

I have my grandma's china cabinet that she got as a wedding gift. It's almost 100 years old, sturdy as hell.  Lost the original skeleton key during one of our moves, but found a replacement at a flea market. It had a matching buffet table that my parents ended up leaving behind when they moved to FL and last year the house I grew up in had a fire which destroyed the enclosed porch where we had kept it so I'm not sure if it survived or not. There's been a couple of owners since they moved and I have no idea who had it last. 

It's awesome to read about everyone's favorite heirlooms. 

It's rainy here today so I hope everyone else has a good day! 

Edited by kbois
  • Like 3
45 minutes ago, kbois said:

It's awesome to read about everyone's favorite heirlooms. 

It's rainy here today so I hope everyone else has a good day! 

my cast iron is mostly heirloom. Mom & Dad bought a house with an induction cooktop & couldn't use it anymore so they shipped their remaining pieces to me. that rounded out my collection.

the sun is out here, it'll be about 70 today. Phil wants to take a drive, He had me pack up the cooler with snacks & we'll leave shortly. no idea what He has in mind but it should be a nice day

y'all take care

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator
19 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

the sun is out here, it'll be about 70 today. Phil wants to take a drive, He had me pack up the cooler with snacks & we'll leave shortly. no idea what He has in mind but it should be a nice day

Enjoy your outing, molly. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Reader1810 said:

This reminded me we used to have a meat grinder to make ground beef that attached to a table with a clamp. I can see myself in the basement - never clamped it to the kitchen table - watching it being used. Sadly, we stopped using it and it was sold at a garage prior to moving when I was a kid. 

Not only do I have my great grams meat grinder, I use it regularly to make sausage. Works way better than the electric hubby bought a few years back. After the third time in the same sausage batch we had to take the electric grinder apart to clear a jam, he admitted defeat and stopped complaining about being the "motor".

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Site Moderator
17 minutes ago, Kitt said:

Not only do I have my great grams meat grinder, I use it regularly to make sausage. Works way better than the electric hubby bought a few years back. After the third time in the same sausage batch we had to take the electric grinder apart to clear a jam, he admitted defeat and stopped complaining about being the "motor".

A manual grinder is more work, but it’s defo more satisfying to accomplish the task using one’s own power. 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, kbois said:

I have my dad's carving knife. It's very long and thin and is about 1 1/2 inches in  height. If you're patient, you can cut paper thin slices of ham. YUM!!  

Oh and kbois, why do you have a crackpot in your house? Don't you have enough of them at work? 🤣

• Haha 3
55 minutes ago, spyke said:

I have my dad's carving knife. It's very long and thin and is about 1 1/2 inches in  height. If you're patient, you can cut paper thin slices of ham. YUM!!  

Oh and kbois, why do you have a crackpot in your house? Don't you have enough of them at work? 🤣

Whoops...either butterfingers or my good friend autocorrect. Probably butterfingers. 

I had another crackpot this week. Guy comes in and right off the bat had an attitude. Blasted me for the 'no guest' policy at the pool which I have no control over...it's per upper management. This guy won't listen and keeps interrupting. After a couple of minutes I couldn't be bothered anymore and just kept repeating (nicely) that I wasn't going to debate or argue with him anymore. I must have repeated it 4 or 5 times. He got mad because I wouldn't engage with him anymore and as he left I heard him mutter 'fuck you bitch'. 

The guy comes in the next morning and apologizes for his behavior. Said he should have never treated me so horribly (his words). He was embarrassed that he had been such an asshole (my words). 

Just another day in my wonderful world of crackpots!

• Like 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..