The Drop in Centre

I feel utterly exhausted, as in ready to crash and burn. 

I picked up my son from work last night at 11. By the time I got home and into bed it was nearly midnight. Not long after I drifted off my phone rang. Never a good thing in the middle of the night. It was my son. He had gone out with his friend to get food and coming back his friend was going a little too fast and missed the turn onto our street and hit the stop sign. They're both OK thankfully. Son said he'd be home soon. 

An hour and a half later phone rings again. Son is outside with friend and friend's dad and his friend wants to talk to me. Outside I go at 2am. His friend was so apologetic for screwing up and putting my son in danger.  At 18 their judgment and decision making skills suck. I am glad to see though that his friend owned up to going too fast and not paying attention and that he had good manners and apologized. Granted, his dad being there may have influenced him, but the way I see it is his dad is teaching him to do the right thing. 

I never really did fall totally asleep after that and 5am came way to fast. Add in a massively busy day at work and I'm sliding off the bone done. Still have to walk the dogs and then I can finally relax...maybe. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Howdy all.  Hope things are well. 

Its fish Friday around these parts. Cincinnati has a huge Catholic tradition and so for Lent every organization around hosts a fish fry. This year they were drive thru only (just snake cars through the parking lot ya know) While we aren't religious, we do love a good fried fish. I don't fry things at home because it's unhealthy, and it's messy and I usually burn myself lol. 

Anyway. We had a great dinner. 

What's everyone else up to? 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, kbois said:

I feel utterly exhausted, as in ready to crash and burn. 

I picked up my son from work last night at 11. By the time I got home and into bed it was nearly midnight. Not long after I drifted off my phone rang. Never a good thing in the middle of the night. It was my son. He had gone out with his friend to get food and coming back his friend was going a little too fast and missed the turn onto our street and hit the stop sign. They're both OK thankfully. Son said he'd be home soon. 

An hour and a half later phone rings again. Son is outside with friend and friend's dad and his friend wants to talk to me. Outside I go at 2am. His friend was so apologetic for screwing up and putting my son in danger.  At 18 their judgment and decision making skills suck. I am glad to see though that his friend owned up to going too fast and not paying attention and that he had good manners and apologized. Granted, his dad being there may have influenced him, but the way I see it is his dad is teaching him to do the right thing. 

I never really did fall totally asleep after that and 5am came way to fast. Add in a massively busy day at work and I'm sliding off the bone done. Still have to walk the dogs and then I can finally relax...maybe. 

Good for his dad! i know you're tired but i bet that feels good in a way. You son has more good role models. i'm sure both those young men learned something.  i hope you manage to get some rest this weekend. xo

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

We eat fish.. oven baked usually, every other week.  We enjoy it. Today i knit an egg, baked macaroons that Michael can eat

and made beef curry with peas.  Also we went shopping. i am still working on my mitred blanket.

Mine is bright .. like this one:

image.png

Oh what a neat looking pattern.  I love it.   

Your dinner sounds great too! 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
Just now, Starrynight22 said:

Oh what a neat looking pattern.  I love it.   

Your dinner sounds great too! 

i have gone back to one of my fav online food places.. Budget Bytes.. Last week: Spinach Pie (amazing and good for breakfast), sweet and sour sheet pan chicken and veg (also really good), curried beef and peas and next stir fried beef and cabbage.  

the blanket is easy really.. and addictive. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

We eat fish.. oven baked usually, every other week.  We enjoy it. Today i knit an egg, baked macaroons that Michael can eat

and made beef curry with peas.  Also we went shopping. i am still working on my mitred blanket.

Mine is bright .. like this one:

image.png

Looks amazing x

• Like 4
14 hours ago, Starrynight22 said:

Its fish Friday around these parts. Cincinnati has a huge Catholic tradition and so for Lent every organization around hosts a fish fry. 

Non-practicing/participating Catholic here, but there are some things that are just part of my being; fish on Fridays is one of them. But, I like fish and eat it at least 2x a week, so it really isn't any sort of "sacrifice" for me. 

@Mikiesboy--Those are some mouthwatering macaroons that you've made and the mitered blanket looks amazing. Can't wait to see yours when it's done. 

• Like 4

Hi to everyone.

Hope you're all having a great day. It's nice here, cold again in MD. We had 3 days at 70+, now a possible snow/ice and rain mix on Tuesday and Friday. I'm tired of winter. I'd move but I can't find a place that's better than living in the DC suburbs. With the lack of tall buildings, lots of park space and museums, the DC area is really more like a European city than an American one.

My writing seems to have halted itself. I think it's all the wedding talk. Justin and I had planned on getting married last year but Covid nixed that. His parents and grandparents (and Justin) insist on a big wedding. Now though we've reserved the caterers for Saturday September 4. We will have it at his grandparent's house, their yard can hold far more people than I assume we're inviting although who knows? Maybe we'll have to rent out Meriwether Pavilion for it?

• Like 4

Well it was time to do the hair again. This time I went with the blue/black. I gotta admit...I really love it. It's like a really, really dark navy blue, but in the sun the blue is more cobalt. I may have to keep this one around for a while. 

