The Drop in Centre

I have no family heirloom items.  I wasn't and am not  close with the majority of them, on both sides.  

My favorite appliance is my hot water kettle.  I'd say coffee pot but the one I have was a quick replacement buy and I actually hate it Lol 

• Like 5

The only family heirloom I have is my Grandad's camera. It's probably about 40 years old. It's a Kodak that I've never used, just keep for who it belonged to. The last thing to remember by grandparents by.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, kbois said:

Whoops...either butterfingers or my good friend autocorrect. Probably butterfingers. 

I had another crackpot this week. Guy comes in and right off the bat had an attitude. Blasted me for the 'no guest' policy at the pool which I have no control over...it's per upper management. This guy won't listen and keeps interrupting. After a couple of minutes I couldn't be bothered anymore and just kept repeating (nicely) that I wasn't going to debate or argue with him anymore. I must have repeated it 4 or 5 times. He got mad because I wouldn't engage with him anymore and as he left I heard him mutter 'fuck you bitch'. 

The guy comes in the next morning and apologizes for his behavior. Said he should have never treated me so horribly (his words). He was embarrassed that he had been such an asshole (my words). 

Just another day in my wonderful world of crackpots!

At least he apologized later.

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, Fae Briona said:

At least he apologized later.

Yeah...that was nice of him. I appreciated it and told him so. Started Friday out on the right note. 

Have a good day everyone!

• Like 4
On 3/7/2021 at 6:44 PM, kbois said:

It's been an introspective kind of day today. This is a little long, but it's where my thoughts went. 

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. Mostly about where I am in my life. 

Like so many people who've reached the 50+ milestone I look back at my younger self and recognize I'm no longer the person I was back then. 

Which is a good thing.

In my teens I was so insecure, trying so hard to fit in to what was 'normal'. It worked for the most part. I wasn't part of the popular clique, but I wasn't a social pariah either. I sorta floated along somewhere in the middle.

Early 20s I was figuring out how to be independent from my parents and how to make a relationship work. It wasn't easy. I got married at 24 and nearly threw in the towel several times. My career changed direction for a while before drifting back to what I went to college for.

My 30 something self was hell bent on not totally fucking up the two creatures my body created and forced out into the world. The jury's still out on that one. Parenting is the toughest job one will ever have.

My 40s saw me change a lot. Probably the most. At least I think so. I finally gained a sense of maturity that can only come with 4 decades of life being thrown at you. As I approached my 50s I was able to find a small sense of confidence I never had before. Things that really bothered me I was able to either let go of, or move on from. I came to an understanding with myself about religion and I'm totally at peace now with letting go of everything that had been ingrained in me since birth. 

Hitting 50 makes you realize that in all likelihood you have more years behind you than ahead. Two years in and I have no clue about where I'm headed in many ways. But....I now have a job where I'm challenged on a daily basis, I'm trying to work on improving my physical health and I've made peace with cutting certain people out of my life completely and pulling away to a safe distance from others. I know how to say no. 

So many things have happened, I've changed jobs and career paths several times. I've quit, I've been fired. I've moved more times than I can remember, and can drive a 26ft box truck towing a car 1500 miles without batting an eyelash. Financially I've struggled, but am now at the point where the bills get paid on time (mostly) and there's enough left over to enjoy some little luxuries like getting a pedicure. 

Do I still have insecurities and moments of 'what the hell am I doing?' Of course. Are there things I  still need to work on? Yup. Plenty of them. I still get angry quickly, usually vomiting out a bucketful of profanities as a knee jerk reaction. It's getting better though. 

My marriage is another uncertainty for me. I've changed and so has he. We're still trying to figure it out. No matter what happens we'll deal with it as the people we are now. 

Is my 13 year old self still there? Yes. She comes out once in a while, mostly when alcohol is involved. I truly believe that you need to hold onto a piece of your youth. It's a reminder of simpler times and it's a measure of how far you've come. 

My roots tell the truth. There's much more gray than brown, a sure sign of middle age. But I'll keep the gray at bay with some hair color and I'll keep my mind young not be dwelling on the past but by learning from it. 

