The Drop in Centre

• Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Kitt said:

@Reader1810What's with the little.sheild.at the bottom of your avatar?

Not sure - I just noticed it yesterday. I was going to check into it, but I got distracted by something “shiny” and forgot about it. 

Edit: I think I have a shield because I’m a moderator. 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 3
6 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Not sure - I just noticed it yesterday. I was going to check into it, but I got distracted by something “shiny” and forgot about it. 

Lol look at the rabbit!

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Edit: I think I have a shield because I’m a moderator. 

Moderator schmoderator...you are........................................................

THE DEFENDER OF WRITTEN WORDS!!! (Cue super hero music)😂 dut dut daaaahhhhh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The plumbers have to reschedule the plumbing again cause they are at a jo the owner wants finished today and the job was bigger than they thought. Then my sister asked me if the other plumbers that was here from the same company last week had come back to get the tools they left. I told her no not yet. She actually started preaching (she is not a preacher, she is a control freak) to me and said for me not to call the plumber by name even though he introduced himself that day. guess she wants me to be rude and call him 'Hey plumber guy'. And to not call him again, which I only did the next day, a courtesy call, to tell him that he left some tools here. That was the only time I ever called him.  She still keeps saying not to call him by name like I have known him a long time. I am not sure what her problem is but to me she needs to get laid to help her with her temper since it is for helping with stress relief. lol

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
  • Site Moderator

@Story Reader 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with calling someone by their first name if you know what said first name is. 

It’s sounds as if your sister wants to keep a barrier between herself and people she deals with.

In all my years of working with patients - regardless of their age - I’ve only had one that insisted in being referred to as Mrs. xxx. 

Acknowledging someone by their first name makes the situation more personable/social rather than an us vs. them relationship. 

Just my opinion, but this way of interacting with people makes any situation more positive and fruitful. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Excuse me Good Sirs and DiC friends.

Just thought i would drop in and wish everyone a “Good Afternoon”. 

Things are getting better. 

Still a work in progress. 

Went for a walk and it felt good to get out and about.

Thanks for all the well wishes 

Take Care

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

@Story Reader 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with calling someone by their first name if you know what said first name is. 

It’s sounds as if your sister wants to keep a barrier between herself and people she deals with.

In all my years of working with patients - regardless of their age - I’ve only had one that insisted in being referred to as Mrs. xxx. 

Acknowledging someone by their first name makes the situation more personable/social rather than an us vs. them relationship. 

Just my opinion, but this way of interacting with people makes any situation more positive and fruitful. 

Unless of course one uses the reference in a dismissive or demeaning manor. 

For example, when mom was being treated for cancer, her first oncologist insisted on calling me "missy" and treated me like I was trying to kill her every time I asked a question. He said she needed 2 separate biopsies, and I asked could they be done at the same time, since she had issues with anesthesia.  I got the "I am the doc. I am god" attitude.

Hence the reason he was her FIRST. The new one had a much better attitude.

Edited by Kitt
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, Story Reader said:

The plumbers have to reschedule the plumbing again cause they are at a jo the owner wants finished today and the job was bigger than they thought. Then my sister asked me if the other plumbers that was here from the same company last week had come back to get the tools they left. I told her no not yet. She actually started preaching (she is not a preacher, she is a control freak) to me and said for me not to call the plumber by name even though he introduced himself that day. guess she wants me to be rude and call him 'Hey plumber guy'. And to not call him again, which I only did the next day, a courtesy call, to tell him that he left some tools here. That was the only time I ever called him.  She still keeps saying not to call him by name like I have known him a long time. I am not sure what her problem is but to me she needs to get laid to help her with her temper since it is for helping with stress relief. lol

Your sister is wrong and you are right. There I said it. I'm sure that you've heard that old expression of catching more flies with honey rather than vinegar right?  I'm sure that @kbois will back me up when I say that if you act like a jerk to repair folks, you get put at the bottom of the list the next time you need something. But if you treat vendors with respect and kindness, they remember and go out of their way when you need them. I did property management years ago and I called my HVAC vendor on an emergency because one of my tenants who was elderly had no heat and it was freezing outside. That vendor left his Sunday church service to go and get her heat fixed.  Guess who I called when I needed to have my home systems and ductwork replaced? Yep, he got the job.  Sounds like your sister might be a bit misguided in her thought process. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, spyke said:

Your sister is wrong and you are right. There I said it. I'm sure that you've heard that old expression of catching more flies with honey rather than vinegar right?  I'm sure that @kbois will back me up when I say that if you act like a jerk to repair folks, you get put at the bottom of the list the next time you need something. But if you treat vendors with respect and kindness, they remember and go out of their way when you need them. I did property management years ago and I called my HVAC vendor on an emergency because one of my tenants who was elderly had no heat and it was freezing outside. That vendor left his Sunday church service to go and get her heat fixed.  Guess who I called when I needed to have my home systems and ductwork replaced? Yep, he got the job.  Sounds like your sister might be a bit misguided in her thought process. 

