What do you do?

21 hours ago, James K said:

@Cris L I have read stories here and elsewhere on other sites, I only joined recently because I wanted to reply on the forum to a topic, but I also decided to post my first story.

To address your question, I think you do what you have been doing for many years and read the stories you like and are well written and leave the others aside. To encourage those writers you enjoy, a comment or a like goes a long way, perhaps a suggestion (in private) by personal message to a not so good writer might help them. There is quality control, of sorts, on some other sites, however, whether on those other sites it is really quality that counts or the tastes of the site owner, I pose the question.

In an amateur writing context you need to be generous in your appraisal of the writing, and I think it is a wonderful resource which is open to anyone to post their work here. Maybe those poor quality writers will improve, few people are a natural born genious although admittedly their are those with talent and potential and those without, that's life!

A diplomatic and kind response to a somewhat mean-spirited question. I wonder what the original poster suggests should be done about the authors he deems not up to his standard 🤔

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

You can tell me when you dislike something of mine. 

Carlos, for sure it ain't your writing. 

On your worst day your writing is about a gazillion times better than what I'm thinking of. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 11/12/2021 at 3:05 PM, James K said:

@Cris L I have read stories here and elsewhere on other sites, I only joined recently because I wanted to reply on the forum to a topic, but I also decided to post my first story.

To address your question, I think you do what you have been doing for many years and read the stories you like and are well written and leave the others aside. To encourage those writers you enjoy, a comment or a like goes a long way, perhaps a suggestion (in private) by personal message to a not so good writer might help them. There is quality control, of sorts, on some other sites, however, whether on those other sites it is really quality that counts or the tastes of the site owner, I pose the question.

In an amateur writing context you need to be generous in your appraisal of the writing, and I think it is a wonderful resource which is open to anyone to post their work here. Maybe those poor quality writers will improve, few people are a natural born genious although admittedly their are those with talent and potential and those without, that's life!

I totally get that I don't always enjoy a story because I don't like something. That doesn't make it a bad story. Just one I do not enjoy. 

I'm talking about the stories that are truly bad. "Like watching paint dry. Slowly!" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1
2 hours ago, C. Henderson said:

A diplomatic and kind response to a somewhat mean-spirited question. I wonder what the original poster suggests should be done about the authors he deems not up to his standard 🤔

It's not about my standard. 

I'm not an author because my writing could best be described as truly awful. I acknowledged and accept that. 

However I'd never put myself through the indignity of letting anyone read my writing.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Myr said:

This is a subject that comes up from time to time and is inherit in any place that has more or less open posting of content.  For me personally, I can forgive a whole hell of a lot of issues in a story if it has interesting characters and interesting events in an interesting setting.  I'll take 100 grammar disaster stories that have those elements than a grammar perfect story that can be summarized as "The paint dried. Slowly."  @Cia is at the opposite end and will chase you with a red pencil until every participle stops dangling.  So everyone has different tastes and different priorities.  And those change depending on mood, time, and your age as you grow and change as a person.  Your favorite story at age 10 is probably not your favorite story at age 20.

There are two sides of quality control on stories as I see it.  Grammar and Content.  You have to be at least coherent grammatically to get out of the Moderation Queue.  We also require you to build up story reputation through reactions before an author is cleared from our moderation queue.  You would be shocked and dismayed at some of the stuff that never makes it up on site.  *shudders*

Content.  This is the story part of the story.  Stories are meant to be entertaining or to provoke thought or both, typically.  Psychologically speaking, humans are hard-wired for stories. It's how we learn, grow and pass information to each other. When reading, some people like to read and reread old favorites. Comfort stories.  Others like exploring new grounds and new things. Still others, want to explore difficult topics from different directions.  Stories are what allow this to occur.  Exploring "what ifs", even the uncomfortable ones.

This brings us to the restricted or limited content and taboos.  Outside of some hard limits imposed upon us by the hypocrites at Google, which our site rules are based on, my personal approach is "as long as it is properly labeled and rated" we should minimize interference and allow it to exist.  And if you don't like it, don't read it.  Site surveys and read data do show sex is quite popular in stories.  We require some semblance of plot instead of allowing straight out dedicated erotica. If you want that, Nifty.org is an excellent resource.  Other subjects are "taboo" and explore, through story, difficult topics.  There are stories on the site that push all sorts of rules and boundaries.  But that is rather the point of the thought provoking stories.  Whether or not you wish to be provoked on said subject is down to personal taste. 

We do ask that authors properly label their stories with appropriate notes and trigger warnings where appropriate.  And we ask that readers respect those notes or alert staff to the need for more notes if they are lacking.  The report feature can be used for this.

What you should most certainly NOT do is report a story after interpreting the rules for the site staff by saying "This story violates the rules and needs to be removed."  It's not your business.  We do not tolerate the book burners here.  Whether they are the Christian Fundamentalists of my youth blocking gay books from stores and libraries or the blue haired vagina equipped males with a birth name of Karen doing some Twitter Warrior bullshit, the answer is the same. "If you don't like it, don't read it!"

And again, if you walked into some content that wasn't properly labeled that does genuinely disturb you, it is appropriate to report the story politely so that staff can add the additional information to the story.

Thank you for your perspective.

I've never reported a story, and simply can't imagine the need to, on GA

The single point of my original question was what do others do/feel/how they react in response to stories that are simply exceptionally poorly written. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Cris L said:

It's not about my standard. 

I'm not an author because my writing could best be described as truly awful. I acknowledged and accept that. 

However I'd never put myself through the indignity of letting anyone read my writing.

I'm confused about the point of this post. You're asking others how they react when they stumble upon exceptionally poor written stories on GA, what they do about it, and whether GA does any sort of quality control. Are you suggesting that there should be stricter quality control and that some writers should not be allowed to post?

If you're not suggesting that, then it seems the solution is pretty simple. What do you do in real life when you stumble upon a person you do not enjoy spending time with? You ignore them.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I don't believe it is appropriate for random readers on a site like this to try to offer criticism, however kindly intended.  In order to be constructive, criticism has to be offered in the context of an established relationship of trust and friendship.

There is too much room for misinterpretation in comments on a site such as this one.  Better to be positive, or else say nothing at all—and sometimes even a comment the poster considers positive can sound hurtful to the author.

Given all that, it would seem that the only practical course to take, whether a work is not to one's taste or not up to one's standards, is simply to move on to some other story.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1