Aging is a fact. Don't fight it. Embrace it. Grow from it. 

That was very interesting. I had a different type of life than most people but this made me go back and think about things that happened, the age I was at and how it affected me. I might write my own version of this for personal viewing.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ryan Jones said:

That was very interesting. I had a different type of life than most people but this made me go back and think about things that happened, the age I was at and how it affected me. I might write my own version of this for personal viewing.

I'm glad I made you think. Looking back and recognizing how much you've changed is fascinating. There are so many things about my younger self that makes me cringe, but I'm proud of how far I've come and how I'm a better person than who I was. (At least I hope I am)

I'd love to get some input from the rest of the gang. It's fun to get some other perspectives. 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

Excuse me Good Sirs and DiC friends.

Just thought i would drop in and wish everyone a “Good Morning”. 

Things are better. 

Seeing positive changes.

Take Care

hey rick!

seeing your name gave me a smile

glad you are seeing changes! it can be hard to remember that it's not a sprint, it's a marathon :hug:

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

Things are better. 

Seeing positive changes.

Take Care

Good to hear from you rick. I've missed your daily check ins. I'm so glad things are looking better for you. One day at a time my friend, you'll get there. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, rickproehl said:

Things are better. 

Seeing positive changes.

Take Care

Good to hear from you Rick x

• Like 1
5 hours ago, kbois said:

Good to hear from you rick. I've missed your daily check ins. I'm so glad things are looking better for you. One day at a time my friend, you'll get there. 

yes it getting better thanks 

4 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Good to hear from you Rick x

Chris how are you doing? 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mollyhousemouse said:

hey rick!

seeing your name gave me a smile

glad you are seeing changes! it can be hard to remember that it's not a sprint, it's a marathon :hug:

Thanks molly 

small changes have helped out.

so slow and steady wins this .

so i hope things are going good for you?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, rickproehl said:

yes it getting better thanks 

Chris how are you doing? 

I'm doing ok. Getting better slowly, still in pain, so on pain meds. Otherwise just have to wait for follow up treatment.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Why are oranges so much work??

Bananas are easy to peel. Apples...just bite into them. Berries...eat 'em by the handful. 

But oranges? Nooooo....you have to peel the orange part off which takes forever. Then you have to painstakingly remove all the yellowy white stuff, because, ewwww. So much work for such a little fruit. 

Hope everyone is having an easy week. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Site Moderator
20 minutes ago, kbois said:

Bananas are easy to peel. Apples...just bite into them. Berries...eat 'em by the handful. 

But oranges? Nooooo....you have to peel the orange part off which takes forever. Then you have to painstakingly remove all the yellowy white stuff, because, ewwww. So much work for such a little fruit. 

I rarely eat oranges, but when I do, I find rolling it around - while pressing down on it with the palm of my hand - on the counter or wherever loosens the peel making it easier to remove in larger pieces. But that white stuff... :pinch:

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 4
58 minutes ago, kbois said:

apples? well some are better than others, i like them cold & crisp but sometimes you bite into one and it's nasty soft & mealy

bananas....🤢

berries are nice but expensive

oranges are also messy if they're juicy but i think they are worth it

it was a long day but it's over & dinner is in the oven

• Like 4
30 minutes ago, Kitt said:

Cut a thin slice off top and bottom, then cut just thru the skin parallel to the sections. Slide thumbs in, separate 2 sections and the whole thing rolls out and separates.

Did I mention that I was peeling Cuties/Halos? (The little baby ones that practically peel themselves) 🤣. They're still a pain with all the stringy stuff. But I will try your method/sorcery next time I have a regular orange.🍊

• Like 3
9 hours ago, kbois said:

Did I mention that I was peeling Cuties/Halos? (The little baby ones that practically peel themselves) 🤣. They're still a pain with all the stringy stuff. But I will try your method/sorcery next time I have a regular orange.🍊

Works even better on them! Just be careful to only cut the peel.

• Like 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..