Totally agree. The previous manager nearly destroyed our relationship with our lawn guy. He couldn't stand her and the residents would complain. I had a resident yesterday come in to tell me that last time they mowed his house got skipped. He's new and the prior resident cut his own grass. I told him I'd take care of it, shot a text off to my lawn guy Steve and within two minutes he text back that he'd take care of it. Boom. The lot was added back on the mow list. The resident looked at me and said "really? It's that easy?"

Rule number 1- NEVER EVER piss off your contractor. 

Why anyone would be so rude is beyond me 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
2 hours ago, rickproehl said:

Excuse me Good Sirs and DiC friends.

Just thought i would drop in and wish everyone a “Good Afternoon”. 

Things are getting better. 

Still a work in progress. 

Went for a walk and it felt good to get out and about.

Thanks for all the well wishes 

Take Care

Good to hear from you rick!

Take care and we're here whenever you feel like shoutin' out a 'hey'.

*hugs*

• Like 1

My sister just likes to gripe and wants to make my life miserable. Just like she is. She thinks I shouldn't even have life insurance, as she says she don't which I think she is lying. She doesn't want to be a burden to her son and if she doesn't have life insurance then she will be. I wanted to give back to her and my brother for all the things they ever done for me. I didn't see what was wrong with that. But she doesn't want me to be a burden to her and our brother, so why gripe about me having life insurance when my brother is the beneficiary. He is not going to keep all of it if she is alive if I die first. And if she dies first then he gets it all when I die. I am not in that good a health. I have bad kidneys to the point that anything I eat hurts them. Or anything I drink too. Had bad kidneys all my life but they bother me so much now that I am in pain all the time. Drinking water constantly isn't helping me either. I have high blood pressure. I can not even afford to have tests done for all that so I let it go. I have female problems and need a hysterectomy but can not afford the test either. I have had to use all my savings for going to the doctor for my kidneys, but they say the same thing all the time to drink plenty of water which I do. That is all I drink except last week when my sister bought lunch for her and I and she brought tea for her and me. I have been having trouble with my kidneys before the winter storm and still am. My car needs work and she gets onto me about that. I have no control over the winter storm we have never had before here in Texas. I also have no control over me having car trouble. But she acts like it is all my fault. 

I almost had a nervous breakdown just now but I stopped by screaming my head off to let some tension loose. Just because she just keeps on and on and on about everything. I at a point where I am going to need a head doctor or I will commit suicide. I  don't want to do that at all. But if she keeps on about everything then it will happen. She is pushing me toward it. I have already been to counseling for it years ago when my husband and I kept getting in fights. He was a control freak too. I am my wits end.

• Sad 4
  • Site Moderator
2 hours ago, Kitt said:

Unless of course one uses the reference in a dismissive or demeaning manor. 

For example, when mom was being treated for cancer, her first oncologist insisted on calling me "missy" and treated me like I was trying to kill her every time I asked a question. He said she needed 2 separate biopsies, and I asked could they be done at the same time, since she had issues with anesthesia.  I got the "I am the doc. I am god" attitude.

Hence the reason he was her FIRST. The new one had a much better attitude.

I knew/know docs like that. Luckily, they’re not all like that. 

• Like 2

Now she is telling me to go to another mechanic when the one I have always used because he doesn't charge me a arm and a leg. She is just saying that cause she doesn't like the guy cause of the time she needed to have her pickup's transmission fixed and she got into a argument with him. He called my husband and told him that he was never goin to deal with her again. That she thinks everyone is stupid but her. I told her that he is reasonable and have always used him. Sounds like she wants control of my whole life. Someone just shoot me and get it over with so I don't have to deal with family any more.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Story Reader said:

Now she is telling me to go to another mechanic when the one I have always used because he doesn't charge me a arm and a leg. She is just saying that cause she doesn't like the guy cause of the time she needed to have her pickup's transmission fixed and she got into a argument with him. He called my husband and told him that he was never going to deal with her again. That she thinks everyone is stupid but her. I told her that he is reasonable and have always used him. Sounds like she wants control of my whole life. Someone just shoot me and get it over with so I don't have to deal with family any more.

Some people are only happy when everyone else is miserable.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Fae Briona said:

Some people are only happy when everyone else is miserable.

And they're usually the same ones who are miserable when everyone else is happy!

• Like 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..