I finally had a good night's sleep last night. Freaking miracle if you ask me. 

My son is discovering the aches and pains that come in the aftermath of a car accident. He's got a nice bruise on his throat where the seat belt caught him and his left knee is a little sore from smacking the dash. I'm so grateful that both he and his friend are okay. 

Hope everyone is having a good day!

• Like 5

Excuse me Good Sirs and DiC friends.

Just thought i would drop in and wish everyone a “Good Evening”

If anyone is getting the severe weather take care and stay safe.

thought i would share this with everyone 

Take Care

D96260AF-23EA-47F4-9659-EA29C246450E.jpeg

• Love 4
16 hours ago, kbois said:

Well it was time to do the hair again. This time I went with the blue/black. I gotta admit...I really love it. It's like a really, really dark navy blue, but in the sun the blue is more cobalt. I may have to keep this one around for a while. 

I finally had a good night's sleep last night. Freaking miracle if you ask me. 

My son is discovering the aches and pains that come in the aftermath of a car accident. He's got a nice bruise on his throat where the seat belt caught him and his left knee is a little sore from smacking the dash. I'm so grateful that both he and his friend are okay. 

Hope everyone is having a good day!

I used to love coloring my hair, when I still had hair! lol

We had this shop in the 70s/80s called Commander Salamander. They would do temp hair color and makeup. It cost but if you let them pick the color and do whatever they wanted with the makeup, it was free. My boy de jour and I always went there first early Saturday evening to get "ready" for the evening. We ended every Saturday watching and participating in the Rocky Horror Picture Show movie in Georgetown.

The only accidents I've been in I've had time to prepare so wasn't injured at all. I can imagine the shock it must do to someone's body who wasn't anticipating it.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ryan Jones said:

I used to love coloring my hair, when I still had hair! lol

We had this shop in the 70s/80s called Commander Salamander. They would do temp hair color and makeup. It cost but if you let them pick the color and do whatever they wanted with the makeup, it was free. My boy de jour and I always went there first early Saturday evening to get "ready" for the evening. We ended every Saturday watching and participating in the Rocky Horror Picture Show movie in Georgetown.

The only accidents I've been in I've had time to prepare so wasn't injured at all. I can imagine the shock it must do to someone's body who wasn't anticipating it.

I'd really love to go lavender and silver, but.... that would involve bleaching the hell out of my hair first. There's so many layers of color I'm afraid I'd fry it. Maybe when I  finally decide to let it go gray... I'll ease into it. 

Lately I've been hooked on Brad Mondo's videos. He's a stylist that posts all sorts of hair fails/hair success videos. His reactions are priceless. Some of the color combinations are pretty cool. 

• Like 2

Why is it that when you have upcoming plans for the weekend.... the week seems to drag on....?

We're going up to Tallahassee to see my older son. I miss my boy. He's moving in August and weekend trips won't be possible. It's so bittersweet to see your kids grow up. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
1 hour ago, kbois said:

Why is it that when you have upcoming plans for the weekend.... the week seems to drag on....?

We're going up to Tallahassee to see my older son. I miss my boy. He's moving in August and weekend trips won't be possible. It's so bittersweet to see your kids grow up. 

where is he moving to?

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

where is he moving to?

Either North Carolina or Kansas. All depends on if his girlfriend gets a job offer in Kansas. She's had two interviews so far. She finishes her Master's this summer and he'll graduate with a BA degree. 

Otherwise she's going to get her doctorate at UNC in Raleigh. She's been offered a scholarship and a job to help cover expenses. He's planning on getting a job wherever they land and he still wants to get a pilot's license. 

I'm happy for them either way. 

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator
4 minutes ago, kbois said:

Both avenues sound like really good options for them, and on the bright side, neither one is across the country. 

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Both avenues sound like really good options for them, and on the bright side, neither one is across the country. 

True....but one of them is a gateway to Oz.😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
11 hours ago, kbois said:

Either North Carolina or Kansas. All depends on if his girlfriend gets a job offer in Kansas. She's had two interviews so far. She finishes her Master's this summer and he'll graduate with a BA degree. 

Otherwise she's going to get her doctorate at UNC in Raleigh. She's been offered a scholarship and a job to help cover expenses. He's planning on getting a job wherever they land and he still wants to get a pilot's license. 

Raleigh is a good place, especially for someone interested in arts and music. It's not as stuffy as Durham or Charlotte. Lots of young career professionals and students.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, kbois said:

True....but one of them is a gateway to Oz.😆

Oz is overrated and Raleigh is much closer to you.  We also have kick ass barbecue, beautiful beaches and stunning mountains in NC.   

Edited by spyke
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, spyke said:

Oz is overrated and Raleigh is much closer to you.  We also have kick ass barbecue, beautiful beaches and stunning mountains in NC.   

Raleigh is definitely much closer. 10 hrs vs. 20. Plus he'd be within 5 hours of his favorite aunt. Close enough for a long weekend holiday. 

I'm not sure if I'd be able to live somewhere so landlocked. I've never lived anywhere that's been more than 2 hours from the ocean. He's young though...much more adaptable. 

• Like 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..