Prompt #246 - First Line

I had to stop writing my entry because i could feel the characters developing too quickly. must finish other books first....

246 – Instant Attraction

“What now?”

I stared across at my brand new bunk-mate, the beautiful blue eyed young man with the strange and yet slightly familiar scent. He repeated the question with his lilting Nordic accent and I just stood there and stared at him until I just couldn’t take the look in his chocolate eyes any longer.

“Well I’m going for a beer.” And then I dashed out of the cabin.

This was not good. I had managed to convince my parents that applying to work at  Six Trees as a camp and activities instructor was a good thing, even though they were deeply unhappy with the idea of my being away on a residential job, living with normal humans full time, for four months. I lived close enough that I could go home at weekends, but it was a three hour drive, and I had no real reason to leave that often.

And now there was my new roommate and buddy for the summer.  Troy smelt… like home, which was fucking bizarre, because the only people who smelt like that were other bears, and Troy didn’t look like another bear, plus., there were no other families in the country that I hadn’t met, or wasn’t related too, and I’d never seen Troy before in my life. I stamped my boots on the rough grass and headed in the direction of the mess hall, our little half size staff marquee where we ate when we weren’t looking after the kids, where we could hang out and keep our stuff. There were ten of us all told, and now that induction was over and we’d all been assigned cabins the staff were drifting back towards the fridge and the stock of beer and snacks that had been provided for our first week.

“Hey Paddy!” Nic, our sort of boss, organiser and lead instructor, waved to me and then grinned, lobbing a can of Foster’s underarm. “You all settled in?”

“Aye,” I caught the can, clicked the top and snapped it open, “Cheers.”

“So remind me.” Nic cracked open his own beer and flopped down on one of the deep sofa’s that jumbled for space with the wooden tables and folding camping chairs. “You’re Scottish?”

“Yeah, but my father is Chinese. I got the height from my mum’s side of the family though.” I rubbed my hand through my hair as I swigged my beer. From my father I had gotten my thick black hair, my faintly yellowish-tea colouring, my narrowed eyes… and my fur. As a kid I had hated it, but now that I was nearly twenty one, I appreciated being different. When family met up, it was nice being the one who was different and interesting, especially because my fur was proper jet black, but because mum was much paler, the fur that made up my wide mask was practically white. In a family of brown bears, it was cool to be part spectacled. “Thank god really, my dad is really short, I’d have never lived it down.”

“Is that right?” Nic scratched at his stubble, “How come?”

“All my uncles are really tall, if I hadn’t made six feet I’d be teased for life. In my family, I’m short.”

“Well with your build you’ll be shite at the scrambling course, that’s for sure. But you go up a tree like no one business,” Nic referred to our earlier madness and fun during induction, “You and Troy both.”

“Yeah…” There was that scent again. Troy had walked in behind me and Nic handed him a beer with a friendly grin. We were both first timer’s on the job, but Nic was in his sixth year at Six Trees, though it was only his second running the show. I turned to look at Troy, and suddenly the truth hit me like a ten pound salmon right upside the head.

He was the one.

He was a shifter, though he wasn’t a bear.

We were gonna be fucking like bunnies before the sun came up.

Troy’s small smile told me that he’d realised this this well before I had, which explained his earlier question, and I thanked any gods there might have been that I didn’t blush in too obvious a manner. Troy’s pale skin was pink, his freckles very prominent across the bridge of his nose. If Nic noticed the tension between us, he didn’t say anything about it, but wordlessly we drank our beers, and maintained eye contact. I could feel him undressing me. I did the same, smirking constantly.

“Patrick…” Troy said my name like he owned it, and I shivered because I liked that. I stepped forwards.

He was the one, the man I’d been looking for and we were going to be spending the next four months in ether the company of co-workers or human children and young teenagers. I was having a hard enough time not ripping his clothes of now.

Well fuck, that was inconvenient.

• Like 5

Hopefully that's in queue after Zu and Zander's story and Rhyders.  That may have been just a hint if the story but it left me begging for more please.  Bear shifters yummy!!

• Like 1

You can add that to your list of priorities after Unexpected Liaisons and Cowboy Summer. 

At some point i have to you know, deal with the demons... oh and get married!

Hopefully that's in queue after Zu and Zander's story and Rhyders.  That may have been just a hint if the story but it left me begging for more please.  Bear shifters yummy!!

Bear shifter... singular. Give you three guess as to what Troy turns out to be.

also, no one has yet spotted the joke...

• 3 weeks later...

Ok - here's my attempt.  Had to give in and shut that little voice in my head up!

Prompt 246    What now?

“What now?  How the hell should I know what now?”  Carlos looked at the boys around him at a complete loss.

“Well you are the one got us into this!  It’ll be fun you said. What could go wrong? Famous last words!”

“Oh come on now.  How was I supposed to know mom’s car would toss a fan belt in the middle of a desert?   Or that Jason over there didn't know how to read a map and would get us lost in that desert? Or that the satellite help thingy would send a tow truck without telling us about it? Or that the tow truck driver that they sent to get us was a complete pervert? “

The day had started out innocently enough – borrow mom’s car and go out to that new amusement park on the edge of the desert. It was supposed to have the best coasters in the country and the idea of a water park, while it sounded odd to put in a desert, sounded like the best way to cool off between rides on the super coasters.  Mom had even been cooperative and only extracted the promise of one day’s labor in the garden to get the car.   

