Board shorts or speedos?

mickey1952

Summer will be here before you know it. When you hit the beach or pool, would you rather ogle hot guys wearing boardshorts or speedos? Personally, I prefer boardshorts. Nothing wrong with leaving a little bit to the imagination!

I actually really hate boardshorts for the most part. While enjoying the sun and swimming, I never saw the need to be covered up so much. Speedos were more popular for a while, but now the current style covers more flesh than most guys fathers and grandfathers ever wore. It's true that some people look better in one than the other, but that follows with every type of clothing ever made. However, someone is buying them... they're in every men's clothing magazine.

But as far as when I'm ogling... The more minimal amount of fabric of a well fitting speedo is enough to keep my imagination involved. Go Speedos!!

I spotted a guy wearing black Speedos (and a pair of flip flops) once in Santa Cruz.  He was quite visible in the crowd, walking by himself, though most people didn't stare (it's not polite to stare! ;)).  I was too afraid to take a photo of him (that would be creepy).  His body was really nothing to be ashamed of (swimmer type with great muscle definition).

Most Californian dudes wear board shorts.  That's a shame.  Plenty of them are quite handsome.  If they can wear them low, why not wear them short?

Can I vote for a blast from the past and a normal old fashioned swim suit? Much shorter and more snug than board shorts but not quite so...intimate apparel...as speedos. To me speedos look like they swiped the bottom half of a 70's era ladies bikini and board shorts always seem on the verge of wrapping around their ankles.

• Like 1

Can I vote for a blast from the past and a normal old fashioned swim suit? Much shorter and more snug than board shorts but not quite so...intimate apparel...as speedos. To me speedos look like they swiped the bottom half of a 70's era ladies bikini and board shorts always seem on the verge of wrapping around their ankles.

You bet, Kitt. Nothing wrong with adding another choice to the question.

Speedos: red.

A lot of fun to look at on the right person.

The only problem is that the people that SHOULD wear speedo DON'T and the people who should NEVER wear speedo DO.

I proved this once in the form of the Inverse Probability Theorem.

Edited by jamessavik
  • Like 2

Personally, I think it depends on body type and build. Like, I think skinny guys look better in board shorts. I also think heavier built guys look better in board shorts. The happy medium (athletic and lean) looks good in speedos, though. As with everything else, it's just a case of dressing for your body type.

Also, I think more women should wear board shorts. They do make them for girls too, and I think it looks great. :)

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, the recent trend is not only toward the board shorts, but there has also been a move away from more revealing shorts in sports.  Look at what the college and pro athletes wear in basketball, soccer or lacrosse, even when compared to what they wore in the 80s.  I certainly hope the trend goes back the other way soon.  I definitely prefer seeing fit guys in a Speedo or short-shorts.  

• Site Administrator

Unfortunately, the recent trend is not only toward the board shorts, but there has also been a move away from more revealing shorts in sports.  Look at what the college and pro athletes wear in basketball, soccer or lacrosse, even when compared to what they wore in the 80s.  I certainly hope the trend goes back the other way soon.  I definitely prefer seeing fit guys in a Speedo or short-shorts.  

Happily, that's not true for Australian Rules Football

Edited by Graeme

B) ......................Humm, interesting question, I was raised in an era that only board shorts were in. Speedos was a European thing, and we didn't have a swim team at my school. We did have gymnastics and I was one, but I wouldn't of have the guts to wear a speedo back then! :*)