Open Club  ·  136 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

1 minute ago, clochette said:

Sounds nice. As long as you don't climb on a chair on 2 legs to pick the fruits ;)

Part of the reason to grow them on semi-dwarfing rootstocks is to make the picking of them easier. :yes: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
11 minutes ago, Marty said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you may call them baking apples your side of the Pond...

Ugh we have one odd those in the front lawn. They're not good to eat as such. They're kinda grainy and hard like concrete! They need to be cook. They take time in a pie of put raw but are perfect mash like apple sauce or in syrup (cooked in a sugary water with a pinch of vanilla)

• Like 4
  • Love 1

in syrup (cooked in a sugary water with a pinch of vanilla)

That's what I did in September. I canned and preserved them in jars to use all year long in pies or any desserts. My brother put them in his morning smoothie. My great-aunt like them just plain out of the jar like a fresh fruit "with a spoon or 2 of the syrup for keep a good health" as she says

• Love 5

Ugh we have one odd those in the front lawn. They're not good to eat as such. They're kinda grainy and hard like concrete! They need to be cook. They take time in a pie of put raw but are perfect mash like apple sauce or in syrup (cooked in a sugary water with a pinch of vanilla)

As well as apple pies, my mum used to bake apples in the oven. She would remove the core from a whole apple, make a mixture of raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon and water, which she would put into the centre of each of the apples, and bake them on a baking tray with maybe half an inch of water in it.

They were absolutely scrumptious! :yes:

606e68ce-66a9-4fa2-a927-a88ccfc6939d.jpg

• Love 5
Just now, Marty said:

As well as apple pies, my mum used to bake apples in the oven. She would remove the core from a whole apple, make a mixture of raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon and water, which she would put into the centre of each of the apples, and bake them on a baking tray with maybe half an inch of water in it.

Oh yes those are delicious! We call them "pommes au four" or baked apples. We put chocolate and/or caramel in the center. Sometimes grandma would put puff pastry around the apple to make it a bit crunchy 

• Love 5

Urg u feel like my brain is about to explode. Or run out off my ears. Or both. Exams will start Monday at 8.00! Just the time is brutal! For the past week I've been studying like crazy, usually doing 10am to 12 and 2pm to 6 or 7pm. But now I feel like the more I'm studying the less my brain remembers...

• Like 3
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Marty said:

Sounds delicious :yes:

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, clochette said:

Oh yes those are delicious! We call them "pommes au four" or baked apples. We put chocolate and/or caramel in the center. Sometimes grandma would put puff pastry around the apple to make it a bit crunchy 

Caramel sounds good. Hot baked apple with vanilla ice cream :yes:

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Marty said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you may call them baking apples your side of the Pond...

Yes, okay, that's what I thought but it's not always safe to presume ...

• Like 4
56 minutes ago, clochette said:

Urg u feel like my brain is about to explode. Or run out off my ears. Or both. Exams will start Monday at 8.00! Just the time is brutal! For the past week I've been studying like crazy, usually doing 10am to 12 and 2pm to 6 or 7pm. But now I feel like the more I'm studying the less my brain remembers...

Step away from the studying for a while. Take a walk. Listen to some of your favourite music. Read a book (or one of Gary's creations). Just do something for yourself now and then.

One of my professors when I was at uni used to tell us to do absolutely no studying at all the night before an exam. He said that if we didn't know what we needed to by that time, we never would.

:hug: 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Marty said:

I've done that minus the raisins. We also make what we call an apple dumpling by peeling and coring an apple filling it with a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon and butter then wrapping the apple in a soft pastry crust. Those go in a baking dish along with leftover filling mixture before baking. They're eaten warm with milk or cream poured over or sometimes a scoop of ice cream. The same thing can be done with pears though that's less common.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

We had scrambled eggs and pork belly:kiss: for breakfast

We went out to the creperie for brekkie. Mum had a strawberry crepe, mine was asparagus and ham with a side of homefries.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

We're having a bit of a thunderstorm. First rain we've had in weeks. I think the April rainfall was under .5 of an inch. There was a brief period, ~5 minutes of rather large hail. Easily .5 inch in size.

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..