Open Club  ·  133 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

2 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

Tonight for dinner were having Pizza yum yum:yes:

We had these Brussels sprouts for a side dish, with pork chops and stewed apples.  :D

Spoiler

Brussels Sprouts Gratin

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

Servings: 4

Ingredients

1 pound Brussels sprouts

1 clove garlic (cut in half)

3 tablespoons butter (divided)

2 tablespoons minced shallots

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)

1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Dash ground nutmeg

1 cup milk or half-and-half

1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Fontina cheese

1 or 2 strips of bacon (cooked and crumbled)

1/2 cup fine soft bread crumbs

Preparation:

1. Heat the oven to 400 F (200 C/Gas 6)

2. Cut off the core ends of the Brussels sprouts. Remove loose outer leaves and any damaged or discolored leaves. Quarter or halve the sprouts lengthwise. Rinse well under cold running water.

3. Rub a 1 to 1 1/2-quart gratin dish or baking dish with the cut side of the garlic halves. Spray with nonstick cooking spray or lightly butter the dish.

4. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.

5. In a medium saucepan or saucier over medium-low heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the minced shallots and saute, stirring, until then are translucent. Add the flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, the pepper, and nutmeg to the saucepan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes longer. Gradually stir in the milk or half-and-half. Continue cooking, stirring, until the sauce has thickened. Stir in the shredded cheese and bacon and cook, stirring until the cheese has melted.

6. Gently fold the Brussels sprouts into the sauce. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish.

7. Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and toss with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the casserole. Bake the casserole for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the topping is nicely browned and the filling is bubbling.

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Bucket1 said:

Very chilled here :hug:how about you?

It’s Monday and it’s a holiday :2thumbs:

It was very satisfying turning off my alarm clock last night

I'm glad you can enjoy that luxury, I can't. I need to get up at the same time everyday as part of my migraine mitigation. Sleeping an hour later is enough to trigger one.

• Wow 1
  • Sad 4
On 7/27/2021 at 6:18 AM, Marty said:

Safe travels, dugh and Thistle! :yes:

Thursday I am taking the ferry to Wales, and then driving on to Lancaster, in England. This will be my first visit since March of last year, so I am really looking forward to meeting my siblings and extended family after all this time. My youngest nephew (or, to put it another way, my mother's youngest grandchild) turns 30 on Saturday, so many of the extended family will be present for that celebration. I am staying for twelve days, so should get the chance to meet any family members that miss Saturday's celebrations, as well as some of my friends. 

This was Marty's post on July 27, stating his plans to travel to his family... staying for 12 days.

On 8/3/2021 at 9:41 AM, Marty said:

Greetings, young Albert! :hug:

Pleasant, mainly sunny day, with temperature around 20°C/68°F here in the north of England today. :yes:

This is his final post in the House of Cards. He was in the north of England at the time, on Aug 3. We should have heard from him again by Aug 10 at the latest. I'm scared. That was more than six weeks ago. He should have been back tending to his garden and harvesting his crops, yet we've heard nothing. Please @Marty, if you are around somewhere, check in. Please. 

• Like 2
  • Fingers Crossed 3
1 hour ago, Headstall said:

Changed my dentist's appointment from today to Thursday. Happy Tuesday, all! :hug: 

procrastination
noun [ U ]

UK 

/prəˌkræs.tɪˈneɪ.ʃən/ US 

/proʊˌkræs.tɪˈneɪ.ʃən/

the act of delaying something that must be done, often because it is unpleasant or boring

:gikkle:
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
38 minutes ago, Headstall said:

I'm scared. That was more than six weeks ago. He should have been back tending to his garden and harvesting his crops, yet we've heard nothing. 

I'm very worried too. That's not like him to leave us without news like that... and I'm guessing he'd have access to internet even in England. I hope we'll hear something soon

• Fingers Crossed 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..