Open Club  ·  135 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

Not going to happen on my watch, when I go to a fast food restaraunt and  order a dr.pepper and some soft ice cream and they charge me. When she gave me my ice cream and then says have a nice day! That isn't going over me very well! I told her that ice cream was sure a high price, but did you forget something? Cause I ordered a drink too. She hang on and let me see. She opened the window up again and I am so sorry, but I have been busy! I am thinking, the order is right in front of you with the price of 2 items and you make my ice cream but don't see the drink! So not on my watch!

• Haha 1
  • Wow 3

OMG! I just got proposition by a guy I am old enough to be his mother! The guy is a friend of my stepson and their friend! He asked if he could use the shower and told me no peeking now. I told him he just took the fun out of it! He said if I do peek that I will have to wash his back! I told him I can not do that cause I am afraid of the water! he said that I should be cause he would make me even wetter than what I am afraid of! WTF! Young men going after older women these days! Oh well, at least they still think I am still looking good for my age! 

• Haha 4

The things us older people just to do something that entertained us back in the olden days would surprise the younger generation today! lol I remember cutting out pics from catalogs and making paper dolls with thin cardboard and glue for my doll house. I could stay in my room and entertain myself for hours and not make a sound which my parents use to come in the room to see if I was up to no good! Which I wasn't! Well, some times I was up to no good! I was a child at one time and mischief was something that came with childhood!

What did you do that kept you entertained in your childhood?

• Like 3
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Headstall said:
4 hours ago, dughlas said:

Mum talks about the rationing and how neighbors might trade one type of coupon for another, i.e., sugar for flour or butter. She also remembers the little packet of yellow dye that came with margarine so you could color the white margarine yellow to look like butter.

I was not even "a gleam in my father's eye" in 1953.

I used to mix the little packet with the white margarine for my mom... I liked doing it. :) 

I honestly don't remember white margarine...

Maybe any colour needed in the UK was added in the factories.

What I do remember is the foul smell that used to emanate from the local margarine factory itself. It always smelt like something had died and been allowed to putrefy for several months.:puke: 

• Haha 4
  • Wow 1
13 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

Here you go!

Image result for white margarine

White margarine

Apparently coloured margarine was illegal in the US for a number of years...

"While butter that cows produced had a slightly yellow color, margarine had a white color, making the margarine look more like lard, which many people found unappetizing. Around the late 1880s, manufacturers began coloring margarine yellow to improve sales."

"Dairy firms, especially in Wisconsin, became alarmed at the potential threat to their business and by 1902, succeeded in getting legislation passed to prohibit the coloring of the stark white product. In response, the margarine companies distributed the margarine together with a packet of yellow food coloring. The product was placed in a bowl and the coloring mixed in manually. This took some time and effort, and it was not unusual for the final product to be served as a light and dark yellow, or even white, striped product. During World War II, there was a shortage of butter in the United States, and "oleomargarine" became popular. In 1951, the W.E. Dennison Company received U.S. Patent 2,553,513 for a method to place a capsule of yellow dye inside a plastic package of margarine. After purchase, the capsule was broken inside the package, and then the package was kneaded to distribute the dye. Around 1955, the artificial coloring laws were repealed, and margarine could once again be sold colored like butter."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarine

(And it almost broke my heart to have to leave all those misspellings of the words colour, coloured, and colouring in the text quoted above.) :rofl:

• Love 1
  • Haha 4

Another interesting article on the history of margarine:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/25638/surprisingly-interesting-history-margarine

1) We can thank Napoleon III for it:

If you enjoy margarine, tip your cap to Emperor Napoleon III.

Napoleon III saw that both his poorer subjects and his navy would benefit from having easy access to a cheap butter substitute, so he offered a prize for anyone who could create an adequate replacement.

Enter French chemist Hippolyte Mège-Mouriès. In 1869, Mège-Mouriès perfected and patented a process for churning beef tallow with milk to create an acceptable butter substitute, thereby winning the Emperor’s prize.

2) Canada actually banned it:

If you think taxes and dyes are tough, then the Canadian government’s anti-margarine campaign seems downright draconian. From 1886 until 1948, Canadian law banned any and all margarine. The only exception to this rule came between 1917 and 1923, when World War I and its aftermath left butter in short supply and the government temporarily gave margarine the thumbs up.

Margarine didn’t necessarily have an easier time after the ban was relaxed, either. Quebec’s strong dairy lobby ensured that rules against dyeing remained in place in the province until 2008.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

You know it is funny when you sneeze and think, what in the world am I sneezing about cause there is not anything in the air! Then you figure out that maybe you are allergic to yourself! I may not be able to live with myself if that happens! lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..