The excruciatingly slow start should have clued the boys in that celebrating Billy’s 18th birthday was not going to go the way they planned. First they all had to pitch in and get Jason’s chores done before his mom would let him leave. Then Wayne had forgotten his rescue inhaler, and they had to go back for it, and then they needed to stop for gas. Between the long line at the gas pump and the exorbitant price when they filled the car they were all a tad irritated before they even left. Being the youngest always seemed to make Billy take the brunt of the irritation when things went wrong, but today when the others started he tossed the blame right back at them. It was his birthday after all, and he wasn't going to take all the abuse they usually piled on him. Seeing how things had started he shoved the map at Jason and informed him it was his turn to navigate. No way was he going to get blamed if they got lost this time.

And lost was an understatement.  Seems no one ever told Jason that just because north on the map was at the top didn't mean that you were actually traveling north on any given road. In fact they had driven a good 30 miles in the wrong direction before someone noticed that things were looking more and more desolate and less and less like the road they had traveled to the park when Carlos’ dad had driven them out there only to find they were not open yet.

OK – so being lost isn't all that bad right? Billy reasoned that they lived in California. Find the nearest reasonably paved road and turn west. If you have to turn north or south go south till you can find another west bound, and sooner or later you have to find the coast right?  Then it’s reasonably easy to get on the coastal highway and find your way home. He had just suggested this course of action when the car made this god awful screeching noise and a loud bang under the hood announced yet another problem.  None of the boys had any experience working on cars but they all gathered around the hood to look anyway.  Bits and pieces of the fan belt were all over the engine compartment.

“I  read somewhere that you can tie a stocking or the leg of a pair of pantyhose on those pulleys real tight and it will work till you can get to help” Jimmy offered after several minutes of staring into the engine compartment and bickering among themselves.  A voracious reader, Jimmy believed there was no problem you could not find a solution for in a book somewhere.

The boys all stared at him with these dumbfounded looks on their faces. Jimmy stared back confused. “What?  I read it in one of my brother’s car magazines I think. It will work, I know it will!”

“ Ummm Jimmy?  Is there something about your wardrobe you are not telling us?  Unless you have a pair of stockings on under those jeans, just where do you propose we GET a stocking leg?” Conner poked at his ribs several times as he said this. He knew his boyfriend hated to get his ribs poked, but this one deserved it.

“Carlos?”  The tiny squeaky voice came from inside the back door where Wayne had sat to get out of the sun a bit. He wasn't exactly the most robust boy in the crowd. Small and frail, he tended to blend into the background whenever he could.   

Carlos sighed heavily as he turned to Wayne. He didn't have the patience to deal if the kid had a panic attack now.

“I know your mom tossed a fit about you using the satellite thingy the day Conner was pushing all sorts of buttons in the car just to see what they would do. But she did say it was for emergencies only. Isn't this sort of an emergency? I mean, we are lost and stranded in the desert with only a couple bottles of water each in our packs. I think this qualifies.”  He said meekly.

“OK so why did it take the squirt to think of this?” Conner grinned as he slapped Wayne on the back, a tad too hard if you asked Wayne. Darn near knocked the little guy sprawling.

Carlos smiled and reached into the glove box. Tossing the cars manual to Jimmy he continued to shuffle through the box for anything else they might find helpful.

“You’re the speed reader around here Jim. Find out how to use that satellite thing right while I find a pen to make notes once that hot voice starts talking back to us.”

“Jeez Carlos – we really need to find you a boyfriend. We are stranded out here for who knows how long with no food and little water, and all you can think about is how hot that satellite voice was? What if it’s a girl on the monitoring desk huh? Will you tell her no thanks; we’ll wait for the hot baritone to answer?”

Twenty minutes later the boys all sat in the little shade the car offered while Jimmy poured over the manual.  He had followed all the instructions but nothing seemed to be happening. No voice, male or female, came back with comforting offers of help like on the commercials

Billy looked at his brand new cell phone for the thirtieth time in the last hour. He just could not accept that there was no signal out in the middle of nowhere. His dad had said they had the most reliable system available with the widest coverage there is.  Guess it wasn't quite wide enough.

Finally one of the boys looked up to see a tow truck headed towards them. The all scrambled to their feet cheering.

There elation hadn't lasted long though.  Once the car was hooked up the boys all climbed into the car to ride back. Not exactly legal but they would never all fit in the tow truck and they all agreed they would rather pay the ticket if some bored cop caught them, than leave anyone behind in the blazing sun.  Unfortunately things didn't go as planned – again.

After what seemed like riding in the hot, disabled vehicle swaying on the tow bar forever, the boys stared in awe at the sheer size of the building the tow truck pulled them inside.  As they scrambled out of the car, the automated door slammed shut behind them.  Holding a door open for the boys, the driver waved them over to what he called “a more comfy area to wait”.

“Wait for what?” Billy demanded. “We haven’t even called our parents to come get us yet. No cell service out here. We tried! We need your phone to call for someone to come get us, and just where the hell is here anyway?”

“Here is where you will wait while my friends arrive. Then we are gonna have a little party with you sweet young things. Maybe, if you are good boys, we will sell you to the more gentle customers we know. Raise too much fuss and I can guarantee that you will not like your new homes one bit!” The huge man slammed and locked the door behind the boys.

“What now?” Jimmy asked………

Edited by Kitt

If i could ever get past the first thousand words i might Myi.     I get about to this point with everything and that little voice in my head says "ok I'm satisfied" and goes quiet till Comicfan  comes up with something else to wind it up again.

Kitt, how about  this then. "A group of boys are trapped in a large empty room knowing something horrific might be about to happen. Suddenly the lights get brighter ...." Now go finish that story. I wanna know what happens. :lol:

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...